PDA

View Full Version : Heated/indoor pools- tell me about them?

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:35 PM
This is sort of a spin off from the luxury thread. I think I'd like a pool, but I know very little about actually living with them. I have a building that I think would work- it's a brick built barn that I use to store my hay.

If I ever did build one, it would have to be indoor, and heated. Does anyone have an indoor pool? Tell me the good, bad and ugly?

Thanks!

luvmytbs
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:24 PM
When I was growing up several friends of my family had indoor heated pools.

One was part of the house - entering from the end of the hall way. They had a HUGE glass sliding door to the backyard they would open in the summer time.
It was fantastic.

Another friend had a pool in their basement with a wet bar and a sauna next to it. And the pool had a small waterfall coming off the wall.

And then there were some friends who built a "dome" over an in-ground heated pool they could remove during the summer. We had lots of fun in that one in the winter time, wading through snow in our bikinis under a heavy winter coat.

Maintenance was as in any pool. But the heater was the expensive part not just in electric bills but also in repairs.

Gestalt
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:29 PM
I'd love to get one of the endless pools (I think that is what they are called). It's the small above ground, enclosed pools that have a motor to create current and you swim against it. My backyard is tiny, but one of those would easily fit.

mvp
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:30 PM
Visit one first to get a feel for the cloying humidity and chlorine smell. If that passes muster with you, all else will be just as fine as you imagine.