PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear USA

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:00 PM
Anyone watch? A friend loaned me the DVDs and I've been really enjoying it. It makes me laugh more than the UK version does. ;)

Just read on Twitter that season 4 is a go. I'm excited to see what crazy ideas they get up to next.

(And strangely enough, I'm getting interested in Rallycross through TG. I want a go. It's like eventing for cars!)

CarolinaGirl
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:10 PM
I do not like the USA Top Gear. Of course I've been watching the UK version for many many years. Hubby is a car guy (and I loved TGUK before meeting him) and he agrees. The US guys just seem very scripted to us. Love the British guys, but maybe I'm partial since I'm British lol.

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:25 PM
I'm British, too. :) I've also been watching TG:UK for quite a while. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong. I just like seeing the different things on TG:USA. There's something about it that just makes me smile.

Joanne
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:46 PM
Top Gear USA--oh no.....

Top Gear BBC----yeah!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkAxbeMxVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkE029a8bys

furlong47
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:07 PM
There is only one Top Gear, and it has Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The US version is a pale, pale imitation :(

kookicat
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:18 PM
Oh, come on. It's not fair to judge it against TG:UK. TG:UK has been going for so much longer.

kimball56
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:50 PM
I was a fan of Top Gear BBC for ages and now I am a fan of both of them! Tanner Foust is just adorable! That boy can drive! I got to meet him at SEMA a couple of years ago, he was extremely nice and went out of his way to meet his fans. I am a car girl driving a Corvette!

Debbie
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:36 PM
I kinda wish they hadn't used the same name, so the US guys weren't judged by the UK show. They are different, but I love them both. We've watched TGUS from the beginning and I think it's getting better and better. Those boys are a hoot!

danceronice
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:06 PM
I did not like the first season at all. There was way too much trying to be JUST LIKE Top Gear without realizing some things work because of the presenters, not because of the format. (I swear at a certain point they were even trying to have the same dynamic between the three and were even at some points trying to ape Jezza's *inflection*...no.) But when they started to drop things that were lifted straight from the UK and find their own rhythm, they got MUCH better.

And while Jezza will always be my homeboy (we even have, by and large, the same taste in cars)...I have to say, Tanner is CUTE. US gets the win for the eye candy.

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Tanner blows me away with his driving. I was watching some of the racing and honestly, blown away.

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:36 PM
I've seen a few episodes, and when they're trying to do their own thing, they aren't half-bad. But when they re-create things Top Gear UK has already done, I'm gone.

I will admit that Tanner and Adam are sort of cute. Just not as cute as Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow. :)

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 30, 2013, 04:47 PM
The USA one is ok. Tanner is a cutie (but such a little $#!&) and Rutledge is...well, Rutledge. He's a super-nice guy IRL. I enjoy the show, but it's a one-and-done; I don't watch them more than once as a rule.

But I LOVE the British one (and I think Hammond is cuter than Tanner). Better dynamic between the presenters (and they are pretty tight; when Hammond suffered a TBI filming for the show , both Jeremy and James said they wouldn't do the show without him). And I love how much Hammond loves Oliver. I can't even think of a favorite episode, because I love them all and can watch them over and over.

kookicat
Mar. 30, 2013, 05:39 PM
I think the US show might get there yet. The UK version has been going for so long the presenters know each other inside and out. The US version just hasn't had the time for that to happen yet.

dani0303
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
It's definitely coming into its own. I wasn't thrilled about the first few seasons but I'm really loving this one.

The first seasons of UK Top Gear wasn't that great either ;)

horsetales
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:33 PM
Love the BBC TG - totally addicted. Didn't get in to the US the 1st season and haven't tuned back in. Maybe I'll try seeing some of you say it's better now.

CatPS
Mar. 30, 2013, 08:53 PM
DH and I are 100% addicted to TG UK... Jezza, Hamster, and May are unparallelled! We've tried watching TG USA, but it has always felt like a scripted rip off of the UK show.

Ainsley688
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:46 PM
I love Top Gear UK, have yet to watch the US version...actually, the BF and I started UK from the beginning, since he would skip around episodes. One of my favorites was when they came to the south, and had to write "offensive" things I their cars, lol.

We will get to the US one, at some point.

Guilherme
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:16 PM
There is only one Top Gear, and it has Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

The US version is a pale, pale imitation :(

+1

G.