PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
Not give a rats patoot about celebrities? Unless we are talking Beezie Madden, GM, or heck, my favorite BNTs.

This Grammy thing? Yeah, umm, whatever. I can't even recall what it is celebrating or awarding.

I will admit to knowing that Lindsey Lohan is a crack head. Besides that I know of Will Ferrell, Will Smith, and Christopher Walken. And no, I have no idea what recent movies they are in LOL!!

Anyone else just not into the whole celebrity fascination?

Equisis
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:39 PM
I'm not "fascinated" by celebrities, but I love movies and I am familiar with actors and actresses that I feel consistently put in great performances. I watch the awards mostly for the entertainment value and out of curiosity. I don't really "follow" celebrities or pop culture but I enjoy seeing quality work recognized!

dani0303
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
To me nothing is more boring than awards shows. It's so annoying to sign on to Facebook and see 90% of my news feed about them.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
Agreed :S

ViewParadise
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:54 PM
Don't care and am not impressed. The longer I live and the more I see, I seriously doubt that any of them could last a day in the lives of most working people that I am surrounded by. Same with 'sports stars' and the like. We hold them up, pay them insane amounts of money and worship them and why? They pretend for a living! Or throw a ball around. Whoop dee do. I have friends who are single moms with special needs kids. I seriously doubt that your average actor or NFL player could handle a DAY of that life.

TKR
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:31 AM
I have alot of respect for talent in whatever form it is. I think the actors have to work pretty hard and the hours are long. Yes, there is alot of acclaim and attention, but that can get tedious when you have no privacy. As far as athletes -- especially college level -- they are having to put in an insane amount of hours to be fit and practice as well as hit the books and try to have a social life -- they are still kids, so they have to be highly organized and responsible. To make it in a pro sport is tough -- only the very best get there and they don't last all that long and they have to sacrifice alot to be there as far as the work, travel and physical impact on their bodies - no different than those who ride in that respect. And most of us don't have the talent or would be able to take the physical abuse day in and day out either. As far as exalting them, that's up to each individual. I do think they deserve respect unless they behave badly. It's great to be able to do what you love and make a living - more power to them.
PennyG

shakeytails
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:34 AM
Me! I could trip over 99% of celebrities and not recognize them.

LordWentworth
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:37 AM
I'll admit that I generally couldn't care less and am terrible with names so can't keep them straight anyway. I do appreciate a good movie every once in a while and it doesn't hurt if the actors are good looking.

I will agree with TKR about respect for talent. Being an athlete is tough; even if you have "the perfect life" you have to work hard, generally long hours. Same goes for actors.

Alagirl
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:40 AM
we have too many celebs who are only famous for being famous...

and sadly a great number of professional athletes are nothing to look up to.

Sometimes I get suckered into looking at the one or the other 'famous' person...but the majority? Meh....

They put on their pants one leg at a time.

of course some made it a point to take the pants off....

Not impressed by the majority of the famous.

Wellspotted
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:17 AM
Me.

Interestingly, I was thinking along these lines earlier tonight watching some hilarious program about the hairstyles and clothes of women at the Oscars. Two men were discussing the women's fashions and I thought the whole thing was a hoot, as funny as the idea that these two guys actually cared and thought that their TV audience cared.

I had just come from countless hours watching Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi so the idea of clothes and hairstyles seemed even shallower (yes, I know there are bits about fashion in both movies I'd been watching).

I watched a few minutes of the Oscars tonight--didn't recognize a single celeb face or name, and didn't care.

A day or so ago there was some program on TV about the world's sexiest men--they were basing "sexy" on looks alone. Come on, there is so much more to what makes a man (and a woman, too, I assume) sexy.

lawndart
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:28 AM
The whole Hollywood scene leaves me cold.

Best thing we ever did was throw out the TV last year. :)

I good book exercises the mind, not dulls it.

It sometimes appalls me what this Country worships. :cry:

I feel the same about the Royals too.

2DogsFarm
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:39 AM
A friend who works as a TV/film Script Supervisor put it in perspective for me years ago:

"You have to remember, these are people who can memorize lines and stand where you tell them to."

Sannois
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:46 AM
Not give a rats patoot about celebrities? Unless we are talking Beezie Madden, GM, or heck, my favorite BNTs.

This Grammy thing? Yeah, umm, whatever. I can't even recall what it is celebrating or awarding.

I will admit to knowing that Lindsey Lohan is a crack head. Besides that I know of Will Ferrell, Will Smith, and Christopher Walken. And no, I have no idea what recent movies they are in LOL!!

Anyone else just not into the whole celebrity fascination?
Oh yeah, could totally care less! What a waste of time, and from what I have seen, hollywood is a total wasteland of movies anymore. Sorry, I> am with you!!

mvp
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:00 PM
I don't get it either.... and I can't picture the person who keeps this whole industry in the black.

To me, Jennifer Aniston is one of its classic products: An "everywoman," "meh" kind of actress who spends just as much time having her off-screen life chronicled as doing anything on screen.

Who actually gives a shit and, more interesting, why?

minnie
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:55 PM
Not since John Wayne died! :)

Trakehner
Mar. 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
Couldn't give a damn about what passes for celebrities. An amazing but of slutty whores, fake tits, skanky women going with even skankier guys...showing you're not wearing underwear doesn't make you a celebrity (unless your a Hilton or one of the Kardashian whores).

No interest in any of their lives.

lilitiger2
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:02 PM
No, and I wish we ddi'nt know about lindsey lohan's brazilian shave and what she ate for breakfast, and instead the media "glamorized" some of our military heros, let people know what REAL heros look like, people who SHOULD be respected. and everyday people who really make a difference in people's lives. does anyone know any of the folks who got the presidents award (for community service stuff???) of course not. I would be bored to death watching an awards show but i sure would watch a citizens service show! (as long as it didn't conflict with law and order!!) :)

Rackonteur
Mar. 29, 2013, 10:06 PM
Me. I'm not into it. For several years now I have noticed that when I see magazine covers with "sexiest man" on them, or stories about "Joe and Jane are breaking up/pregnant/whatever" I don't know who the "sexy" men are and have no idea who Joe and Jane are.

Usually don't find the sexy men all that sexy either--who can tell from a photo?

Brooke
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:43 PM
It's always interesting to me that the really big 'stars' are not the ones always in the news, or on the front of some rag. I don't care at all about celebrity, but do acknowledge real talent.

ReSomething
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:53 PM
I know someone who has been selling every tawdry story he can about his former life, just to make a buck to get by. I don't think it's healthy in any way shape or form. I don't know why anyone really CARES either. It's done, it's over. It scares me a little to think that people out there are wasting their time on this drivel.