PDA

View Full Version : Oscars!

Equisis
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
So, who is watching? Any thoughts on the nominees/winners?

Noms
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
I didnt think anyone could be worse than James Franco.

Seth Rogan is a disaster!

One thing I do appreciate is the Jaws music to cut off the long winded.....

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:49 PM
We got Daniel Radcliffe dancing. That grants about three hours of forgiveness to everything else.

Louise
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:52 PM
I turned it off after about 20 minutes. Seth whatever his name is stunk. I'll find out the results in the AM.

Tha Ridge
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:54 PM
I didnt think anyone could be worse than James Franco.

Seth Rogan is a disaster!

One thing I do appreciate is the Jaws music to cut off the long winded.....

Seth Rogan ≠ Seth Macfarlane. Huge difference, LOL.

NJRider
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
At least (I HOPE) I will not be subject to seeing or hearing Taylor Swift and WHY does Jennifer Anniston continually wear her hair in that aging, stringy hairstyle?

RedMare01
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
Still watching but...eh. Not liking this year very much.

Noms
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
Seth Rogan ≠ Seth Macfarlane. Huge difference, LOL.

Tehehehe,,, His name was oh so forgetable.:lol::lol:

darkhorsecj
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
Well, I have the show on, but not very entertaining, what I'm really doing is, well, this.

Equisis
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:06 PM
Still watching but...eh. Not liking this year very much.

Yup. I agree. Maybe it's like this every year, but everyone seems so awkward and unfinished. I didn't enjoy the Les Mis cast either, not the strongest singers to begin with and it seems like they had some trouble hearing each other onstage.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:07 PM
Am I the only one enjoying myself?

I love movie musicals, so maybe so.

overthemoon
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:08 PM
If you're performing at the Oscars and you have to lip sync... you shouldn't be performing at the Oscars.

Just sayin'.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
Yup. I agree. Maybe it's like this every year, but everyone seems so awkward and unfinished. I didn't enjoy the Les Mis cast either, not the strongest singers to begin with and it seems like they had some trouble hearing each other onstage.

The end of the arrangement was a bit of a hot mess until they all got back together. I'm not sure they were really set up for an arrangement of that size. Granted that I've been listening to the musical for years and years and have what it should sound like committed to memory, and don't deal well with any alteration to the performance of the 10th anniversary cast, the mix just didn't sound right.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
I thought the Shatner thing was very funny. That We Saw Your Boobs song was...tasteless, but it's true! The long list of Kate Winslet movies...:lol::lol::lol:

I don't even know who Seth McFarland is, but I like him.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:13 PM
I thought the Shatner thing was very funny. That We Saw Your Boobs song was...tasteless, but it's true! The long list of Kate Winslet movies...:lol::lol::lol:

I don't even know who Seth McFarland is, but I like him.

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:17 PM
Not enjoying Seth McFarlane--he is the creator of "Family Guy" so what do you expect?! The jokes seem to be falling flat, and the whole thing feels cobbled together and hurky-jerky. Must say--Catherine Zeta-Jones looks damn good for her age!

supershorty628
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one enjoying myself?

I love movie musicals, so maybe so.

I am too, yay!

I'm so happy that Brave won, I LOVED that movie.

Indy
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
I"m entertained as much as I am usually by awards shows. I'm enjoying Seth McFarland - I thought the We Saw Your Boobs song was really funny (but I think Family Guy is funny, so take my opinion for what it's worth). Also loved the Sound of Music gag.

I was loving the Les Mis part until Russell Crow came on. Everyone else sounded great to me but him. I haven't seen the movie though, but I really want to. It's one of my favorite musicals.

I find Anne Hathaway incredibly annoying. No surprise that she won, but I'm so over her.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
I am too, yay!

I'm so happy that Brave won, I LOVED that movie.

I'm so happy that Brenda Chapman was up there.

And I am going to be LOUD and PROUD in thinking that Anne Hathaway is AWESOME. Classy, articulate, intelligent enough to scare people (and that is a compliment,) and a darn good actress. Three cheers.

Equisis
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
The end of the arrangement was a bit of a hot mess until they all got back together. I'm not sure they were really set up for an arrangement of that size. Granted that I've been listening to the musical for years and years and have what it should sound like committed to memory, and don't deal well with any alteration to the performance of the 10th anniversary cast, the mix just didn't sound right.

It sounded pitchy to me and their timing was off, which is why I think they probably couldn't hear each other. It's difficult to do an arrangement like that on stage even for actors who are used to that kind of setup so I can understand the difficulty... it was a bit hard to listen to, though.

Things seem to be going a bit more smoothly now, and the audience seems to have warmed up. I am enjoying most of the guests and I think the awards are very well-deserved, on most counts!

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:39 PM
The sound is not good tonight--I've noticed several times that someone singing (Catherine Z-J and Adele) seem to be inaudible at times, and several presenters were hard to hear.

Did Adele just lip-synch that?!! It sure looked that way...boo if she did.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:41 PM
Yeah, they need to talk to the Grammy people if they want to do this again. Their mix is off.

hastyreply
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
Can't Kristin Stewart get some one to fix her hair?!

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
Can't Kristin Stewart get some one to fix her hair?!

My roommate said "Looks like she was having sex backstage."

She is too attractive to go out like that. Comb your hair. Even if you were having sex backstage.

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
I think Kristin Stewart is an awful actress. She always looks like she smelled something bad, dresses inappropriately and is so flat all the time! Ugh. I suppose she's made other movies than the Twi-Crap, but those sucked so bad, I can't believe she presented at the Oscars.

stolen virtue
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
Babs singing "memories" oh for the love of God make it stop.....

Long Spot
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
Renee should have laid off whatever she was sipping an hour or so ago. Swayin around and unable to focus.

Tha Ridge
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:51 PM
I cannot believe Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress. I love her, but that just wasn't that great of a movie. Blah.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
I cannot believe Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress. I love her, but that just wasn't that great of a movie. Blah.

Okay, but she deserves a mulligan on that presentation. Tripping really flustered her!

Daniel Day Lewis: I don't know how this happened. Really? It couldn't have been the relentless campaigning for it?

And Michele Obama? What a terrible, terrible idea.

Really anti-climatic and chaotic show after all that.

stolen virtue
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
Loved Argo, very understated film so happy that it won Best Picture. Yah it is over.

FalseImpression
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:10 AM
Have to laugh... have not watched but I followed a live chat and the opinions were SO totally different from the ones here... lol
I wish Emmanuelle Riva would have won though...

Wellspotted
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:24 AM
Turned it on for a couple of minutes while on the phone with a friend who was watching.
Didn't recognize any faces or names or film titles.
Turned it off again.

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:02 AM
I'm going to say I thought it was great! I've thought it unwatchable in recent years but I enjoyed the heck out of it, laughed out loud in several places (as did my 90-year-old granny), and enjoyed the music. I don't think Adele lip synced, but Katherine Z-J definitely did. I did think the sound mix was off in a few places, as the orchestra often seemed to drown out the singing. Hell, I can't stand Channng Tatum, and even I smiled and clapped for his dance routine! I thought it was the best Oscar in years. Then again, I always thought Billie Crystal was an annoying, self-important little prig--sacrilege, I know, so perhaps my taste runs counter to the norm.

BasqueMom
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:44 AM
Where is Bob Hope when you need him....okay, dating myself again. The sets
were gorgeous. But what's with the orchestra in another building.

Seth McFarlane left me like, angh! Some of the presenters in pairs or groups looked like they hadn't rehearsed or something. Don't go to the movies much anymore but enjoy the fashion part. It sort of seemed like a rehearsal instead of a finished production.