PDA

View Full Version : waitress flushed but the sink was dry--wtd?

suz
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:16 PM
this morning i took a friend to brunch at my favorite place, an inn owned by a man who has become a friend.
after we ordered i went to the ladies room to wash my hands, as i had patted the inn dog on our way into the building.
our waitress exited the ladies room as i approached it, tying her apron as she came out the door. i entered as the toilet finished filling and i realized as i went to the sink that it was bone dry.
should i have said something? should i write a note?
and why do i feel embarrassed about feeling icked out?

charismaryllis
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Yep, had that happen to me once--i just left before ordering any food. :(

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
She changed her clothes and tossed an unused tissue from her pocket? Who knows. Most restaurant folks have excellent hygiene, it's those of you who have never known proper cleanliness and food handling I worry about.

So ya hang out checking the dryness of sinks after people at restaurants, do ya? Did ya rub it? Or wipe it with a towel? Did you write down the level of moisture anywhere in the bathroom?

Did you check to see of the soap was full? Did you see if she was cleaning the restroom? Di you know most waitstaff always, always, use their paper towel to wipe dry the sink area and also always pick up any stray TP, paper towels, before washing hands to help ensure cleanliness for customers?

You can say something, and the owner may be concerned or may know his staff has a habit of wiping after using (HEH!) and think you are a bit of a freak parade for checking sinks enough to see if they are "bone dry".

Canaqua
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
What twotrudoc says...you can't be sure what went on. If the sink really was that dry, I'd think that the waitress had wiped it out after she used it, otherwise there'd likely be water droplets from other customers.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:51 PM
Also, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek kind of funny, it sounds more serious than it is :)

I was shoving corn on the cob and fried chicken in my mouth while typing one handed LOL!! Yes, I have since washed my right hand :lol:

shalomypony
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
Perhaps she carries a tiny size bottle of hand sanitizer with her.I do that.

saitou_amaya
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:54 PM
You could say something, but things are not always what they seem. I worked at a restaurant and never washed my hands in the bathroom after using it. I walked in the back door of the kitchen from the bathroom and washed my hands at the employee handwashing sink instead. I hated the bathroom sink because it had no paper towels, just blow dryer things, which dry out my skin. I used the kitchen sink because it had paper towels.

NoSuchPerson
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
As a former part-owner of a restaurant, I can tell you that by state law we had a handwashing sink at the entrance to the kitchen and anytime anyone entered the kitchen, they were required to wash their hands.

Also, what twotrudoc says about staff cleaning up the rest room when they use it is true, especially in smaller places where everyone tends to pitch in on everything. In fact, for me, the habit is so ingrained that I sometimes find myself in public restrooms washing my hands, drying them, and then using my paper towel to wipe off the sink and faucet before tossing it in the trash.

sketcher
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
I guess I'm just gross but it would not occur to me to go wash my hands after petting a dog unless it was a pretty skanky dog unless I had been slobbered on...

Canaqua
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
I guess I'm just gross but it would not occur to me to go wash my hands after petting a dog unless it was a pretty skanky dog unless I had been slobbered on...

I don't wash my hands after petting dogs either. I do wash my hands after petting a cat who goes outside before I eat or cook...cats who hunt kill who knows what and then groom themselves.

Casey09
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
What twotrudoc says...you can't be sure what went on. If the sink really was that dry, I'd think that the waitress had wiped it out after she used it, otherwise there'd likely be water droplets from other customers.

If she heard the toilet flush, wouldn't she have also heard the sink running? I would think that she checked and saw that the sink was dry because she didn't hear the faucet running or normal handwashing sounds.
It is true that there could be a sink by the kitchen that the waitstaff uses for handwashes. Honestly, that is great and all, but it would still gross me out that the waitstaff were touching the door handle to get out of the bathroom before washing their hands. I am a little on the obsessive side with handwashing though. Honestly, I can understand the OP's concern and I probably would have been grossed out as well. I don't know if I'd mention it or not, but it would concern me.

babecakes
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:51 PM
I wrote a note to a restaurant owner. In the height of flu season I was put off watching multiple waitresses carry drink glasses with the claw grip. And they'd pick your water glass up that way and return it with a refill the same way.

If I was an owner I would want to know.

sketcher
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
IHonestly, that is great and all, but it would still gross me out that the waitstaff were touching the door handle to get out of the bathroom before washing their hands. I am a little on the obsessive side with handwashing though. Honestly, I can understand the OP's concern and I probably would have been grossed out as well. I don't know if I'd mention it or not, but it would concern me.

It is probably safe to assume that there are plenty of customers who are not washing their hands and touching that door handle. The waitstaff are the least of the problem in that regards. The best thing is to just not touch the door handles ever- period. Or hand rails or any other surface when you can help it. I never open doors with my hands (during flu season) unless I have the sleeve of my coat between me and the door handle. I push with my forearm or elbow, use paper towel to open bathroom door handle, hold door open with my foot, toss paper in the trash on my way out.

mht
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:59 PM
I wrote a note to a restaurant owner. In the height of flu season I was put off watching multiple waitresses carry drink glasses with the claw grip. And they'd pick your water glass up that way and return it with a refill the same way.

If I was an owner I would want to know.

I am forever telling our waitstaff not to pick glasses up this way. It does seem to sink in when I tell that that they can contract hepatitis this way, if they have a cut and someone was infected! Saw a waitress once go out into the kitchen carrying glasses this way, and then return with another table's order. Sure hope she washed her hands before she touched those plates.

Because I am in this business, I am always on the look out for 'violations' when I eat at other establishments. And, because my husband delivers beer for a living, we have a few places where we will not eat. He has seen the kitchens and the coolers and knows where to stay away from!

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
Ugh! I hate the claw thing, blech! Seriously people!