PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering: Are you bulemic with respect to stuff?

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:35 PM
It seems to me that "purging" or "decluttering" stuff from our homes is a national passtime.

It seems to me, then, that there must be a buying binge somewhere in there, too.

Not that it doesn't help our economy, but do you folks have some kind of disorder?

Weirdness. Explain?

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
Well I HATE clutter, Consider myself to be a minimalist and a clean freak and hate "Stuff" The older I get the more I am like that.
I am a throw away freak. I give it away put it out by the road or Donate it.
I like neat and tidy. Could NEVER be a hoarder! :eek:

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
I am the same. I also tend to take care of my things and hold onto them. I was just noticing my still new looking knife set is going on 12 years LOL!!

I buy things for a specific purpose, I do not buy things because they are "cute", that usually works out to no knick knacks, cutesy plate collections, or God knows what else people lay all over their homes.

cranky
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:51 PM
Most of the decluttering I have been doing is, getting rid of all the old paper (junk mail, old bills, just the stuff that seems to accumulate and add up), old catalogs and magazines that I've never gotten a chance to read. Old, dusty ribbons, old pictures taking up too much surface space, Old candles, etc. It's less about purchased stuff. However, I've also thrown out a bunch of old chargers and other electronic odds & ends that are obsolete. Also, I have some old furniture pieces that moved with me to NH that I don't have a place for here and as a result, just clutters up the room it's stored in and renders the room useless. For those I will probably list on Freecycle or Craigslist.

Emryss
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:53 PM
My husband is the hoarder. I want to purge something awful, but it hurts him.

:sigh:

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
I am the same. I also tend to take care of my things and hold onto them. I was just noticing my still new looking knife set is going on 12 years LOL!!

I buy things for a specific purpose, I do not buy things because they are "cute", that usually works out to no knick knacks, cutesy plate collections, or God knows what else people lay all over their homes.
Yes Agreed. As a matter of fact, funny story, last may my 14 yr old faithful weed eater would not start! NEver ever happened before. I love that thing does not have the stupid spool of stuff but has thick pieces of plastic that weave in. NEver jams. And goes through small trees. Well I thought oh no get a new one, ,ade in tiawan?? I looked at a bunch all junky and so I did a local search for a small engine repair guy. found one 5 miles away, He put a new carb kit in it, cleaned it till it looked almost new and it ran like a top.
He said they do not make them like this anymore, he gets 6 month old items that are now junk. Some are flawed from the factory. I was thrilled with him!
I know now things are made to throw out. Really a shame! So many small businesses went away as a result of that. But that is another subject!

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
mvp, I can always tell your threads from the titles. :lol:

sophie
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
I don't like knickknacks / trinkets etc.of any sort. Our house is pretty zen. My husband is the one who "clutters" the basement and garage with his "stuff". Tools, motorcycles, a small sailboat, windsurfs, aquarium stuff etc. etc.

I tend to keep the clothes I like a long time. I still wear sweatshirts and pants and skirts that are at least 15 years old (keep clothes long enough and they come back in style!). But every so often I feel compelled to make room in my closet. When that happens they go to Goodwill, second-hand stores, the Salvation Army.
I do have a weakness for shoes, tho...which unfortunately I have passed on to my older daughter I think...:(
And books. Trying really hard not to hoard books. My local library and my Kindle help. A little.

spacytracy
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
Watching "hoarders" has made me purge. If I haven't touched it in a few years, I'm probably never gonna.
I wish I could do it for horse stuff but I always have that "what if I get another horse someday" thing in my head

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
Watching "hoarders" has made me purge. If I haven't touched it in a few years, I'm probably never gonna.
I wish I could do it for horse stuff but I always have that "what if I get another horse someday" thing in my head
Horse stuff does not count!! :winkgrin:

pony4me
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
Well if it were just me, my house would be clean and clutter-free. You believe me, right??? It's my hubby that accumulates all of the "stuff". His clutter is allowed in certain parts of the house, and not allowed in other. So right now, his car is parked outside under a tree, getting bird poop all over it, because his side of the garage is full of junk. He was supposed to Freecycle the old treadmill, clean up the tractor parts, put the extra furniture in storage, and organize his tools.

My stuff is all horse stuff, but that doesn't count. Even with horse stuff, I've managed to purge quite a bit. More stuff needs to go, but I don't have the time.

furlong47
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:48 PM
I have a lot of clutter, unfortunately, but most of the cluttery items are not things I bought for myself. People tend to give me knick-knack type items as gifts, though I'm not sure why. I also lived in one place for over 20 years of my life, and it seems like you accumulate a lot when you have the space to store it and don't have to move it. I picked it all up and brought it with me to a much smaller space about 6 1/2 years ago, so I do have to purge things on occasion if I want room for any new items. (Things like books, clothes, etc.)

Hippolyta
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:59 PM
Mother has always been borderline hoarder who has stepped over the edge. Children of hoarders are VERYANGRYPEOPLE.

I try to keep it down, but I have noticed something that I hate: I have a knickknack or something that someone gave me, so I have it out, then someone sees it & thinks I want more. Positive feedback loop of gifts...so now I have fridge magnets & other dumb ironic/kitschy shite up the ying yang.

Seriously, I am 40 friggin years old, I do not want another Star Wars toy or Muppet lunchbox. One or two bits of 'whimsy' on display are fine, but the rest are clashing with my Victorian decor.

I usually hate the getting gifts part of Christmas b/c I get a lot of crap I don't want. Mostly I find it annoying b/c I have to find a way to get rid of it.

lots of stuff to Goodwill, sometimes I consign or sell stuff on ebay, but I procrastinate until I have a huge pile

mvp
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:06 AM
Yes Agreed. As a matter of fact, funny story, last may my 14 yr old faithful weed eater would not start! NEver ever happened before. I love that thing does not have the stupid spool of stuff but has thick pieces of plastic that weave in. NEver jams. And goes through small trees. Well I thought oh no get a new one, ,ade in tiawan?? I looked at a bunch all junky and so I did a local search for a small engine repair guy. found one 5 miles away, He put a new carb kit in it, cleaned it till it looked almost new and it ran like a top.
He said they do not make them like this anymore, he gets 6 month old items that are now junk. Some are flawed from the factory. I was thrilled with him!
I know now things are made to throw out. Really a shame! So many small businesses went away as a result of that. But that is another subject!

A girl and her weedeater. You are clearly in love and I can tell why; you have a good 'n there.

Sannois
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:13 PM
It's spring, and it is really refreshing as you are doing spring cleaning to not have a bunch of STUFF, and things looks so nice too.
The way I look at it, you can't take it with you. I plan on keeping the things I have as long as they last. And my wonderful jeep, I am shooting for 300 thousand miles. got a ways to go with 146 thousand now. :D

cranky
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:21 PM
I've been doing a ton of decluttering over the past month. Had my kitchen and 1/2 bath painted, new fixtures installed. Cleared out a lot of old papers, cleaned out the bookshelves, replaced ugly beige light switch plates with white and finally hung some prints that had been stacked in my basement for years. Just this simple sprucing has made me feel so much better about my living space!

Now I have to figure out where to donate all these boxes of books stacked in my hallway and decide what I want to do next. I am leaning towards having the living room painted and the third bedroom painted and turned into an office. I would love to re-do all the flooring on my first floor, but I don't have the budget for that. So I have to be content with decluttering and painting for now. I have not yet been brave enough to tackle closets however.

Lori T
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
Our house is on the market, so we decluttered big time...filled a 19 foot PODS and took 2 loads in my truck bed to Goodwill, plus had Amvets come and pick up more (we have lived here 19 years, so alot of stuff, especially with 3 kids.)
I have my "collections"...fine horse china and my books.
Then I inherited my mom's collections...she was the definition of a collector/hoarder out of control....cobolt blue glass, Barbies (in boxes), material for her quilts, Hummels, Royal Dolton, etc. When she died, I took some of the cobolt blue, hummels, Royal Doltons, and antiques. Now that most of my stuff has been packed in the PODS and my house is nearly naked, I realize I don't want probably 85% of it back! I do want my books and horses and artwork/photography. But the rest, as I unpack it, will be offered to my kids and what they don't want, I will sell.

Skeezix
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:19 AM
I don't like clutter, and I don't like a lot of "stuff." My husband is a pack rat. I have to proceed with caution :)

ReSomething
Mar. 30, 2013, 09:22 AM
Oh yes. I try to do Flylady, which espouses keeping up with things a little every day but do find that some things get up to critical mass before they get chucked out. So we "purge" the house, but we don't so much "binge" and fill it up again intentionally by going out to collect stuff - junk mail takes cae of that, recycling is good for the environment but creates a collection of its own that has to be dealt with (no curbside here, I have to haul it off once a week or it piles up). Paperwork just gets generated - by the school, bills, activities we want to participate in always have a form that usually needs a hard copy at some point.
It really is a job unto itself to keep a house uncluttered and I'm lazy.

saddleup
Mar. 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
When I moved six years ago I downsized my home considerably. That forced me to declutter and it was great. I had no choice, so I became ruthless. It is sometimes hard, but I've resisted the urge to buy anything new without chucking something, too. I'm the type who will expand to fill the available space, so it has made me much more careful and I've saved a lot of money, too. I just say no to shopping!

Fessy's Mom
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:11 AM
I am definitely affected by "Hoarders". I swear I do my best cleaning after watching that show! :lol:

We're in the process of getting the house ready to sell and have done some major cleaning out. Hubby's always saying to set stuff aside that I'm no sure he'll want to keep. I just nod and pitch the crap in the trash. :lol: If he hasn't touched it in several years, he certainly isn't going to notice that it's gone.

Louise
Mar. 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
I indulged myself in a set of really good pots and pans last week. They should be arriving next week sometime. To get ready for their arrival, I am cleaning out the kitchen cupboards.

As I have said, probably to boredom, many times before, I live in a three generation home. I have pots, pans, bowls and general kitchenware that belonged not only to my Mother, but to my Grandmother. A lot of that is going. It has history, but, really, only to me and I'm sure I'll get over it. Heck, I'm finding stuff stuck in the back of the cupboards that I didn't even know I had, like a glass double boiler. Where did that come from, and why, I wonder? Both the garbageman and Goodwill are getting a bonanza, as a result.

I love what I'm seeing because of this. I can actually find things in the cupboards I have cleaned, plus I have an empty cupboard where the new pots and pans will go. The only thing left is the corner cupboard. You know, the kind that you have to crawl into on your hands and knees to get to the back of. Not looking forward to that, or, at least my knees aren't. I wonder what I'll find?

mvp
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:31 PM
I have my "collections"...fine horse china and my books.
Then I inherited my mom's collections...she was the definition of a collector/hoarder out of control....cobolt blue glass, Barbies (in boxes), material for her quilts, Hummels, Royal Dolton, etc. When she died, I took some of the cobolt blue, hummels, Royal Doltons, and antiques.

Now that's worthy of a spin-off right there.

I value what I collect (horse stuff) but I have *never* understood the boxed toys, cheezie figurines and such. Maybe someone can explain.

Sannois
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
I am definitely affected by "Hoarders". I swear I do my best cleaning after watching that show! :lol:

We're in the process of getting the house ready to sell and have done some major cleaning out. Hubby's always saying to set stuff aside that I'm no sure he'll want to keep. I just nod and pitch the crap in the trash. :lol: If he hasn't touched it in several years, he certainly isn't going to notice that it's gone.
Ain't that the truth!!:lol:

Sannois
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:21 PM
I indulged myself in a set of really good pots and pans last week. They should be arriving next week sometime. To get ready for their arrival, I am cleaning out the kitchen cupboards.

As I have said, probably to boredom, many times before, I live in a three generation home. I have pots, pans, bowls and general kitchenware that belonged not only to my Mother, but to my Grandmother. A lot of that is going. It has history, but, really, only to me and I'm sure I'll get over it. Heck, I'm finding stuff stuck in the back of the cupboards that I didn't even know I had, like a glass double boiler. Where did that come from, and why, I wonder? Both the garbageman and Goodwill are getting a bonanza, as a result.

I love what I'm seeing because of this. I can actually find things in the cupboards I have cleaned, plus I have an empty cupboard where the new pots and pans will go. The only thing left is the corner cupboard. You know, the kind that you have to crawl into on your hands and knees to get to the back of. Not looking forward to that, or, at least my knees aren't. I wonder what I'll find?
See but that is really cool Louise. I would kill to have some really old bowls etc from my Grandmothers era!
I wish I lived near you, I would have liked to see what you gave to the trash man! LOL

paulaedwina
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm a slob, but I don't like clutter. So my house has dirt, dust, dust bunnies the size of elephants, but minimal stuff. I never thought of bulimia as the behavior, but yes, I will chuck stuff! When I built I wanted a tiny house with no basement because I was sure at some point I'd even stop taking things down to the basement and just chuck them down the stairs. Now if something comes in something has to go.

Paula

mvp
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
Enough about the purging phase of clutter, what about the binging phase? If you just decluttered, how do you feel the next time you buy something?

Louise
Mar. 30, 2013, 01:57 PM
See but that is really cool Louise. I would kill to have some really old bowls etc from my Grandmothers era!
I wish I lived near you, I would have liked to see what you gave to the trash man! LOL

I know, lol. I saved a couple of bowls that I remember both my Mother and my Grandmother using. I just couldn't throw them out, even though they have no real value. They're chipped and stained from long use, and, truthfully, I'd be afraid to use them for fear of lead, or some other kind of contamination. But, I certainly didn't need the other bowls, the four excess muffin pans (saved one) the seven loaf pans (saved two) and the four cookie sheets(saved three, one small, and two large.)

The brutal fact of the matter is that I'm single and have always been, so no kids, and the cousins are just not interested in the stuff. So, it's going to go eventually, and it might as well be now.

For some odd reason, it's my Father's and Grandfather's tools that I just cannot bring myself to get rid of. And, who else but me would ever want a hand plow that is missing a tine?

paulaedwina
Mar. 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
I don't feel any kind of rush when I buy stuff anymore. When I was younger, purchasing things was euphoric -as evidenced by my huge credit card bills. Then I began to see some things:

1. I'd have the high and then nothing. Back to my unhappy/dissatisfied/discontented self. So I'd start off to the store, but get to the "after" before I made the purchase.

2. I realized how much control the vendors were exerting over me. The shop people that were REALLY HAPPY TO SEE ME, the ads that convinced me I couldn't live without their stuff, etc. started to look so cynical. I saw through their eyes that I was just a hungry fish to be caught on a baited hook. That was kind of pathetic and it pissed me off.

Solution:
I saw a therapist, learned to pursue the things that made me happy, really embraced the Quaker testimony for simplicity, and finally got laid off and was forced to look at my income to see whether I could survive.

I still buy things, but they are honest things. My horse needs a saddle that fits. My dog needs an NSAID. The huge difference is that post credit-card debt (still have it, still working through it) I use cash now. So a $900 saddle is $900 real dollars, not magic money. It came out of somewhere and left a hole.

Paula

MsM
Mar. 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
After watching a Horaders show or one about decluttering, I sometimes start thinking that I need to get rid of stuff!
And I do get rid of some. But as I consider getting rid of my teapot collection or some knick-knacks I have to stop and think. I like a good bit of my stuff. If it still gives me pleasure to look at it every so often or to brew a cuppa tea in a cute teapot, I think it needs to stay. For a while, after cleaning out grandmothers and then parents home, I wanted to ruthlessly get rid of all non-essentials. Then I realized that I shouldnt maintain my house to make it easier for the estate cleaners. :rolleyes: I can have some clutter!

My biggest issue has become the old furniture that was given to me 20 years ago or that I assembled that long ago. It has been replaced by better stuff and now sits in my basement. Much of it I can't move due to back issues. Eventually I will have the Salvation Army truck come.

PS. What is sad is when you finally decide to part with clothes or furniture. Then you realize it is in such bad shape you can't even donate it! :winkgrin:

sketcher
Mar. 30, 2013, 07:33 PM

Hoarders has the opposite effect on me. I watch it and think things aren't so bad around here after all. :yes: