PDA

View Full Version : Tax refund?

charismaryllis
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:59 PM
What are you doing with yours? I just bought a new pair of field boots w/mine. (In my own defense, my old pair was held together with electrical tape... :) )

Rest goes to the rent increase. :sigh:

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
It'll be divided up into savings, hay fund, and to pay down the loan on my trailer. I'm hoping to be debt free by this time next year (minus our mortgage, of course). No need to defend a field boot purchase here--I spent the last of my previous year's refund on custom fb's-- first new pair of boots in my life!

Canaqua
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
We never get one. With two working adults earning close to the same amount of money, we always owe. Withholding tables were designed for married couples where one earns the bulk of the income. I try to get it so we don't owe enough to incur an underpayment penalty, but otherwise just write that check in April.

It's OK, I'm not giving the government an interest free loan ;).

mswillie
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:23 PM
What refund? I owe the federal govt. $156.00. Worked that out damn near perfectly this year.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
I am (hopefully) using some of it to pay for a home inspection :applause:

Any extra straight into savings for eventual home decorating and repair.

Anyone need braiding this year, I am totally taking new clients :lol:

TrakHack
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:41 PM
I always dedicate my tax refund to home improvement, with one personal splurge for myself.

This year, the basement carpet is being removed and ceramic tile installed. My personal splurge was quite reasonable, Brogini boots on clearance, so I will likely update the downstairs bathroom or possibly redo upstairs flooring.

I got a very nice bonus this year that will be paid in March. That is earmarked for a split among saving, investing, and possibly a new horse (not additional, just new :) )

Crackerdog
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
We had our outdated fuse panel replaced in our house.

Justmyluck
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:55 PM
Student loan payment.

TheHunterKid90
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Annual vet visits for all my critters, paying quite a bit towards hubby's student loan, and saving the rest. :)

paulaedwina
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
Savings for adjunct dry spells, an eventing vest.

Paula

Lone
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:45 PM
Paying for my knee surgery and some dental work (it's been a *great* winter so far) if there's anything left over it'll go into my 'saving-up-for-a-horse' account.

MistyBlue
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:55 PM
Charismarylis...sounds like you were definitely due for a new pair of boots! :D
I just saw a really unique pair of boots online...someone mentioned Derby Boots on FB so I looked them up.
Bad idea. I have a boot problem as it is.

Mr Blue just did our taxes today. Not sure what we'll do with it, Mr Blue tends to go for one really frivolous item and the rest is used for savings or any bills.

War Admiral
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:23 PM
Tax refund?

I wish. :cry:

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:37 PM
Refund? Only ever happened when I bought the house when they were giving away money for that (and even then I still owed the state of Michigan.) I sold some stock last year that I'd had for 30+ years. I'll pay tons this year, I'm sure. I have a lot of things I could use it for (like a new dishwasher as I'm reaching the point I can't go la la la it's sort of cleaning much longer) but I'll owe instead.

TheJenners
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
DH and I both make about the same, but I have max withheld. Ehhh interest free loan, whatevs...not owing rocks.

Anyways :) PAID OFF MY TRUCK!!!! :) Woot woot!!! Now both trucks are paid off, motorcycle is paid off, little horse trailer is paid off, just have the mortgage and the big horse trailer. And if someone buys the house...not even that ! :)

Couture TB
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
Since we are depreciating our trailer for our business we couldn't even send ours in till the end of this month. Booo.

KateKat
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:05 AM
We never get one. With two working adults earning close to the same amount of money, we always owe. Withholding tables were designed for married couples where one earns the bulk of the income. I try to get it so we don't owe enough to incur an underpayment penalty, but otherwise just write that check in April.

It's OK, I'm not giving the government an interest free loan ;).

Precisely. We withhold enough that we always owe. I want my money at the time I earn it, not held by the government and issued as a "refund". We put aside a certain amount every month into savings that is earmarked for our tax bill so it at least earns interest.

BasqueMom
Feb. 25, 2013, 03:50 AM
Interest, something earns interest???? Just kidding.....we end of paying no matter how hard we try to estimate not doing so. DH has the max taken out of his paycheck. Should have something withheld from my SS but with low sales,
it's keeping the vet paid, the critters fed, and the cc companies happy. (and yes,
have to pay taxes on 85% of SS income as I file jointly with DH who is still working and will be forever.

charismaryllis
Mar. 29, 2013, 05:58 PM
---aaaaand ended up spending it on doctors' bills. but i got the boots anyway. ;)

LovelyBay
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:25 PM
We bought a new horse with ours, and the rest is being saved for a down payment on a house.

AffirmedHope
Mar. 29, 2013, 06:59 PM
Tax season is the only time that working a crappy retail job with lots of student loans actually pays off. I'm getting $500 back and I still haven't figured out how to treat myself but I'm going to get myself something nice for once and not just use it to pay bills.

furlong47
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:03 PM
I got $1 back, which is about as it should be. If you are getting a huge refund, you should adjust your withholdings. Then you can have that money throughout the year as you should. Otherwise you're just letting the government borrow YOUR money interest-free.

MissIntent
Mar. 29, 2013, 07:16 PM
I put mine in savings toward a new car.

Toward the many members touting the virtues of not getting a return... I understand the concept that you should only withhold the minimum, tax free loan to govt, etc etc. I'm an accountant, I work at a CPA firm with free access to wealth management services, I get it. But given that my return would have yielded me approximately $8 in interest in my savings account, and this method equals forced savings that I don't have to think about... I prefer getting a nice return.

charismaryllis
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:29 PM
Oh, i usually get just enough back from the fed to pay off the state. But last year i farted around with a roth 401k so my pre- and post-tax withholdings were out of whack. I should probably rebalance soon...

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:59 PM
I owe $1292 & a $15(?) underpayment penalty.

Thanks for reminding me that taxes are due in 2 weeks. The month of March was hell at work and I've lost track of nearly everything. I would have let the date slide right by.

horseymum
Mar. 29, 2013, 09:17 PM
Well we didn't get much back this year.....so a new bed for DD and a bunch of new tack for her new pony......a never ending black hole......I just lob money at it and hope for the best :)

msj
Mar. 29, 2013, 09:18 PM
I'll owe a little over 1K. I'd rather owe them anyway. I can earn interest on my money all yr and we all know that the govt sure can't handle what they have. :sigh:

Renn/aissance
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:41 PM
I ended up needing to report more income from sources that I hadn't had to report last year, so I thought I'd owe a couple hundred. Instead I get $50 back. I'll take it. :)

fooler
Mar. 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
Years ago I used a tax refund to purchase a custom Passier saddle. Got really lucky that year. The German Mark went down while the US Dollar went up and I paid about $500 for a saddle others paid about $1000 for before and after me. Will keep that saddle forever.
Have since modified withholding so I have better control of my money.

Anyhow it is your money, use it wisely. . . And new field boots is very wise:winkgrin:

Covergirl15
Mar. 30, 2013, 12:52 AM
Mine (just a couple hundred dollars since I'm still in college) is going towards a new saddle! Between that, babysitting money from the past few days, and what I'll hopefully get when I sell my current saddle, I almost have enough! :)

skyy
Mar. 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
This is the first time (due to life changes) and last time (because I am now an IC) that I will ever get one. It is a decent chunk of change (relatively speaking) and couldn't have come at a better time. My guy got ankle and hock injections for the first time in his entire life and DD's pony got kissing spine, lumbar and SI injections. And, poof, the refund was gone!