PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend/waste on COTH?

TrakHack
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:40 PM
My answer - a lot, probably at least 2-3 hours a day.

Some is legitimate, researching something or looking for opinions, but most is for entertainment.

I went to the barn at 8am and finished at 10am, thinking I would be soooooo productive and get things done around the house today.

Yeah, not so much.

I think I've whiled away a solid four hours reading about things like braided tails in dressage, bee-stung show hunters, and irresponsible breeders of lethal whites. I mixed in studying videos of what will hopefully be my next horse and reading her registry's BOD meeting minutes. Not 100% unproductive, I suppose, but just about.

No judgment, just wondering if others get equally sucked in by the COTH siren song.

SMF11
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
Yes! Especially when I have things to do that I'd rather not. Lately I've been pretty good (half an hour a day) but I can get totally lost and spend a good 2 -3 hours on it.

I adore COTH but sitting at a computer for hours is not how I want to spend my time . . . I'm toying with the idea of finding one of those apps (or whatever they are) that shut off the internet at pre-set times.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
Ugh. I check in daily but OT Day interrupts my study time (as in right now I should be studying). Wayyyy too much. Then when show season hits I get bad again LOL!!

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
I adore COTH but sitting at a computer for hours is not how I want to spend my time . . . I'm toying with the idea of finding one of those apps (or whatever they are) that shut off the internet at pre-set times.

Many routers have that function in their configuration settings.

Gestalt
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:51 PM
I'm on it when there are things for me to do that I don't want to, such as cleaning my house.

lovey1121
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:02 PM
I probably check in at least 3x/day, and mostly read, maybe 10-20 min/session, sometimes longer if there's an intriguing topic :D. I dont post much on horse stuff since I'm horseless since '09 and will probably remain so, and for the most part I leave the answers to the folks currently owning/riding. I post mostly when its fun or I think I have something I've gotta say:cool:

I am amazed at how much time some COTHers must spend here, given the amount of posts. I post mainly on OT days, Dressage and Menagerie, but find good stuff all over the forum to peruse:winkgrin:

DottieHQ
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Too damn much. :p :lol:

tinydragon
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
Quite a bit. I always have a multitude of tabs open, one of them being COTH, that I click through and refresh. I like reading what is posted and what people have to say (good or bad), and it's nice to have somewhere to talk about horses.

charismaryllis
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:12 PM
Well, i dunno about all y'all, but i learn a lot reading this board. (Thanks to the plantar fascitis folks--very helpful advice -wiggles toes at phone- :D )

BEARCAT
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
Way too much but my excuse is that it's 18 degrees out!!

Hulk
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:34 PM
Well alot now due to poor health ,due to stupid winter and cold. But once it warms up enough for outdoor playtime, I am sure it will be less.

Hippolyta
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:02 PM
I have thought of starting this very thread.
Answer: too dang much!!!

I def learn a lot and like getting the "news". I have never felt so up on everything horse, especially in areas outside my discipline. I do want to know everything, so its a good place to spend time :lol:

I don't watch TV or movies (some series on line), so this is my entertainment. It has cut into my reading time, which is just dumb on my part.

I check in a lot at school during downtime btn classes or when my brain is fried & needs a break.

Alagirl
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
too much.
and it is not even as active as it once used to be....

Ah, sheesh, thank you for reminding me.... :(

:lol::lol:

Equisis
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
I rarely post, but I am often perusing COTH in the evenings while eating dinner and watching TV. Probably browse about 1-2 hours a night, but only post occasionally. Considering I spend my entire day surrounded by horses, you'd think I'd want a break, but apparently not! :D

babecakes
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
I am amazed at how much time some COTHers must spend here, given the amount of posts.

I often wonder about all their equine expertise if they're on the computer all day posting .....

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
It's 1AM, I need to be up at 7AM to go take a test, and I'm posting on this thread instead of studying. Does that answer the question?

Wellspotted
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:21 AM
Maybe a couple of hours a day, most days.

I don't think of it as wasting time; it's either research or entertainment--usually starts out being one and segues to the other.

LordWentworth
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:49 AM
too much. Especially since I have a thesis due in about a week and tests/assignments coming up. It's become my escape/de-stress space.

Kryswyn
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:34 AM
Not as much as I waste on Facebook, at least according to my Google Chrome "most visited sites" page. Is it bad that my work site is consistently 3d? :eek: