PDA

View Full Version : Applying For Jobs?

PonyPeep
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:35 PM
So the local frozen yogurt shop is hiring part time. I turned in an application on Wednesday with references and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to stand out, as being 15 I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. That being said, I don't want to be annoying. If I don't hear back by Thursday I'm planning on dropping in at the store, and whenever I do hear back I'm going to make a thank you card for the owner. But is there anything else I can do to make myself stand out?

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:45 PM
Just look presentable and respectable. That alone should make you stand out amongst the other teenage applicants. Also, think about how you as a customer would want to be treated by an employee and use that in an interview if they ask you any "what if" scenarios.

bits619
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:48 PM
Ask to speak with a manager and when they will be in if there isn't one there at that time. Bring another copy of your application just in case. Be super friendly and smile,... they want to hire friendly, upbeat and energetic people who seem like they'll be easy to get along with and trustworthy. A thank you note isn't necessary at this point until you get an interview. When you dropped off applications, try to get them directly in the hands of the person hiring. If they're busy, don't hold them up but say something you like about the shop, or similar. When I worked at a boutique with a big emphasis on atmosphere/peppiness/fun, the managers wanted to see that sort of energy or personality even when just dropping off an application. They might even ask a few questions if they aren't busy just to get a feel for your attitude, like a mini audition.
Just pop back in and say you were really interested in the job and wanted to put a face to your application, or something like that. Smile and the rest will come easily!

PonyPeep
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
OK, thank you guys! I'm a pretty familiar face with most of the employees because I go there a lot (the frozen yogurt is really good :lol:) so I was hoping that could be a good thing, too. I didn't think about the additional application, that's a good move for sure!

Thanks guys!

Ticker
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
Keep in mind that employers now check out social media...including Facebook and twitter.

PonyPeep
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:10 PM
Keep in mind that employers now check out social media...including Facebook and twitter.

Yes, thank you for this. I do have both of those but they are what I'd call work-safe (no profanity, inappropriate pictures, etc) and my FB is private anyways that you have to friend me to see most of my pictures/posts.

bits619
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:46 PM
Rather than saying how often you eat the froyo (read: already a good customer...) phrase it to say you really believe the store has a great product and awesome atmosphere and you would love to sell it (read: potential employee who really WANTS people to enjoy the stuff like you do, and someone who would fit well... rather than someone who wants to eat free/discounted snackies all day). That same boutique I mentioned would get loads of 'fan girl' type applicants, but they didn't want someone who liked using the stuff, they wanted someone who loved SELLING the stuff, because it was so awesome. It's a small difference but focusing on how great their product is rather than how often you buy it is what managers want to hear, in my opinion.

PonyPeep
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
Rather than saying how often you eat the froyo (read: already a good customer...) phrase it to say you really believe the store has a great product and awesome atmosphere and you would love to sell it (read: potential employee who really WANTS people to enjoy the stuff like you do, and someone who would fit well... rather than someone who wants to eat free/discounted snackies all day). That same boutique I mentioned would get loads of 'fan girl' type applicants, but they didn't want someone who liked using the stuff, they wanted someone who loved SELLING the stuff, because it was so awesome. It's a small difference but focusing on how great their product is rather than how often you buy it is what managers want to hear, in my opinion.

You know, that is GREAT advice. I think I'm going to pop in today and see if the owner is there so I can chat with her a bit and if I can, I will mention that for sure. Thank you!!

Ticker
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
Yes, thank you for this. I do have both of those but they are what I'd call work-safe (no profanity, inappropriate pictures, etc) and my FB is private anyways that you have to friend me to see most of my pictures/posts.

Keeping your FB private is nice but some employers are insisting that you 'friend' them as an employment requirement. They want to review your on-line personality so-to-speak. Something to think about. This is one of the reasons I refuse to keep a FB account, it is not private at all. Good luck to you!

clanter
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
if the store has more than one manager, just go in and start working; it the local Subway a week to figure that neither manager had hired my son... so they kept him

PonyPeep
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:10 PM
Keeping your FB private is nice but some employers are insisting that you 'friend' them as an employment requirement. They want to review your on-line personality so-to-speak. Something to think about. This is one of the reasons I refuse to keep a FB account, it is not private at all. Good luck to you!

Yeah, I have my parents on my FB anyways so they keep it pretty clean. :winkgrin: :lol:

I went in today (dressed nicely) and spoke to the manager. I made a lot of the points mentioned here and she said she'll be in touch but I'm feeling good! Thanks again!