PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have visited Canada?

up-at-5
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
Did you love it? Tell us about where you visited and what you did?
If you haven't yet visited Canada, why not? Too far, too cold?

SarahandSam
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:35 AM
We live where we can see Canada, so we don't count. In fact, I thought Canada was a state until I was seven or eight.

We go to Toronto, Beamsville/Jordan/NOTL, and Fort Erie all the time. Went to Montreal once and need to go again in the summer...

clanter
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
several times

up-at-5
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
several times

And............

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
I am a 6+ hour drive from Canada and have visited several times, both to vacation and to horse show! British Columbia is a gorgeous province, I've been on the mainland as well as Vancouver Island--which is unbelievably beautiful--wild, forested, often wet (well, it is the Pacific Northwest!). Easy to navigate around Vancouver BC, great museums, aquariums, skiing, hiking you name it!

I'd love to go to interior BC and take a trip to Banff and the Canadian Rockies.

clanter
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
And............

There are almost 1.9 million firearms licence holders in Canada

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

and none shot at me while there, nor have any one from Knetucky

up-at-5
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:00 AM
There are almost 1.9 million firearms licence holders in Canada

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

and none shot at me while there, nor have any one from Knetucky

Point taken. Except that no one here carries guns around with them during their daily routine. Lots of hunter types up here, sadly. I'll leave it up to you to research the number of licensed to carry concealed , which will be miniscule.

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:05 AM
Only a few times, but it is breath taking. The wilderness is amazing!

Crockpot
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:10 AM
Canada is just so varied by region (as is the USA) so it would be difficult to generalize about Canada after visiting one region. What region interests you ? That would help.

BTW There are areas of the US that are generally colder than several areas of Canada. ;-)

WW_Queen
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
My hubby was from New Jersey before moving up here, and there are parts of Canada he would pass on :lol:

Pass: Any border cities (generally grungy) unless you like outlet shopping, any areas outside Toronto (unless you go 3+ hours north, where it becomes forested/lake cottage country and is very pretty), Toronto itself (people are rude).

Definitely see: Old Montreal (think cobblestone streets and trendy shopping), Jasper in Calgary (mountains), most of British Columbia (beautiful old forests) and Vancouver (shopping).

clanter
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:17 AM
Last April C-19 amended the Firearms Act to scrap the long-gun registry, it did not reinstate an old requirement for store ledgers to be kept... so there is less control in Canada then before, I think I better keep my tourism dollars in this side of the border

Shown horses in Regina, Saskatchewan and have had clients in Toronto and Montreal

Gestalt
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
I love Victoria! One of my favorite cities. I've been all around B.C. but I'm from the PNW and love this type of area anyway. Went to Pendicton once, rafted the Frazier (sp?) River and did a host of other totally fun stuff on that trip. The Canada I have seen is beautiful and the people were nice. There are many beautiful places in the US also, and it seems cheaper here. You lot have some high taxes!!

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:30 AM
I want to go to Vancouver. It's like Hong Kong, but in Canada.

up-at-5
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:32 AM
I want to go to Vancouver. It's like Hong Kong, but in Canada.

Glad you said it and not me.:yes:

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:35 AM
Well, it's true. Vancouver's population has tons of former Hong Kong residents and they were responsible for the development boom. Vancouver is also the core of Canada's film and TV industry so many of my fave shows and actors are there.

Karosel
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:08 AM
Last April C-19 amended the Firearms Act to scrap the long-gun registry, it did not reinstate an old requirement for store ledgers to be kept... so there is less control in Canada then before, I think I better keep my tourism dollars in this side of the border

Yes, especially with the high frequency we have here with mass shootings. I mean , we can't even send our kids to school here without being afraid someone is going come in and shoot them. So yes, please keep your tourism dollars on your side of the border, Canada is just too dangerous of a place to travel in.

wendy
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:08 AM
Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Montreal has the worst weather- it's not nice there any time of year, and the French people are really unpleasant and rude, I suggest not going. Vancouver is lovely- I wouldn't mind living there; Ottawa we skated on some frozen river in a freezing cold outdoor festival and had a great time; Toronto was weirdly clean and polite, didn't seem to have any character to it at all.

I'm sure if you go you'll have a totally different experience and thoughts.

Calvincrowe
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:29 AM
I'm so confused--I feel like there is a question being answered and a political sub-plot that I have no clue how it got on this thread. Did I miss another post? Thread? Sigh...

Border crossing can be slow on weekends and holidays at the Blaine crossing in WA--we've learned to go farther east to cross at Sumas--especially if hauling horses. Vancouver is a huge city, very culturally diverse, and, yes, home to many Chinese immigrants and, therefore, fabulous Chinese food!:D

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:30 AM
Um...well, I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, so "visiting" Canada was nothing special, as far as Ontario goes. It was closer than driving to the north side of Detroit. Toronto's okay, I guess, I've been a couple times (saw Colm Wilkinson in POTO when it was playing there.) I've driven across Ontario from Niagra to Sarnia/Port Huron and the lakeshore/wine region is stunning. I wish I'd had time to stop but I was in the process of moving (going to my parents it was shorter to cut across than go south around Lake Erie.)

I had one day, BARELY, in Halifax on my cruise. It's GORGEOUS. Peggy's Cove is probably the most beautiful seaside I've ever been and I very much want to go back and see more of Nova Scotia. Yes, it's a bit on the cold side, but this was last summer and when we left New York City it had been 110, so I was good with 70.

My brother has been to Montreal twice and says it's beautiful, interesting, with great food.

hastyreply
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
Yes, we went to Vancouver Island and Whistler one summer and ended in Horse Fly BC where I picked up a puppy to take back to TX. We put a lot of miles on our rent car but it was beautiful. I called it "Norway in English". LOL

sophie
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
I go maybe once a year, to Montreal and Quebec city. I love it there. People are friendly, food is great, lots to do day and night, and the Old Quebec is very cute with a European feel. Most of the time I go in April, and I've been surprised at times by very mild, beautiful weather.
If it wasn't for the cold, long winter, and the bugs in summer, I wouldn't mind moving there.
I would love to go to Gaspésie, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward island.

Janet
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:10 PM
Became a landed immigrant at Montreal in 1956. Took the transcontinental train to Vancouver. I still remember the dramatic scenery even though I was only 2. (At that time, there was no transcontinental highway. To get from Monteal to Vancouver by car you had to drive through the US.)

Lived in Vancouver (UBC- my father was part of the brain drain) until 1959 when we moved to NY IBM)

Have since visited Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottowa, and Vancouver on business.

Been to motorcycle races at Mosport and Ste. Jovite (Mt Tramblant).

Have been to Alberta, BC, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia on vaation, and i have a half cousin who lives just ouside Lunenburg.

My husband has relatives near Buffalo (right on the lake, we can see Canada). When we visit we often go to Canada for a day.

We sometmes talk about retiring to Canada.

Freebird!
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:17 PM
I went there when I was 16 to go to Spruce Meadows. The hotel we stayed at was the same hotel that a lot of the riders stayed at. which was pretty neat. Also, because of my Dad's position at Delta Airlines at the time, we got to sit in the Spruce Meadows Sky box, which was WAY beyond cool. I forget the name of the GP event, that we saw, but it was one of their biggest GP's of the year. The people were all so nice, and friendly, and it was just beyond gorgeous. Loved it!!!

WaningMoon
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:24 PM
I grew up on the border of Quebec. As a teen I went to MOntreal dozens of times to concerts. As an adult I used to go there for weekends now and again. I have always loved going to Montreal. Good food, good ppl. Love Old Montreal a lot. Been on many carriage rides through there, well kept, well treated horses from what I could tell. Very happy acting, friendly. I had a favorite I"d look for each time, Brownie, and her owner.

Traveled throughout much of Quebec, always had a nice time while doing so. Language barrier a bit difficult but have always found the ppl there to be very patient and friendly.

My worst experiences in Quebec all involved going up to bring home Canadian foals from the urine farms in the early to mid 70's. Horrible , horrible place, I try to forget about it but nope, it's still all quite clear unfortunately.

rustbreeches
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:39 PM
I drove over to the Canadian side of the falls from Buffalo as a teenager. It was much prettier on that side, and the people were nice.

I tried to convince DH that we should get married in Banff, but nobody on his side had passports. Still plan on going someday because it looks amazing. I would also love to do PEI and Nova Scotia

Karosel
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:45 PM
The Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is gorgeous.

bits619
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:01 PM
I've been twice, to Montreal and Quebec, but they were for ski trips in high school and i can't say I spent much time sober.... ahem. What I do remember of Quebec City was that it was beautiful!
I've also been to Vancouver while staying with my mom's family, but I was probably two years old (and once again when I was 5) so all i remember is a cold boat ride :-)
wish I could be more helpful lol!
I would LOVE to see Halifax and that area. My paternal grandparents were both Canadians from Halifax and it'd be cool to see the area and all the many strangers with the same last name!

NoSuchPerson
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:07 PM
My favorite outdoor vacation destination in Canada is the Lake Louise/Moraine Lake area. Hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, breathtaking scenery - it has it all. And if you get tired of Lake Louise, you can take a day to drive up the Icefields Parkway or go down to Banff.

My favorite urban vacation destination in Canada is Vancouver, B.C. I love pretty much everything about it.

equisusan
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:34 PM
Canadians and Canada are fabulous. ALERT: I'm Canadian. :-) I grew up in Halifax and also lived in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.

clint
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:39 PM
I love Canada. We have spent many of our vacations over the last 15 years there. We fell in love with Spruce Meadows and have gone back many times for the tournaments. We love visiting the Canadian rockies, and vacationed one year with friends on Vancouver Island. Many years ago we visited Montreal, when I was bike racing, and had a great time there.

Foxtrot's
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:31 PM
Bring your snowshoes and skiis, lots of warm clothing because we all live in igloos, we eat moose, elk, venison, we wear sealskin, we have a lot of wild spaces.....dontch know?

laskiblue
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:37 PM
I grew up and spent much of my adult life in southwestern lower Michigan, so plenty of time logged in Ontario, both from crossing at Detroit and crossing from the Upper Peninsula. I remember as a little one (4 or 5) when our family visited the Fort Erie area; it wasn't until decades later that I discovered a branch of her family had lived there after coming from Scotland in the late 1700s until some of them moved to Michigan in the mid-1800s. Unfortunately, my mom had passed away by then and there were no other relatives to ask about the connection.

About ten years ago, I spent a long weekend in Vancouver at a psychology convention and just loved it. I also spent a fantastic week in Toronto at a guitar festival/workshop 20 years ago (I can hardly believe it's been that long) and adored the city at that time.

FalseImpression
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
But we can't go to Walmart and buy a gun... so that should say something about our safety. We do have background checks!
I love Canada. I came here at age 22 and never went back to France. My problem is that you have to drive so darn far to see any real change in landscape... In Europe, a few hours and architecture, landscape, food, accents, languages are different. I do miss that!
I got used to the weather, but would rather have cold temperatures than hot and humid.
I love Quebec City, the Gaspé. Montreal is a big city and well, what do you expect from big city dwellers who have to commute day in and day out.
I am only a short hour from TO and avoid going at all costs.

ETA: Going to Montreal on Thursday to see my grand daughters! Riding the Via rail since the weather is iffy and it's a long trip by myself!

starrunner
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
I have been to Canada a couple times to Nova Scotia & New Brunswick. Beautiful places.

And much warmer than Wisconsin...LOL!

I love Peggy's Cove. I like wandering around Halifax. Apparently I look native enough since everytime I was in Halifax, I got stopped for directions every few minutes. :)

New Brunswick is also beautiful.

I met a group of horsewomen when I went up, so everyone was super friendly and awesome. I got to learn how to ride sidesaddle, drive a horse, ride an awesome barrel racer, etc. Awesome!

And I drank too much Timmy's.

JustInThyme
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Couldn't help but visit as I live in Michigan!. I apparently have lots of distant cousins in Canada too. The towns across the border that I've visted are always much cleaner that the US towns across the water from them. Loved the Niagra area and wished we had more time to spend in it's outlying area and its wineries. The X-country skiing in the WaWa area was fantastic (can't remember the name of the ski area we were at, tho). The people seem a bit distant but friendly enough. That highway out of Windor to Toronto, though, is one scary drive!

JustTheTicket
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
I love Canada! I lived in Ottawa for about 4 months (until I got deported :( ) My parents came to visit me up there around Christmas time, and we visited Old Montreal, which was beautiful with all the snow and Christmas lights. I miss Canada!

SarahandSam
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
If anyone's in Toronto this coming weekend, come see the Dachshund U.N. at the Harbourfront Centre! An Australian artist is staging an installation that is a meeting of the United Nations, with all the countries represented by dachshunds. Bringing both of my dachsies up to do the Friday night and Saturday afternoon show. (;

4Martini
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
I've been to Niagara Falls and kayaking on the Ottowa River. The kayaking trip was amazing. The river was great, but I remember really big bugs when we were camping.

tinydragon
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:09 PM
To fit in up here, the trick is to wear denim on denim and listen to a lot of Kansas. Kidding, that's just me.

I'm from the west coast of Canada so I'm kind of cheating by answering, but I prefer Southern Alberta.

Foxtrot's
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
So - what is wrong with denim on denim, especially in Langley, the horse capital of Canada??? Or timbits?

tinydragon
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
I'm not hating on denim on denim ;) it's one of my go to looks. Just poking a bit of fun at the "Canadian tuxedo"! Haha!

kcmel
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:42 PM
My sister married a Canadian, and for some reason decided to have her wedding in December. In Winnipeg. It was somewhere around -30F. Needless to say, I didn't get to see much scenery. Even the trip from the church to the car and from the car to the hotel was painful!

PaintPony
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
Um...well, I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, so "visiting" Canada was nothing special, as far as Ontario goes. It was closer than driving to the north side of Detroit. Toronto's okay, I guess, I've been a couple times (saw Colm Wilkinson in POTO when it was playing there.) I've driven across Ontario from Niagra to Sarnia/Port Huron and the lakeshore/wine region is stunning. I wish I'd had time to stop but I was in the process of moving (going to my parents it was shorter to cut across than go south around Lake Erie.)

I had one day, BARELY, in Halifax on my cruise. It's GORGEOUS. Peggy's Cove is probably the most beautiful seaside I've ever been and I very much want to go back and see more of Nova Scotia. Yes, it's a bit on the cold side, but this was last summer and when we left New York City it had been 110, so I was good with 70.

My brother has been to Montreal twice and says it's beautiful, interesting, with great food.

I was also going to say Peggy's Cove. I thought Nova Scotia was one of the most beautiful places ever. I loved the history of Halifax too.

My family did a Canadian cruise when I was in high school and it was pretty neat. We sailed up the St. Lawrence seaway. It wasn't the Carribean like I would have preferred, but it was cool. I also really liked the city of Quebec.

Montreal and Toronto just seemed liked big cities to me so I wasn't that interested in them.

Daydream Believer
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:07 PM
Goodness...I don't honestly know how many times I've been in Canada as it used to be our family summer vacation to all migrate with our campers and tents to Lake Constance in Ontario (near Renfrew or Eganville)...I think the little town near there is Dacre. Anyway, there are pics of us up there from when I was a baby to a teenager. Loved it...we were great friends with the farmer and his family that owned the cabin and the land we rented.

I went up several times when we lived in New York also...to Toronto several times. I never did get up in to Quebec...a regret...but I've seen a good bit of the Ontario Province.

DeeThbd
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:17 PM
I grew up and spent much of my adult life in southwestern lower Michigan, so plenty of time logged in Ontario, both from crossing at Detroit and crossing from the Upper Peninsula. I remember as a little one (4 or 5) when our family visited the Fort Erie area; it wasn't until decades later that I discovered a branch of her family had lived there after coming from Scotland in the late 1700s until some of them moved to Michigan in the mid-1800s. Unfortunately, my mom had passed away by then and there were no other relatives to ask about the connection.

About ten years ago, I spent a long weekend in Vancouver at a psychology convention and just loved it. I also spent a fantastic week in Toronto at a guitar festival/workshop 20 years ago (I can hardly believe it's been that long) and adored the city at that time.

You might have some interesting finds in the genealogy resources of the Fort Erie Public Library - http://historic.library.forterie.ca/applications/historic/cr.nsf and http://www.fepl.ca/localhistory.php . did some research on our home - the property usedf to be owned by Quakers at one point! if you find anything you'd like pics of just give me a shout:)

HorseShine
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:35 PM
I've been to Niagara Falls and kayaking on the Ottowa River. The kayaking trip was amazing. The river was great, but I remember really big bugs when we were camping.
Yep, them thar's our national bird. Maybe not quite as dignified as yer American eagle but we're as proud of 'em as maple syrup and hockey.

Foxtrot's - I'm from your town. *waves*

SolarFlare
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:59 PM
Disclaimer: I am Canadian, grew up here and still live here.

Last year, I took the VIA rail train from Toronto (which is a bit northeast of me) to Vancouver, stayed in Vancouver a week, then back on the train. It was truly a spectacular trip. I hadn't been out west before so it was a great way to see more of my country. Amazing to see the difference between the lakes and trees of northern Ontario, to the plains and river valleys of the prairies, to the Rockies and the rivers and foothills and more mountains!

VIA often has 50% off sales on - I highly suggest the trip. In fact, I'm going again this year, but planning on heading to Vancouver Island as well as the Okanagan Valley while I'm in B.C.

Previously I've also been east to the Maritimes, mostly in New Brunswick and PEI. Also absolutely gorgeous.

laskiblue
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:07 PM
You might have some interesting finds in the genealogy resources of the Fort Erie Public Library - http://historic.library.forterie.ca/applications/historic/cr.nsf and http://www.fepl.ca/localhistory.php . did some research on our home - the property usedf to be owned by Quakers at one point! if you find anything you'd like pics of just give me a shout:)

Thanks, Dee, I will definitely check that link out. That branch of the family was Quaker, in fact. The bit of information that I traced down about them is on a hard drive from a computer that turned up its heels that I have to have transferred.

Tha Ridge
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
I have! Vancouver's lovely, and Montreal is one of my most favorite cities at the moment.

BasqueMom
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:11 PM
Been to Toronto for a quick weekend but it was for a weekend with a beau. Don't remember much.

Took the boat road from Seattle to Victoria and spent the night in a B&B, loved it and the area. Spent another weekend in Vancouver during a long layover in Seattle. Enjoyed it!

JoZ
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
I have traveled to a lot of places in Canada. Having been raised in the Boston area, summer family vacations includes New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Love PEI! As an adult I've visited Calgary (including Banff and Spruce Meadows), Vancouver and Victoria for pleasure, Ottawa and Winnipeg on business. Going back to Banff this year for vacation!

shiningwizard255
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:23 PM
I've always wanted to explore Canada more in depth but I've only been to Niagara Falls and Toronto. Enjoyed myself in both places.

LordWentworth
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:13 AM
As a disclaimer, I live in Nova Scotia. I love it here. If any of you guys come to visit, I would recommend seeing Peggy's Cove, driving (or biking) the Cabot Trail and going whale watching. Of course there's other stuff to do here too but those are the big ones. Also, the leaves and scenery are absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the colours come out!

My siblings live in Montreal and I think it's fantastic. There are so many little (and big) stores to go shopping in and so much to do in the evening. The history is great, as is the architecture - especially the old city. If you go a little bit outside of the city you will end up in horse country and there are some pretty nice ponies to look at in the fields!

Kestrel
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:36 AM
During my high school years, I worked on the Washington State Ferries sailing from Anacortes, WA to Victoria, and through the San Juan Islands. Some days, I would go to Canada twice a day! Besides that, I've been to Whistler many times, both summer and winter, and to many horse show at Thunderbird and Milner Downs. I keep a separate wallet with Canadian $. I've been to Spruce once for the Masters, and went to the Olympics in Calgary. In my college years, we would go to clubs in Vancouver because the drinking age was 19 vs. 21 at home. DH spent a couple weeks rafting up on the Nahani.

Frizzle
Feb. 25, 2013, 03:17 AM
My family used to go up to the Rocky Mountains outside Calgary when I was a kid--it is absolutely gorgeous! We usually went during the summer and did a ton of hiking, horse-back riding, etc., but once we went in the winter. My brother and I had never been downhill skiing before, and after an hour-long lesson on a bunny slope we met up with some guys from the ski patrol who decided they were going to teach us how to ski. They took us down a black diamond our first time off the lift! That was terrifying/thrilling and at times pretty darn close to deadly, but thankfully we both lived to tell the tale

I'd like to go back sometime (in the summer!!!), as it really does have breathtakingly beautiful scenery--lots of mountains and lakes and wilderness.

Canaqua
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:40 AM
I have been to Montreal many times. I had a boyfriend there back in the '80s, so it was a very regular trip. I've gone back a number of times since, with friends (for the Jazz Festival) and for family vacations. It is a very nice city and it really feels like you've gone somewhere different, without a super long trip...big excitement for kids to use different money and hear another language, without springing for an expensive trip to Europe. The flight from Boston is under an hour, but it's usually faster to drive, with all the TSA security crap these days. Five hours to the bridge from my house and a very pretty drive through Vermont.