PDA

View Full Version : Spin-a-roosky: Do you give nicknames? Like 'em? Hate 'em?

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:30 PM
I do give nicknames and that means I really like the person. Mine always are derived from the person's name, not just slapped on 'em.

My horse has many, all ever-more-distant iterations of his name. Nevertheless, everyone knows who I'm talking about.

MyGiantPony
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:36 PM
I call my son Pumpkin noodle. :lol:

My dogs have nicknames. I don't know how they've learned to respond to more than one name, but they do.

Pippin = Little Man
Aunt Pittypat = Pitters or Ditters
Xander = Doodle Bug

dani0303
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:10 AM
My bf comes up with some pretty awesome nicknames for me. They're way better than pet names. My current one is "naked weirdo" because I'm slightly a nudist in my own home ;)

Luseride
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:42 AM
If I change a person's name that means I like them, if I am always saying their proper name I am being very polite to someone I do not really care for.

I did have to apologize to a mother for changing her son's name to Issac though. His name was Zack, last name began with an I. I think it was the way I saw his name in the grade book. He was always good about it and eventually answered to Issac, it was then I got the Zack part right. LOL

FitToBeTied
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:07 AM
I always call people by the name that they used when they were introduced to me. I think that is respectful of them. I hate when people try to give nicknames to other people.

MistyBlue
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:45 AM
Come from a family of nicknames...when there's that many people you mix up their actual names anyway.
I have had a few as a little one, but then all through school it was mainly Beaker. (from the Muppet Show) Even my teachers called me that.
At the barn it was Wrong Way often, I had a habit of going off course. :lol:
My daughters have nicknames, the youngest still gets called Pumpkin Head Pencil Neck at home and she's 19. Also Pumpkin Head Leatherneck, Buffy, Kiztaka and McMap Slap.
Friends I see most are Singe, Fuzznuts, Scuba Steve, Flip, SuperDave, Coon, Lawndart, Suzie Q, etc.
Mr Blue's most unfortunate nickname came about years ago when we were watching Dances With Wolves not long after it was released. He was a little gassy that night. Since then his nickname has been Wind In His Pants. :winkgrin:

Indy
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:41 AM
I hate when people try to nick-name me. My name doesn't break down to shortened versions well at all and the only logical one is awful and morbid sounding. My dad is the only one that can get away with calling me that, anyone else is going to get told not to.

I have a co-worker that insists on nick-naming everyone and their brother, whether it's appropriate or not (i.e. people who are her superiors shouldn't get cutesy nicknames even if their real names are long and complicated). She calls me by my first initial, which in and of itself doesn't bother me (my friends from college call me that, but they're my friends and there's a reason behind why that's what they call me) but SHE bothers me so I hate when she does it. Especially when she refers to me that way to other people. I think it's unprofessional in a workplace setting.

Pets on the other hand get all sorts of nicknames. My horse rarely gets referred to by her "real" name. Her name is Holly, but she's more likely Hollinchka, Linch, or Linchkies. Heck, none of the horses at our barn go by their actual barn names, which confuses the crap out of new people and the vet.
I"m pretty sure my dog thinks Farty McGoo is actually his name.

supershorty628
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:25 AM
I pretty much can't stand nicknames or pet names. If there's a reason behind one, then I'm okay with it; my advisor calls me "Westchester" because of where I'm from and that doesn't bother me, nor do I mind being called "Em," but I hate it when people call me "Emmy." No thanks!!

I have a ridiculous amount of nicknames for Nikki though, haha!

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:36 AM
If you decide you're going to call me "Renny," I better really like you, or I will start plotting the perfect murder.

That may be an exaggeration.

OTV
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
My dog and horse have a variety of nicknames. It's gotten to the point where my dog even responds to some of them. :uhoh: He eats raw so sometimes his nicknames are derived from what meal he's eaten..."fish face" "chicken lips" etc.

I also like to end names in "ee." So people I'm good friends with get their names shortened to end in "ee".

yellowbritches
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
A few people have made the mistake of calling me the shortened version of my name. That does not fly. Only my dad got away with it. It was his name for me, and calling me that makes me sad and also feels like you're stealing something from my memories of him. My mom and my siblings don't even call me that!

I have no problem, otherwise, with nicknames. My sister has gone by an odd shortened version of her name forever, and I still mainly call her that, unless with people who only know her by her given name.

And, ALL my animals have various versions of their names, nicknames, pet names, and others. Some nice....some not.

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
I always call people by the name that they used when they were introduced to me. I think that is respectful of them. I hate when people try to give nicknames to other people.

Thank you. I get very tired of people shortening my name to "Jen" or "Jenny" but especially the former is so common I just don't fight it. (There is ONE person allowed to call me Jenny without getting slapped down for it. Not coincidentally he's the business partner of the only person whom I don't begrudge texting. They've earned the right to special consideration by being the BEST BOSSES EVER IN THE WHOLE WORLD. Weirdly, person #2 generally doesn't call me any variant on my first name but rather "Miss Quail." For some reason, that amuses him.)

I give nicknames to pets and animals. People I call them what they indicate they'd like to be called, whether it's a nickname or their given name or title+name.

lovey1121
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
Oh I got it baaad. Especially with the animals, both my 5 and the 20-odd I see 5 days a week for their entire lives. Most have accompanying ditties.

Hero = Rut Roh, Ritty Rat, (SO AWFUL, I know*cringe*) Responds to all versions.
Birdie = Brid, Bridley, Breed, Boh-rrrreed, Yurl, Ma Yurl sung to My Girl
Wilson = Vilson Schmilson, Ralston, Winston, Watson
Tai = Baby, Le Baybay, just Le
Quincy = Q, BaaBaaQ, Q-trid when he has bouts of gas

and it goes on and on, for the last 30 yrs. I'm alone in the car and woods a lot:cool:

I cannot help myself--I try to keep them to myself since I had a good friend request that I refrain from using any nicknames in her presence:eek: God bless my husband, who enjoys them:) My username, Lovey, is the nickname DH and I use for each other. Feel free to cringe.

purplnurpl
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
I mostly give nick names to my pets. Sometimes a loved one if something cool comes up.

My dad called me Kissy Lou which turned into Lou Lou Belle when I was little and of course you guys can imagine I HATED IT!!! My name is Kristen. Thanks.

I had a teacher who called me Monkey.
I have a good friend whose husband calls me Wertzy. (my last name is Wertz)
I don't mind those AT ALL. They are cute.

My cat has a nick name...that I have to be careful about.
His name is J. T. Kirk. We SHOULD always call him JT. But due to a terrible ring worm issue that took over the first year of his life I had him neutered late.

I had to look at his balls for so long I ended up calling him T Bags.
YIKES. but it stuck...even after his nuggies were gone.

Explaining that one when I accidentally slip while company is in town is interesting.
My last bf embraced it and called him Bags. That made me mad actually because the nick name was from ME. Me only. : ) And the T was the important part of it. haha

The only horse I have owned who went by a name other than is barn name was Kaboom. Of course he was usually Boomer, Boom Boom or Boo, but I personally called him Brewski.

Oh, and I called my Step-dad's mule (his name was Coppertop) Jethro. But that was to be mean because I hated him.

Hulk
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
I love nick names. My family is huge on them. Its a form of affection for us. If I didnt care for a person, I would not go to the trouble to know them well enough to look into their personality and dub them accordingly. Its akin to saying I like or love you just the way you are.

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
God bless my husband, who enjoys them:) My username, Lovey, is the nickname DH and I use for each other. Feel free to cringe.

Lovey. Only my mom, old school Irish and Thurston Howell III call people that. My mom would use it in public, as in "Lovey, bring the ice chest." A total joke between me and my sister.

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
I love nick names. My family is huge on them. Its a form of affection for us. If I didnt care for a person, I would not go to the trouble to know them well enough to look into their personality and dub them accordingly. Its akin to saying I like or love you just the way you are.

Me, too.

With respect to my horse, I'll sometimes give him names that are the opposite of him, e.g. ViciousWild.

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you. I get very tired of people shortening my name to "Jen" or "Jenny" but especially the former is so common I just don't fight it.

I knew some Jennifers who seemed to think that "Jen" was the more adult upgrade from Jenny. They were serious about enforcing that change.

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:45 PM
Oh, and I have names for my sister that relate to TV or movies that we have both seen. Lots of Warner Brother Cartoons references from me to her. She doesn't mind, but doesn't return the favor because I'm kinda wallpaper in her life. She does do nicknames, but nothing made up for me, which makes sense.

Megaladon
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:49 PM
I give my pets nicknames. I named one of my chickens Chartreuse because of her eye color, that changed to Char, Miss Char, and then my neighbor called her Charlotte, so that stuck, and then I went on to Charolais--I'm insane. My cat started with Petrie, which morphed to Peaches Lee, and after I watched the movie Pan's Labyrinth Peaches Lee Toadcrump (because he looked like the toad in the movie) and how the h*** it got to his last nickname I have no idea but it's Prince (from Principle Investment--QH). He knows every name.

bits619
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
In the topic of naming babies or pets, potential nicknames play a big role in whether I think a name is usable or 'good'... If I don't like the nicknames or they're hard to come by, then i don't care for the name. If the nickname options are great, then i like the name that much more.
I also will lengthen names in order to come up with nicknames (adding an 'ie' or an 's' to the end).
I try not to give nicknames or shorten names from what people tell me is their name. Like if the person isn't my child (i have no kids, so or a kid I know well), i wouldn't ever knowingly call like a Kathy 'kath' or John 'Johnny' (assuming they introduced themselves as Kathy and john).
I don't really use or have many non-name based nicknames/pet names. Like the Wrong Way nickname, i was called u-turn for a little bit when I first started jumper courses at the barn in high school. And pilot/crater maker after a fall that put me in a helicopter, lol. But other than that there are only a few pet names I have and all from either MrB or my high school friends.
Now my pets are a different story altogether. They have more nicknames and pet names than I can recall. Scuba is scoops, ubadooba, sewer rat, and many more. Our labrador has rolls of skin that fall over her collar, prompting the nickname Ol CB for chin balls. The younger aussie is 'key-yopper' for how his name sounds when we call him, and Lulu is very often luser or lulubell/luluhell, lucifer... the old girl doesn't have many nicknames because she's too dignified and well behaved to warrant them. The retriever goes by fife or pipe, fifey or pipey or fifermeister. The weimaraner is named yolo but is almost always Yo! (I think our neighbors think we're trying to get their attention!) When he's looking for trouble, he's Yoseph.
Our fosters usually get called generic pet names since we don't feel the need to teach them a temporary name unless they'll be with us for extensive training or medical rehab stuff. So they're all yuppers, sweetie, little girl, chichi (ALL the Chihuahuas are chichi!), twiggy, and others.
I was actually thinking about it the other day, because there are a few pet names I use that i don't know where they came from. The main one is chukkah. I guess that's a polo term, or similar? Don't know how, when or why I decided it was the perfect term of endearment for a puppy. My trainer calls her horse Chowder Man which has nothing to do with his name, but it's cute.

ReSomething
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
Animals mostly. My coworker doesn't use nick names, she uses baby talk, so when we refer to a particular client she takes the last half of the business name and cutesies it up to something like picki wicki for picker. GAH!

Nope, the animals do not care and Streudel turns into stru Dell, the noodle, stru, stru stru, felix becomes flicks and flicksibubbles, snort is snortles and Crackerjack, bless his heart, is really cute and gets a LOT of cusswords.
There are too many of them to name off all the animals.

Tiffany01
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:58 PM
People call me:

Tiff
Tiffers
JiffyTiffy
Tiff-Uh-Roo
TifferWiffer

outside__line
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:04 PM
I have a lot of nicknames around friends and family.... There is only one nickname I don't like (a shortening of my given name that I just don't care for) and other than that, I don't really care. I once had a job where a coworker started calling me "Triple O G" (original gangsta) because of my legendary printer/copier repair skills. ;-) It stuck and I had that job for over 2 years. The whole office jokingly referred to me as "Triple" by the time I left; I loved it. (As I write this, I am wondering if it might have something to do with always being in military communities/environments, where nicknames are a matter of course.) At that job I also had coworkers we called "SuperLinda," "Dr. Jones," "Big Dog", "House", "Mary Mary", etc. That might be a military thing?

All of our animals have human names and nicknames. Grace Kelly is Gubby, Maera is Moose, Finnegan is Figgy, and Lucy is Lulu or Luey... or on bad days, Lucy-fur, which I think I read in a book somewhere.

As long as the nickname isn't derogatory or grating on the ears.... I like them!

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
Ooh, I want to hear some military nicknames.

A buddy of mine who did a stint in the Marines knew a guy who called everyone "duder," not dude. I have incorporated it into my repertoire. Imagine that said with a California accent.

bits619
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:07 PM
Resomething, we had a foster dog named strudel :-) she was part German Shepherd, part (probably, said to be) dutch Shepherd so she and her sister were Strudel and Tulip. Strudel became strudeldoooo and Tulip was toolie or tutu :-)

Rubyfree
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
The pets have many nicknames, but I'm not sure that counts. They all answer appropriately to their "proper" names as well as commonly used nicknames. They also all have full names which are used during times of great duress, and to a man respond to the use of their full names as any child should (Oh, sh**, she's serious!).

I generally do not GIVE nicknames, but I work in a bar with a large cast of regulars and when there are 3200 Johns in the place, nicknames help. None of our regulars have a problem with their given nicknames and often contribute to their creation.

Alagirl
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:49 AM
I am currently 'PiC'
Partner in Crime.

Too bad my PiC is moving this summer... :no::(

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:15 AM
I do NOT like nick names given to me. Fortunately for me, I have a name that simply cannot be shorted, altered, add 'ee' etc. I don't mind if others want to be called by a nick name though