PDA

View Full Version : Horse Stopping all the time! Help me figure this out plz

ClydesdaleLover
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:07 PM
Hey there,

My commercial horse (Walker) is the one horse I am riding at my barn. I have some issues with him stopping randomly while riding. When I drive him he is perfectly fine, he trots he walks and stops. Turning is a little sloppy but we (my family) are fixing that. Bu its a different story when I'm riding him. I recently road with my friend today on our 50 acres. There is a big hay field we like to hack around. I don't normally carry a whip with me but sometimes he gets on my nerves so much that i need it. Walker stops in the middle of no where and I don't know why. I don't know if he's just waiting for my friend to catch but she is usually right beside me. His saddle fits him and the only bit that works with him is his driving bit. I ride western on him, not sure if that means anything ahha. And another things is he is a pain in the butt to move any where! I kick him as hard as I can, chirp, cluck, verbal cues and he seems to ignore my whip?

Now he does move eventually but yeah like after a million tries? How can get him to stop acting like this and do you know why he is acting this way? :confused:

ClydesdaleLover
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
I forgot to mention that, when I take him out on the trails with my sisters and their horses, he's perfectly fine to be behind the gang, he just needs to follow them and hid whole life is complete.

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:31 PM
You might try putting this in the Off Course folder :). This is OT.

There are many possible reasons, most likely in this case ineffective riding (I'm not dissing you, just being quick, trust me, we all have our ineffective riding moments. Or in my case, months LOL).

Janet
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
He is ignoring your aids

Maybe he doesn't understand riding aids as well an driving aids.

I'd go back to basics and teach him "forward" under saddle from scratch.

ClydesdaleLover
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks! I'll try that today :(

AKB
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
Always carry the whip and don't hesitate to give him a quick tap when you feel him getting ready to stop. If that doesn't work, pay a trainer to help him work through it.

pj
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
My mare was a study in how you must train some horses by thinking outside the box.

As a greeny her main resistance was balking and no matter what you did refuse to move one step. Whips? She laughed at them, circle, fine but no steps forward.
With this mare while I learned I could not make her do anything I could annoy her into doing whatever.

She balked and I tightened the left rein, released and tightened the right rein, releaseed and kept doing it just enough to slightly turn her head.
First time we did this for about ten whole min. til she decided it would be much easier to go forward.

Second time it took about thirty seconds and now she goes happily wherever I point her every single time and that has been for the last nine years.

I've always said if I hadn't trained a really hard headed mule before her I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with her.

Foxtrot's
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
I think it is part of a horse's instructional manual - to just try it and see what happens. Most young horses will try it, so, they need to be taught that that is not ok. Try backing up, wait, ask, if no answer, back up again, ask, etc. Or use the stick appropriatly. He'll get over it.

The next evasion might be to try and spin and go home. They will almost always spin in one direction, so always have the opposite rein ready to react.

The fewer times they get to do it, the easier it is to change the behaviour.

Highflyer
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
What's a commercial horse?

Event4Life
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Get yourself a copy of Jane Savoie's Dressage 101. Its easy to read & understand (even for the Dressage Novice!) and very clear. It will really help you with trouble shooting flatwork issues.