PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5: 20 Years Later!

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:36 PM
I'm a huge fan of Babylon 5 and yesterday was it's 20th anniversary. Any other B5 fans here?

paulaedwina
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:39 PM
Absolutely! Gosh, has it really been 20 years?

Paula

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:40 PM
Me!!!!!!!

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
I watch all five seasons and the movies every so often. The third and fourth seasons give my home theater system a good workout with the Shadow War and Earth Civil War. I read from JMS a while ago that the show was going to be brought back and re-made a few years ago due to the success of BSG, but everything fell through with the planned network much like it did with the original show. :(

betonbill
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:43 PM
Twenty years?? It doesn't seem that long ago. Found all the DVDs on sale a couple of years ago and gave myself a Christmas present.

All time best show ever.

paulaedwina
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:51 PM
Nah, Firefly holds that accolade as far as I'm concerned.

Paula

RedHorses
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:04 PM
Yes, though I didn't start watching it until several years after it started. I am in the midst of Season Two (again) right now.

There are so many fantastic lines in that show that would only twig with a B5 fan. I mentioned that I was rewatching the series to one the other day and said that I had gotten "Purple! Green!" that day. He knew which episode I saw.

I couldn't choose a favorite character, or actor from that series. There were so many really good ones. Very few cardboard cutout characters too.

So many great one liners too.

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"

"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. What? There's always a boom tomorrow. Boom!"

"Why is it always thin air. Never fat air... chubby air... could stand to lose a few pounds air..."

"If you see something, this big, with eight legs headed your way let me know. I have to kill it before it develops language skills."

"What kind of security chief would I be if I let people like me know things I'm not supposed to know? I know what I know because I have to know it, and if I don't have to know it I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either."

"Why do your people always ask if one is ready right before you're going to do something massively unwise?"

I could go on all night. :lol: But maybe I'll just go and watch another episode.

paulaedwina
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
"Why do your people always ask if one is ready right before you're going to do something massively unwise?"

I don't remember the context of most of those lines, but this one sounds so Londo!

Paula

ShotenStar
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:32 PM
We also re-watch every other year (alternating with with Farscape and Firefly). Still some of the best story telling around.

*star*

ShotenStar
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:33 PM

I don't remember the context of most of those lines, but this one sounds so Londo!

Paula

i believe it was Delenn to Sheridan.

*star*

paulaedwina
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:36 PM
Nerd! :lol::lol:

Paula

RedHorses
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:28 AM
i believe it was Delenn to Sheridan.

*star*

Close - Delenn to Sinclair when they are about to steal Babylon 4.

His answer? "Tradition."

paulaedwina
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
I love you guys. :) This conversation is giving me a warm feeling.

Paula

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:17 AM
I remember when they were doing a B5 videogame back in the late 90's. That was gonna be awesome. They filmed a whole episode worth of footage around it and nobody ever got to play it. You'd use everything from a Starfury to a White Star and command multiple ships. I don't know what the plot was, though I know that Londo Mollari was involved and it may have been during the 4th-5th season period.

ShotenStar
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:40 AM
Close - Delenn to Sinclair when they are about to steal Babylon 4.

His answer? "Tradition."

I think this line / thought actually showed up three times:

-the Delenn / Sinclair exchange
-an scene with Ivanova and someone (G'Kar?)
-one with Galen, possibly in "Crusade"

It seems to have been a favorite theme with JMS.

*star*

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
"You take, Zathras die. You leave, Zathras die. Either way, is bad for Zathras." (Poor Zathras.)

"Tell me, Mr. Garibaldi. On a scale of one to ten...how stupid do you think I am?"

I was so excited the year I met J. Michael Straczynski at GenGon I completely forgot to ask for a picture with him and an autograph! I had to go back. He was very good-natured about it. Maybe because I had gloves and a Psi Corps pin. ;) Also met Walter Koenig and got his autograph (I liked him as Chekov, I ADORE him as Bester) and the late Richard Biggs (Dr. Franklin), the year before he passed away.

No one mentioned Ivanova's crowning moment of funny? "Human style."

JanM
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
I loved that show! I can't believe it's been 20 years either. It's sad that so many of the actors are gone though.

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:32 PM
If you ever watch "Dawn Of The Dead" - the remake - Bruce Boxleitner and Richard Biggs both had uncredited parts as the President and News Anchor in the director's cut.

ShotenStar
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:24 PM
Pat Tallman (Lyta Alexander) has a Facebook page and posted this in honor of the 20th anniversary:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=430194093723793&set=a.130751920334680.31867.128609907215548&type=1&relevant_count=1

*star*

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:28 PM
That was a great show. Great story line.

RedHorses
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:43 PM
Zathrus was great!

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite. Zathrus is finite. This... is wrong tool. Never use this."

I think the appeal for me was that underlying story. It was known up front and they could drop the little hints of something building. Even though we couldn't guess where it was going or even which bits were significant, once it arrived we could see where something had come from. For the first time I heard what Kosh said to Sinclair in the pilot episode (when Lyta was scanning his memory of what happened when he got off his ship). "En'til'zah Valen" (excuse my spelling please). Even if I had heard it at the time, it would have been meaningless for years.

charismaryllis
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
A bumper sticker i have but never got around to putting on a car:

Ivanova is always right. You will listen to Ivanova. Ivanova is God.

:D

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
I've been hoping that WB will re-master the show at some point ala Star Trek TNG since Paramount is doing that for all the film-based Trek shows.

Couture TB
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:49 PM
20 years already? Wow. Loved Babylon 5. My father and I use to watch it together