PDA

View Full Version : Well, I am freaking out and flailing around!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
I made an offer on a house Thursday afternoon. They accepted.

ERMAHGERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I KNOW that in this next month a lot of things can go wrong. But! I am over the top excited! They are paying closing costs and my mortgage/ins/tax payment will be a whopping...

$650.00 per month

Yes, it is a little just under 1000 square foot 2 bed 1 bath but it is brand new and not touched. Not even the yard! Perfect for me and two little cats :)

It is also 6.7 miles to work (instead of 20-25 depending on which campus), 30 minutes less of a drive to the Monroe Showgrounds, 30 mins to Donida Farm, 15 to the Tacoma Unit Showgrounds, and 15 to the Puyallup Fairgrounds.

:applause::applause::applause::D:D

ManyDogs
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:14 PM
!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!

cowboymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Start packing! Congrats!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks!! *squealing and scaring the cats*

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:17 PM
Cowboy, we don't close until March 29! I am trying not to get too carried away, you seem to fall in the same category of "Gets Excited As All Get Out" like I do LOL!!

Louise
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
That sounds fantastic! Congratulations and good luck on your move into home ownership.

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks Louise :) I am super excited! And, since the yard is a small wild area, I will be able to work off some fat putting in the landscaping!

MistyBlue
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:40 PM
Wow! HUGE congrats!!! How exciting!

Are you planning landscaping and paint colors yet?
All brand new? Awesome!

So where are the photos???

BTW, so jealous that your mortgage, insurance and taxes are about the same as my property taxes alone, LOL! :eek: :lol:

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks!! *squealing and scaring the cats*

Yer scarin da cats!

And more scaring is coming before it gets better. Cats are not into moving. I hope your place is great. Did you get any amenities that a cat would like?

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:48 PM
I made an offer on a house Thursday afternoon. They accepted.

ERMAHGERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I KNOW that in this next month a lot of things can go wrong. But! I am over the top excited! They are paying closing costs and my mortgage/ins/tax payment will be a whopping...

$650.00 per month

Yes, it is a little just under 1000 square foot 2 bed 1 bath but it is brand new and not touched. Not even the yard! Perfect for me and two little cats :)

It is also 6.7 miles to work (instead of 20-25 depending on which campus), 30 minutes less of a drive to the Monroe Showgrounds, 30 mins to Donida Farm, 15 to the Tacoma Unit Showgrounds, and 15 to the Puyallup Fairgrounds.

:applause::applause::applause::D:D
OH MY GOSH I am soooo jealous. I keep telling myself no more home ownership, But that place is exactly the size I want, That is as much as I will pay to rent one here. and I know it will not be near as nice. Congrats!!!
Nothing will go wrong.

Heinz 57
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:56 PM
Congrats! Try to stay even-keeled, though, as you said so many things need to fall into place before you get the keys. ;) Our closing took nearly a MONTH longer than it was supposed to.

Louise
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks Louise :) I am super excited! And, since the yard is a small wild area, I will be able to work off some fat putting in the landscaping!

Oh, a small wild area, much like my yard! Plan wisely and you might get to have all kinds of critters visit that yard.

CVPeg
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
Oh, congrats! Yes - landscaping makes a huge difference. None around my place when we bought it several years back (except tons of woods behind). I had some shrubs planted in several strategic areas - including right outside my window where I now also have bird feeders - and I put in a few small evergreens/lilacs occasionally. It is so much more welcoming when you pull in the driveway.

Congrats again!!

cranky
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:13 PM
Congrats!

Miss J
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:30 PM
Wooot!! Congrats!!! Don't forget to post an update with pics woman!!

JanM
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:14 PM
Congratulations! Now take a deep breath and relax. You've already said you have at least a month until closing, so that means you still have appraisal, inspection, getting homeowners insurance, and to begin the prelim for the packing. Purge anything you don't want to move, or that won't fit, or that you just don't need. If you pack your stuff yourself you'll save about half of the moving costs. The best and cheapest place is Lowes-they have 3 sized, the smallest is less than a dollar, and they have glass pack inserts also. Get a bunch of boxes, a few magic markers, and start packing out of season clothes, kitchen stuff you don't need, and find out about local moving companies. Two men and a truck is who I used for a local move, and there are lots of others out there that just load pack and unload, and usually work by the hour. Get packing tape too, and label everything with room name, and make sure the last thing you load (and I would take it myself) is the box with immediate needs like remotes and chargers, the pins that hold up shelves for tv stands, book cases, etc with a pair of plier to put the pins in and take them down, and put them in ziplock bags labelled with the furniture they go with, and that makes it much easier to put shelves up and reload the shelves, which gets rid of a bunch of boxes quickly. If you plan to get ride of curtain rods, or blinds then take a small step ladder, and screwdrivers/hammer, and a drill with extension cord.

Some nice finishing touches are the curved shower rods-they really help with the room in a shower, a shower curtain, and rings. Take some cleaner, toilet papers, soap, paper towels, and as soon as you move in call the locksmith (you never know how many people have keys, or how many hidden keys there are outside). I also put handheld shower heads in the shower, so you get decent water pressure, and it makes cleaning much easier. Also have bedding and towels for the first night clearly labelled. If the switch and outlet plates aren't new, then count how many of each kind you need, and get replacement contractor packs-they're very cheap and add a nice finishing touch. After you move in, figure out the type of replacement light bulbs you need and get some spares (or the flipping bulbs burn out left and right-it's a law of nature).

My last move I unpacked in four days, and only one day was a full day, and I went to work the other three. The reason was I couldn't find a couple of tv shelves,and some other things I really needed and it drove me crazy. So I unpacked everything so quickly, and it was painful too. Better labeling would have saved a lot of time and effort.

Long Spot
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
I know how much you are going to miss your current neighbors. Be sure to invite the over so they can borrow your grill.

Congrats!!!!

Alagirl
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
Do the Puallup

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jan, I can always count on you for meaningful and helpful advice :)

I have not slept the past two nights because I wake up and start googling things like "how to build a storage shed" or "Ikea rugs" or "flowering perennials suited to Pacific Northwest weather" or that site mvp posted with all the different interior design combos LOL!!

That yard will take some work but I am going for a no lawn approach. I plan on starting by putting in stuff and expanding out, starting with hydrangeas, barberry, forsythia and a ceonothus hedge.

Here is my teeny tiny fabulous house to be (hopefully God willing!). Oh, keep in mind, I didn't even want to look at it because I hated the way it looked in these pics LOL!!! But, it's light, bright, brand spankin new, all pergo floors and nothing but a big landscape for my decorating delights hurray!!

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/428875_2_zps02516429.jpg

http://s910.beta.photobucket.com/user/fassopony/media/428875_1_1_zpsf76f130b.jpg.html

http://s910.beta.photobucket.com/user/fassopony/media/428875_2_1_zps4ed18361.jpg.html

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/IS-ll6dr29c14kd_zps6d43684a.jpg

Superminion
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:58 PM
Happy dance!!

Congrats! It's lovely!!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:01 PM
Oh, it's not a big fancy "done" house but the bones are lovely :) It will be lovely!

Long Spot
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
It's perfect for making it just how you want it, your VERY OWN nest. Not so big you can't take care of things yourself, lot's of options to make that yard and cute little deck your very own oasis, and I love the hardwood in the (I'm assuming?) living room.

sophie
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:15 PM
Congrats!
A friend of mine just bought her first "house" (a condo).
I told her I'd be part of the Painting Squad and MovingStuffIn Squad and that she better have a Condo Warming Party pret-ty soon.
Exciting times!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
It's pergo ;) It is throughout the entire house, for that I am so glad. I might put some really nice carpet in my bedroom though, we will see.

The kitchen and the bathroom are super awesome, I just love them.

I'll be much closer to friends and family too now, only 15-20 mins instead of an hour. And that shortened drive time to show grounds at 1 am when braiding is fabulous!

cranky
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:35 PM
It's really cute and sounds like a great buy for you all-around. So exciting to be starting off in a new place, especially if it's your first purchase.

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks!!! Hurray!!!

Noctis
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:03 PM
Its wonderful looking!! Congrats!!

BasqueMom
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:37 PM
Ya done good! Great advice from Jan M! Very, very cute!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks ladies! My hopefully soon to be abode.

CindyB59
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:59 PM
The best part is you are now closest to ME! I hadn't seen the pics of the inside. Sparse, but a clean slate for you to do however you like. Nice new appliances - yay!

We had to get a new stove. The only - and I mean ONLY - mfg that makes the downdraft required for the island is Jenn-Aire. A top of the line Jenn-Aire at that. I still feel like puking (the little mad guy went at the top instead of here)

jetsmom
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:11 PM
Congrats! It's very cute!
Get an inspection, and be there for it. Ask the inspector questions if he says something that you aren't sure of. Bring a tape measure and paper, and draw out the rooms/measurements. Then get some graph paper and draw out rooms, usung each square as 1 foot. You can then figure out furniture placement at home, so it saves time when moving, especially if you hire people to move big stuff and pay by the hour.

Don't make any large purchases or apply for any credit offers between now and closing. Not even the store offers where they tell you, "you'll get an extra 15% off if you apply for this card". Don't close out any credit card accounts prior to closing. If you deposit any money into a bank acct, make a copy of the check and dep slip, or document what it was for. They need to be able to track any money coming in.

When packing- since it's a short move, you can buy styrofoam plates, and put them in between your regular plates and place in a box, to move. It cushions them, and you can reuse the styrofoam plates. You don't end up with newspaper ink all over them afterwards, either.

cowboymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:23 PM
HEY! I don't have good poster/post recall but I recognize that kitchen! LOL

That's a cute little house, I love how it just sits there like "here I am." :)

Love the floors, love the kitchen, it's a blank slate. I say get to pinterest and start making it your own!

I love moving, I see potential in everything, it's so invigorating to do new things!

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:28 PM
Yayyyyy cowboy!! I think you are as excitable and hopped up as I am LOL
Thanks Jetsmom, good info, especially the plai

Plates!

Cindyyyy we can eat watermelon all summer and you can watch me dig holes and plant things LOL

twotrudoc
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:28 PM
What happened to the old stove??

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks Jan, I can always count on you for meaningful and helpful advice :)

I have not slept the past two nights because I wake up and start googling things like "how to build a storage shed" or "Ikea rugs" or "flowering perennials suited to Pacific Northwest weather" or that site mvp posted with all the different interior design combos LOL!!

That yard will take some work but I am going for a no lawn approach. I plan on starting by putting in stuff and expanding out, starting with hydrangeas, barberry, forsythia and a ceonothus hedge.

Here is my teeny tiny fabulous house to be (hopefully God willing!). Oh, keep in mind, I didn't even want to look at it because I hated the way it looked in these pics LOL!!! But, it's light, bright, brand spankin new, all pergo floors and nothing but a big landscape for my decorating delights hurray!!

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/428875_2_zps02516429.jpg

http://s910.beta.photobucket.com/user/fassopony/media/428875_1_1_zpsf76f130b.jpg.html

http://s910.beta.photobucket.com/user/fassopony/media/428875_2_1_zps4ed18361.jpg.html

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/IS-ll6dr29c14kd_zps6d43684a.jpg

Credit where credit is due!

I just love JanM's contributions. Practical advice and it seems she has "been there, done that" with everything.

And I didn't post the color palette site. Some else did.

Last, cute house! That looks like a place some cats could live in.

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
Also, come down to Portland's IKEA and I'll meet your there to help you spend your money wisely. That store is a good time.

TheJenners
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:24 AM
Awwwwwwesome! :) Congrats. Are you any closer to me, by chance?? :D

MMacallister
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
Congrats! That house is adorable!

JanM
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
I love it! It looks adorable, and with some landscaping it will look wonderful. Take your time and plan the outside, buy on sale at the end of the season, and you can save big. I would take the little tree right by the house down though, and it might be small enough to replant further away if you want to keep it.

Don't rush into things, and you can shop around more to get a great deal. If you need window coverings, then go to the big box store and get the temp window blinds that stick to the window. The 3 ft wide ones are good, because they are long enough to cover the entire shade area, and you can overlap and layer for big windows. I've found the best deal for faux wood blinds are the people who are independent, and usually include installation with the price. The big box stores do not really custom make theirs, but chop premade to fit, and charge as much for installation as they do for the blinds. You want to make sure the temp blinds are up during move in, so you can take your time unpacking and cleaning up mess.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
Jenners, I am about 30 mins closer, from Yelm to Tacoma :). Big save on drive time for me!

MVP, your link with all the different cool backsplashes and kitchen decorating ideas!

Jan, I'm going to pick up cheapo Venetian blinds from Walmart LOL! And yes, I am definitely going to be doing some fall planting! Then in Feb the trees go in hurray! I have decided on holly beneath the windows in the back ( I have the ultra thick gloves to trim them and know how), that will go in first. Barberry out front, then hydrangeas...then we will see!

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Oh and that tree is so out of there LOL

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:29 PM
Okay, I really need to lay off the exclamation points, I'm getting all Eleventy. !!!!!11

ReSomething
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
If you were here in Ky the first purchase I'd tell you to make is a zero turn lawn mower cause of the durned grass - but I can just see the hydrangeas out front and a push mower works for a small yard.

Definitely you must have ziplock plastic bags for all loose parts and either put them in the last/first box or tape them to say the table leg or the inside of the bookcase they belong to. And purge, purge, purge. I'm ashamed to say that in the shop are boxes that got packed in 2005 for remodel work, stored, moved, and are still sitting there eight years later. Nobody needs that.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:54 PM
Yes, I am a purger! I hate clutter.

I am thinking I will just hire someone to cut the wild grass as I work on the yard, my goal is a no lawn yard. Or, such a tiny bit of grass my little weed whacker could do it in 5 mins.

I think brick paths going through perennial bloomers that fill in like black eyed Susan, pretty foliage, etc. Going to be needing a fire pit for sure! And, raised veggie beds.

ReSomething
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
. . .
I think brick paths going through perennial bloomers that fill in like black eyed Susan, pretty foliage, etc. Going to be needing a fire pit for sure! And, raised veggie beds.

I knew it! Oh it's going to be so lovely, your little cottage. You must get a Cambodian buddha statue and some camellias and Japanese Anemones, I can't tell the solar orientation but there has to be a little nook for the shade lovers. What fun!

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
Oh there is, the house faces east (back faces West). The north side is shady.

Maybe you can help me. Back in the day I planted a fabulous Asian fruit tree that had a gorgeous shape, lovely leaves, and beautiful golden green fat pear shaped fruit. There is also a flowering shrub by the same name. I can't remember for the life if me :(

evenstar
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
(I added a bunch of exclamation points for you. ;))

I have a small house myself (1,040 square feet) and I love it! So manageable to take care of, and maintenance stuff like periodic repainting, the occasional new roof, etc. is so much less expensive for me than for my work friends with their much bigger homes. Not to mention property taxes....

I know you'll have a wonderful time with your yard projects.By the way, I have a hydrangea that's the envy of my neighbors. I do absolutely nothing to take care of it beyond getting the ever-present morning glory vines off of it, and it's a wonderful bush. So I highly approve of your choice to add hydrangea to your yard!

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hurray for little houses and hydrangeas!!!

ReSomething
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Flowering Quince?

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quince Quince Quince!!!!

I LOVE YOU!!! *CARTWHEELING*

I love the fruit tree, my grandparents had the flowering variety in their yard too

ReSomething
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:42 PM
I need to get outside and weed. I can't stand this.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry! Hopefully join you soon. Thank you again, I love Quince trees so much.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
What an adorable little cottage! Congratulations and best wishes for smooth sailing!

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks lady :)

JanM
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:50 PM
For big ugly scrubs or small trees, hire someone with a 4 wheel drive, and a chain. They just hook up and yank it out of the ground. Start shopping yard and garage sales, and get a tree trimmer, loppers, and hedge trimmers. They are usually really cheap when someone is downsizing or from estate sales. Start asking around for lawn mowing help. The prices really vary from my $45 every two weeks for 1/3 acre of lawn (back is mostly weeds), including weed eating and blowing grass off the walks, to a lot more than that for small places-some people really try to rip you off, and some are very reasonable. Look at shady lawn plantings, including ground covers that don't grow too tall. You can put plantings and shrubs that don't need trimming around the back perimeter, and limit the amount of maintenance.

To decide on plantings, it might be good to wander the neighborhood, and see the yards you really like. Ask the people who did the garden, and if any of them did their own ask them what plants grow well, and the ones that didn't . Location really varies with types that require a lot of maintenance, and those that do great without anything being done to them. if there is an extension service see what services they have availalbe. And if there is a master gardener program locally they might have people that love to help you plan your yard. When you get the raised beds installed or plan to do a lot of soil prep you can usually get coupons or specials for bulk deliveries, and the best way to move items like mulch or top soil is a snow shovel. If you get a wheel barrow make sure it can fit thorough gates or doors (a friend's husband bought a great big metal one for her, and the barrow couldn't fit through the garden shed door, and not through the regular gate. If you eventually put in a wood fence, then square metal poles with big bolt holes in them, cemented in, and then you just put premade fence sections up with bolts, and you're ready to go. If you don't put up wood, then you can get some great metal aluminum wrought iron panels, they fit between aluminum posts, or vinyl, and look nice. I don't like the aluminum fence style with wide, white fence slats-I think it looks cheap. Make sure if you put a regular width gate to the back you still need a double wide truck access gate for deliveries, and workers, and for mowing.

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:00 PM
Oh, I know people who can operate heavy equipment :)

I don't mind some trimming but you will never see me plant a laurel hedge LOL

cranky
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Yes, I am a purger! I hate clutter.

I am thinking I will just hire someone to cut the wild grass as I work on the yard, my goal is a no lawn yard. Or, such a tiny bit of grass my little weed whacker could do it in 5 mins.

I've been taking on decluttering as a project this weekend. Gotta get rid of it! I am being relentless, throwing stuff out left & right. It feels so good!

lovey1121
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
Happy Congrats on your just adorable cottage!!!! What an exciting time:) How great that its brandy sparkly new! I love the kitchen and the deck:yes: New just smells sooo good:)

Does the neighborhood have a deer poulation? That will limit your choice of landscaping, g**da**it. My hydrangeas are mere shadows of what they were before the deer decided they were mighty tasty:mad:

twotrudoc
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:40 PM
Nope, no deer LOL!! It is in the city of Tacoma, a very developed part of it. This little area is 5 plots, the people who developed it lost their shirt so my little place and the one (still foreclosed and vacant) across the street. The main house is rented to a big Pacific Island family (I have met the husband,, very nice, got the down low on the neighborhood) who will most likely be up for neighborhood BBQs. SO, it looks a lot more rural than it actually is. Two blocks down is Hwy 7.