PDA

View Full Version : Florida - what are the areas that value constitutional rights and freedom?

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
I often think of buying in Florida, but hesitate. Yesterday, we were talking of buying in Wyoming, which is beautiful and great, but it is similar to where we are in climate and beauty. Florida is a place I have always liked as I lived there as a little kid and visited often in my youth. I would like a horse property, in a horsey enough area. Otherwise a beach front house while owning a bit of land farther in.
I don't want to go to a state that will be infringing on my rights and freedoms - I have enough of that here.

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:38 PM
:lol: They don't put stuff like that in the real estate reports. What you want sounds more like Texas than Florida.

Judysmom
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:42 PM
Not Fl as a whole- especially if you want beach front property.

Google "Stop the Beach Renourishment" 2010 SCOTUS case. It will give you an idea of how FL values property rights.

ETA: What about New Hampshire? I know its cold, but sometimes I think its the promised land....

stolen virtue
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
Actually I know of several democrats in NH, I'm sure the OP is looking for only like minded people to share an island with. I think Cuba has a society where only like minded people live...

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:12 PM
Judysmom, yes, Florida does seem to get worse and worse. I wondered what happened to the one case where a city was taking private homes to give to commercial developers. This type of thing is why Florida fell from consideration. I was wondering, though, if there was a locality that wasn't so progressive. Probably not.

I know NH is beautiful. It's an interesting idea.

Frank B
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:22 PM
From someone who used to live there: Remember that many parts of Florida are populated by Yankees that have moved South -- and brought their Yankee attitudes with them.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah, Frank, I was wondereing if there were still pockets of thinking people. I'm sure there are if one can find them.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:26 PM
Stolen Virtue, the fact that I don't still have you listed on my signature line as "blocked" does not mean that you are no longer blocked. You are.

LauraKY
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah, Frank, I was wondereing if there were still pockets of thinking people. I'm sure there are if one can find them.

Bored?

Judysmom
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:41 PM
Coyoceto- I think the case you are thinking about is Kelo. In that case, the City of New London CT took a whole neighborhood for private development. It was really horrendous. SCOTUS upheld the City and held that "public use" means whatever the state legislature says it means.

What that means for us ordinary citizens, is that if you want to avoid having your property taken for private use, you should move to a state that has amended their state constitutions so that "public use" really means public use. I can't off the top of my head remember how many have done so.

Re Kelo, there is a fabulous book written about it- well worth reading if you care about property rights- called "Little Pink House".

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
No. It's a legitimate question. Florida is more than half conservative, and I want to know some of the conservative counties. Pretty simple really. It wasn't really supposed to be political. Would you want to live in a town inhabited by Southerners? I would love that. I live in an extremely liberal place because it's beautiful. I'd like to have my "vacation" place somewhere that is different. Here it is illegal to work on a classic car on a rural farm even if that car is not visible to passerby. The only way you can legally do that is to have a building "specifically designated" for that purpose, but the building restrictions are such that you are very limited on the number of buildings, and a barn can quadruple your proerty taxes because it is "disfavored".

It is a very serious inquirey as many of these things are determined at the county level.

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Florida has become an embarrassment to intelligence. The same people with their little God fishes on their old putt-putts will run you off the road or pull a gun on you in the blink of an eye. Laws are enforced sometimes, depending on who you are. Crime is rampant. The state has become a filthy pigpen.

I can't wait until prices rebound (if they ever do) and we can sell.

Haters and low lives do very well there.

LauraKY
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:46 PM
You'd probably like the Villages. I hear they don't much like Democrats there.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:48 PM
Coyoceto- I think the case you are thinking about is Kelo. In that case, the City of New London CT took a whole neighborhood for private development. It was really horrendous. SCOTUS upheld the City and held that "public use" means whatever the state legislature says it means.

What that means for us ordinary citizens, is that if you want to avoid having your property taken for private use, you should move to a state that has amended their state constitutions so that "public use" really means public use. I can't off the top of my head remember how many have done so.

Re Kelo, there is a fabulous book written about it- well worth reading if you care about property rights- called "Little Pink House".

Judysmom. I remember that case. After that Supreme Court decision, some city in Florida made such a move on a residential community to take it for commercial business saying that the public use was that the City would get more taxes from the non-residential use of the land so it was within the definition etablished by the Kelo case.

That's a good suggestion about looking for that wording in a state's constitution.

Frizzle
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
You'd probably like the Villages. I hear they don't much like Democrats there.

Spot-on! I have relatives who live in The Villages. It's like Stepford/Disney World for old rich white conservatives. The whole Ocala area seems very Bible Belt-y, in fact--every single billboard is either anti-abortion, bible quotes, or anti-abortion with bible quotes. So, actually, in terms of women's rights, it's not really very much into personal freedom.

hunt_jumpfl
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
No. It's a legitimate question. Florida is more than half conservative, and I want to know some of the conservative counties. Pretty simple really. It wasn't really supposed to be political. Would you want to live in a town inhabited by Southerners? I would love that. I live in an extremely liberal place because it's beautiful. I'd like to have my "vacation" place somewhere that is different. Here it is illegal to work on a classic car on a rural farm even if that car is not visible to passerby. The only way you can legally do that is to have a building "specifically designated" for that purpose, but the building restrictions are such that you are very limited on the number of buildings, and a barn can quadruple your proerty taxes because it is "disfavored".

It is a very serious inquirey as many of these things are determined at the county level.

There are certainly areas of inland FL that have the conservative that you are looking for, but I'm not sure how many places they actually represent a large enough majority to write the ordinances. Probably more in North FL. A good portion of FL is run by developers or is made up of retirees...conservative, yes, but not in the ways you describe.

batman the horse
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putnam_County,_Florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatka,_Florida

Putnam County - lots of land. They love their guns and the Bible. Half hour from the beach, hour from Ocala, hour from Jacksonville, hour from Daytona, two hours from Orlando. It's a pretty quiet place. VERY southern.

As a 20-something - I got the heck out! Many return, though.

danceronice
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:20 PM
Actually I know of several democrats in NH, I'm sure the OP is looking for only like minded people to share an island with. I think Cuba has a society where only like minded people live...

Funny, one of the best places in Florida to find freedom-loving people (who tend to lean right) are the Cuban neighborhoods, ie the ones who escaped. Liberals love Cuba, they wish their government could have that kind of power.

cloudyandcallie
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
I recommend the area around Bellglade, FL. All the people there are pretty conservative. It may be spelled Bell Glade? (I've actually been there but don't remember how to spell it.)

I've found that the yankees who have moved to the South are far more, uh, conservative than we native born Southerners. I board my horses in a county full of Yankees and native methhead tweeters. (Tweeting in the cop term of people who are manufacturing and smoking crack.) I find that combination very odd.

Otherwise, Idaho has many "consersative" groups. And southern Idaho has a milder climate than does the rest of that state. (If Texas secedes, that is the place to go.)

stolen virtue
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:23 PM
"liberals love Cuba".......Gotta love the Faux News crowd.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:24 PM
I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area. Should it really be illegal anywhere in America for there to be a limit of two cats or two dogs in a single family home? I don't think so. And, yes, I want to feel that I can protect my life again without risking going to prison.

Developer-run areas are obviously out.

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:28 PM
If you're looking for personal freedom from the government in FL, you won't find it anywhere except the boonies where nobody gives a damn what you do or how you do it. Those are the most run-down and often unsafe areas to live in FL because they are populated by criminals and deadbeats.

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
(Tweeting in the cop term of people who are manufacturing and smoking crack.)

You mean "Tweaking." Tweaking used to mean doing crystal meth. That's not the same as doing crack. I don't know if people "cooking" meth are also called tweakers.

witherbee
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:32 PM
I live in Ocala and still feel that personal property rights are respected. If your dog is barking or bites someone that comes in your yard, most people here say that the person should not have come in the yard. Up North you would worry about getting sued. Also, no one bothers anyone about thier yards etc unless you are in a gated community with a HOA. It's still not uncommon for folks to have guns and sometimes we do hear shooting. We used to do target practice when out manure pile was big enough for a backstop. My neighbors are kind enough to call me if they plan to shoot because of the horses (they do not want to spook them, but that is not a worry). I think that is nice, but not necessary.

That said, I am from New England and am a conservative and find some of the "Yankee" comments insulting. There are obnoxious Southerners and Northerners alike - take people as they are, not as your predjudices find them.

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
Coyoteco
I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area

You might be interested in my property. The neighbors have been given the personal freedom to drain their sewage onto my property.

They will shoot you or sic their pit-bulls or monitor lizard on you if you complain.

You'll LOVE it! :lol:

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:34 PM
If you're looking for personal freedom from the government in FL, you won't find it anywhere except the boonies where nobody gives a damn what you do or how you do it. Those are the most run-down and often unsafe areas to live in FL because they are populated by criminals and deadbeats.

But you will be free and surrounded by other people who place a premium on their personal freedom as well.

Best of luck with that.

bauhaus
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:42 PM
How about you man up and quit being afraid of everyone and everything and live wherever you want to live regardless of whether there are people who disagree with you nearby?

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:46 PM
Oh I forgot, hope your idea of personal liberty does not include the right to vote. Good luck with that.

Frizzle
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:48 PM
Funny, one of the best places in Florida to find freedom-loving people (who tend to lean right) are the Cuban neighborhoods, ie the ones who escaped. Liberals love Cuba, they wish their government could have that kind of power.

"Liberals love Cuba"? That is so completely ridiculous, I'm not even sure how to respond to it.

I live in Miami; there are a LOT of Cubans here. And in the last election, Miami-Dade County voted very much for Obama (I think something like 90%). There were a whole lot of Cuban Obama volunteers at my polling place, while the handful of Romney supporters were definitely not Hispanic.

c'est moi
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:50 PM
If you're looking for freedom from government interference, Somalia is for you.

Bonus: its got lots of cheap beachfront property!

pdq
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area. Should it really be illegal anywhere in America for there to be a limit of two cats or two dogs in a single family home? I don't think so. And, yes, I want to feel that I can protect my life again without risking going to prison.

Developer-run areas are obviously out.

Ummmm...how about Key West? Personal freedom abounds. Just ask the neighbors. Chances are they're going to be gays... :D The island wildlife is feral chicken and cats. You can have a billion cats. Dogs, too. No one will care. Heck, you can have your own zoo. And no way no how is KW religious, except for the Cowboy Masses that are held each Sunday for the island bum population. Tolerant? You betcha. Somehow I didn't feel like I had to pull a gun on anyone while there. They even have a K-Mart and a Home Depot. And great views everywhere you look.

Honestly, it is a bit expensive, and the bed bug is the official island insect...but...you can find a place on ( or just off since the island is only 2 miles wide) the beach and live the life of Reilly. As long as you don't mind the rainbow flags everywhere. ;):lol:

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:31 PM
They will shoot you or sic their pit-bulls or monitor lizard on you if you complain.

You'll LOVE it! :lol:

How does the monitor lizard attack work?

IdahoRider
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:45 PM
Otherwise, Idaho has many "consersative" groups. And southern Idaho has a milder climate than does the rest of that state. (If Texas secedes, that is the place to go.

Oh, too funny! My husband and I were having a meal at the monthly Food Truck Rally in Boise a few months ago and the couple sitting across the community table from us struck up a conversation. They were out-of-state transplants who moved to Idaho because they wanted to live in an area with other "like minded conservatives".

At that, an older couple sitting to their right spoke up and commented that they were 3rd generation native Idahoans and it was people like them that were ruining the state. Then the gentleman stuck his cowboy hat on, sttod up and offered his wife his hand and off they went.

So maybe Idaho doesn't want to be a Mecca for intolerant, small minded people any more than the next state?
Sheilah

NoSuchPerson
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
The interior of north Florida has many areas that are still very much the kind of area you're talking about Coyoteco, although Alachua County/Gainesville is sort of an anomaly (informally known by some as The People's Republic of Alachua County). The panhandle region is also generally pretty conservative.

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
mvp

How does the monitor lizard attack work?

Don't you watch Animal Planet? They ate their owner on "Fatal Attractions"! :eek:

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
I live in Ocala and still feel that personal property rights are respected. If your dog is barking or bites someone that comes in your yard, most people here say that the person should not have come in the yard. Up North you would worry about getting sued. Also, no one bothers anyone about thier yards etc unless you are in a gated community with a HOA. It's still not uncommon for folks to have guns and sometimes we do hear shooting. We used to do target practice when out manure pile was big enough for a backstop. My neighbors are kind enough to call me if they plan to shoot because of the horses (they do not want to spook them, but that is not a worry). I think that is nice, but not necessary.

That said, I am from New England and am a conservative and find some of the "Yankee" comments insulting. There are obnoxious Southerners and Northerners alike - take people as they are, not as your predjudices find them.

Oh, Witherbee I'm sorry if you were offended by the other poster's use of the term Yankee in this thread. I understood him to be using the term very specifically in a way that does not, by any means, include all Northerners, or even all Northerners who move to the South. It connotes a very specific kind of attitude and conduct. Had he said there were too many Northerners moving down to Florida, I would have considered that insulting to non-southern people, but from my personal understanding of the conversation, the term "yankee" was used to limit the people insulted to people who exhibit a very specific conduct.

You do make Ocala sounds like a reasonable place, and it certainly is a nice place.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
Intersting the assumptions people make - many of which are insulting, of course.

I don't mind living in a gay community, depending on the gay community - you people sure don't know me") Key West though, as beautiful as it is, is a bit clausterphobic to me - wonderful place to visit.
I don't mind living in a criminal community, depending on the criminal community.
I do mind living in a rude community - such as the sewerage and attack lizards.
During my entire adult life I have lived in liberal communities by choice, but "liberal" has been on a more and more extremest and powerful path that has lead it to mean oppression of other's personal freedoms.
I value personal freedom. As for Samolia, after four centuries of family history in America, I'm not looking to abadon her in her darkest hour.

As for the story about the Idahoans being rude to the newcomers, I had something like that happen to me in a small mining town in my state last summer. A rather rude old crusty miner told me "We don't like your kind." I talked for awhile and he warmed up to me after that but I remembered his words. Now that one one man. So, a couple of days later, i talked to THE miner in the area. He had been there for generations and was highly regarded. He really liked my family and me and we talked of mutual acquaintences all over the state (I am not without connections to the old world of mining - the first man just didn't ask). We went out to dinner, and by the end of it he was ready to have me move there but wanted to back me for political office. The first man had made many erroneous assumptions, but not only that - the second man said the first man was new to the area and had come in very heavy handed trying to push everyone around. The first man had mentioned the second man to me in awe of him. So, an idiot standing up and being rudely indignant and saying that the newcomer isn't welcomed may, himself, be an outcast in that very community and an unwelcomed "newcomer". Just food for thought.

Mickey the Marcher
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
Oh, Witherbee I'm sorry if you were offended by the other poster's use of the term Yankee in this thread. I understood him to be using the term very specifically in a way that does not, by any means, include all Northerners, or even all Northerners who move to the South. It connotes a very specific kind of attitude and conduct.

LOL.:lol:
I've had several people over the last 30 years use that EXACT SAME argument to defend the use of the word 'nigger'.

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
GREAT! Sounds like the place for you!

frisky
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:29 PM
You asked specifically about Florida, but it sounds to me like you might be content in coastal S. or N. Carolina. My mother lives on the coast of NC and her county is predominately conservative. Yes, they are whack job conservative (to me), but they are not necessarily religious conservatives. Lots of yankees move to the area to be near the beach, but there is still a hardy local contingent. She has yankee friends who are democrats (and appalled at her political beliefs) and she has southern friends who are more wacky conservative. Most people there seem to get along though.

JSwan
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:36 PM
It sounds like you're just looking to be left alone. In that case I would think pretty much any deeply rural, sparsely populated area should suffice. There simply isn't enough infrastructure in deeply rural areas that you'll be micromanaged.

Which can be a double edged sword. Because there are people who love property rights so much they want to exercise yours as well as theirs - which can be a problem if infrastructure is lacking. (police, fire and rescue)

Wanting to be left alone is pretty reasonable. I don't know that desire is only found in one political party or ideology. Heck - neither party wants to leave people alone - we are all their pawns.

Honestly I'd just look for a very rural area and check out the climate, cost of living, horsey scene, etc.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
If you're looking for freedom from government interference, Somalia is for you.

Bonus: its got lots of cheap beachfront property!

I was thinking Haiti.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:41 PM
LOL.:lol:
I've had several people over the last 30 years use that EXACT SAME argument to defend the use of the word 'nigger'.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's all code, right? Like liberty=I can shoot you if you knock on my door.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:46 PM
The hateful comments are interesting and reflect the reason that I am looking for a place with sane and thinking people as a vacation home area. Voting? using the "n" word for no reaon and making foolish statements? random, almost incompehensible insults for no reason. Liberals who idolize Che Guavara saying that conservative want to be like Cuba?
I just don't want to get into a place with the "crazies" that seem to dominate the country, these days.

2bayboys
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:51 PM
OP, it might be helpful if you were more specific about which rights are your concern. Gay rights, gun rights, property rights, abortion rights? Freedom of religion or freedom from religion? Freedom of speech but freedom from the speech that offends you? What is your persuasion?

Judysmom
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
I still think you would like NH. Low taxes, no sales tax, has a coast line, long tradition of libertarian values, no gun control, state motto is "live free or die".

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 06:57 PM
Judysmom, I will definitely look at NH. I know the motto and that is great.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:00 PM
I find the amount of racism that has surfaced in this thread very disconcerting and interesting. There were at least, at least, three attacks on black people in this thread that had nothing to do with race. You people who are making those statement should really do some soul searching. Samalia, Haiti, racial epithets, really.....not cool.

Happymom, is there any reason that the neighobrs are putting sewage on you land? do they just really dislike you? Can you think of anything you did to them first? This thread would lead me to believe that there could be two sides to that story.

pdq
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
Coyoteco -

Seriously, look at Ocala. It's a GREAT place, very horsey, very pretty. My neighbors have a house there, and go every fall to spend the winter. They love it. They love their neighbors, have fun doing all kinds of things within the people-oriented town, and would never come home except it gets really hot and humid down there in the summer. So they come North every Spring.

I do love Key West. Everything about that place is great, especially the people. I got claustophobic on Hawaii, and every other island I'd been on (and I've been on plenty all around the globe), but never on Key West. :)

happymom
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:10 PM
Why bless your heart Cyoteco, I believe you are deliberately trying to hurt my feewings! :lol :lol:

stolen virtue
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:12 PM
So yet another OTD where this OP wants to tell other COTHers about his political beliefs, as if we all have forgotten the last OTD. And true to form this OP calls posters who disagree with his political beliefs names, oh and I am still on his ignore list.

Honestly, this need to tell people-in a cyber world-about his political beliefs is getting old. WE get it, and we also get that you hate people who disagree with you. Why don't you find a far right forum to babble on...

lilitiger2
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:19 PM
or...Montana. Schizophrenic about "color" - go red for the prez election but have dem gov and two senators.

We are rural. Mindful of all sorts of liberties, which is a double edged sword (not so good on social services).

Great horsey scene. Great hunting! And fishing! And scenery if you don't hunt or fish! Missoula has kind of an "arts" scene and tends to be more liberal. I love our neighbors! No one is dumping sewage around here! But if you can take care of yourself, like the outdoors, are generally not a big government fan, Montana is a great place!

Frizzle
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:20 PM
Um. Since when does being a Democrat = being against personal freedoms? As a group, Dems were not real thrilled with the Patriot Act, think the government should have no jurisdiction over a woman's vagina, believe gays should have the same freedom to marry as straights have, etc. The only thing that comes to mind is the gun argument, over which most have a pretty middle-of-the-road "let's have better background checks, etc." stance on that issue. ???

FTR, I have never vote a straight ticket. I've voted for members of both parties, as well as independents. It's usually a case of "Who is the lesser of two or more evils?"

Ok. Back to the bickering. :) Just wanted to make a small point.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:32 PM
Coyoteco -

Seriously, look at Ocala. It's a GREAT place, very horsey, very pretty. My neighbors have a house there, and go every fall to spend the winter. They love it. They love their neighbors, have fun doing all kinds of things within the people-oriented town, and would never come home except it gets really hot and humid down there in the summer. So they come North every Spring.

I do love Key West. Everything about that place is great, especially the people. I got claustophobic on Hawaii, and every other island I'd been on (and I've been on plenty all around the globe), but never on Key West. :)

lol, you are the only person I've heard have the island claustophia that I have. i haven't felt it in Key West when I've been there a few times, but I drove down, I think I would on a long term basis. It is beautiful and unique. I'm thinking I need to take a drive down there sooner rather than later. Talk about underestimated destinations - I think Key West is one of them. I do want the horses around, though.

Coyoteco
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:34 PM
Um. Since when does being a Democrat = being against personal freedoms? As a group, Dems were not real thrilled with the Patriot Act, think the government should have no jurisdiction over a woman's vagina, believe gays should have the same freedom to marry as straights have, etc. The only thing that comes to mind is the gun argument, over which most have a pretty middle-of-the-road "let's have better background checks, etc." stance on that issue. ???

FTR, I have never vote a straight ticket. I've voted for members of both parties, as well as independents. It's usually a case of "Who is the lesser of two or more evils?"

Ok. Back to the bickering. :) Just wanted to make a small point.

"Since when does being a Democrat = being against personal freedoms?" It always has and it always will. If you don't understand that, you have no business even voting.

Windsor1
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:38 PM
"Since when does being a Democrat = being against personal freedoms?" It always has and it always will. If you don't understand that, you have no business even voting.

And you have the unmitigated gall to talk about OTHER people being insulting.

That's okay. I learned a while back not to take anything you say seriously. I question your sanity, frankly.

Long Spot
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:38 PM
Stolen, you just made me laugh like a loon. Thank you.

stolen virtue
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
Stolen, you just made me laugh like a loon. Thank you.

It just wouldn't be OTD without a Coyoteco thread.....

HighFlyinBey++
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:58 PM
Since you seem to want the personal freedom from liberals, you might consider this list helpful (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/01/conservative-liberal-states-gallup-poll/1885131/)

Top-10 in each category:
Conservative:

Alabama – 50.6%
North Dakota – 48.6%
Wyoming – 48.6%
Mississippi – 48.2%
Utah – 48.0%
Oklahoma – 47.3%
Idaho – 47.1%
Louisiana – 45.6%
Nebraska - 45.3%
Arkansas – 45.5%

Liberal:

District of Columbia – 40.8%
Massachusetts – 30.5%
Oregon – 29.3%
Vermont – 29.2%
Delaware – 28.4%
Connecticut – 28.4%
Washington – 28.3%
Rhode Island – 28.3%
Hawaii – 27.7%
New York – 27.7%

Moderate:

Alaska – 42.7%
Rhode Island – 41.5%
Ohio – 39.5%
Maryland – 38.3%
Massachusetts – 38.1%
Michigan – 38.0%
Nevada – 37.8%
Connecticut – 37.8%
Montana – 37.6%
New Jersey – 37.6%

Very helpful map identifying the percentages of each state: http://www.gallup.com/poll/160196/alabama-north-dakota-wyoming-conservative-states.aspx

You'll also want to keep in mind the changing demographics of any state that interests you. In general, states with growing populations of young people, women, and people of color are less likely to fit your narrow point of view.

JSwan has a very good point about looking for property that's far from others.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:02 PM
The hateful comments are interesting and reflect the reason that I am looking for a place with sane and thinking people as a vacation home area. Voting? using the "n" word for no reaon and making foolish statements? random, almost incompehensible insults for no reason. Liberals who idolize Che Guavara saying that conservative want to be like Cuba?
I just don't want to get into a place with the "crazies" that seem to dominate the country, these days.

Then what are you doing hanging out online?

OP, you seem bewildered that some posters, myself included, are making fun of the coded speech of racism. It's not unlike the subculture of people who believe the the President of the United States was born in Kenya or is hiding his Marxist/nazi/ socialist beliefs. We know it's the deep undercurrent of racism in this country to refuse to accept this duly elected President, to claim his fundamentally American story is somehow exotic and other.

So when you who are well-known for espousing these beliefs want to know where you can live among like-minded people, people are going to want to know exactly what it is that you mean.

I know you favor small government, no affirmative action, freedom from the tyranny of health care, yes, Haiti comes to mind.

You don't want to live in Florida. Not only did Obama win Florida despite an organized effort to discourage people from exercising their right to vote, but the governor has embraced Obamacare.

c'est moi
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:15 PM
I find the amount of racism that has surfaced in this thread very disconcerting and interesting. There were at least, at least, three attacks on black people in this thread that had nothing to do with race. You people who are making those statement should really do some soul searching. Samalia, Haiti, racial epithets, really.....not cool.

Hmm...try reading for content. Mentioning different countries predominantly dominated by black people and being racist are two different things.

And my suggestion to move to Somalia was a joke--a joke that had nothing to do with black people.

Canaqua
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:31 PM
Judysmom, I will definitely look at NH. I know the motto and that is great.

You wouldn't like NH. It shares a border with Massachusetts. There are lots of "Yankees", using your definition of the word in NH. Lots of younger families from Mass have bought houses in NH, because Mass is too expensive...and they commute back into Massachusetts for work.

NH has gone for the Democrat in five out the last six Presidential elections.

Signed,

Dirty, Filthy, Yankee, Liberal who lives 5 miles from the NH border. Most of my "Yankee" friends live in NH ;).

microbovine
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:39 PM
I haven't read all the posts but Clay County, FL is one of the most conservative counties in the entire country. It is in the northern part of the state so not an old folks area.

I am not sure if that is "like-minded" for the OP, but perhaps. My dad live sin California and keeps threatening to move here because of the crazy laws and taxes they have out there.

microbovine
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:40 PM
Duplicate post.

Frizzle
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:48 PM

Wow. Talk about uninformed, narrow-minded, and un-American. I'm actually rather amused :lol: as you were just whining about mean, hateful people being insulting and now you're dropping bombs like that.

I happen to be a very informed voter. During the last election, I was the only one in my area of the line who had actually printed out the ridiculously long ballot, done serious research on each and every proposed ammendment, straw ballot, candidate, etc. and was actually informed on the topics. I had to give a several hours long class on exactly what was on the ballot, what voting yes meant, what voting no meant, etc. I don't make my decisions based on party lines or talking heads--I actually use my own brain.

IdahoRider
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:14 PM
As for the story about the Idahoans being rude to the newcomers, I had something like that happen to me in a small mining town in my state last summer.

Oh, I didn't see the Idahoans behavior as rude! As a fellow (granted non-native) Idahoan, I said "Right On" to their push back regarding idiots moving to this wonderful state because they see it as some kind of conservative Nirvana.

More power to that native couple!
Sheilah

batman the horse
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:06 AM
I haven't read all the posts but Clay County, FL is one of the most conservative counties in the entire country. It is in the northern part of the state so not an old folks area.

This is very true! Clay is Putnam's next door neighbor. Even though the Clay County Fairgrounds kind of suck, they actually have a pretty good show scene. Much better than the GORGEOUS Jax Equestrian Center. But that is another story all together...

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hmm...try reading for content. Mentioning different countries predominantly dominated by black people and being racist are two different things.

And my suggestion to move to Somalia was a joke--a joke that had nothing to do with black people.

No, it isn't.

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:57 AM
Oh, I didn't see the Idahoans behavior as rude! As a fellow (granted non-native) Idahoan, I said "Right On" to their push back regarding idiots moving to this wonderful state because they see it as some kind of conservative Nirvana.

More power to that native couple!
Sheilah

But, it was.

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:03 AM
Wow. Talk about uninformed, narrow-minded, and un-American. I'm actually rather amused :lol: as you were just whining about mean, hateful people being insulting and now you're dropping bombs like that.

I happen to be a very informed voter. During the last election, I was the only one in my area of the line who had actually printed out the ridiculously long ballot, done serious research on each and every proposed ammendment, straw ballot, candidate, etc. and was actually informed on the topics. I had to give a several hours long class on exactly what was on the ballot, what voting yes meant, what voting no meant, etc. I don't make my decisions based on party lines or talking heads--I actually use my own brain.

But, you still don't know the fundamentals - you opposed the Patriot Act when Bush implemented it but you endorse it when Obama made it much, much stronger. What you feared Bush would do, Obama did, but you support that. You now support a President who has implemented NDAA and assumes the right to order the kiling of American citizens with his signature. You support the domestic use of drones. But you still think you oppose the Patriot Act? You think that Democrats support personal freedoms when they take them from Americans daily. If you wanted to beinformed you would be, but you aren't. America is a two-party system - it is about parties.

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
Then what are you doing hanging out online?

OP, you seem bewildered that some posters, myself included, are making fun of the coded speech of racism. It's not unlike the subculture of people who believe the the President of the United States was born in Kenya or is hiding his Marxist/nazi/ socialist beliefs. We know it's the deep undercurrent of racism in this country to refuse to accept this duly elected President, to claim his fundamentally American story is somehow exotic and other.

So when you who are well-known for espousing these beliefs want to know where you can live among like-minded people, people are going to want to know exactly what it is that you mean.

I know you favor small government, no affirmative action, freedom from the tyranny of health care, yes, Haiti comes to mind.

You don't want to live in Florida. Not only did Obama win Florida despite an organized effort to discourage people from exercising their right to vote, but the governor has embraced Obamacare.

The racism in this thread comes from you. I suggest you take a course on tolerance. You are a racist whether you recognize it in yourself or not. Your Haiti comment was as racist as any comment I've seen in a long time - moreso than most. You should do some self examination on why you said that.

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
You wouldn't like NH. It shares a border with Massachusetts. There are lots of "Yankees", using your definition of the word in NH. Lots of younger families from Mass have bought houses in NH, because Mass is too expensive...and they commute back into Massachusetts for work.

NH has gone for the Democrat in five out the last six Presidential elections.

Signed,

Dirty, Filthy, Yankee, Liberal who lives 5 miles from the NH border. Most of my "Yankee" friends live in NH ;).

You know that I didn't use the term "yankee" myself.

I do wonder if NH is under siege as a target state. My state was targeted and there was a book written about the massive effort to overturn the will of the people who have lived here for generations and change the state from the free west to a oppressive liberal state. This has been accomplished in large part by voter fraud, accompanied by massive amounts of money from outside the state. It's rather shocking.

Coyoteco
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:28 AM
I appreciate the helpful posts on this thread. I will look into the areas that you mention and some of the other information is helpful, also. I am not looking for like minded people, but as JSwan said, just a place where the government - just leaves you alone and lets you be yourself, however imperfect that may be. I'm not looking to move either, just for a vacation place. The laws that govern my neighbors and me are made by people who are not subject to the laws they vote in, and many don't actually even live in the state.

I guess there are a lot of people who are lying in wait to bring extraneous discussion into simple threads. Too bad it was a trainwreck, but there is a tagteam group out there that does do that often.

Windsor1
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
I guess there are a lot of people who are lying in wait to bring extraneous discussion into simple threads.

And then there are those who like to stir up $hitstorms and then point fingers elsewhere when they succeed in doing so.

IdahoRider
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
My state was targeted and there was a book written about the massive effort to overturn the will of the people who have lived here for generations and change the state from the free west to a oppressive liberal state.

Well, if you don't like having the "will of the people" overturned, Idaho might not be the place for you.
http://thebluereview.org/ignored-referendum/
And I think the whole point being made by the older couple at the Food Truck Rally (the couple that was labeled "rude" by the OP) was that their native state had been changed from Libertarian-moderate politics to an oppressive conservative model.

It would seem to me that if the whole point trying to be made is that oppressive political control is bad, then it is bad regardless of which political movement is driving the oppression. Liberal or conservative. As is overturning the will of the people, regardless of which party is doing it.

Otherwise, this thread is nothing more than yet another, "Poor me, the bad, bad liberals are ruining everything and here are my code words to prove it" rant from the OP.

Real Idahoans certainly don't want any more residents like the OP. We have enough of these Johnny-Come-Lately boneheads as it is. Maybe the OP should try Arizona?
Sheilah

ayrabz
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
I just will never.ever.ever. understand this approach to anything you believe in, or worry about, or find concern with.
But its the way everyone does it these days. This 'social networking', is slowly forming all of us to believe that 'expressing our political beliefs' is equal to BASHING SOMEONE ELSES. Seriously! SERIOUSLY? when did taking a stand, or having an opinion equate to making fun, nasty, glib remarks about someone elses?
Every 'political' statement I see on FB is an ugly slur with a half truth caption and expressive but often not associated directly photo attached. Its ALWAYS about the other guy. Its ALWAYS negative.
Op....you TITLED this as something you were already negative about....you didn't say: here is what I believe in, and am positive about, and how and where I want to share and live.....you started it as: Here's why / where I wouldn't want to live. This type of person is against my rights. Uh...? really? Do you think that person of that persuasion sees it that way? Do you think that conservative always wants directly to smother rights?
I just don't get it. But....NO doubt....because of our current backward 'expressions' of 'politics' (which again....SAVE me from anyone 'posting' political stances that have NOTHING to do with what they personally believe in, but just want to sneer and poke fun at someone elses) ........this is the current way we throw a wall up from the get go...and make sure we pi$$ SOMEONE off first, so no one can get anywhere.

MoonoverMississippi
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Spot-on! I have relatives who live in The Villages. It's like Stepford/Disney World for old rich white conservatives. The whole Ocala area seems very Bible Belt-y, in fact--every single billboard is either anti-abortion, bible quotes, or anti-abortion with bible quotes. So, actually, in terms of women's rights, it's not really very much into personal freedom.

SIL lives in the Villages area and works for a local physican's center whose main patient base is made up of Village residents. The area has an amazing STD issue for what one would expect from "old white conservatives", lol, and the gathering information on partners can be quite...lengthy. Definitely one sin they don't mind breaking.

Frizzle
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
Well, Coyoteco, aren't you a special little snowflake. :lol:

I know all about the drone issues. I do support the president's ability to take out al Queda operatives, and I'm sure you would too if it was a Republican in office instead of a Democrat. I have a relative who works in the drone program, and it's not like they're all sitting around looking for American citizens to blow up.

Like I mentioned before, I don't vote strictly along party lines. Yes, America IS a two-party system, and I do not hate either party because we are all Americans.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:05 PM
The racism in this thread comes from you. I suggest you take a course on tolerance. You are a racist whether you recognize it in yourself or not. Your Haiti comment was as racist as any comment I've seen in a long time - moreso than most. You should do some self examination on why you said that.

Haiti...small government...no health care mandate...I'm a racist?:confused:

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
:lol:

mvp
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:18 PM
This 'social networking', is slowly forming all of us to believe that 'expressing our political beliefs' is equal to BASHING SOMEONE ELSES. Seriously! SERIOUSLY? when did taking a stand, or having an opinion equate to making fun, nasty, glib remarks about someone elses?.

Some political views in the *content* ARE more unjust, cruel, bigoted, and ill-conceived than others.

What surprises me are the folks who defend a hard-line libertarian brand of conservatism. IMO, one must be very, very wealthy to be afford that. If you are not-- if you enjoy the benefits of distributed wealth with some of that coming your way, then you are a hypocite.

Hypocrisy is an indefensible dead-end. Pair that with someone who chooses to exist honest, reasoned debate or steadfastly refuses to have any self-awareness, and their attempt to defend their point of view becomes offensive.

I recently watched a documentary on the formation of the Tea Party. Many of the views held by those guys seem reasonable: They are unhappy with how their tax-dollars are being spend and therefore would like less government. But if that becomes a basis for racism or sexism (in the name of legitimizing their particular brand of bigotry), the larger goal of preserving personal freedom can't be defended.

Why would anyone consent to giving personal freedom *so that* folks are free to maintain hate and prejudice?

happymom
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:21 PM
Somewhat apropos:

Gun Control

The War Within: Training Survivalists in North Florida

By TIME StaffFeb. 22, 2013

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/02/22/the-war-within-training-survivalists-in-north-florida/#ixzz2LpnbherC

Bristol Bay
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:57 PM
Somewhat apropos:

Gun Control

The War Within: Training Survivalists in North Florida

By TIME StaffFeb. 22, 2013

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/02/22/the-war-within-training-survivalists-in-north-florida/#ixzz2LpnbherC

Last paragraph: “Our support for the Second Amendment always gets attention,” Foster, 57, told TIME.com, “but we’re really Constitutionalists. The federal government probably doesn’t like what we’re doing — but we don’t like what they’re doing either.”

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/02/22/the-war-within-training-survivalists-in-north-florida/#ixzz2Lrdi7SkK

Home, sweet home, OP! (Except for the socialist Medicare expansion/voting for Obama thing)