PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Great names you can't forget

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:24 PM
On the other thread, I noted my admiration for Munchie LeGeaux and Silverberry Mouhon:)

What names have struck you?

Just a few more:

Broderick Bunkley
Dwight K. Schrute
Atticus Finch
Rita Cappomaggi-actually, all the names from Moonstruck:D

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
Some more intriguing names, thanks to the parents of the NFL combine participants on right now while I cook and clean:

Barkevious Mingo - excellent!
Cornelius Carradine
Knile Davis
Stansly Maponga

Rooty
Feb. 23, 2013, 01:54 PM
Freek Posthumus
Noel Cohen
Dr. Christine Suess - how could you not become a doctor with that last name?

sparky6
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Barkevious Mingo - excellent!

Geaux Tigers!!!! He was my favorite player because he is tenacious and has one of the greatest names ever! He goes by Kiki. Someday I'm going to have a dog named after him. I tried to get DH to use Barkevoius as a middle name for DS. He thought I was joking...I mostly was....sort of. :lol: You know you're a die hard fan when....

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
Geaux Tigers!!!! He was my favorite player because he is tenacious and has one of the greatest names ever! He goes by Kiki. Someday I'm going to have a dog named after him. I tried to get DH to use Barkevoius as a middle name for DS. He thought I was joking...I mostly was....sort of. :lol: You know you're a die hard fan when....

:lol:Most excellent! Mr. L and I have called one of our dogs (the yappy one) Barkevious so often that he recognizes it as yet another name to humor us with;)

Indy
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:51 PM
One of my current favorites is a guy who plays on St. Johns University's b-ball team:
God's Gift Achiuwa
He has a brother named God's Will

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:54 PM
Lucius Bernard.

This was a ripped and hot asian guy I knew in college. "L.B." was also a nice guy. I think he had a brother with Tobias in his double and baroque name. I thought it was cool and unexpected that their daddy (and it was the dad) gave his sons these elaborate and elegant names.

Renn/aissance
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
I went to grade school with an Alexandra St. John and greatly envied her.

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:00 PM
Did he pronounce Lucius Lu-shus or Lu-see-us? The latter screams Donald Sutherland to me.

frugalannie
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Two of my all-time favorite names (just because they sounded so amazing when the BBC announcers rolled their names out, not to name a kid or pet):

Ibrahim Babangada (per the BBC, his first name was pronounced Eebrrrrraheeeem.)

And...

Emerson Fittipaldi

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
Rabindranath Tagore. A poem in itself.

Heinz 57
Feb. 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Ellsworth Ingraham. An older gentleman, complete with fantastic, old-school script cursive handwriting.

mvp
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:00 PM
Did he pronounce Lucius Lu-shus or Lu-see-us? The latter screams Donald Sutherland to me.

The first way. Lu-shus.

How do y'all say the Barkevious name?

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
I believe the accepted pronunciation is Bar-KEE-vious, though being an LSU Tiger perhaps Bar-KAY-vious might be heard around the French Quarter, cher.

The possibility exists whereby Barkevious Mingo, Munchie LeGeaux, and Silverberry Mouhon could all be on the same NFL team - how delicious!

frugalannie
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
Rabindranath Tagore. A poem in itself.

Ooooh. I love it. How is the last name pronounced? Ta-gor or ta go ray?

Arrows Endure
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
Well, my names gave me more of a giggle at the time, but they were definatly memorable.

First, Seymore Wiener. Why in anyone's name would you name your child Seymore if his last name is Wiener?????

Second, and I kid you not, was Magnolia Thunderpussy. I only talked to her on the phone, but the visual imagry that name calls is entertaining....

Beentheredonethat
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:08 PM
One of my kids was named Quoc. I loved him, and I loved that name. He was very smart and quiet, but sneaky goofy. I'd call "Quoc!" when I caught him.

hastyreply
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:15 PM
My daughter's roommate in college was Heidi Mycock and she had a brother named Nick.

MistyBlue
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:24 PM
USMC Sgt Stealth Hunter Darkhorse

That's pretty damned epic. :yes:

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:28 PM
Ooooh. I love it. How is the last name pronounced? Ta-gor or ta go ray?

Rabindranath Ta-GORE, according to my Mom, anyway. My mother, a true Auntie Mame-ish eccentric, would latch onto a name, and this was a longtime chart-topper, and she would find a way to place it in her conversation a dozen times a day. "Mom, what's for dinner?". "Go ask Rabindranath Tagore". "Let Rabindranath pick you up from the barn".:)

lovey1121
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:34 PM

Yup! Native American? (PS- Speaking of epic--still guffawing over your Sarah Jessica Parker comment:lol: I read it to my husband this AM, and he's brought it up at least 3 times)

MistyBlue
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:39 PM
Yes, he's Native American. Has a sister named Dark Forest.

He's also a Drill Instructor, so the recruits are probably never sure at first whether to believe him or not, LOL!

War Admiral
Feb. 24, 2013, 12:21 AM
I once did a real estate closing with an attorney named L. Graves Stiff, III, Esq. You couldn't make it up! :lol:

ex-racer owner
Feb. 24, 2013, 01:03 AM
I always loved the name Emerson Fittipaldi too! Funny, there are a lot of race car drivers(NASCAR and various open wheel cars) that have great names.

I worn for a global corporation. One of our projects was partially being built in Taiwan. We came to learn that our contacts over there gave themselves "American" names. So we dealt with a "Demi" and even better, a "Vulcan", lol!

Trrr-ot
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
Tiki Barber, I just like saying it.

mojo7777
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
My all-time favorite? Catsmeat Potter-Pirbright from PG Wodehouse.

fargaloo
Feb. 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
My brother swears that in his early years of teaching he had a student named Titulina Bumsquash. I'm not sure I believe him, but it's an awesome name nonetheless.

He did have a student named Sukrir Balbender.

lovey1121
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:15 PM
Titulina Bumsquash

OMG my new very most favorite name:) Just woke up DH to trot it out. Excellent!!! Even if it isn't a real name, your brother deserves major imagination kudos for TITULINA BUMSQUASH

outside__line
Feb. 25, 2013, 12:22 AM

That is epic! There is a General Dragon in the Army, as well. Think he's a BG. When he spoke at an event we attended, everyone wanted to change their last name to "Dragon". It's just awesome!

DH says that if your last name is Dragon, they automatically promote you to general, because nothing else sounds cool enough. 2LT Dragon? No way!

Hippolyta
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:17 AM
I know someone who had a student with first name Monkedich. He was reading the roster & said he came v. close to saying it "monkey dick". The correct way to say it, apparently, is "Mon kay desh", which I actually think sounds very pretty.

I have heard similar stories about Sh'tead (correct: shuh-tay-id, which I also think sounds nice). not sure if they are apocryphal.

I knew a Hunter Farmer. I love alliterative names: Paula Peeples, etc.