PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever replaced a cracked iPad screen?

CS
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:09 AM
Title about sums it up.. 2 yr old ipad2. Screen met its match on a brick hearth last night. Apple will 'fix' it for $249 ( ie swap out for another).

Has anyone replaced a screen outside the Apple system?

NRB
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:14 AM
I think we just bought a new one, but I don;t recall...... maybe that was the swap it out for a newer one and got a discount on the newer one.

LexInVA
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
Yes, it can be done outside of Apple but the quality varies from shop to shop. In my area, there's a few people who do it as a side business.

Mickey the Marcher
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:23 AM
You can do it yourself. There are plenty of online instructions, both written and videos. You can also buy a whole kit that comes with all the tools you need (small screwdrivers, suction cups etc).
It's tedious the first time you do it, but if you take your time and do it right and go step by step you can do it. Oh, and try not to lose any of the parts, esp the tiny screws!

Here's a youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5HhdeP_VY

Bensmom
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
Yes. We have a shop in Tallahassee called iDope. (isn't that an awful name?!) They specialize in modding your iPhone/iPad, but also do repair. The owner is very good, and they guarantee any repair for the life of your iDevice (which I was stunned by).

Replacing my cracked screen was $149 and when a problem came up about 4 months later, where the bond between the screen had worked loose and the cable underneath come unplugged, they took it all apart and redid it -- no charge.

Search on google about replacing it yourself if you are handy and brave. There are a number of places that sell the parts, and there are a number of youtube videos that show how to do it -- you can do yourself for about $75 total (at least that is what it cost when mine broke last year) but it made me too nervous to crack the case open. Once I realized that these guys stood behind their repair and would fix it immediately with me waiting, the extra $ was worth it.

But, I'm guessing the parts are now cheaper for an iPad 2 (which is also what I have) than they were last year, and if you are handy, you can do it yourself! :)

Good luck -- my iPad is my friend and I was devastated when I cracked it :(

libby