PDA

View Full Version : Cheese people I need help!

spacytracy
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
Help! I want to send a cheese basket to a friend whose mother passed away. She loves cheese, and I know she'd enjoy it more than flowers. Can you recommend something? I can't tell the difference between good stuff and Velveeta.
If it helps she is a Chardonnay drinker too.

http://www.thecheeseambassador.com/Gourmet-Cheese-Gift-Baskets.html

If these are junk just let me know. I'm trying to stay in the $50-80 range.

SnicklefritzG
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:36 PM
Beaufort is an amazing cheese and well worth the price. You can often find it at Wegmans and Whole Foods. If those stores aren't in your area, there is also mail order. Very popular in France. Well lived here although not as well known, they is if you can find it.

atlatl
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
I would speculate that a Chardonnay drinker would not enjoy really strong cheeses. Yes, it's a wild assumption by yet another red wine drinker. Anyway, unless you know differently, I'd stick with milder cheeses like cheddar and maybe some goat cheese. Williams and Sonoma offers nice cheese packages in your price range at Christmas time, I don't know about now.

I'm crazy about Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam and Truffle Tremor.

Just added: You might also be able to find some nice Spanish cheeses and fruit spreads that go together. Manchego maybe? with quince paste (Membrillo?)

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:53 PM
What a sweet thought! I did the same thing for a friend of mine who lost his father last year.

I order cheeses online all the time - like every few months - from different sources, & have yet to be disappointed. Although I haven't ordered anything yet from The Cheese Ambassador (but thanks to your link, I will now - lol!), I checked out the cheese selections included in some of the baskets on the link you posted, & they really look like they've been chosen with care & are top-notch varieties.

If your friend is a Chardonnay drinker, I'd probably avoid the Italian baskets & the All-Blue baskets, but any of the others should be enjoyable fair game.

LegalEagle
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
In my opinion, the French basket would go great with Chardonnay.

Come Shine
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
No advice but what a great idea. I want to order the Battle of the Blues just for myself.

Couture TB
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
We got this for my father and stepmother when they got married. http://www.cowgirlcreamery.com

They loved it, and we are all cheese lovers

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:24 PM
"Cowgirl Creamery" cheeses are great, but I think for a gift of the type the OP is looking for, cheeses assembled from different producers (like in the link she provided) is a better choice. While independent producers put out different cheeses, many times there's still a common theme running through them. If you know someone loves the specific producer, that's fine; but a mix of producers is better (just in my opinion) if you're unsure of personal taste.

Couture TB
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
"Cowgirl Creamery" cheeses are great, but I think for a gift of the type the OP is looking for, cheeses assembled from different producers (like in the link she provided) is a better choice. While independent producers put out different cheeses, many times there's still a common theme running through them. If you know someone loves the specific producer, that's fine; but a mix of producers is better (just in my opinion) if you're unsure of personal taste.

I agree. The link wouldn't open on my tablet for some reason, must have flash player. Didn't know it offers from different producers. Will have to check it out on DH laptop

Foxtrot's
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:51 PM
That is the best idea.

A cheeseboard is usually made up of different types ofcheeses - a hard, a soft, a brie style, a blue, etc. Then a few nice crackers, nuts and grapes/apples. Artisan cheeses make it special.

I love cheese and am fortunate to be able to bring some varieties home from visits to Switzerland - the best place on earth for cheese and chocolate!

spacytracy
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
I ended up ordering the little French basket.
Thank for all the suggestions, and I bookmarked the cowgirl creamery page too!