PDA

View Full Version : OMG The Waiting is Killing ME!

hrford
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
So I'm looking for a job. I've been out of work since I had my daughter in 2008. She's a special needs kid and she's just now to the stage I feel comfortable leaving her with others. I teach lessons now, but that isn't my career and I'm chomping at the bit to get back into a career.

I actually have a job offer for the Navy (financial analyst) but because of Congress shenanigans I can't start and who knows if the job will exist in 2 months time.

This morning while looking through new job applications I found the PERFECT JOB for me. My other passion, besides horses, is luxury/fast cars. Not very girly but I love 'em. Anyway this job is being the assistant to the Director of sales for BUGATTI!!!! Yes million dollar cars. I was like a little girl jumping up and down when I saw it. I'm so completely qualified for it and I definitely have the drive.

So I spent over two hours writing the perfect response to their questions, drafting a better resume and the ideal cover letter and then I hit send!

Now I'm second guessing everything, and I feel like a kid before Christmas, except I'm not sure if I'm on the naughty or nice list. Now I wait and really hope they realize how perfect I am for this job.

So tell me, did you ever find the perfect job listing for you? Did you get the job? How long did you have to wait? Please make me feel good!!

Kryswyn
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Well, I was going to tell you my experience with the jobs I was perfect for, as well as eminently qualified for, but you asked us to make you feel good. I wish you better luck with both jobs. :)

hrford
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
I know, I know. The chances are almost zero. . . but I really really want it. Does that count for anything?

BigBayHanoMare
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
I found my dream job and company several times over. I applied many times over the course of 3.5 years, and it finally paid off this past October. It can happen!

Lilypad
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:42 PM
I did. I was working retail and looking for a "real job." In the paper there was an ad for an assistant editor for an equine magazine. It was a perfect combination of my two passions: writing and horses.

Despite not being qualified, I wrote the best cover letter and resume I could, and got an interview. Ended up getting the job somehow! I think they recognized my passion and my willingness to do whatever it took to make it work.

I worked there for 3 years until I decided it was time to move on--not because I didn't like the work (I still do write and edit horse-related articles freelance--no, not for COTH!), but because I needed something with more pay and benefits, and the magazine ended up being a bit dysfunctional.

But, go for it! It may not happen, but it's totally worth trying. I do think passion, if you present it properly, can make up for a lack of qualifications (it worked for me, anyway!).

hasahorse
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
I am waiting right now too. I am employed in a position that I am so not qualified for, but have made work for the last two years. The new position would allow me to work in an area that I am passionate about. I interviewed on the 5th, and the Exec. Director of the non-profit told me I was at the top of his short list. Now, I don't know if I actually am or if he was just blowing sunshine up my dress. As of right now, he has yet to call any of my references (they are all my friends/colleagues), so I don't know what is going on. I am thinking maybe I didn't get it, but at the same time, it was 4 weeks from the time I submitted my resume to the day I called for the interview.
Waiting sucks. I know this is an exercise in patience, and I so don't have any right now.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:05 PM
I applied for an internship with my DREAM COMPANY at the beginning of the month. When I say dream job, I mean I have wanted to work for this company since literally the day I started my education in my field. Which is nothing to sneeze at, as that was 9 years of school ago. :lol:

They had between 150 and 200 PhD-candidate applicants for this single internship (although they get 1000+ applicants for their "normal" jobs so that's not TOO bad). They said we'd hear back by "mid-Februrary" if we had an interview.

I hadn't heard back by Wedneday the 20th, and I was feeling pretty hopeless. I emailed to check in with them... and lo and behold!! I have a phone interview on Monday!! I bawled when I read the email.

Now to just make it through 2 rounds of interviews and secure my dream job. ;)

AffirmedHope
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
I applied and interviews for an entry level state job. They called my references the next day (even called me later in the day after the interview to ask for references since they forgot to do it in the interview) my references said they sounded really interested and my interview went really well. It's been almost a month, but I will hear whether I get it or not (state's required to send rejection letters) so I'm thinking that since I didn't get a reject letter yet that I still have a shot. Nothing is ever fast in government, it took them over two months to start interviewing for the position!

KateMcCall
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Not just million dollar cars... Bugatti has the most expensive car in the world! That is way exciting, I hope you get it!

Sabino
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:26 PM
When my husband bought our SL Benz in Dallas a couple years ago, they were bringing a brand new Veyron into the showroom and they let him sit in it! He said the guy driving it was really nervous driving in through the hallway.

Which isn't suprising since replacement tires alone cost $38,000...

hrford
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:27 PM
If you put the racing fuel in it it's over 1,000 eu to fill the tank.

Which would get you about 2x at speed at the nurbergerring. But I guess if you spend that kind of $ on a car, thousands to fill the tank isn't really anything to worry about.

It did cross my mind that my clothing is probably not expensive enough to work there.

SendenHorse
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:34 PM
Good luck everyone waiting on jobs :)