PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not do Facebook?

islandrider
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
I think I am the only one on the planet, but good ol' COTH'ers surprise me all the time. Anyone else not do facebook and if so, why?

Janet
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
I am not on Face Book, though I am on Linked In.

My husband is on face book, so if I need to contact someone through Face Book I ask him to do it.

Don't like their policies. Don't need another place to spend time.

Windsor1
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
I started a related thread last Off-Topic Day.

I have an account that I do almost nothing with. I just don't really "get" it, I guess. Well, that and my life is too boring and I have too few friends. :) I don't even know how many of the people I know use Facebook themselves. I know one (much younger) friend does, but I think that might be it.

I guess my first instinct, if I want to share a photo or something else with people, would be to text or e-mail them rather than use Facebook, so I just really don't have much use for it personally. Clearly, though, many other people love it!!

2DogsFarm
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
NTYVM
I tried it and now wish I could delete my profile to end the constant "you have a friend request" emails.

Total time-waster as far as I can see.

Unlike COTH, which is a specific timewaster, but full of valuable info for the horseperson ;)

Deuce
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:57 AM
I've never had a facebook account, never will. I know who my friends are and if I want to talk to them they're just a phone call away.

And... I really do value my privacy.

Miss T
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:01 AM
No way. I don't have enough friends with computers to bother with it. But, more importantly, their "security" or lack thereof is too scary for me. My husband had an account for a short time until he was e-mailed a password for someone ELSE's account. That did it!

Lady Eboshi
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:05 AM
I think I am the only one on the planet, but good ol' COTH'ers surprise me all the time. Anyone else not do facebook and if so, why?

You have more company than you know--even among the younger crowd. A great many of my friends, clients and acquaintences of all ages do neither Facebook nor Twitter; more people than you may realize really spend very little time online at all.

As we all know, Facebook started with the college crowd, where it probably made perfect sense. It started to get scary when it spread to a teenage and even pre-teen fad, and kids were posting things that made them vulnerable to abuse, stalking, etc.

While I understand that adults too busy to "write letters" to their friends basically get it all done in one place with Facebook, the reality-show like need for "oversharing" blows my mind. People I know post their most intimate family scandals, lawsuit fights, sex lives, employment disputes, you name it on there. Possibly it's an outgrowth of the modern culture of celebrity; partly it may be honest innocence that this "publishing" can't get out to where it can come back to bite you; I don't know. From what I have seen, even here on COTH, I do think all social media have an addictive nature.

Personally, I have no plans to get involved in any of it. If someone wants me, they can pick up the phone and CALL. Or send an e-mail!

stolen virtue
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
I don'thave a facebook account, but people still friend me and according to a little add that sometimes pops up, I have three people that have unfriended me. I just would rather read the news or recipes than to read about people writing about themselves.

sk_pacer
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
No facebook for me either - don't like the policies or the lack of security. Although they have some games I would like to play, I am not going to make an account just for that.

c'est moi
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:29 AM
I don'thave a facebook account, but people still friend me and according to a little add that sometimes pops up, I have three people that have unfriended me. I just would rather read the news or recipes than to read about people writing about themselves.

Lol, that's just a junk pop-up ad. Truth is, everyone gets that advertisement. No one can friend or un-friend you if you don't have a Facebook account. And even if they could, Facebook wouldn't seek you out online to tell you about it.

Toadie's mom
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:41 AM
I do have an account, but it's all horse related. I have a personal policy- no family, and no work friends. None of my family is even on facebook, but my SO's mother, and nephew, have sent me friend requests that I never answered.

I've sold 2 horses to women in their early 20s and that's their main line of communication. They regularly send me pictures, and videos, so I'm happy to leave it open just for that. I haven't run in to any of the drama on there that seems to plague others;)

charismaryllis
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:43 AM
-raises hand- i really don't like the layout and functionality. i'm a BBS person. (well, i'm actually a usenet person first... :sigh: )

saddleup
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:44 AM
I use it, but have limited my "friends" to my children, mainly to see new pics of my grandchildren. I also am in a FB group with my trail riding friends so we don't have to make lots of phone calls when planning rides and times. We just post in our group and we're done. Much simpler.

stolen virtue
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
Lol, that's just a junk pop-up ad. Truth is, everyone gets that advertisement. No one can friend or un-friend you if you don't have a Facebook account. And even if they could, Facebook wouldn't seek you out online to tell you about it.

I know, I just think the ad is funny to me since I have no account. I do get friend requests by e-mail from people, some I don't even know but I think they are related to a group of people putting on local horse shows.

furlong47
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
I couldn't live without Facebook these days, as it is how I keep in touch with the majority of my friends. (Of all ages - some of my friends in their 50s and 60s are the most avid users.) However, I do know many people who do not have it - that is fine, we keep in touch via other methods. Those I know who don't have it tend to be either very private, not technologically inclined, or not overly social.

sophie
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
I have an account, with as little info on myself as possible, and I never posted anything on my wall.
I really only have it so people from work who want to "chat" with a group can include me as well.
Id rather communicate with people via email to share pictures etc.
As furlong47 said - I'm rather private and not overly social. lol

maxiford812
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:29 PM
I was pretty addicted to Facebook for a couple of years. Then came last year's election. I learned things about my "friends" that I didn't want to know, and the angry, vituperative posts from both sides just turned me off. I decided to take a break until the election was over, so deactivated my account. I realized I didn't miss it, (which surprised me) so I haven't gone back.

Over the Hill
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:37 PM
I have an account :o. I opened it to keep track of my grandchildren. I rarely post. I don't do the games. I have very few friends and just don't get it...

pal-o-mino
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
I have a fake account that I use so I can 'sign in with facebook' or look at pictures that you have to sign in for. There's no info or pictures on it. A couple people tried to friend me...? It sounds like a big mess, people are always getting busted on facebook, drama on facebook, getting dumped on facebook, etc etc etc. lol Who needs it. I really don't have anything I feel like sharing with the whole world anyway.

I don't do twitter either.

JanM
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
I have a FB account, but use it for professional stuff, and not personal. There's one person I friended because she whined about it, but I put hide on all of her stuff, and the second I leave this job she's gone. I can't believe the people (like the not 'friend' person) who have a million likes, and friend everyone on earth. It can be a time waster, but only if you let it.

Crockpot
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
It's useful for some businesses and to share photos I guess but largely I think it is a great playground for narcissicsts . The old attention Hos of the discussion boards have now found a better place to talk about MEMEME!!

There are some who won't fart without posting about it on FB, plus then they blog about it and post a photo of their pants. Can't ever say enough about ME ME ME!!

Chief2
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
I have a FB account. I also have a few rules: no one under the age of 18 is a friend, no rude politics, keep it friendly, keep it light. I have a small list of friends, with a few fun family members, and some post funny photos and quotes, or beautiful nature photos. I don't post much at all. Mostly, I 'like', 'comment', and 'share'. A friend posts short videos of her DD's riding lessons if she is doing well, so it gives me a place to cheer them on! People who are Debbie Dwoners, or politically angsted with no end in sight get booted off my little island!

Bluey
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:00 PM
I had to sign up to see my brother's pictures from his travels in Europe, where he lives, because he asked me to.
That is the only time I have been on FB, so don't really know what all is going on in there or care to check it out, really.

COTH takes all my time.;)

My vet asked me to friend him on Linked-in, I didn't know any better and did.
A few days later, after a whole bunch of emails asking me to friend them, strange people I didn't know, I cancelled that account asap!

candyappy
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:00 PM
Truthfully , it just seems so stupid.

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
I joined FB for one reason only--it was the only place one of my friends posted pics of her horses--she doesn't know how to upload pics in e-mails.

I expected FB to be a forum like COTH and was disappointed to learn it is not.

I find it boring. No real communication, just little newsbytes of things people have been up to, and if we were close friends they would call me or, better, we would see each other. Sometimes it just makes me feel more isolated from these people, and of course I realize that a FB friend is not necessarily really a friend because if they were we would get together or talk or at least e-mail each other.

The only reason I ever go on FB is because some of my friends will reply to FB messages but not to e-mail. They don't have time for e-mail, and I know in one case it's because they're too busy on FB.

I think it's just an excuse to not take time to be a real-world, real-time friend.

Megaladon
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
I don't have a very good picture of myself, so I have never set one up. Plus, no one would want to hear me about how cute it was when my chicken did this or my cat did that LOL!! And, people online can be really nasty, I don't need that negative energy.

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:13 PM
No, OP, you are definitely NOT alone.

I'm not on Facebook & never will be. Nor am I "Linked In", nor do I "Twitter". I find all these things silly intrusive time-wasters - at least in my world. Everyone & anyone I want to know about me or have contact with I deal with via e-mail, telephone, in person, or - gasp - the actual hand-written word.

Works very well for me. :)

Martha Drum
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
Plus, no one would want to hear me about how cute it was when my chicken did this or my cat did that LOL!!

I do not have a personal facebook account, but just three weeks ago, I set up a business page for my farm (riding lessons and summer camps). I have always been a contrarian type person, when someone says, "You HAVE to see this movie, you will LOVE it," I immediately resolve to hate it, etc., and I generally distrust big corporations with their youthful billionaire founders. I really started the account because many of the parents of kids I teach told me I should, because that's how they interact; I needed to do some advertising; and it is free. Also, with a business page, you can Like other businesses/organizations, and individuals can Like you, but there are no Friends or Friend requests, which is great! (wait, did I just type that?)

I have also always agreed with the person who posted about self-centered farting narcissists. BUT,

Through this page, I have in just three weeks reconnected with folks from several barns I taught at years before; with friends from my beloved horse camp in Vermont thirty+ years ago, and with a wider range of local neighbors in my community. And I do believe, from their comments, that many of these folks are happy to see how their favorite old schoolhorse is doing, or share some funny stories. Facebook has, just like it claims, helped me reconnect with old friends! ARRRRGGGHHHHH! *conflicted - head on desk*

I avoid posting serious personal information stuff. But I am having fun with the chickens and the cat. :)

Hulk
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:30 PM
Nope no FB acct here. No cell phone either. I just really dont want to be found. Wow mabey I am anti social.:lol:

vacation1
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:39 PM
I tried it, eventually, then got so freaked out by how EVERYONE I'D EVER MET immediately found me, friended me, emailed me, then vanished back into the ether that I cancelled the thing. The endless communication isn't for me. And neither is the demand for constant availability. I loathe feeling chained to my email or phone, and if you do it for one person, you have to do it for everyone. This way, everyone knows I just don't do social networking, and they know better than to try to text me.

VTMorgan06
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
I left Facebook 3 years ago and have not looked back! I am much healthier and happier without the stress of who's doing what on Facebook. I found that I was preoccupied with what others were up to and making myself crazy. "So and so is riding with trainer x now..." Much better off!

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:48 PM
I left it over a year ago. Huge time waster, and really tired of people posting pointless things like, Off to the grocery store.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:49 PM
Nope no FB acct here. No cell phone either. I just really dont want to be found. Wow mabey I am anti social.:lol:
Me too!!!:winkgrin:

clanter
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:53 PM
Truthfully , it just seems so stupid.

7th ot 8th grade I think.

Never had an account, never desired to have an acoount , never been there don't care to go there.

also a no cell phoner here also

Crackerdog
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:01 PM
I have a facebook account, it's just another way of keeping in touch with people. Very few of my friends are obnoxious and the ones that post a lot of meaningless garbage I just block from my feed. I like the ability to keep up with friends who are far away in a basic manner and not be involved in their day to day stuff. But I guess it helps that my friends don't overuse it. I can also link my blog posts that I think my friends would like to my facebook feed.

JeanM
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:04 PM
I reluctantly stepped on the FB bandwagon several years ago. It's sort of growing on me, but perhaps what has made it bearable is that I don't seem to have "friends" who feel compelled to overshare. I certainly do not; I pretty much use it to see what other people have shared but don't post a lot myself.

Now, what I wonder about... am I the only person who has never texted? Nor do I ever intend to.

vacation1
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
Now, what I wonder about... am I the only person who has never texted? Nor do I ever intend to.

No, there's at least two of us.

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:41 PM

You wouldn't BELIEVE how long I held out before getting a cell phone. Hubby needed one for work, but I just did. not. want. one. Only reason I ended up succumbing was 1) we lived in a rural area with fairly distant neighbors, & when power was out, so was our phone, & 2) the occasional auto breakdown was impossible to deal with without a phone. If not for those 2 things, I'd STILL be a cellphone holdout.

And the phone I have is JUST a phone. No texting, no internet access, no "apps". Just. a. phone.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:32 PM
MAke that three!!!!!:winkgrin:

sherian
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
Make that 4. I have a cell phone for work, simply because I want to keep my work seperate from my personal life. I am not on facebook, or twitter as I have no interest in being in constant contact with anyone. I have never texted, if I need to contact someone I phone or send an email, written in complete sentences with spell checker (I hate text speak). I am actually not anti-social just selective.

stolen virtue
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:25 PM

Five of us.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Three of us.
Now 4 I already posted 3~ We are not alone!!

stolen virtue
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:29 PM
Mr Stolen does facebook, twitter and texts. I think of him during that ad where the dad twitters "I am sitting on the couch"....I just don't think my life is that interesting and it kind of creeps me out to have strangers know your activities.

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:44 PM

DEFINITELY NOT!! I find texting dumber than dumb. Not to mention all the auto accidents & thumb-joint issues it's caused. (As well as dead brain cells & wasted lifetime for all the folks who consider texting a vocation.) In fact, I requested my cell phone company ("Consumer Cellular") to disable texting on my phone. They said I was one of hundreds of people who ask to disable texting, & if I want it in the future (I won't), they'll reconnect it at no charge.

Foxtrot's
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:44 PM
Yikes!

I did sign up, but then got scared and never friended anyone -- but I sure get a lot of friends each day that I never place. My world is pretty full the way it is.

Texting - I think I need a tutorial but my rotten daughter is too awful to want to teach me! I panic.

clanter
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:55 AM
They said I was one of hundreds of people who ask to disable texting, & if I want it in the future (I won't), they'll reconnect it at no charge.

I do not text message either, however during a major system overload (think disaster) a text message will got through before a voice call as the bandwidth requirements is less

sophie
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
I hate texting! I have an ancient phone and it makes it very difficult, and I don't want a smartphone.
I am so bad at it, sometimes, I just write something on a piece of paper, then take a picture and send that instead. lol

vxf111
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:02 AM
I'm not on Facebook. If I'm looking for you, I'll find you. If I'm not, I don't need you finding me or looking at my photos. I did get a Linked In account because my old firm forced me to. I kept it up. I don't *use* it for anything although I do have a bunch of "connections." So far the only thing it's done is allowed a cyber-stalking board member from here to find me and call my boss (which resulted in my boss laughing mightily at the crazy cyber stalker).

pluvinel
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:11 AM
I don't "do" FB.

I have an on-line profile which has allowed former high school classmates and former co-workers to find me after years (over 30-40 yrs in cases). We then proceed to communicate via normal email. It is basically a dormant account as I don't post otherwise.

SherlocksPonies
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:24 AM
Never have, never will. A waste of time, an invasion of privacy, and a great tool for incorrect information or backstabbing if someone is so inclined. Do I really want to invest hours of my life being sure I know what folks are saying and doing about me? Or to refute lies? Or to keep up with all the tiny nuances of everyone else's life? Nope, I'm fine without it...would rather spend my energy actually living REAL life with REAL people.

And, yes, in my experience, I also am finding a fair number of "younger" people NOT wanting to participate. I can see some use for those with family strung across the country or around the world, but it has morphed into something I am unsure it was actually intended to be.

As one of my young (age 20) friends recently said when we were talking about FaceBook said, "Egads, just phone, visit or even email people. And, if anyone really believes you have 1,256 "friends" because they link to your page, well, you need help!"

Crockpot
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
As one of my young (age 20) friends recently said when we were talking about FaceBook said, "Egads, just phone, visit or even email people

20 yr old says "Egads"?

ViewParadise
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:14 PM
I would love to NOT have one, but how? The Yahoo groups I used to love have been all but killed by FB. No one uses them anymore, everyone posts news/pics on FB. My sister doesn't even email pics of her kids, they are all posted to FB. Same with my hubby's sister. Local Horse Clinics/events are on FB before they get posted anywhere else, at least where I live. How do you NOT do it?!

GoForAGallop
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
Do I really want to invest hours of my life being sure I know what folks are saying and doing about me? Or to refute lies?

Phew girl, you got some narcissism issues going on there!

Been on Facebook for years, somehow I've managed to not spend a SINGLE SECOND "refuting lies" about me. :lol:

CDE Driver
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
I hate texting! I have an ancient phone and it makes it very difficult, and I don't want a smartphone.
I am so bad at it, sometimes, I just write something on a piece of paper, then take a picture and send that instead. lol

I think this is brilliant!!

Beentheredonethat
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:27 PM
I made Facebook account in a username, but I don't know how to use it, nor want to. I do not get it, nor do I want to. The whole thing seems scary to me.

As for cel phones, I just converted in the last year. I do have texting capabilities and learned how to do it, and it is useful for very specific situations. Other than that, I don't get it and don't want to.

All of this ability to communicate seems to really be stopping people from actually communicating with each other.

Rallycairn
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:29 PM
I would love to NOT have one, but how? The Yahoo groups I used to love have been all but killed by FB. No one uses them anymore, everyone posts news/pics on FB. My sister doesn't even email pics of her kids, they are all posted to FB. Same with my hubby's sister. Local Horse Clinics/events are on FB before they get posted anywhere else, at least where I live. How do you NOT do it?!

This is what I run in to, certain clubs or groups that only update a FB page, and often are not savvy enough to have the page fully public/viewable, so you would have to have an account to view the updates. Still, I don't have an account and hope not to ever have to have one for any reason.

betonbill
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:35 PM
Make that four.

Bristol Bay
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:44 PM
I find that this is true, BTDT, people call less and less because they feel constantly connected through FB.

I had an account but deleted it over privacy concerns. A friend of mine who is also a teacher was advised by her district to set up an account just to avoid being spoofed by students. My colleague across the hall had this happen to him. Students opened an account with his name, and posted pictures. The imposter posts as my colleague using phrases he commonly uses. Now, he is a popular guy and one of those teachers everyone claims is their favorite, but imagine the mischief it could cause if someone did this with malicious intent. Posted provocative interactions with underage girls, etc. it is already against our code of conduct to have any electronic communication with students that is not school related. So imagine a sleazy FB presence that was made public. Anyone searching your name would see the incriminating material. My colleague has contacted FB to get it shut down, but there is no face to FB and he has been unsuccessful.

I have one of those names IRL that is unique and if you googled me, you would find only the real me. So FB and other social media scare the crap out of me.

andreab
Feb. 24, 2013, 05:45 PM
I'm not on Facebook & never will be. Nor am I "Linked In", nor do I "Twitter". I find all these things silly intrusive time-wasters - at least in my world.

I just want to say that LinkedIn is nothing like Facebook. It is a great tool for networking and keeping up with business associates you would not have regular contact with. You can also use it to get an introduction to someone through a connection. There are also useful discussions on a variety of topics that may impact something your company works with/is involved in. The site is strictly business oriented.

carp
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
No facebook account here. I'm not totally paranoid about my privacy; I post on CoTH after all. However, I do like to draw boundaries between my different spheres of acquaintances. Facebook allows work, family, and friends to intersect in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

vxf111
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
I just want to say that LinkedIn is nothing like Facebook. It is a great tool for networking and keeping up with business associates you would not have regular contact with. You can also use it to get an introduction to someone through a connection. There are also useful discussions on a variety of topics that may impact something your company works with/is involved in. The site is strictly business oriented.

Except it made it very simple for the stalker to look me up, find my employer, and call the employer. No harm no foul as all it did was make me employer think the stalker was a nut... but it did make it easy for a stranger to "find" me, which is annoying. Because it's open to the world, even though it's designed to be business oriented-- the info on it can be used by anyone for any reason.

GoForAGallop
Feb. 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
Except it made it very simple for the stalker to look me up, find my employer, and call the employer. No harm no foul as all it did was make me employer think the stalker was a nut... but it did make it easy for a stranger to "find" me, which is annoying. Because it's open to the world, even though it's designed to be business oriented-- the info on it can be used by anyone for any reason.

Andreab was responding to the person calling LinkedIn a "time waster" and "useless". If you are in any sort of tech-y career nowadays (my area of interest), you NEED to be on LinkedIn to build and maintain those connections. People think it's flat out weird if you're not.

SherlocksPonies
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
Isn't it interesting that I am called a "narcissist" by someone here who has no idea that I indeed DID have someone on Facebook putting up false stories, false photos, telling lies and linking this garbage to people I know in real life (most of whom had the sense to ignore it or just tell me and let me know they knew it was someone being nasty on Facebook and not the truth).

So, because I am not on Facebook and didn't know this was going on for a while I had to deal with some very ugly issues because that was done behind my back, so to speak. I think, given these circumstances, I have the right to say I don't want to be on Facebook, that indeed people CAN post lies and false photos and that I find it can be a very negative experience (as much as it also can be a nice experience for some folks). It was not a fun time in my life when this all was going on and certainly did not give me a positive view of Facebook in general. So it's not something I care to do because of my own personal experience. How you think this translates to being narcissistic I cannot imagine.

I just don't care to participate in that area. That is all I meant to say.

As to the other person asking if the 20 yr old I quoted actually says "Egads" , well, YES she does, and often. But then, she is a literature major and so likely has picked it up in studies and it is a temporary verbal quirk.

As to tweeting or texting, as some here have also said, I never have tweeted and don't think I'll likely EVER text much, either. I would prefer to pick up a phone, email or see the person if I can do so.

babecakes
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Me. No FB no Tweets.

Too high school. Friending - seriously ??? ...... and then there's unfriending

LexInVA
Feb. 24, 2013, 10:44 PM
Andreab was responding to the person calling LinkedIn a "time waster" and "useless". If you are in any sort of tech-y career nowadays (my area of interest), you NEED to be on LinkedIn to build and maintain those connections. People think it's flat out weird if you're not.

You can lock down your LinkedIn so that your information is only visible to those you wish to share it with. I know a lot of tech people who do that. I have never ever used it and never will simply because I don't maintain work-related connections except by other informal means.

Wellspotted
Feb. 25, 2013, 01:26 AM
Some time ago a COTHer started a thread asking if any of us wanted to friend each other on FB.
Anyone know what became of that thread, or if a FB COTH group or something got started?

The above two paragraphs pretty much sum up my interest in FB.

Kryswyn
Feb. 25, 2013, 02:06 AM
I have a FB account and wouldn't be without it. I have closer relationships with certain family members because of it (at least I know where they are!). I've reconnected with high school and college friends as well as friends from 20 years ago when I lived in Hawaii. Thanks to FB, 46 of my college alums were able to 'be there' for our dying professor who was so grateful for our words of love and admiration.

I hate to say it, but I kind of resent friends who don't do FB because anything that needs to be shared can be done to all my friends in one place, EXCEPT for the non-FBers who need a special email, a special picture, etc.

Crap! I just remembered I forgot to call a non-FB friend Sat night as planned. If she'd been on FB, I wouldn't even have to call her!