PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Crochet out there?

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:16 AM
I have been doing it on and off this winter. Actually learned as a small child, but was not that good. I bought books this winter, and found that there are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to.
HEres the clincher, I am left handed, but amazingly enough, they have Videos for lefties.
I am getting fairly good. But my biggest problem is reading the darn patterns, No one seems to follow the universal code.
Some have Asterisk, some stars, Okay I get those, But Many are non specific about where to put the hook in weird patterns.
For example I am into making dish cloths. LOL
I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat.
Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.
I also HATE changing colors, All the youtube videos have different ways, none too clear. I am not crafty at all, but this is really relaxing and productive, I would like to get better at it. :winkgrin:

DieBlaueReiterin
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:32 AM
i love to crochet. i used to make all my toys' outfits by crocheting them. :) i got really good at it, somehow...i guess just hours of doing it. it's so relaxing.

Roxyllsk
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
I love doing it too. I make a lot of afghans for co-workers baby showers and gifts.

Saidapal
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:51 AM
If you will pm me the pattern or where you found the pattern I'll take a look. I've been crocheting longer than I care to admit and I'm pretty good at reading patterns. And sometimes, the patterns are wrong. I've also helped a lot of my friends over the phone.

Sometimes when I do get stuck on a pattern I read it out loud. Don't know why it helps, but sometimes hearing it makes all the pieces come together.

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:55 AM
I crochet. Sometimes more, sometimes less...mostly less these days...maybe I do need to get Dragon speech recognition software after all :lol:

but in the patterns, unless otherwise directed, the stitches usually go around the chain stitches. It's quicker and more flexible.
Unless of course you need it precise, then you have to fiddle the hook into the chain loop.

I prefer following diagrams, I can get my place with a quick glance, vs having to read the whole paragraph and hoping I didn't miss anything.

I used to make doilies but the dozen, outfitted my stuffed pony with everything imaginable, from saddles and bridles to blankets and polos...doll clothes....you name it.

Now I am making a scarf for the daughter of my friend...they are moving to Connecticut this summer....so the girl needs a scarf big enough to keep her warm next winter! :)

I also got a box with granny squares I started a few weeks ago. Prompted by another forum.
One of the ladies there is amazing. She made a picture blanket for a family member's wedding, simply stunning! Then she got a bunch of the other members into it and posting their works.

JSwan
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
I crochet but I'd have to see the pattern you're working on to understand what you're trying to do.

The instructions can be a little confusing sometimes.

Indy
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:31 AM
I love to crochet. I go through fits and starts with it, though, becasue it makes my hands hurt after a while. I haven't worked on anything since this summer.

I do a lot of baby blankets for friends' kids, but I find them a bit boring after a while (same pattern over and over).

I like doing useless things like doilies and I taught myself to filet crochet last winter. I have a really elaborate table runner that I work on every so often. I patterned it out to have my last name in a scroll font in the middle. I'm using a tiny thread hook for it so it's really tedious, but it's going to look awesome when it's done. I haven't worked on it in a long time, I should pull it back out.

Tee
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:44 AM
I love crocheting. Have done some clothes ages back, but now mostly stick to blankets. I love, love, love granny squares. They go quick (except putting them together) and there are so many color combinations out there to try.

Patterns, eh. I read them and if I am struggling to figure it out, I move on. LOL

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:02 AM
I love crocheting. Have done some clothes ages back, but now mostly stick to blankets. I love, love, love granny squares. They go quick (except putting them together) and there are so many color combinations out there to try.

Patterns, eh. I read them and if I am struggling to figure it out, I move on. LOL

you sew or crochet the squares together?

It's been decades since I did the last project. I think I am just going to whip them together with single crochets...so much quicker than sewing.

sk_pacer
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:14 PM
I also crochet and am a lefty. A few aunts tried to teach me but they couldn't translate it to left hand and gave up. Found an insert in a magazine and worked with that - ended up with success when I held the hook still in the right hand and worked the thread/wook with the left, rarely moving the hook. Don't do much now but still like looking at doily patterns.

hrford
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
I'm a knitter and on RAvelry as hreneeh if you wanna "friend" me there. I attempted crochet over this winter but just can't get the hang of it.

Saidapal
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:20 PM
If your right handed and are teaching a leftie you sit across from each other face to face almost knee to knee. Works every time.

JGHIRETIRE
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:54 PM
Currently I seem to be the crazy hat lady. Found a couple of patterns for berets - regular and bobble. Everyone in the family has one - made one for a lady at church.
I also love making doilies. My grandmother used to make tablecloths - gorgeous lovely huge tablecloths. I haven't had the patience to do one little square at a time.
I knit too but crochet is faster and easier to fix if you make a mistake.

JGHIRETIRE
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:58 PM
Can you try it both ways and see how it looks???
I had a hard time with that when I first started. If it doesn't look right it isn't that hard to undo and try it the other way.

I have been doing it on and off this winter. Actually learned as a small child, but was not that good. I bought books this winter, and found that there are a bunch of Youtube videos on how to.
HEres the clincher, I am left handed, but amazingly enough, they have Videos for lefties.
I am getting fairly good. But my biggest problem is reading the darn patterns, No one seems to follow the universal code.
Some have Asterisk, some stars, Okay I get those, But Many are non specific about where to put the hook in weird patterns.
For example I am into making dish cloths. LOL
I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat.
Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.
I also HATE changing colors, All the youtube videos have different ways, none too clear. I am not crafty at all, but this is really relaxing and productive, I would like to get better at it. :winkgrin:

Indy
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:25 PM
I found one supposedly easy pattern, It is double Crochet, And three chains, Repeat. Then the next row it says double crochet in the chain three space across. WEll, In just the middle of the three chains, or in each of the chains. Cause it would never work in each of the chains. I know this is probably clear as mud, but its a cute pattern, If anyone has a clue I would appreciate your ideas. I can probably get a link to the pattern.

My assumption for this is that you would do the oduble crochet in the space that is created by the chain-three space, not one dc in each of the chain spaces. It's hard to tell not having the pattern in front of me, but that would be my guess.
You can always try a few sets of each way and see what it looks like and then just rip it out if looks funky.

Tee
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Alagirl;6852077]you sew or crochet the squares together?

I single crochet the squares together. I like the look so much better than sewing them.

Roxyllsk
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:51 PM
I love granny squares too. I put them together at angles so the edges of my projects end up all jaggedy. And I crochet them together too.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:15 PM
I am sorry I did not get right back .
Here is the pattern link.. I know what a slip stitch is, But IT is unspecific where they want the 3 double crochets, In one stitch? Would that not be an increase?
You see I am beginner! Thanks for all your posts!!
See what you make of this.
http://www.kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/dish008.html

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:57 PM
I am sorry I did not get right back .
Here is the pattern link.. I know what a slip stitch is, But IT is unspecific where they want the 3 double crochets, In one stitch? Would that not be an increase?
You see I am beginner! Thanks for all your posts!!
See what you make of this.
http://www.kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/dish008.html

well, yes, you increase for a round one. from what I can tell without reading the pattern (too lazy :)) only looking at the picture I think
in round three you put the double crochets around the chain stitches...
then you also put two or three into the top of one double crochets...
the beauty is that it's not an exact science. you can fudge a little until you get the look you like.

JSwan
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:11 PM
Sannois - are you referring to Row three? I am looking at the pattern right now - I printed it out and I've got my crochet hook and cotton yarn ready.

If you are referring to Row three - yes, what you are going to do is work 2 double crochet in the chain space. If you look at the pattern you will see that it results in an arc - the "hole". It may look odd the first time you do it. But as you repeat rows 2 and 3 the pattern will become evident.

Want me to crochet a few rows and see? I've got zilch going on this evening and it's a cute pattern.

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:14 PM
doo eet

JSwan
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
Never mind I got the directions screwed up too. :ambivalence: It's row 2 and it's an increase.

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
LOL

sometimes the directions are messed up, too

bird4416
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
​I love to crochet. I just made my daughters old cat a sweater today.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:29 PM
See, it is not just me. LOL
I get frustrated if I cannot just read and go. IT took me a while to do the circles, But I made some balls and stuffed them with fluff and catnip!
And are they ever popular with my feline kids!
jswan, if you figure out the one I sent you let me know, I suppose I should just buck up and keep trying!

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:50 PM
I actually got it to the beginning of ow 5.

as mucha s I hate to read patterns, it actually works

in row three you put in essence 4 stitches in the place of three,as you need it for the circle.in row 4 the top draws in a little (says so in the pattern)

the thing I don't like, you have to creep up to the row beginning with chain stitches...

so in row 4 you do 3 stitches in the Chain space, one double in the center of the three doubles. the no chains in between make it draw in a little. but as you tug on it it evens out.

did that make sense?

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
I actually got it to the beginning of ow 5.

as mucha s I hate to read patterns, it actually works

in row three you put in essence 4 stitches in the place of three,as you need it for the circle.in row 4 the top draws in a little (says so in the pattern)

the thing I don't like, you have to creep up to the row beginning with chain stitches...

so in row 4 you do 3 stitches in the Chain space, one double in the center of the three doubles. the no chains in between make it draw in a little. but as you tug on it it evens out.

did that make sense?
Kind of! LOL Okay when you say Chain space you mean the space created by the chains you made, not the individual chain themselves? That was what was getting me!

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:47 PM
Kind of! LOL Okay when you say Chain space you mean the space created by the chains you made, not the individual chain themselves? That was what was getting me!

yes, the chain stitch, I mean around that chain stitch, not into it.

the only time in this pattern is when you finish the round and slipstitch into the top chain of your 3 chain starter

I finished it. came out ok.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/Alagirl_photos/097.jpg

RedHorses
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:44 AM
I have this book of granny square variations: http://www.amazon.ca/Granny-Squares-Crochet-Leisure-Arts/dp/1574866532 I really like one of the hexagonal "squares" and have finished a lap afghan with it. I've got a full sized one about 2/3 done.

Oh - I don't sew the squares together either. I crochet them together as I crochet the final round of the square (instead of doing the chain stitch between the clusters of DC do a slip stitch around the chain of the square you want to attach it to). The drawback is that I have to stop periodically and sew in the tails so that I can add the next row of squares. Yep - the sewing bit is my least favourite. :lol:

I made tiny teddies (approx 6" tall) when I was a kid and sold a bunch of them. I did a few dogs too. A lot of the teddies had sweaters (changed yarn colour when crocheting bodies and arms) with hockey team logos on them (embroidered by me). I even developed a toque pattern to fit the teddies, and scaled down a skate pattern (paper clip blades) so they could have skates hung round their necks. The scarf pattern was really easy. They were cute.

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 05:47 AM
How cute Red horses! That is something way far off for me, Granny squares, Still not too good at them.
Alagirl, I think that makes sense, I will start another one, and see if I "GEt" it!
LOL.

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:00 AM
Alrighty then, Got the round pattern going, and it is pretty cute.
We shall see. Only on Row three.
OKAY here is a huge question for all you experts, You know how patterns, depending on the stitch will say, Chain, whatever, 1,2,3, and turn?
I found an instructional video that was dome by a guy, Called Curtsy Crochet
(Name of a Hook, not the guy) :lol: And he turned the work, and THEN did the chains, whatever was called for, What do you think?? Does it matter?
I find my ends are screwy when I chain at the end and then turn, this looked better.

Alagirl
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:16 AM
Alrighty then, Got the round pattern going, and it is pretty cute.
We shall see. Only on Row three.
OKAY here is a huge question for all you experts, You know how patterns, depending on the stitch will say, Chain, whatever, 1,2,3, and turn?
I found an instructional video that was dome by a guy, Called Curtsy Crochet
(Name of a Hook, not the guy) :lol: And he turned the work, and THEN did the chains, whatever was called for, What do you think?? Does it matter?
I find my ends are screwy when I chain at the end and then turn, this looked better.

I think it does not matter much if you turn first or chain first.
Do it the way you prefer.
(the guy has a weird way of picking up the yarn to pull through though...)

kerlin
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:46 AM
I crochet too, fairly obsessively! I do mostly blankets, that way I don't have to swatch and can just keep going and turn my brain off.

I don't think it matters whether you turn and chain or chain first. I'll be honest - I don't always chain, and almost never as much as they say too. I find that sometimes it makes a weird lumpy edge. If I am doing a sc as the last stitch, I usually just turn.

I'm on Ravelry under the same name, if anyone wants to find me. I haven't been updating a whole lot. What I'd really like is an iPhone app that will let me update easily, and at first glance none of the ones out there seem to do that. Anyone have any ideas?

goeslikestink
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
use to havent done it for years made some dollies and ponchos and some pet blankets and waistcoats and all kinds of other things done a patchwork quilt as well

Alagirl
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:34 PM
as to the turning part:
I generally chain one, then turn for single crochets, then put the stitch in the first hole. The alternative is to do 2 chains then skip the first hole.
Same with the doubles, I do/did a fair amount of filet work. The three chain stitches replace the first double crochet. When I do regular stuff, like the scarf I am (supposedly) working on right now, I do 2 chains and put the stitch in the first hole.
It does cut down on the chance of losing that last stitch - at least for me.

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:49 PM
yes, the chain stitch, I mean around that chain stitch, not into it.

the only time in this pattern is when you finish the round and slipstitch into the top chain of your 3 chain starter

I finished it. came out ok.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/Alagirl_photos/097.jpg
OH you are my hero, That looks really great. I set it down, but am starting row 4. It looks okay... Well If it turns out like junk I will rip it out and start over.

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
I crochet too, fairly obsessively! I do mostly blankets, that way I don't have to swatch and can just keep going and turn my brain off.

I don't think it matters whether you turn and chain or chain first. I'll be honest - I don't always chain, and almost never as much as they say too. I find that sometimes it makes a weird lumpy edge. If I am doing a sc as the last stitch, I usually just turn.

I'm on Ravelry under the same name, if anyone wants to find me. I haven't been updating a whole lot. What I'd really like is an iPhone app that will let me update easily, and at first glance none of the ones out there seem to do that. Anyone have any ideas?
YES! It makes a very weird lumpy edge!!! And too easy for mistakes with a beginner like me. I thought the reason to chain when you started a new row was to add height? But really If you do whatever stich you are doing in the first stitch, it seems to make more sense! I am going to see how that looks!
I will have to go check out Ravelry!
Alagirl, So you went and watched the Curtsy Crochet Video?? :lol:

Alagirl
Feb. 23, 2013, 01:10 PM
Alagirl, So you went and watched the Curtsy Crochet Video?? :lol:

yes

nice instruction, I have to say.

kerlin
Feb. 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
I tend to experiment a little bit with how much height I need. I think the rule of thumb is supposed to be one chain stitch more than you are doing in the first stitch - so if the first one is a sc, you chain 2, if you start dc, you chain 3, so on. I will often not chain if I'm going to start with a sc, and only chain 2 for a dc.

Does anyone do a local knitting/stitching circle? When I lived in Boston I couldn't find one that would take a crocheter - no joke, I went into the yarn store and asked if they wouldn't mind a crocheter coming and they made a face. Now that I'm back in Vermont I try to go every week though it's been a few with working late and dealing with my horse. I find the time goes quickly and it's so much fun hanging out with fellow yarn people.

Indy
Feb. 23, 2013, 01:55 PM
I tend to experiment a little bit with how much height I need. I think the rule of thumb is supposed to be one chain stitch more than you are doing in the first stitch - so if the first one is a sc, you chain 2, if you start dc, you chain 3, so on. I will often not chain if I'm going to start with a sc, and only chain 2 for a dc.

Yeah, that's the rule of thumb I go by - but like you i don't always do as many as called for. It depends on the yarn and how tight I'm crocheting. If you chain loosely, then an extra one really isn't necessary but if you chain tight then it might be (I tend to crochet really tightly, which is probably why my hands hate it).

Sannois
Feb. 23, 2013, 02:32 PM

Does anyone do a local knitting/stitching circle? When I lived in Boston I couldn't find one that would take a crocheter - no joke, I went into the yarn store and asked if they wouldn't mind a crocheter coming and they made a face. Now that I'm back in Vermont I try to go every week though it's been a few with working late and dealing with my horse. I find the time goes quickly and it's so much fun hanging out with fellow yarn people.
That is what I have been looking for, I did find a woman who Does a craft help class at a local church 2 times a month, I missed last time cause it was cancelled due to weather. I thought it would be fun to see someone in person fix my bad habits!!!

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:08 AM
Well I sure am not going to post my version of the round pattern~:eek: I suck..
I need lessons!!!

JSwan
Feb. 24, 2013, 07:47 AM
Sannois - I'm really confused! you sent me an email with the pattern, and that's the one I was working on. But the picture alagirl posted is of a different pattern.

Are we working off two patterns? The one I have is a square dish cloth full of double crochets and slant stitches.

Alagirl
Feb. 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
intriguing!

I used the pattern in the link in her post. :)

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 03:55 PM
Sannois - I'm really confused! you sent me an email with the pattern, and that's the one I was working on. But the picture alagirl posted is of a different pattern.

Are we working off two patterns? The one I have is a square dish cloth full of double crochets and slant stitches.
Yes J the one I sent you is different, Another puzzler for me.
Turns out I cannot figure out this stuff very well after all.. Bear of very little brain!

RedHorses
Feb. 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
A lot of it is just practice. My mom started me with a left over bit of yarn that was maybe 6' long. Chain stitch. When I was done she said "pull it out and do it again." So I did, again and again and again, until my chain stitch was even. This simple practice gets you keeping an even tension on the yarn which is key to keeping things looking good.

Second exercise was similar - chain a length and single crochet back along the chain. Pull out and redo, again until my single crochet stitches were nice and even consistently.

Third exercise was the same as the second except using double crochet.

Once I had that down she started me on the plain old granny square. Doing it over and over until the tension and stitches were even and the size was the same every time.

This kind of practice can be done while watching TV, or listening to an audio book. After that it does help to have someone experienced to help interpret the shorthand in patterns. :yes:

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:05 PM
I have done that so many times, My stitches are quite okay, it is just the darn reading the patterns, cause folks seem to assume everyone knows what "They" mean, and not the universal abbreviations.
I get those.
Okay, for all those following along. The round pattern I posted in the beginning of this thread Alagirl did it.
Here is what I am confused by,
Row 6 says...Bla bla bla... v stitch in next v stitch. Arenn't all non chain stitches, v stitches and how the heck do you v stich in a v stitch.??

Alagirl
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
I have done that so many times, My stitches are quite okay, it is just the darn reading the patterns, cause folks seem to assume everyone knows what "They" mean, and not the universal abbreviations.
I get those.
Okay, for all those following along. The round pattern I posted in the beginning of this thread Alagirl did it.
Here is what I am confused by,
Row 6 says...Bla bla bla... v stitch in next v stitch. Arenn't all non chain stitches, v stitches and how the heck do you v stich in a v stitch.??

Oh, the V stitch is the Double/chain/double combination. with the space (and the stitches you put in in the next round) it forms a V.

So you first make the combo, then in the next round you put the same combo in that one chain stitch space. in the round after (I think) you then put three double crochets in the space.

Sannois
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:44 PM
Oh, the V stitch is the Double/chain/double combination. with the space (and the stitches you put in in the next round) it forms a V.

So you first make the combo, then in the next round you put the same combo in that one chain stitch space. in the round after (I think) you then put three double crochets in the space.
Okay that makes better sense, now here is another, I am trying that pattern again, Row 2 says, Ch. 3 Yup then dc in same stitch?? What stitch??
Then, ( ch 1 2 dc in next dc ch 1.) Get that too, the part brackets is what is repeated right! But the first part, ????

Alagirl
Feb. 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
Okay that makes better sense, now here is another, I am trying that pattern again, Row 2 says, Ch. 3 Yup then dc in same stitch?? What stitch??
Then, ( ch 1 2 dc in next dc ch 1.) Get that too, the part brackets is what is repeated right! But the first part, ????

it is increasing the stitch count, so you get a nice flattish piece. Down the road you put 2 double crochets in the same hole. Since you just replaced the 1st double with 3 chain stitches, you then put the double crochets at the hole near the first chain stitch on the bottom, so you get the approximate look as 2 stitches in the same hole.

Sannois
Feb. 25, 2013, 06:56 AM
it is increasing the stitch count, so you get a nice flattish piece. Down the road you put 2 double crochets in the same hole. Since you just replaced the 1st double with 3 chain stitches, you then put the double crochets at the hole near the first chain stitch on the bottom, so you get the approximate look as 2 stitches in the same hole.
I did that, And it is curling up like a flower, only on row 4.
MAybe I should donate my yard and hooks~ AGHHHHH~:no:

Sannois
Mar. 29, 2013, 08:17 PM
Well an update, Crocheting got me through the winter, I have about 20 Dish cloths, and for the record, I love them no more nasty sponges. Really cuts down on paper towels too.
I am still only moderately proficient. I am okay at it. I did learn how to do a Granny square finally.
I went to you tube and found a video, then went back and tried to do a granny square pattern, NO WONDER I could not get it. the video really made it understandable. I will probably not take it up much till after the summer, But It is so addictive for me. I finally had to just roll up all the thread and put it all away. For now. :winkgrin: