PDA

View Full Version : Fake Fish

alterhorse
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/us/survey-finds-that-fish-are-often-not-what-label-says.html?_r=0

"Geographically, the study had bad news for residents of Southern California, land of the midnight sushi. They were more likely than residents in any of the other sampled regions to be eating something other than what they had been told. About 52 percent of the samples bought and sent for testing turned out to be something else."

This might explain why I used to often get sick when I ate fish. I quit eating fish years ago.

Scaramouch
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
Lest ye be fished?

I'm actually not a fan of fish at all. Probably because I've never learned to prepare it properly.

Kind of funny if people are paying $$$ for fish and really getting an inferior critter. Why spend if you can't tell the difference?

Not sure how prevalent this still is, but in Japan dolphin, caught illegally by horrifying methods, is sold as shark and endangered species of whale.

alterhorse
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:38 PM
I just think it's a weird trend in the news lately with beef really being horse, and now fish apparently isn't exactly fish.

One of the news articles said that 90% or so of the fish is imported.

Frank B
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:05 PM
They were more likely than residents in any of the other sampled regions to be eating something other than what they had been told...
(Somebody had to say it)
Maybe they're getting seahorse in it?

alterhorse
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:59 PM
(Somebody had to say it)
Maybe they're getting seahorse in it?

Don't give them any new ideas...:no: