PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints/Stress Fractures

Milocalwinnings
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
I had shin splints really badly last year, but after not running for a few weeks they cleared up. They were horrible while/after running but for the most part didn't bother me too badly when I was standing around or sitting down.

About 1.5 weeks ago I noticed that it felt like my shin splints were coming back in my right leg. I've stopped running and have been icing and wrapping but they don't feel like they are getting any better. It bothers me when I'm walking (especially downhill) or standing, when I squat down and stand back up, or if I'm sitting cross legged.

I am considering going to the doctor just to make sure I don't have a stress fracture but at the same time, maybe I'm expecting recovery to quickly and should gieve it more time. WWYD?

LauraKY
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:46 PM
Doctor and probably some PT. Do you cross train?

Milocalwinnings
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:08 PM
I was doing crossfit this winter but stopped once I got back to school. Right now we workout 5 mornings a week. A general week will have: 2 days of 3ish mile runs + upper body, 1 day of sprints + light upper body/abs, 1 day of crossfit type workout, 1 day of light running.

I also run on my own 3 afternoons a week which usually is any where from 3-6 miles, varying between a constant pace and sprints.

canadianbacon
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:41 PM
Don't ignore them, my best friend had chronic shin splints when we were in the military that turned into stress fractures which were never treated properly causing them to re-fracture frequently and ended up getting medically released. I know it's kind of a unique situation, but the military mentality of just sucking it up plus the horse person mentality can be tough to overcome when it comes to dealing with injuries, ask my husband how well I deal with it!

Do you have access to a swimming pool? I'd suggest swapping out your afternoon runs with swimming or aqua-running if you do. Otherwise try something like the rowing machine or eliptical at the gym, anything that will reduce the impact while you calm the shins down. Also how old are your running shoes? Since you are putting a lot of miles on them you may need to replace them more often as the shock absorption wears out. My last tidbit of advice would be to get a referral to get custom orthotics for your shoes, even being a tiny bit out of balance with your foot can add up over all those miles and stress muscles and tendons, think of it as corrective shoeing ;)

I hope you get some relief soon, shin splints suck!

Milocalwinnings
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:30 PM
Don't ignore them, my best friend had chronic shin splints when we were in the military that turned into stress fractures which were never treated properly causing them to re-fracture frequently and ended up getting medically released. I know it's kind of a unique situation, but the military mentality of just sucking it up plus the horse person mentality can be tough to overcome when it comes to dealing with injuries, ask my husband how well I deal with it!

Do you have access to a swimming pool? I'd suggest swapping out your afternoon runs with swimming or aqua-running if you do. Otherwise try something like the rowing machine or eliptical at the gym, anything that will reduce the impact while you calm the shins down. Also how old are your running shoes? Since you are putting a lot of miles on them you may need to replace them more often as the shock absorption wears out. My last tidbit of advice would be to get a referral to get custom orthotics for your shoes, even being a tiny bit out of balance with your foot can add up over all those miles and stress muscles and tendons, think of it as corrective shoeing ;)

I hope you get some relief soon, shin splints suck!

I've currently cut out all running (including in PT) for the past 1.5 weeks. I've been using the bike and rowing instead. I do have access to a pool, I'll have to see if I can find my bathing suit.

My shoes are about 5 months old. I just ordered another pair earlier in the week and they should be here this weekend I hope.

Milocalwinnings
Feb. 23, 2013, 09:06 PM
Well I went to the doctor today and he took x-rays which didn't show anything. However, he said that x-rays often don't show newly formed or small stress fractures. He wants me to take another few days of no running/ice and a prescription antiinflamatory and if it's not better by then to call and he will see about getting me in for a bone scan.

Really hoping the anti-inflamatory works and that it's just shin splints... I don't have time to deal with recovery for a stress fracture. :no: