PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pantry item

Hunter Mom
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
I realized tonight that I cannot cook without my chicken and beef bases. I get them cheaply at Sam's, and find I use them all the time.

Sitting here on a cold night, cooking a pot of chicken tortilla soup, it smells wonderful.

What's your favorite pantry item?

horseymum
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
I am with you on the stock add Vermouth to that and some great cheese.

seabreeze
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
I'm particularly fond of sea salt. And while it's not really a pantry item, fresh garlic is a staple at our house.

Judysmom
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
Garlic and capers. I guess they aren't really "pantry" per se, but I use them all the time! Often together.

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
Booze. Everything my husband cooks seems to have wine, vermouth, etc. Everything I bake has beer in it. Makes everything better!

cowboymom
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
Butter, blue cheese, those stock bases, and fresh garlic.

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Bacon fat
Butta
Garlic
onions
Wine
Vinegars-cider, red wine, rice, sherry, champagne, white
Homemade chicken stock

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
Bacon fat
Butta
Garlic
onions
Wine
Vinegars-cider, red wine, rice, sherry, champagne, white
Homemade chicken stock

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
I forgot my husband's staples: white truffle oil and duck fat. Just toasting bread in duck fat and drizzling it with truffle oil and balsamic and some parmesan is awesome.

danceronice
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:36 PM
Butter, broth (canned, not from a paste or cube as those are salt, and even then I feel guilty but until I have a chest freezer I do not have room to keep enough real stock on hand), cheeses (lots of cheeses, from shredded to asiago to Michigan-produced feta) and dry pastas and rice. And whenever possible, eggs. At which point, i can pretty much make a meal with whatever else is around. (Now I'm craving risotto....)

Bluey
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:45 PM
Cinnamon.

Tha Ridge
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Maldon sea salt!

MunchingonHay
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:10 PM
Sea salt
butta
better than bouillon
quinoa
olive oil (good flavored ones too)
balsamic
shallots
smoked and flavored sea salts

kateh
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:44 PM
Oh man, I just whipped up a pasta dish tonight with some leftover kielbasa and zucchini, and threw in some chicken broth to make a bit of a sauce...that broth was SO good afterward that I saved the 1/4c I had left because damn if I'll let it go down the drain! I'll find SOME way to use it! :lol:

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:45 AM
Peanut butter.

equinekingdom
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:00 AM
olive oil, rice, pasta, and diced tomatoes. We had a LOT of tomatoes from our garden last year and ended up with MANY gallons of tomatoes that we froze...now we are working on using them all up before our garden starts producing again. :D

fordtraktor
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:38 AM
Lemons -- brighten up a ton of things, from steamed veggies to chicken to water.

Butter, chicken broth, a good cajun seasoning mix and Montreal Steak seasoning for quick dinners at night. Both work well on about any white (cajun) or red (MS) meat so if I don't have time to marinate, dinner is still tasty.

Red wine and onions.

ccoronios
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:39 AM
Definitely butter. And real maple syrup.
King Arthur's Unbleached, White Wheat & Whole Wheat flours
KA's diced sweet ginger (lemon & ginger waffles, oh my!!!)
Lemons
Made for The Berry Farm (and others) salad dressing with apples & Vidalia onions
buttermilk (Kate's)
wine...the more the merrier
and then there's Ed's fake oatmeal....

yellowbritches
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:45 AM
I hate to admit, especially since a lot you seem to be hard core cooks, but I LOVE the jarred minced garlic. For my lifestyle (single, long work hours) and my cooking habits (throw some things in a pot and see what happens), and my undying love of garlic, it is the easiest, best way for me to chuck ungodly amounts of garlic into just about everything I cook (hmm....and I wonder why I'm single? :lol:). I was putting spoonfuls of it in my store bought chicken soup this week as I fought my demon virus. Very handy, because god knows I didn't have the energy or wherewithal to deal with fresh garlic.

I also love olive oil and I have a grinder of garlic pepper that I grind on everything....salads, meat, one pot magic meals, you name it.

bits619
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
And here I was, about to proudly declare "cadbury milk chocolate digestive cookies!"
I'll still say it, but a little sheepishly compared to all these actual cooking items..... I mean it IS in my pantry...

Louise
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:27 PM
And here I was, about to proudly declare "cadbury milk chocolate digestive cookies!"
I'll still say it, but a little sheepishly compared to all these actual cooking items..... I mean it IS in my pantry...

I understand this, only with me it's Pepperidge Farm Chessmen.

stolen virtue
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:29 PM
I actually have a pantry and it is full of chicken stock, vegetable stock, pasta, italian canned tomatoes, and unfortunately cashew poppycock. We eat a lot of pasta and soup. I always have real parm, and fresh mozzerella in the frig.

cowboymom
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:33 PM
Yellowbritches, I make my own minced garlic but if I didn't have the time I would buy it too. I'm really picky about my garlic though and if it has any green to it at all I think it's too bitter and sometimes the jarred store bought tastes that way to me. I mince a ton of it when I'm in a cooking mood, put it in some olive oil, and use that through the week. It is so much easier than chopping on the spot.

HorsesRMyTherapy
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:33 PM
Kalamata olives
Dates
Figs
Peanuts
Garlic
Onions
Olive oil
Honey
Flours (I'm a grains collector lol)
Salts (see above)
Potatoes
Eggs
apples
With those ingredients I have comfortably weathered the storms of life and had something to share with my horses :).

Indy
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
Orzo
Canned tomatoes
Canned beans (becasue I'm too lazy to soak my own dried)
Rice
King Arthur bread & wheat flour
Parmesean cheese (ok, not in the pantry but still a must-have)

buck22
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
Sea salt
butta
better than bouillon
quinoa
olive oil (good flavored ones too)
balsamic
shallots
smoked and flavored sea salts

I'll swap out the quinoa for capers, and the balsamic for champagne vinegar, add some lemons (FRESH I use zest more than juice) this is pretty much my list too. Better than bullion ROCKS, I just made lobster ravioli the other day and put a smidge in my pasta dough, the result was fantastic. Only thing that stinks is that it must be refrigerated.

Stock I use intensively, same with wine.

I primarily use grey salt I buy in bulk from an asian market.

Another thing I use quite a bit are dried mushrooms (generally porchini) and sundried tomatoes.

KateKat
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
onions, stock, coconut milk, cashews/almonds. Those are things ALWAYS in my pantry. Oh, and canned tomatoes of various flavors.

carolprudm
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
Chocolate

Janet
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
Marmite
Worcestershire sauce
horseradish
fresh ginger
vermouth
eggs
pasta
chicken and beef stock
cheeses
beer for cooking
canned diced tomatoes
canned salmon
onions
carrots

Simkie
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
Onion and garlic.

Quality olive oils.

Organic, raw butter from cows on new spring grass (we stock up and freeze, using all year.)

Quality spices like whole nutmeg, a variety of different peppers and various chili powders.

I'm surprised to hear how many people use Better Than Bouillon or similar. Making real stock is just so damned easy (http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/), and it freezes so well. We generally roast a chicken a week in the winter and use the stock made from the carcass all week.

kasjordan
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
Olive oil, white wine, garlic and black pepper. The wine is sometimes for the food I'm cooking, sometimes not ;-)

Acertainsmile
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Newest item, Panko! Just recently made Cordon Bleu from scratch, with seasoned flour, seasond egg and seasoned Panko as the outer coating, also subsituted Swiss cheese for Gouda, delicious!

sophie
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
Some "pantry" items that never make it into the pantry because we use them all the time:

-Cold pressed virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- Herbamare organic sea salt
- powdered garlic grinder, NOT from China
- fresh "Parisian" bread

Other essentials:

- shallots
- natural nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds)
- all kinds of spices (coriander, cumin, sage, ginger, curry, nutmeg, tarragon...)
- live herbs in pots that we take outside in the summer (thyme, rosemary, sage)
- pasta
- basmati rice
- cans of organic diced tomatoes
- canned tuna and sardines
- G&B 70% chocolate

Chief2
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
I have a pantry but my regular go to items are usually in the refrigerator:
For cooking chicken, topping sandwiches and burger and salads:
Marie's Honey Mustard Dressing
Marie's Chipotle Ranch Dressing

Almond Milk
Grated Pecorino (sheep's milk) cheese
Goat's cheese (terrific as a cold topper to sauted shallots in butter with seared baby spinach)
Eggs
Polenta (I fry it)
Celery, carrots
Olivio Margarine
butter

Freezer: Burritos

In the actual pantry:
To turn tomato sauce in restaurant tomato sauce:
Scalini's Heavy Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes (the bomb!)
EVOO
Grapeseed Oil
Canola Oil
Agave Nectar
Local dark honey
Naked Oats
Ghiradelli cocoa
Ghiradelli Brownie mix
Whole wheat pasta made from semolina flour from Italy
Stockmeyer soups: Split Pea, Bean, Minnestrone--excellent!
Canned corn niblets
Kalamata olives
Tuna
Canola Mayo
Sweet relish (to add to mayo and mix with tuna)
Yellow mustard (hubby)
brown honey mustard (me)
red or gold potatoes
yellow or white onions
King Arthur unbleached white flour
KA whole wheat flour

ReveilleandRinsie
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:04 PM
Olive oil (the good stuff)
Garlic
Onion
Hot peppers
Rice noodles
My own chicken stock
Sriracha
Peanut butter
Cumin
Chicken (I get my meat from a farm up the road a bit; it seems to last longer and definitely tastes better, and I feel better about buying and eating it)
Apples
Cucumbers
Whole dry roasted nuts

buck22
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:18 PM
Organic, raw butter from cows on new spring grass (we stock up and freeze, using all year.)

I'm surprised to hear how many people use Better Than Bouillon or similar. Making real stock is just so damned easy (http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/), and it freezes so well. We generally roast a chicken a week in the winter and use the stock made from the carcass all week.

omg, please share with me how I can get my paws on some of that butter?? :eek::eek::eek:

Homemade stock, while easy and rewarding, sadly takes up fridge or freezer space I just don't have to spare. Canned has to do 90% of the time for me, unless I'm planning in advance. I do however save specialty items often, tomorrow for example I'll be roasting veal bones for stock.

Moreover, bullion also is supremely helpful in other ways beyond liquid stock. Meatloaf was on the menu the other night and into the mix with my worchestershire went a teaspoon of beef bullion. The lobster bullion was a fantastic (mostly) dry addition to my pasta dough, and when I roast raw greenbeans my only seasoning is butter, lemon juice and chicken bullion. This simple recipe draws a lot of compliments.

Better Than is more flavorful, less salty and less fake tasting that the little cubes.

Simkie
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:18 PM
omg, please share with me how I can get my paws on some of that butter?? :eek::eek::eek:

Is raw dairy legal in your state?

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/raw_milk_map.htm

We have a local raw dairy (http://www.windsordairy.com) that has their cows on grass all summer and certified organic hay all winter. They are also grain free. It's been a wonderful local resource for us--we get milk weekly, butter in the spring and cream for the holidays. We also get our eggs from them. They do beef, pork and compost, too, but I have other resources for that stuff (also local!)

If you can't get raw dairy, the Kerry Gold butter is probably better than anything else you can get from the store.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
Soups, Progresso, all kinds, for when you cannot think of a thing to make! :lol: