PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Weirdest/worst concerts you sat through?

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mine are mostly only bad because I only knew a couple of songs while everyone else was singing and high-fiving to everything else. :confused:

Pure Prairie League Va Tech 1979. The only song I knew was Amie:D

Howard Jones - 1988ish:eek:

Harry Chapin's brothers. Dont ask. They also did Jim Croce songs. :rolleyes:

nevertoolate
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:16 PM
Saw Bob Dylan a couple of months ago - DH has always been a huge fan and my brother was able to get tickets for a group of us in a box at the Verizon Center. Thank God we had the perks of the box...the concert was horrible. I didn't recognize a single song he did. Poor DH was so disappointed!

two sticks
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
Ben Harper & Jack Johnson were disappointingly awful. No Doubt was also atrociously bad live (and yeah, I think I was in 7th grade when I saw them, and still thought they were terrible).

Emryss
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:20 PM
My wonderful husband took me out to see Moody Blues when we were dating. I'm sure it was a good concert, but I really don't care for the Moody Blues. Not one hairy little bit. I had a terrible time. Good thing the company was good.

spurgirl
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
Tim McGraw at Mohegan Sun Arena in CT about 5 or so years ago. He was drunk. Kept leaving the stage (to vomit, we found out later), messed up lyrics, was clearly NOT wanting to be there. Kept saying how long the tour was, and he wanted to be home. It was one of the last dates of a long tour...

Very expensive tickets...we were pi*sed.

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
My wonderful husband took me out to see Moody Blues when we were dating. I'm sure it was a good concert, but I really don't care for the Moody Blues. Not one hairy little bit. I had a terrible time. Good thing the company was good.

Gah - cant imagine having to sit through a whole concert. Knights in white satin---aaaargh and blech

suz
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:34 PM
i saw warren zevon open for the dead at santa barbara 1978. he was very drunk and shouting at the deadheads that we were to stoned to like good music. the hells angels were guarding the stage and they seemed to be getting mad. he eventually left the stage and the dead played.

oh yeah, on the way to the concert we were in our vw micro bus and we were in traffic with a lot of hells angels, including a family in a vw bug convertable--dad was driving wearing his colours and mom and the babies had their own matching duds. it was creepy and cute at the same time,lol.

FlightCheck
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
Paula Abdul. Late 80's when she had her first "hit".

Second date with someone who was too dumb to realize Paula was lip syncing.

pony4me
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:05 PM
Agree that Bob Dylan can put on a terrible concert. Luckily, Willie Nelson was with him and that helped a lot. Alannis Morriset (sp?) put on a gawd-awful concert last year at the Ryman in Nashville. Positively the worst concert I have ever attended.

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:08 PM
Phish. It was fine until intermission, when it started downpouring--sheets and sheets of cold rain. So everybody is standing there shivering, but we figured we'd warm up once they came back and played something to dance to. Instead, they did a twenty goddamn minute long rambling jazz improv. We left.

mikali
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:29 PM
Faith Hill/Tim McGraw concert a few years back. She was positively screaming into the mic the whole night. When Tim had his solo part of the show, the band drowned him out...

Madonna was another HUGE disappointment! No one is good enough to make people wait 2 hours past advertised start time for a dj to spin crappy music for 35 minutes, then take another 40 to clear the stage before finally putting in a half-a@#$d peformance, complete with profanity... We all get it, she likes to be "controversial"

thatmoody
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:46 PM
Ben Harper & Jack Johnson were disappointingly awful. No Doubt was also atrociously bad live (and yeah, I think I was in 7th grade when I saw them, and still thought they were terrible).

BEN HARPER was bad? I saw him when we premiered a movie at the Cocoa Beach Playhouse and he was simply awesome. He and CJ Nelson (a surfer) did a couple of duets, and even CJ was pretty good for a non-pro. But I loved Ben, and he was such a nice guy - very down to earth and sweet. This was before he got famous (actually, it was back when Jack was still surfing pro, although he wasn't there). Sigh, another good memory dashed.

thatmoody
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:50 PM
Mine was the Beach Boys at the Cocoa Beach Pier a couple of winters ago in March. Now this is Florida, and it never gets that cold, right? Well, this winter it did. It was like 20 degrees and SLEETING! I've never been so cold in my life, even when I lived in MAINE (well, in Maine I would have had more sense than to go out in that weather). The BB were ok, but you could tell that they were just dying up there even though they had big oil heaters going - couldn't exactly play in mukluks and gloves, could they?

In the audience (it was a pretty small venue - they had just roped off a section of beach) we all huddled together. I had dressed pretty warmly (I still have all my Maine duds because I go up there quite a bit) but I was still really cold.

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:08 PM
I want to add: any straight-edge hardcore band. Just because those were the worst concerts to bartend--all teenagers buying bottled water and not tipping, and my eardrums still almost blew out.

I also had to bartend for a Molly Hatchet concert that was pretty godawful, with an audience that was generally equally godawful.

Teacup
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:26 PM
I went with a friend to "a concert" and it turned out to be Taylor Swift. My friend was so excited, but she left disappointed while I left with my ears bleeding.

SnicklefritzG
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:49 PM
I went to a Theramin concert once. Key point: "once". lol.

mvp
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:55 PM
Some kind of Phillip Glass thing at college. Dude, why?

Coreene
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:02 AM
Kiss. I left after the fourth song. Thank goodness the tickets were free. Followed closely by Rush - I am not making this up, I fell asleep.

Natalie A
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:33 AM
Weirdly enough, Elton John/Billy Joel at one of the huge sports arenas near me. The acoustics were horrid, they were drowned out by the band for the entire night. Now I know never to go to a show there again!

SarahandSam
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
I went to a Theramin concert once. Key point: "once". lol.

My husband is an experimental composer. I have heard so. many. theramins. That's nothing compared to the circuit-bent Speak 'n' Spells and so on...

two sticks
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
BEN HARPER was bad? I saw him when we premiered a movie at the Cocoa Beach Playhouse and he was simply awesome. He and CJ Nelson (a surfer) did a couple of duets, and even CJ was pretty good for a non-pro. But I loved Ben, and he was such a nice guy - very down to earth and sweet. This was before he got famous (actually, it was back when Jack was still surfing pro, although he wasn't there). Sigh, another good memory dashed.

Sadly, yes! I was so excited for this show and we saw it at a great, small venue (Santa Barbara Bowl). I like what I guess is the more stereotypical Ben Harper stuff, and he played a lot of weird, electronic stuff. His voice was way off from the music, and it was mainly lights and smoke. Not a lot of singing actually going on. He seemed pretty out of it (I mean, it's a Ben Harper concert, I know - but way beyond like normal "I'm stoned").. eyes rolling back in his head, slurring (non-intentional) stumbling around, and way off from the music.. He played mostly stuff I've never even heard before.

Maybe I'm just unlucky with this venue as this is the same place I also saw my other "worst" concert (No Doubt..ugh... I was 12 or 13 and still thought they were awful). Or maybe we just got a bad night. I'm sure not every performer can put on a perfect show every time out.

Although I did see Pearl Jam there and that show was pretty epic, so....

Larksmom
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:23 PM
I have to agree: Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard. It was about 7-8 years ago, I was very excited as I had never seen either one before. They both showed total comtempt for the audience. Bob played only electric guitar, and he never said one word to the audience, like Thank you, a little story about this song, etc. He never intro'ed any song, and I didn't recognise any of them. Merle was no better. I WAS a big fan of both. never again.

terasa
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
-Bob Dylan last year. Not good.

-The Eagles a few years ago. Not overly great, reason I hated it was we were surrounded by old ladies with crazy perfume and I had an awful allergic reaction for the rest of the weekend :lol:

-Billy Idol. Friend still loves him, so we went with her. He was "tired" and kept disappearing while the band did instrumental stuff for what seemed hours on end.

-From long ago:
-Courtney Love/Hole. Terrible
-Beck. Not so great.
-Nirvana. Sadly, not a good performance that night.
-Weezer

ACMEeventing
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
Paula Abdul. Late 80's when she had her first "hit".

Second date with someone who was too dumb to realize Paula was lip syncing.

Oh my gosh, I saw it too. It was when she was all over entertainment news trying to convince the world she could really sing "come to my concert and see for yourself". 90 minutes of my life I will never get back.

A boy band called Color Me Badd opened for her. What a night; 4 grown people seeing a boy band and Paula Abdul. I left several IQ points behind I'm sure. :p

Indy
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:45 PM
The weirdest/worst concert I've been to would be when we went to see Coldplay in DC maybe 4 years ago. Coldplay was great, but whatever the hell they had for a second opening act was the WORST band ever. Their first opener was some battle-of-the-bands winner, and they were fine. But then the second one came on....holy crap were they bad.

I can't remember their name, but it sounded something like Sean Tofu. It was like watching Mili Vanilli dance if they were on acid. From the time the lights went down at the start of their set to when their set was over, at least half of the people in the Verizon Center had cleared out. Right before their last song, the lead 'singer' said something like "Thank you DC, you all have been wonderful" - and everyone who was left in the stadium clapped, probably thinking like we were that they were going to be done and we were happy about that. Then the singer continued with "We have one more song for you!!". The whole place groaned. At once, this huge all-Verizon Center collective groan. It was hilarious. I've never heard so many people make annoyed noises at the same time.

tabula rashah
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
I went to see Eek A Mouse with DH a few years back in DC. He was really, really late coming out on stage (like 2+ hours) so the opening band (a trainwreck called Granola Funk Express) played on, and on, and on... I'm pretty sure they are one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

Dazednconfused
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:17 PM

-The Eagles a few years ago. Not overly great, reason I hated it was we were surrounded by old ladies with crazy perfume and I had an awful allergic reaction for the rest of the weekend :lol:

-Billy Idol. Friend still loves him, so we went with her. He was "tired" and kept disappearing while the band did instrumental stuff for what seemed hours on end.

-From long ago:
-Beck. Not so great.
-Weezer

Sad that Beck and Nirvana weren't good :( However, I saw Weezer a couple of years ago and had lot of fun honestly. Very enjoyable :)

hastyreply
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:23 PM
Jerry Jeff Walker at TX A&M in 1977. He was late and drunk. Pretty much turned me off of concerts. I can't think of any in a concert type atmosphere that I've seen since. I do like dancehalls where you can dance as well as listen to the music.

wireweiners
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
Ozzie Osborne, somewhere around 1980. I went directly from a moot court argument to the concert so I was dressed in a suit. I think everyone thought I was a narc. Ozzie was dressed in a pair of skin tight leather pants and no shirt. His belly was hanging over his pants. Not a pretty sight.:eek: He was so loud my hearing was impaired for weeks afterward. I did get a cool T shirt though. The things we do for love.:rolleyes:

planetlisa
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:10 PM
Lollapalooza 94. The vendors ran out of water (we couldn't bring in our own, natch), so my sister and I begged some ice cubes off of them and ended up sitting under a shade tree noshing on ice cubes in the 90 ++++ degree heat.

It was then that I swore off big corporate -sponsored moneygrab festivals.

Muffin
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
Insane Clown Posse. They were on one of our labels, and probably the only time I was ever uncomfortable at a show. Entertaining, to say the least, but bizarre!

My friends and I were the only people at a YumYum show. So, they told us to pull some chairs up, prop our feet on the stage, and they played to us all night. Pure power pop, no noise, no smokers, no line at the bar, chatty band- what could be better!

planetlisa
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
Also, I was beyond bored at Tori Amos. I guess I'm just used to rock shows.

shalomypony
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:27 PM
I saw Dylan yrs ago...it was horrible and I walked out.

1sock
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:47 PM
I too saw Insane Clown Posse. :disgust: By the end I was not impressed and was drenched in soda pop. Even at 15 I don't know why I went, (I think just because some friends were going).

Bloodhound Gang sucked too. It was before the "Hooray for Boobies" album came out so while I knew they were rude/funny, I was not expecting the band to be yelling "show your tits" throughout the performance. Blech.

And I saw the Violent Femmes in 1999, my friend and I were both disappointed. Too bad, I like their albums.

Bands that I have seen multiple times and never been disappointed: Green Day, Marilyn Manson, the Queers and Joan Jett.

To the poster who saw Nirvana and Hole- even though the shows you saw weren't great, I'm jealous. :sigh:

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:50 PM
Harry Chapin.. UGH at a college! AWFUL!!!!

Bogey2
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
I love bob Dylan and van Morrison ....I have seen them both a few times and can tell you depending on the show they were the best and the worst shows I have seen:lol:

up-at-5
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:37 PM
This thread sure is bringing back a lot of fond memories. I cant remember a bad concert, maybe Stevie Nicks late '80's. The sound was awful, and she spent the better part of the night backstage doing costume changes.

To S and S, Molly Hatchet! Poor you:eek:

suzyq
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The concert went on and on and on. I got tired of seeing guys with long blonde hair flipping their hair around.

up-at-5
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The concert went on and on and on. I got tired of seeing guys with long blonde hair flipping their hair around.
DING! fries are done
DING fries are done
Which is worse, TSO or Molly Hatchet?:lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNAfSENE68

JustTheTicket
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:44 PM

-From long ago:
-Beck. Not so great.
-Weezer

Weezer? Really? You must have caught them on a bad night. I've seen them twice, and both times they were high energy, fun shows.

PhoenixFarm
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:34 PM
I saw Marilyn Manson as an opening act for Nine Inch Nails back before anybody had ever heard of Marilyn Manson. He wasn't bad, exactly, but since nobody knew any of the songs, and nobody understand yet what his schtick was there was a lot of furrowed brows and confused glances being exchanged in the audience.

The Cranberries were pretty blah, and Primus pretty unintelligible, but I can't say I've ever been to a truly terrible concert. As one of our first dates, Mr. pF took me to see some country chick play with the national symphony orchestra. Country isn't my thing and I thought the songs were super hokey, but even that I enjoyed cuz the orchestra was great, it was at wolf trap, and I was with a man I loved having a picnic on a warm summer's night. :-)