PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic Day

Adamantane
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
There seems to be a difference of opinion among COTHers about Off Topic Day.

Some seem to believe that it should exist only as a rare treat, but represents a lethal threat to COTH were an OT board made permanent.

Others think it should be available 24/7 as an element of COTH.

The current crop of moderators and policy makers seem committed to the former view.

What do you think?

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:15 PM
I really like OT. I like reading about what COTHers think on subjects removed from the animal world. I'd like it to be a fulltime forum.

LexInVA
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'd be fine with it as a full-time sub-forum but I can see it degenerating into a right vs left politics sub-forum in short order.

Canaqua
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
I think I've expressed this opinion before, but, I'd like to have Off Topic all the time. I think that the reason things become so heated in the OT forum is that all of us think we have to get our opinions aired and our words written under pressure, due to the transitive nature of OT Days. Speaking from my own experience, it would be easier to be more thoughtful about responses if there wasn't the "ticking clock".

I administer another, topic based board, and we do have a permanent "anything within reason goes" area...it's pretty mundane, since there isn't the pressure to "speak now or hold your peace for an undetermined amount of time".

Adamantane
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
I was motivated to post this poll because I grew dismayed with various representations suggesting that most COTHers regard an OT Forum as a threat to COTH's core mission. I did and do regard that as spurious.

LexInVA
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
Spurious indeed! Why it's downright ignominious too!

tinydragon
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
I'm a bit torn. I think reading and posting in the OT is fun, and I am interested in what COTHers have to say about non-horse related things. However, I do think the horse related posts and discussions should remain the main focus and I don't know how much a permanent OT subforum would subtract from that.

Interesting, though!

Pony Fixer
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
If OT was permanent I would get nothing done for approximately 2 weeks. And then it would jump the shark.

Perfect as-is. An occasional guilty pleasure lasting a few days every other month or so...

LexInVA
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:24 PM
An occasional guilty pleasure lasting a few days every other month or so...

Like your stash of Girl Scout cookies?

Bluey
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:31 PM
Ok, my previous response is gone, I get the hint.:lol:

Yes, OT days are nice to have and no, not all end up or even have ongoing political battles.
If they do, well, just as with any other we may not care for, don't open those threads!

Just look around at FB, how it took off when people had a place to just talk of any and all, even insane, superficial topics no one could possible be too interested in, like stories about how someone's three year old is trying to lick it's elbow.:p

There is SOME interest in any and all out there and OT day/s provide that little place for many on COTH.

I learn so much about people, so much I didn't even know people were thinking about, very interesting.:cool:

cranky
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:32 PM
I would love to see the OT forum as at least a weekend thing. I like the perspective of other horsey people on non-horsey topics. As a single person without much family, it's so great to get input on many different things from people that I feel I know to some degree.

cowboymom
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:46 PM
I like that it's not full-time. It gives everyone time to go to their corners and cool off and build up new post topics. If it were here all the time it would get more boring and fall into arguing, IMO.

furlong47
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:51 PM
OT day should remain a special occasion. It is already far more frequent than it used to be, and now has stretched to really being more like OT *week*. It's been a loooong time since it was actually open for only a single day. I like it and post on it, but I don't want it around all the time.

danceronice
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:57 PM
This is literally the only board I'm on that DOESN'T have a permanent off-topic forum. (FSUniverse goes so far as to have a second off-topic politics-only forum where anything political gets put, so people can engage or avoid at will.) It's bizarre not to have one as the assumption seems to be no one would be interested in talking about anything other than horses with people they met on a horse board, or that everyone already knows/sees everyone elsewhere when IME it's the board where that's LEAST likely to be the case.

clanter
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
I'd be fine with it as a full-time sub-forum but I can see it degenerating into a right vs left politics sub-forum in short order.

actually it would be left vs right

Bluey
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:00 PM
actually it would be left vs right

:lol:

;)

Pony Fixer
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
Like your stash of Girl Scout cookies?

Between me and wee PF, they're history. I am kind of a big deal in the kitchen. These cookies were THE SH!T and tasted/looked just like real Thin Mints. And they were GF. In fact, they were Paleo!

But now I feel sloth like from the food fest the last few days...

For those interested, here was the recipe...
http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-thin-mints/

Bacardi1
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:02 PM
Much better as a temporary/occasional thing, & not because it detracts from COTH. In fact, I don't even care for these more recent "week long" OT marathons.

It's just readily apparent that after 2-3 days, there's a serious proliferation of topics along the lines of "What's your favorite color?". Folks just seem to run out of steam & start posting ridiculous stuff just because.

horsepoor
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:19 PM
The poll isn't exactly bias free, judging by the wording of the available responses. Not so sure how valuable those poll results are.

I generally stay out of OT and only read a few of the threads, post on even fewer, and mostly roll my eyes. I do think it is better in small doses, and not fond of the marathon OT "days" of late. But, I can just stay out of the forum, and anymore don't really notice it is open or closed as I rarely bother to open it (kind of like how I never look at hunting, or western, etc...). COTH has been kind of blah lately anyway, maybe too much repetition and piling on, so really, I don't much care anymore.

equinekingdom
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:09 AM
I think it's fine...if people want it, leave it. I don't look at stuff I don't have any interest in, but do like seeing others' opinions (people from the horse world) on things that I find interesting outside of actual horse stuff. :)

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:17 AM
I don't think it should be added as a 24/7/365 feature because I fear it would take over COTH and detract from COTH's horsey focus. I can see it growing and growing and completely taking over.

But I do strongly believe it enhances COTH and furthers the mission of communication among COTHers.

And I can't believe I accidently voted for the wrong choice--I meant to click in the "enhances communication and mission" choice but just plain goofed.

Chief2
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:33 AM
I like OT just the way it is.

clanter
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:05 AM
The poll isn't exactly bias free, judging by the wording of the available responses. Not so sure how valuable those poll results are..

Rarely, if ever, is an opinion poll free of a directional bias; what is supposed to be a sampling of view points usually is the precursor of changing people's view into a new direction that supports the intent of either the pollster or the financier of the poll

Louise
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:48 AM
I think it would be OK to have it on a full time basis. It would decrease in popularity in a while, and that would be fine because it would still be there if someone needed quick opinions or thoughts.

However, if the powers that be thought that was too much, then it would be nice to have it on a regular basis, like Saturday, Sunday and Monday (for those that only post from work). Then, at least, we would know that we would be able to post our topic soon.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:20 AM
I voted all the time, MAny topic specific forums have an off topic section all the time. We all seem to do really well with off topic, and I agree what someone said it enhances relations with all.

Jealoushe
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:26 AM
full time! Sometimes there are things I really want to ask on OT day...but it is too far away and then I forget or the time has passed.

Bluey
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
I didn't vote because I think OT day either way is fine and everyone will keep adapting to whatever is out there, whatever way it fits them best.

We know what OT is as of now, we don't know what OT would be as a permanent forum.
So, hard to vote, my crystal ball is too fuzzy to pick.;)

sophie
Feb. 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
I voted for all the time.
I don't see how it would be a "threat" or "endanger" COTH.

Larksmom
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
That is why it is special! I am fine with several days, but I think it would lose its special place if it was everyday.

Guin
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:25 PM
I think OT day is very good for COTH traffic. It draws way more people who will check out the horsey forums more regularly.

Bacardi1
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
I think OT day is very good for COTH traffic. It draws way more people who will check out the horsey forums more regularly.

Why would someone just drawn in for "OT Day" check out the horsey forums more regularly? They either regularly do or they don't. Doesn't make sense.

Bluey
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:22 PM
Why would someone just drawn in for "OT Day" check out the horsey forums more regularly? They either regularly do or they don't. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe because they like to read all that OT day brings out?

The every day COTH stuff may get old after a while, not take long to read thru to see if there is anything of interest, so less participation.

OT is so different and new and interesting, which it may not be quite so much if a regular forum, but who knows.

horsepoor
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
I'm not so sure that drawing more people in through the OT forum sounds like a good idea...just thinking of some of the google searches that might bring folks over - yikes.:eek::lol: But I suppose the powers that be might like it as it would increase traffic and thus ad revenue. So those of you with a burning desire for 24/7 OT, maybe that is a line you should take.;)

clanter
Feb. 23, 2013, 07:48 AM
I'm not so sure that drawing more people in through the OT forum sounds like a good idea...just thinking of some of the google searches that might bring folks over - yikes.:eek::lol: But I suppose the powers that be might like it as it would increase traffic and thus ad revenue. So those of you with a burning desire for 24/7 OT, maybe that is a line you should take.;)

Revenue may be at the heart of the question;

The board has 63,333 members with less than 9% active (Active Members:5,335)

Bluey
Feb. 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
Other web sites, even those horse related, have at least one if not more OT forums.
There seems to be activity in all of them, the horse specific ones and the OT ones.

My guess would be, the larger the circle of interest you can draw from and an OT forum would do that for some, the more interest in any one web site you get and that means more advertising revenue.

Would that detract of what COTH forums are now and how, or add to them?
I dunno.:confused: