View Full Version : Off Topic Day Poll

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
[There are two threads. Be sure to see actual poll and vote since posting it misfired on the first attempt.]

There are a lot of opinions regarding Off Topic Day.

Some feel that it is a beneficial thing in small doses but lethal in large. Some feel it undercuts COTH's presumed purpose as the pre-eminent global equestrian site. Apparently the latter view is what's accepted as gospel by the COTH moderators and policy makers.

What do you think?

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:13 PM
I think the powers that be seem to hedge their bets any more.;)
They keep OT days open until some start protesting.:lol:

Smart people those.:yes:

two sticks
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:16 PM
I like Off Topic Day - more so when it is not on/near elections or other big political/controversial events. I've been able to ask some questions that I've gotten helpful, informative answers about (questions about the work place, relationships, etc).

It seems like recently OTD's have been staying open a little longer - a few days as opposed to just one or two. After the first day or two I think the novelty and excitement wear off and it simmers down a little bit.

I would like having OT open all the time. I think if it was always accesible, or accesible more frequently (one week per month, or on the weekends or something - though I can see how that would be a lot of work for the mods) it's draw would wear off a little bit.

I think it's a helpful and entertaining thing to have around. It doesn't detract me from the horsey aspect, because I come to COTH to talk horses. I usually check H/J, eventing, SHB, and Off Course, then wander over to Off Topic, unless I've posted something or there is a good trainwreck going on, and then I come here first!

We've had some great Off Topic threads, see: Chicken in the Oven, Canoeing, etc. I think it's a good place for people to ask questions that aren't necessarily horse related, and share other stories or parts of their lives that help us get to know each other a bit better, or share other commonalities besides the horse bug.

I have learned that it is best to back away slowly from the hot button and political issues or I end up wanting to do this:

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:37 PM
I like it, and feel that it gives us a chance to be silly and let off steam. Many of us are immersed in horses 24/7 and / or have other high-pressure jobs and lives, so we come to the board for dialogue and friendship, but it's nice when we can step out of our "riding selves" for a few minutes, and connect to other horse-people on a totally non-horsey level.

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:46 PM
I don't want to see it 24/7.

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Sorry, when the poll options didn't show up as promised, I started a fresh attempt. Thanks for your replies. Maybe cut and paste?

Feb. 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
I love off-topic days because I honestly believe COTH members are some of the smartest people on the internet.