PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid Cell Phone Plans?

caryledee
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
Anyone here have a prepaid cell phone plan as opposed to a regular monthly one? The rates seem to be a lot cheaper, but I am just wondering about any drawbacks? Any suggestions as to what company to go with? I was just given an Iphone.

wireweiners
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:00 PM
My daughter has the Walmart Straight Talk prepaid plan for her Iphone. The sim card was around $14.95 and its $45/mo for unlimited everything. She's constantly on the phone and on the internet and I've heard no complaints.

Alagirl
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
I only have the cellphone for emergencies....

I use tracfone, a plain thing that makes calls and texts...nothing else. I don't use up the minutes I get, so I generally have over 200 ready to go, and plenty when I have to replenish my service time....

DH has an LG smartphone with them, not sure what his plan is, I think like the straight talk, very compatible.
He can pull up TV shows on it, use the credit card device, etc, all the god stuff.
Nice phone, too.
Might consider getting one like that for the kid when he gets to bring gadgets to school next year....not sure though.

I have had tracfone or over 10 years now, no major complaints (except that I can't reactivate the box full of cell phones we lost over the course of the time, then replaced, then found...) :lol:

Mosey_2003
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:16 PM
I have Straight Talk and the actual phone service is great, no dropped calls, etc. Customer service is CRAP though. My particular Wal-Mart's associates refuse to help or answer questions. And when you call it goes to India or such and they aren't helpful either. But, it's cheap, so...

Alagirl
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:20 PM
I have Straight Talk and the actual phone service is great, no dropped calls, etc. Customer service is CRAP though. My particular Wal-Mart's associates refuse to help or answer questions. And when you call it goes to India or such and they aren't helpful either. But, it's cheap, so...

LOL, they probably don't know, because they are over from pets or house wares, tomorrow they will clean up crafts and frozen foods :D

Appsolute
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
I have Metro PCS - unlimited everything for $45 a month. I am happy with it. I am not on the phone often - but it does have internet which I use, my Gmail gets pushed to the phone, and it has navigation which works well.

Ditched my Iphone, and my ever rising ATT bill for it about a year ago. I won't pay more now... no way. Plus I hate contracts, if I get sick of the Metro service I can ditch it.

Tee
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have Straight Talk as well and aside from one massively annoying call to "Customer Service" (HA!), I love it. I've had it for two phones and about 4 years.

curlykarot
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:29 PM
I had this same exact question today in another thread! I'm currently in a contract with a big cellphone company and its expensive. Do the smartphones work the same as if you had a contract? Same speed, amount of dropped calls etc?

skykingismybaby1
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:52 PM
I have had a Tracfone for about three years. Costs about $20 every three months. I just use it for calls and texting, no internet. Works for me.

wireweiners
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:59 PM

I don't know about calling customer service but my Walmart has a special section just for selling phones and phone services. The employees that work that department seem to only work that department and are reasonably knowledgeable about the stuff they sell.

Hippolyta
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:22 PM
I have prepaid via Virgin Mobile.

It stinks. Price is right, but the network (really Sprint) stinks.

signal is weak such that I only get it in some parts of the house. The web network is shite, slow & b/c it is hard to connect, if I leave the service on the battery on the phone gets killed due to constant searching.

A few yrs ago when I was a grad student I was a secret shopper for Sprint. The one thing I learned (using their phone) was that Sprint network (at least around here) is horrid. I thought it must be better by now & went with the Virgin plan anyway. bad idea.

Right now I am just going with hit b/c I rarely use my phone & it is specific to this network (BOO). I don't want to get into a contract, so I will wait until I can buy a new phone outright to swap.

c'est moi
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:51 AM
Virgin mobile uses the sprint network, so it's not a good idea to get it if you don't have coverage in your area. However, it's easy to check your coverage before you buy, so no one should be caught in the lurch.

I'm very happy with Virgin mobile. My parents have the pre-paid Virgin mobile phones, and they're very happy as well. I've traveled from the mid-atlantic to N. England with my phone and I didn't have network issues.

Beentheredonethat
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:15 AM
I have a prepaid Verizon $50 a month. It's fine. It's supposed to have text, talk and web. Well, no web except one weird thing, but I don't care because I don't need the web on my phone. I hate texting, but it's useful in some instances, and that's unlimited as well as unlimited calls.

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:25 AM
Move South, Mosey! The people at the Wal-Mart where I used to live were very helpful with my few Straight Talk questions.

I love my Straight Talk phone and the service. I have had my little flip phone for about 2 1/2 years and have had no problems whatsoever. I pay $45 a month for unlimited talk, text, and Internet (it's not sophisticated Internet but I can e-mail, do low-tech research,, and access Facebook). I get no bills, no surprise charges, and it is all anonymous; they don't even know my name.

Straight Talk has more sophisticated phones than mine including touch-screen models. You can buy a $45 card at Wal-Mart, arrange for automatic billing to a credit card every month, or add minutes at straighttalk.com

I'm glad to see others on hear have it, as I have tried to "sell" it to many friends and only one of them has it -- the friend who sold me on it!

Murphy's Mom
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:27 AM
I've been a TracFone user for many years now. Love it. I buy a $20 card every three months. My original phone had "double minutes" so a 60 minute card was actually worth 120 minutes. My new phone has triple minutes, camera, video, music, and a full keyboard. It can connect to the internet but I never do that. I don't use a cell phone very often and rarely text so this plan works great for me.

Freebird!
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:06 AM
I have Straight Talk. I bought a sum card pack card at WalMart, and then a Nokia Lumia 900 on eBay, and used the ATT SimCard since we have good ATT coverage in my area. I do auto pay which makes the monthly bill cheaper $42 I think? My phone is faster then my computer, and I never have dropped calls. I can send and receive pictures, watch Netflix - though I do that when I have a WiFi connection - and Nokia Drive is awesome for getting me anywhere. I have never had an issue with Straight Talk's customer service, but I think that email is the way to go, for asking questions.

Straight Talk does have their own phones, but the reception is much better if you get an ATT phone (out of contract, of course)

bumknees
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:03 AM
My dh and I both have Boost, 1 ds has Virgin, and 1ds has Net10

Dh and I have no known problems with our Boost phones even in "no coverage areas" figure that one out.
However a friend of ds#2 has a Boost and can go in and out of service but he bought it off someone on FB.
#1 ds has had problems with his Virgin sitting next to dh and I.
#2 ds has had iffy coverage with his Net10.

All of (our) the phones have internet and do not seem to have any problems with it.

Mosey_2003
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
I don't know about calling customer service but my Walmart has a special section just for selling phones and phone services. The employees that work that department seem to only work that department and are reasonably knowledgeable about the stuff they sell.

Yes, I know :) They are the most blase, rudest Wal-Mart employees in the store for some reason. I tried three times to buy a phone and SIM card in there before I gave up and went online. Every question was answered with, "Well, I dunno, I guess you could..." and "I don't think that's how it works, you can try going online though." I was THIS close to getting a manager before I gave up, but that's really not my style.

Freebird!
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:08 PM
The Straight Talk SIM cards will work with pretty much any US GSM Phone - which basically means any T-Mobile or ATT phone. Setting up the phone to send and receive MMS can be a rad tricky, but Google will help you much more then their Customer Service ever could.

Freebird!
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:12 PM
For those wanting to use a Windows Phone with Straight Talk, this is a great site: http://straighttalkwindows.com/. It will walk you through which phone to choose, and how to set it up.

Mosey_2003
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:22 PM
I'm wondering if I should hit up a different Wal-Mart, I have my ATT Motorola Bravo that I was trying to get the SIM card for before I switched that they were so unhelpful about, but now I have a Nokia through them that obviously doesn't use ATT towers, because the service is MUCH better. The rub is, I want to keep my number that I transferred. There has to be a way to do this without losing service for a week like the first time I got the phone. Hmmm...

Alagirl
Feb. 22, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm wondering if I should hit up a different Wal-Mart, I have my ATT Motorola Bravo that I was trying to get the SIM card for before I switched that they were so unhelpful about, but now I have a Nokia through them that obviously doesn't use ATT towers, because the service is MUCH better. The rub is, I want to keep my number that I transferred. There has to be a way to do this without losing service for a week like the first time I got the phone. Hmmm...

try a different store....not all Walmarts are created equal (although, in my area they pretty much are, I can't complain, try as I may)

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:44 PM
What Alagirl said. The helpful Wal-Marts I experienced are in AL and while I realize that's a bit of a commute for you, Mosey, I bet there are some in IL too.