PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: What's the best concert you've ever seen?

tabula rashah
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:00 PM
For me it's a tie:
The first time I went to see Clutch was AMAZING (not to mention it was also my first real date with my husband). Now ten years later, I just bought tickets to see them for the 15th ( I think) time.

And two years ago, I went to the Reverend/ Reverend tour. It was Reverend Horton Heat and Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band. If anyone else likes rockabilly- these two are MUST sees :)

Mtn trails
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
Bruce Springsteen at Red Rocks Park, Colorado. It was summer, I was 21 and was there with a big group of friends. It started raining and we all huddled under a big piece of plastic. Could barely see Bruce but we heard it all and it was great.

Runner up was The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet at MSG.

vineyridge
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
Willie Nelson.

purplnurpl
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've seen:
Tool
Tory Amos
Live
Bush
and everyone at the Edge Fest the year I went.

Hands down. The best dig I EVER DID see.
Garth Brooks in Vegas at the Wynn.
It was unplugged. Just him (dressed in jeans and a ball cap) and his acoustic.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
It was more of a show though. Not sure I would call it a concert. He mostly played riffs of songs. He even played bits of other artists songs.

For example. He played a few measures of "Turn the Page" to show what influenced his chords for "Thunder Rolls".
He played a few measures of "Mrs. Robinson" to show what influenced the writing of "Summer".

Best money I have spent on a musician. I really want to go again before his contract is up but I don't have anyone to go with.
Any COTHers fancy a trip to Vegas? ASAP?

BEARCAT
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
Volbeat!!

Primus at Red Rocks was a blast too!

And of course, the few Grateful Dead concerts I saw (although those are a bit of a blur.) New Year's show in particular.

Pink Floyd is up there.

wanderlust
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:22 PM
Showing my age...

Stone Temple Pilots, '99 in San Diego. Amazing.

eclipse
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
U2 when they played Calgary a few years ago........smaller arena (seats only approx 22,000) and there was not a bad seat in the house!

Larksmom
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Best and most concerts was/were Commander Cody and the lost Planet Airmen. Always and forever the best concert/bar band. Ever.

3DogNight
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
There are a few that are right at the very top - Queen, David Bowie, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction. Lots and lots of others that were excellent, more than a few that I don't recall all that well.

terasa
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:45 PM
Jonas and The Massive Attraction. I had never heard of them and they were the opening act at a Deep Purple concert we went to last year. They were really, really good.

We attend a lot of concerts and they rocked it.

Appsolute
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:46 PM
I go to a lot of concerts – one every week or two! Most are smaller bands, in smaller clubs, for the most part I do not enjoy “big” concerts.

Nailing down a BEST is hard – but,

Adele – 2008, Club Bimbos San Francisco (little club 600 max capacity).

I do not think it was even sold out. We got to sit right up front, and let me tell you, she gave me goose bumps! It was her second show ever in the US ( played New York a few days before, it was a tour for the release of 19, her first big record).

There have been many other great shows, too many to list! (Kaki King, Murder City Devils, Daughter, … oh I could go on and on).

cowboymom
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:47 PM
I'm not a concert person by any means, I don't like them actually, but I loved Elton John a couple years ago! He puts on a good show. :)

Eye in the Sky
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:48 PM
I've enjoyed many concerts over the years, but the very best one I've attended thus far was U2 during their 360 tour. A close second would be The Cure. This does not mean I have not enjoyed all the other concerts, but these are the top two!

Hulk
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
1st place Megadeth
2nd place Johnny Cash
3rd place AC/DC

foundationmare
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:54 PM
The Rippingtons 5 years or so ago at Glenora Vineyards overlooking Seneca Lake. They are, hands down, my favorite group and to see them with the lake as a backdrop under blue skies with puffy white clouds, a big, enthusiastic crowd sipping wine and.....everything....it was a magical day! Oh and a random guy in the crowd approached me and gave me their new CD he had just purchased for me! And got a date with a cute neurologist I met outside the ladies room!

Appsolute
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:57 PM
2nd place Johnny Cash

Seriously jealous about this one!

ybiaw
Feb. 21, 2013, 03:58 PM
Ben Folds. With an orchestra.

Also, I saw James Taylor and Carole King when they did their tour together a few years ago - that was a great show!

MyGiantPony
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:00 PM
U2 did an impromptu free concert at Hershey Park years ago - maybe back in the early 90's? It was really great - never been to a concert before or since that had such great energy.

On the opposite end of the spectrum - any James Taylor concert.

LovelyBay
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
Keith Urban. Swoon... I've seen him twice...

charismaryllis
Feb. 21, 2013, 04:01 PM
R.E.M. at the crocodile cafe, october '01.:applause:

pony grandma
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:09 PM
Harry Connick Jr , his funk tour, in a black muscle Tshirt :winkgrin:

GypsyQ
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:11 PM
Bruce Springsteen

closely followed by Garth Brooks

paulaedwina
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Paula

TKR
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
TINA TURNER --- OMG!! She was just awesome -- how does she do it??
Loved The Eagles also. Had tickets to see Bob Segar, which I had waited on forever and had my bad horse accident the week before and had to give the tickets away! Still hoping to see him, though.
PennyG

mvp
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hands down. The best dig I EVER DID see.
Garth Brooks in Vegas at the Wynn.
It was unplugged. Just him (dressed in jeans and a ball cap) and his acoustic.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
It was more of a show though. Not sure I would call it a concert. He mostly played riffs of songs. He even played bits of other artists songs.

For example. He played a few measures of "Turn the Page" to show what influenced his chords for "Thunder Rolls".
He played a few measures of "Mrs. Robinson" to show what influenced the writing of "Summer".

Best money I have spent on a musician. I really want to go again before his contract is up but I don't have anyone to go with.
Any COTHers fancy a trip to Vegas? ASAP?

Yeah, I'd go to an acoustic Garth Brooks and dig it.

lovey1121
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:23 PM
Bruce at the Meadowlands in '84, the Born In The USA tour, when he was cute and ripped - we Jersey girls swooned!

Dave Matthews Band at Hammerstein Ballroom NYC right around when the 1st album was breaking. Incredible.

BB King, Buddy Guy, and Susan Tedeschi at the outdoor Arts Center off the Parkway down the shore. Buddy stole the show.

Lilypad
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:32 PM
Nine Inch Nails at The Gorge Amphitheater in Washington state 12 or 13 years ago. Gorgeous venue overlooking the Columbia River, amazing show (seen NIN twice now--awesome both times).

sk_pacer
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Large venue: Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon
Small venue: Little Jimmy Dickens

Odd thing about the Jimmy Dickens show - I was given the tickets and a friend and I, despite not knowing what to expect, figured What the hell, it's a change of scenery and rumour (from a good source) had it the food in that place was good. Turned out the show was just superb - despite his tiny stature, Dickens filled that huge barroom with his presence and wandered around, singing to the tables that were inhabited by only women.

ayrabz
Feb. 21, 2013, 05:48 PM
I saw BRUCE as a youngster....at a GYM at Georgetown....we were fans from the BEGINNING.
But, years later....living outside DC, I lived a dream of a local DC radio station's promo. They offered a big promotion call in, flights included of airfare, tickets, the whole shibang. My husband was overseas at the time the radio call came in, (yes, I have the tape of my reaction) telling me I'd WON........we were off to Paris France...to see Bruce and the E street band outdoors in a gorgeous park, HUGE full moon.....................we flew out of Dulles, stayed in Paris, went on the Baton Mouche, did the Lourve, did all the cafes, had a BALL....but saw Bruce amidst so many Parisians singing phonetically and loving the man, the band, and the music. WHAT a moment. One of my favorites from the night: Cadillac Ranch. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIomLMfAli8

here's the amazing Thunder Road...from the same show showing the park, the crowd I was out there among that night.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLsE-HufG8

OnThinIce
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:00 PM
Best concert was U2 at Foxboro stadium. The place was packed and at one point everyone started singing along with the chorus of Staring at the Sun. There's something about that many people all in accord that I've never experienced again. Gave me tingles.

Best small venue was when I was in college. We frequented a bar called Toad's Place in New Haven, CT. Cover was $5 even though it was Thursday and the band was some no name...The Huskabillies? Bouncer stamped my hand and said not to leave because they were locking the doors when the band came on. Sure enough when it got close to when they'd start, the bouncers ushered anyone with a stamp inside and locked the doors, leaving a lot of potential patrons on the sidewalk. Weird. They never shut the doors before. The lights went dim and announced let's hear it for The Huskabillies!...and The Rolling Stones came out on stage.

Event4Life
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
Rolling Stones, Charlottesville VA in 2005. Ah-MAZING!

JoZ
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:02 PM
Leonard Cohen, just this past November.

David Byrne, solo, probably around 1986 (??).

Violent Femmes, Throwing Muses, REM, Cranberries. All wonderful.

Biggest disappointment was New Order and Echo and the Bunnymen, both of which I adore. But the live show was meh.

Best surprise was the last-minute replacement opening act for Shawn Colvin at Woodland Park Zoo in 2003. It was an unknown named Brandi Carlile and she took everyone's breath away.

Louise
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:04 PM
I haven't been to a concert in years, but the best one I ever went to was "Alabama" in '96 at Frontier Field here in Rochester, the first year the field opened. Those guys put on a SHOW. They sang their songs, they sang other people's songs, they got the whole audience involved in singing "The Erie Canal Song." It was a beautiful, warm night, with a full moon overhead. And, just as the concert was winding down, fireworks started nearby, over the Genesee River. They stopped, and oh'd and ah'd right along with everyone else.

PaintPony
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
Best and most concerts was/were Commander Cody and the lost Planet Airmen. Always and forever the best concert/bar band. Ever.

Commander Cody taught my brother to play guitar!

Of course he has a real name, I just can't remember it. My brother took lessons from him in the 90's. And he's an excellent guitar player now. (my brother that is - of course Commander Cody is excellent as well) :D

Oh, and I wouldn't say it was the best, (I was a concert fiend in high school), but the coolest was that I got to see Hootie and the Blowfish before they were famous!

They started playing colleges and we all had their demo CD in 1994. I saw them in a free outdoor concert that year at Hampden Sydney College - which is about an hour from where I was at school. It was a very fun day!

cutter99
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:27 PM
Keith Urban at the FU Center in Philadelphia! The man is incredible with a guitar and actually a talented musician unlike so many "stars".

Riley0522
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:32 PM
Dave Matthews Band @ Fenway Park in July 2006...hands down best show I've ever seen (and I've seen him 20+ times).

Larksmom
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:38 PM
Commander Cody taught my brother to play guitar!

Of course he has a real name, I just can't remember it. My brother took lessons from him in the 90's. And he's an excellent guitar player now. (my brother that is - of course Commander Cody is excellent as well) :D

Commander Cody's real name is George Frayne. He actually played piano. Was it possibly Bill-can't remember his name guitarist. His brother who was an artist, did the covers for several of their albums.
I wore the grooves out of the live album, recorded in Austin at the 'Armadillo World Hdq' which is now where Austin City Limits is filmed I think. They taught me about rockabilly. Funny, back in the 70's they started out about the same time as Asleep at the Wheel, but AATW is much bigger now, just sort of cult like followers.

I LOVE Commander Cody!

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Paula

As if we needed another reason to be friends. LOVE them!

I had a "moment" at a Ben Harper concert that changed me.
Ani Difranco always leaves me inspired.
The Bloodhound Gang was the most insanely crazy show ever.

KateMcCall
Feb. 21, 2013, 06:46 PM
Been to a lot... I'm sure no one will recognize the names anyway.
Best ever was a band called Pendulum. Next best would probably be RX Bandits, then Incubus. going to see Infected Mushroom this weekend, that should be pretty epic

Calico
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:09 PM
Garth Brooks makes wonderful albums, if you're an album person. Not surprised he's a great show, too!

Favorite concerts is a tough question, I mean, there is entertaining, like Steve Earle telling the audience to go f ourselves :lol: Then there's the somewhat unexpected "holy shit this is a great show" (Matthew Sweet, Johnny Magnet) and then there's full-on awesome, like The Cramps and Sharon Jones. All worthy of being deemed favorite concerts :)

tarynls
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:25 PM
Bruce Springsteen, at the Meadowlands in 2001. We were on the floor, four rows from the stage, seated directly in front of Clarence. I'll never forget that night - the presence the Big Man had, and the obvious close relationship between the band... Incredible.

LexInVA
Feb. 21, 2013, 07:28 PM
I usually don't go to concerts since very little comes through the area that I like but I do go to Wolf Trap a few times a year and have seen the LOTR trilogy with the music performed by orchestra, choir, and soloists which was a pretty awesome experience. I am doing that again this year. I've also seen a James Bond music concert and Star Wars In Concert as well. Both of those were pretty nice.

two sticks
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
The entire Outside Lands festival this year was pretty epic (3 days, 5 stages in Golden Gate Park). Favorites were Dispatch (I went with some old high school friends and this was "our" high school band) and Fun. Just recently saw Fun. again the night before the Grammy's and they really put on a great show.

I saw the final show of Garth Brooks farewell tour, and it was amazing. He played 3 encores after the band left, just sitting on the edge of the stage playing his guitar and singing.

grayarabpony
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:33 PM
Ages ago now, but the 2 best concerts I've seen were REM in a small auditorium at Duke and U2 in Kenan Stadium at UNC.

yellowbritches
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:36 PM
In this order- Wilco (OMG.), Chris Isaak, and Sheryl Crow (which took me by complete surprise since I'm not nearly the fan of her as I am of the first two. But the concert was AWESOME). All at Wolftrap, which I think lends itself to incredible music experiences.

One of the coolest musical experiences I've had was Mucca Pazza at the Chicago leg of Tour de Fat this past summer. They were so cool!!! Here (http://youtu.be/ISJ_0vJaQZE) is a highly lacking idea of what they do. Same venue, a couple of years earlier. Videos don't do them justice, I'm afraid.

I would love to see Reverend Horton Heat and also Brian Setzer. Ooo...and Elvis Costello.

Outfxed
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:50 PM
Top 3 since I can't pick just one:

Beatles - Shea Stadium
Bruce Springsteen - impromptu at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ by accident & then at the Providence Civic Center in 1978
Garth Brooks - Richmond and Roanoke, VA back to back in two weeks on his farewell tour front and center watching him sweat. (faceplant faint!)

Such wonderful concert memories!

BEARCAT
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:53 PM
Keith Urban at the FU Center in Philadelphia!

There really is a place called the "FU Center???"

pixie
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
Totally jealous of outfx seeing the Beatles!!

My favorite was Heart in Boston at The Pavillion.

hunt_jumpfl
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hmm, REM and Sting were both great concerts, but the best has to go to Collective Soul in a small club :)

JackandMo
Feb. 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
The Ramones, Debbie Harry and Tom Tom Club...late 80s
Joe Satriani
George Michael
Depeche Mode and OMD
Information Society
Motley Crüe
Kenny Chesney
Brad Paisley
The Escape Club

I've seen others, but these were the best.

Hulk
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
There really is a place called the "FU Center???"

Well I was wondering that also.

up-at-5
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:17 PM
The Eagles back in the mid 70's, Hotel California tour if I remember correctly(it is hard to remember those early 70's time lines), amd Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon tour. Good shows. For the most fun, probably Van Halen back in the early days, Rod Stewart, The Kinks, Yes, Supertramp, all those big names back in the day. Never saw Led Zepplin, or the Stones, though. Most memorable was Queen. I was their number one fan, saw them numerous times...oh how I loved Roger. My friend liked Freddy, we never even suspected he was gay:lol:

Muffin
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:24 PM
I worked in the music industry, so I've seen a LOT--- to the point where I have to really, really want to see someone to go nowadays. Best one in recent memory was Elbow here in the US. My life was in flux at the time, and I almost didn't go. So glad I did!

Many of the bands mentioned bring back memories....they either played our conference room, or it was a big 'all hands on deck let's go out and see these people' type thing. Some became household names, but most didn't. They still made great music, though.

Glad I'm not in the industry anymore, but it was a blast. And, I'm even on a CD with Jimmy Page. Bizarrely, I never cared for Led Zep, but you just don't say no to that!

Angela Freda
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hands down best concert- Chaka Khan

close second was The Orchestra, the former members of ELO, played a very small local venue and it was beyond great

Resilient
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
Chris Tomlin always puts on a fantastic show.
I have to say that my favorite would be a tie between Adam Lambert and Citizen Way. Definitely drastically different but I adore them both.

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:05 PM
Asleep at the Wheel outside at Artpark--it was at the edge of the Niagara Gorge at sunset, and my friends and I slipped past the fence and hung out on a rock ledge that had a great view of the stage, at least until we got caught. (: Just a beautiful summer night and a great band to dance to--they always put on a super fun show. Oh, and free.

Also saw Chris Isaak there, which was awesome--he's such a fabulous performer. When he came through the crowd close enough for me to grope (I restrained myself), I nearly swooned. (;

Ani DiFranco in Dublin--I had just gotten there the night before, and went with a group of other people from my study abroad program. It was just fun to be in Ireland and surrounded by Irish people and see a fellow Buffalonian perform (that I had seen a few weeks earlier, carrying furniture into her house).

OP, I loved seeing Reverend Horton Heat too--I was bartending at the bar where they were playing, and it was the best night to bartend--everyone just wanted beer, and everyone tipped really well!

Saw Cake at Ommegang Brewery this past summer, which was pretty awesome--love Cake and love Ommegang beers! It was outside and we camped for the night, which would have been better had the air mattress not had a leak in it...

I can't remember who it was for sure, but I took my dad to either Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell or Joan Baez somewhere around Father's Day 2003 or so, and that was the music he got me into when I was little, and so that's one of my favourite memories since I no longer have my dad.

pony4me
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:12 PM
As far as quality of the performance and wonderful positive energy, the best concert was Crosby, Stills & Nash at the Ryman (Nashville) last November. Everything about it was perfect. As we were leaving, many people were saying the same thing.

On my short list is to see Further at Red Rocks.

Redhorse98
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:43 PM
Also saw Garth brooks at the Wynn in Vegas....amazing! Seen him when he was in his prime & that was awesome too!

Saw Jamie Johnson at house of blues.....played foe 3 straight hours!

Worst... George Jones.

chai
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:44 PM
Hands-down, it was James Taylor at Tanglewood last summer. His surprise guest was Taylor Swift. We had great seats and it was a magical evening.

SnicklefritzG
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:45 PM
Evgeny Kissin performing Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 3 with the Boston Symphony. It was so awesome, I went three times! Once to the open rehersal, opening night and closing night.

loshad
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
Pink Floyd, hands down.

U2 and Sting were also good, though.

stolen virtue
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:53 PM
Rolling Stones Cow Palace 1975, I was pretty young but hey it was the 70's. Met a nice med student who treated me well and drove me back to my hotel. I had gone with my brother and he ditched me.

We also do not get many big names where I live, but Sarah Mclachan played at our bowl and it was so great. Loved her !

dani0303
Feb. 21, 2013, 10:53 PM
These are my runners up:
Hootie and the Blowfish
The Eagles
George Strait/Reba
The Paper Tongues
Ben Folds

The BEST was hands down Bob Dylan. Saw him in October of 2010 in a smallish venue. Just him and his harmonica. There was none of that talking/joking bs. The man sounds just as amazing now as he did in 1965.

Jsalem
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:01 PM
The Eagles 2002 for my 40th birthday in Birmingham.

Trisha Yearwood at The Fox in Atlanta with an orchestra. Encores of Midnight Train to Georgia and Somewhere Over the Rainbow- pure magic.

Earth Wind and Fire with Chicago at Chastain Park in Atlanta. Dancing in the aisles.

Dazednconfused
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:05 PM
For me, Eric Clapton. Also saw the Who - they put on a really great show. And Social Distortion is always consistently awesome as well (seen them 3x).

SarahandSam
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:11 PM
Dazednconfused, I've tried to see Social D twice and both times Mike Ness got sick. ): I kinda feel like I'm running out of time on this one...

Woodsperson
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:28 PM
Emmylou Harris
Buddy Guy
Don McLean
Ray Charles

Fluffie
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
St. Louis Symphony orchestra, esp. for Carmina Burana. :applause:

TaterTotTB
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:33 PM
I saw Ringo Starr and his All Star Band this summer. It was unreal! I'm a massive Beatles fan, so I can easily say seeing him play live was one of the best experiences of my life! I also saw Denny Laine (co-founder of Wings with Paul McCartney, and was also in the Moody Blues) in a really tiny venue, and got to meet him afterwards and he signed one of my Wings records, which was really special.

Eye in the Sky
Feb. 21, 2013, 11:52 PM
ooooohhh! I almost forgot to mention Maxwell at VCU in 2002 0r 2003. He is an amazing singer as well as performer. Nice small venue, as well,

PaintPony
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:08 AM
Commander Cody's real name is George Frayne. He actually played piano. Was it possibly Bill-can't remember his name guitarist. His brother who was an artist, did the covers for several of their albums.
I wore the grooves out of the live album, recorded in Austin at the 'Armadillo World Hdq' which is now where Austin City Limits is filmed I think. They taught me about rockabilly. Funny, back in the 70's they started out about the same time as Asleep at the Wheel, but AATW is much bigger now, just sort of cult like followers.

I LOVE Commander Cody!

You're right. It was Bill Kirchen FROM Commander Cody. They were a little before my time, ;) I do remember my mom bought us one of their CDs though. She thought it was cool. :)

My brother ended up playing the drums professionally for a hard core punk band, so I'm not sure Bill had that much influence on him. :lol:

Coreene
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:14 AM
Van Halen at the Goldenwest Ballroom, before they were signed.

Wellspotted
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:27 AM
The Beatles, Atlanta Stadium, 1965.

No other can compare.

I have met only two other people in my life who ever saw the Fab Four in concert.

Natalie A
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:39 AM
I've seen a few great performers with the San Francisco Symphony in the last few years (Bernadette Peters, Idina Menzel, Audra McDonald...) Davies Symphony Hall is just an incredible venue and they're always stunning.

I was lucky enough to see Marvin Hamlisch conduct the NY Pops a few years ago, I'm so grateful to have that memory now.

Bluey
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:47 AM
One of the best, Mozart's Don Giovanni in La Scala, Milan, Italy in the mid 1960's.

Flashy Gray VA
Feb. 22, 2013, 04:28 AM
Tough question!

It's got to be METALLICA over the years. Amazing band!

leaf
Feb. 22, 2013, 06:58 AM
Bruuuuce Springsteen.

WaningMoon
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:36 AM
Pink Floyd. 1977 Animals tour. First concert held in the olympic stadium stadium in Montreal. Before the dome was built. There were huge pigs and things floating into the stadium through the open top. There were 90,000 ppl and most were there a couple days ahead. Tents popped up all over.

DownYonder
Feb. 22, 2013, 07:39 AM
My best friend's oldest brother was a DJ at one of Florida's top rock stations during the 60's. We got passes to lots of shows, so I was lucky enough to see many legendary rockers from that time period - The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Hollies, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Buffalo Springfield, Jefferson Airplane (long before they became Jefferson Starship), The Doors, Ten Years After, Led Zeppelin, etc. We often got backstage passes, and/or were invited to parties before/after the shows, so we also got to meet many of those folks. It was fun and glorious for a starry eyed young teeny bopper, but I got pretty freaked out by the free wheelin' use of drugs and alcohol, not to mention was tired of being constantly hit on by stoned or trippin' or drunk guys (thankfully Pat kept us under his protection, so things never really got out of hand). I quit going to the concerts after a few years - was just basically burned out and turned off by the whole scene. I did get talked into going to the 2nd Atlanta Pop Festival - Jimi Hendrix, Allman Brothers, Procol Harum, Grand Funk Railroad, Ten Years After, Johnny Winter, BB King and Ravi Shankar - that was pretty cool! I also got to see The Allman Brothers play at Piedmont Park back in the day, and saw Queen several times here or there.

There were lots of memorable concerts, but the one who really stands out in my mind was Jimi Hendrix. That guy was surreal.

Fred
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:52 AM
Bruce at the Meadowlands in '84, the Born In The USA tour, when he was cute and ripped - we Jersey girls swooned!

Bruce in Toronto, 1978? The Darkness on the Edge of Town tour.
It was the first time I had seen Bruce - he was incredible, the whole show was incredible - so much energy, so much emotion.
This was before he was all cleaned up and muscled up, skinny, kind of grungy, but just great.
I have seen him a number of times since, and he is still great. Such a great writer, musician, performer.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuucce. ;)

Fred
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:56 AM
I saw Jimi Hendrix too, I can't remember what year it was, 1967??
The Doors
Jefferson Airplane
Lots of concerts over the years.

Fred
Feb. 22, 2013, 08:59 AM
Van Halen at the Goldenwest Ballroom, before they were signed.

<cough> isn't there more of a story here, Coreene? ;)
or am I making things up about your life?

Fred
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:01 AM
The Beatles, Atlanta Stadium, 1965.

No other can compare.

I have met only two other people in my life who ever saw the Fab Four in concert.

I wish, wellspotted, I wish.

Fred
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:14 AM
I saw BRUCE as a youngster....at a GYM at Georgetown....we were fans from the BEGINNING.
But, years later....living outside DC, I lived a dream of a local DC radio station's promo. They offered a big promotion call in, flights included of airfare, tickets, the whole shibang. My husband was overseas at the time the radio call came in, (yes, I have the tape of my reaction) telling me I'd WON........we were off to Paris France...to see Bruce and the E street band outdoors in a gorgeous park, HUGE full moon.....................we flew out of Dulles, stayed in Paris, went on the Baton Mouche, did the Lourve, did all the cafes, had a BALL....but saw Bruce amidst so many Parisians singing phonetically and loving the man, the band, and the music. WHAT a moment. One of my favorites from the night: Cadillac Ranch. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIomLMfAli8

here's the amazing Thunder Road...from the same show showing the park, the crowd I was out there among that night.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLsE-HufG8

What a great memory!
and Thunder Road, one of my favourite Bruce songs.
Here he is, little and skinny....
"you ain't a beauty, but, hey, who is?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KngiJUNdsu0

love him.

islgrl
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:20 AM
I would say my three favorites were the Dead in '82 (which was also my first concert, in 9th grade, thanks mom & dad) Stevie Ray Vaugh as part of a bluesfest was AMAZING and the benefit concert that put James Taylor and Carly Simon on stage together for the first (and last) time in a million years...

Louise
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
I saw Jimi Hendrix too, I can't remember what year it was, 1967??
The Doors
Jefferson Airplane
Lots of concerts over the years.

I saw Jefferson Airplane when I was in college. It wasn't that great a concert because Gracie was so stoned she could hardly sing a note.

Sannois
Feb. 22, 2013, 09:57 AM
QUEEN 1980, When Freddie was still alive! Wings Stadium Kalamazoo, Michigan:D

Auburn
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have seen The Buckinghams, Neil Diamond, ZZ Top, John Mellencamp, Fleetwood Mac, 3 Dog Night, Phil Collins, Bruce aka "The Boss" at his final concert of his "Born in the USA" tour, at the Meadowlands in '86, Charlie Daniels Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Sam Bush and Mark Knoppler.

My favorites: Mark Knoppler, Phil Collins, Sam Bush, CDB, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Bruce. Those folks know how to play to the audience and know how to put on a great concert.

I love Fleetwood Mac's records, but they were too rock n roll, loud in concert. My DH loved them!

How do you know when you have outgrown going to rock n roll concerts? When you have to search through your purse to find earplugs to block out the noise! :winkgrin:

yellowbritches
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:44 AM
Also saw Chris Isaak there, which was awesome--he's such a fabulous performer. When he came through the crowd close enough for me to grope (I restrained myself), I nearly swooned. (;

Yeah. Been there. He passed through the row in front of my the second time I saw him. I could have reached out and touched his shiny jacket if I'd wanted to be THAT fan. Great, great performer, and really knows how to play up the crowd. He's especially fun at Wolftrap since he walks around, and will go out into the lawn seating.

I'm so jealous of those who got to see Queen. How cool.

carolprudm
Feb. 22, 2013, 10:52 AM
I don't go to concerts but I would SERIOUSLY have loved to see Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park

Meshach
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
U2. love them!

1985 I was in 10th grade. Unforgettable Fire Tour, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island NY. It was the first big arena tour for them I think but not wide spread popularity so it felt intimate. An Irish flag was passed up from the back and Bono wore it around his shoulders . I believe it was "40" during the encore and the whole audience was still singing it when the lights came on before everyone filed out. love.

also

1987 12th grade, Joshua Tree Tour Giants Stadium NJ.

couple of years ago much older now :), can't remember tour name but at Carter Finley Stadium Raleigh NC. My palms were bruised from clapping so much.

Bluey
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
I have been wondering about the title of this thread.
Guess that in many concerts, people are "seeing" more than "hearing" as an experience.:yes:

SarahandSam
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
I don't go to concerts but I would SERIOUSLY have loved to see Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park

That's one of my fave albums; my dad had it when I was little... I remember not getting the joke about everybody smoking pot, and asking my dad to explain it to me...

Coyoteco
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
My daughter and I flew to Budapest jut for a Queen plus Paul Rogers concert in 2008. We waited outside all day and did the rush the stage thing - it was all great. I've liked a lot of concerts - small venues are great, too. Went to see The Who last week and then the following day little brother Simon Townshend did a concert at a tiny,tiny venue in Denver. Both were cool. I remember a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert with an opening act of Charlie Daniels when I was in high school and that was cool. We drove to Dallas for the original Crossroads Guitar concert (Eric Clapton's thing) and that was great. I've seen a lot of rock concerts and a lot of great names - a lot of them stand out in one way or another. Queen in Hungary, though, was a really cool few days.

Coyoteco
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:11 PM
Bruce Springsteen at Red Rocks Park, Colorado. It was summer, I was 21 and was there with a big group of friends. It started raining and we all huddled under a big piece of plastic. Could barely see Bruce but we heard it all and it was great.

Runner up was The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet at MSG.

Anything at Red Rocks is great - Ringo Starr (also saw him at at tiny venue) Gogol Bordelo/Primus were the most recent except Romney/Ryan lol.

Coyoteco
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
Volbeat!!

Primus at Red Rocks was a blast too!

And of course, the few Grateful Dead concerts I saw (although those are a bit of a blur.) New Year's show in particular.

Pink Floyd is up there.

LOL I was there at the Primus/Gogol Bordelo concert with my son and daughter and a bunch of high school boys. My family went for Gogol Bordelo but others were there for Primus - both were great. That was fun! lol

Larksmom
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
When it becomes to expensive/too much trouble/too hot to go...:no: I think the last big one I went to was Tom Petty. I actually drove 50 miles across town to get in line to buy tickets early in the morning. When they started selling, I was about 15 or so in line, and I could get nothing in the front section. :mad: That was due to them selling equally on the phone and online-not fair! If you have the gumption to get up and go get em, I think you should have at least a half hour or so advantage.
Anyway, the last time T Petty was in town the good tickets were around $150-200. a ticket. I am glad I cannot afford them. I would be crazy to pay that much. That proves I am old!

Edited to add another one I forgot: T-Rex with an opening act of The Doobie Brothers.:cry:

carolprudm
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:16 PM
That's one of my fave albums; my dad had it when I was little... I remember not getting the joke about everybody smoking pot, and asking my dad to explain it to me...
AHHHH yes, the sellers of loose joints....

two sticks
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:17 PM

Saw them at the Staples center and they were great! Another one of my favorite shows.

Rubyfree
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:20 PM
I've been to a lot of shows... lots of contenders.

Neko Case was incredible. It was awesome to realize that she sounds exactly the same live as she does recorded. Incredible voice.

Best concert going experience was at Warped Tour in Buffalo a couple of hundred years ago... Bad Religion was playing one of the last sets, went on late, it had been POURING all day. The place (Lasalle Park) was a disaster. The crowd was maintaining order but tired and grumpy and cold.... when BR finally managed to take the stage, their first full song was "Sorrow", and just as they hit the chorus, just as Greg started belting out "And there will be sorrow no moooooooorrrreeee.....", the rain broke and the sun swept across the lake and across the crowd, the crowd started waking up again and started screaming along. and it was all just AWESOME. Truly epic moment.

The Pixies & Social D both put on excellent, workmanlike shows and were longtime "bucket list" concerts.

Coyoteco
Feb. 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
When it becomes to expensive/too much trouble/too hot to go...:no: I think the last big one I went to was Tom Petty. I actually drove 50 miles across town to get in line to buy tickets early in the morning. When they started selling, I was about 15 or so in line, and I could get nothing in the front section. :mad: That was due to them selling equally on the phone and online-not fair! If you have the gumption to get up and go get em, I think you should have at least a half hour or so advantage.
Anyway, the last time T Petty was in town the good tickets were around $150-200. a ticket. I am glad I cannot afford them. I would be crazy to pay that much. That proves I am old!

Edited to add another one I forgot: T-Rex with an opening act of The Doobie Brothers.:cry:

LOL I saw Eric Burden and War along with a ton of others about eight or nine years ago. On Burden's website a lot of people were complaining about not having sufficient seating because they were in their 50's. He played for a long, long time because one of the acts didn't show up - and he was, of course, great.

suze
Feb. 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
The Cleveland orchestra when George Szell was still conductor. Beethoven's 9th at Blossom Center near Akron Ohio. Don't remember what other pieces, but great concert.

Dazednconfused
Feb. 22, 2013, 05:00 PM
Dazednconfused, I've tried to see Social D twice and both times Mike Ness got sick. ): I kinda feel like I'm running out of time on this one...

They're so good. I really recommend seeing them. They seem to really enjoy performing and play all out. The people watching is unparalleled too...SoCal rockabilly country punk tends to do that I guess!

War Admiral
Feb. 23, 2013, 08:44 AM
I worked in the industry too so I've seen a LOT. I sort of divide my "bests" into several categories: the ones where it was cool to be there b/c you knew this band was going to be HUGE some day (seeing the Cars and R.E.M. at the Rat in Boston, Patti Smith at the Jazz Workshop, the B-52s at Max's Kansas City in NY); the gigs where you knew the band was never going to have "name recognition" but they set the bar SO high on artistic merit (Suicide, the Fast), and the ones I went to b/c I just plain wanted to go and knew it would be great and it was (Todd Rundgren on the Wizard tour, triple Paisley Underground bill of the Rain Parade, Let's Active, and the 3 O'Clock). Most recently, the Rain Parade recently reformed for a one-off benefit gig in Atlanta that I drove down for and it was fabulous.

Rivendellhorses
Feb. 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
BigBang (Korean band) is the most recent one and they put on one hell of a show. :)

HIM (Finish band) Seen them 7 times and they never disappoint..

Monty Are I ..band from RI, i think i saw them 3 or 4 times..i believe they are on hiatus now, but they were so full of life/energy on stage.

Sick Puppies, Blink182, Greenday, were always good

Apocalyptica (Finnish band)..3 hot guys and their cellos, one awesome drummer, and just awesome music. And they are super nice!

It's been a whle since i have been to a lot of concerts, as i'm saving up for vacation..and b/c i'm hoping to see GDragon (Korean singer/rapper from the band Bigbang) and Super Junior (Korean pop group), if they come to the states for their tours..we shall see.. :)

suze
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:09 PM
One of the best, Mozart's Don Giovanni in La Scala, Milan, Italy in the mid 1960's.

Jealous! Although I have seen Don Giovanni at the San Diego Opera. But to see it in Milan! :)

suze
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
Saw Carmen Burana in Seattle a couple of years ago - wonderful! And a bunch of years before that saw Pearl Jam in Seattle. It was more fun watching the stuff going on at floor level; had to go down & wander around a little. Saw Garth Brooks when he was opening for the Judds at NAS Miramar many moons ago . . . (Yeah, I know it's now a Marine base but it was Navy then.)

Eye in the Sky
Feb. 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
U2. love them!

1985 I was in 10th grade. Unforgettable Fire Tour, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island NY. It was the first big arena tour for them I think but not wide spread popularity so it felt intimate. An Irish flag was passed up from the back and Bono wore it around his shoulders . I believe it was "40" during the encore and the whole audience was still singing it when the lights came on before everyone filed out. love.

also

1987 12th grade, Joshua Tree Tour Giants Stadium NJ.

couple of years ago much older now :), can't remember tour name but at Carter Finley Stadium Raleigh NC. My palms were bruised from clapping so much.

I think we were at the same concert a few years ago at CFS! It was the 360 tour with MUSE. BEST.CONCERT.EVER!!!!