PDA

View Full Version : I think we may all need a hug...

Moderator 1
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:24 PM
...from each other to reaffirm that the world isn't completely depraved, after hearing the absolutely heartbreaking news coming out of Connecticut.

We're opening the OT forum so folks have a place to talk and try to deal with this horrible news.

Our hearts go out to the families affected...who isn't? :cry:

Mod 1

SaturdayNightLive
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Mod 1. I'm definitely in need of a hug. What is this world coming to?

carolprudm
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you.

supershorty628
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
I am so, so horrified by this. The bastard was wearing a bulletproof vest, too. What kind of deranged person goes into a school and opens fire on little kids?

My thoughts are with all the affected families of the children and adults who died. :cry:

Ace
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
OMG. I have friends in that area. A friend reports one gunman is dead, but a second one is at large. Twenty-five dead. From initial reports, sounds like mostly children killed. Makes me weep for humanity. I just don't understand.

showidaho
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
This is a terrible tragedy. There are no words.

Carol Ames
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
My sadness is turning into RAGE1
OMG. I have friends in that area. A friend reports one gunman is dead, but a second one is at large. Twenty-five dead. From initial reports, sounds like mostly children killed. Makes me weep for humanity. I just don't understand.

EquineLVR
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
I am just numb over this.. its beyond comprehension. this was a K-4 school.. my heart breaks for all those children and their parents..

Terrible, horrible, senseless tragedy..

Praying for them all..

Superminion
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
As a mother, I cannot imagine. My thoughts and prayers are with those families in the difficult days ahead.

Event4Life
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Prayers & thoughts to all involved....

There really are no words.

War Admiral
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thinking of all those empty beds at Christmas. Candle lit, prayer said for all the families and children. :cry:

oliverreed
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
Oh God, how senseless. 26 dead, 18 of them little children.

Carol Ames
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
NRA members,/ supporters :mad: tell me again please, why anyone would need semiautomatic weapons; Was Newtown under imminent:cry::sadsmile: threat of invasion?

kookicat
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Just heard about it on the news. I cried. What a sick, vile thing to do. What the hell is wrong with people?!

EquineLVR
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thinking of all those empty beds at Christmas. Candle lit, prayer said for all the families and children. :cry:

oh Lord.. makes my heart hurt.

Mayaty02
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
thank you, definitely need a hug... and one for my 4th graders who come home in an hour and will have to learn about this.

Calena
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
:cry::cry::cry: A school for K-4 grades and the gunmen were wearing bulletproof vests.

I have a 9YO grandson. I. . . just . . . can't . . . fathom the brutality of the gunmen.

I don't know what's causing these shootings, but it's getting worse, not better.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
Thank you Mods.

It is just incomprehensible. There are no words.

Alternative1
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
What kind of *&(&^*&*$# up idiot would do this at a K-4 elementary school :confused: Horrible, just horrible and so very sad. I feel for the families.:(

Crockpot
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks mod. 1.

Similar tragedy in China today.

Very Sad.

kasjordan
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
There are just no words.
There will be many, many kids hugged tonight. Prayers for the ones that can't be.

Paige777
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you, mods.

I never, ever cry at the news. Never have before (I'm 26). I don't have TV, but in just reading the reports online, I've cried 4 times today so far.

I cannot fathom it at all.

SmartAlex
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Get back from running errands to find this tragic news. :confused:

spotteddrafter
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks Mod 1.

My heart is breaking for the families and children in that area. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain they must be in. As mother of a second grade child, this hits a little too close to home.

jess h
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thank you, mods. I'm in CT and have been glued to the news. Just came over here to COTH, needing a respite, and am grateful for the OT forum.

BigBayHanoMare
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

I didn't even think of that. My heart breaks even more now. :no:

IdahoRider
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
Heartsick. My thoughts go out to the families and friends of those who have been lost, to the students and faculty of the school, their families and to the first responders who walked into a scene of unimaginable heartbreak.

What a senseless, senseless tragedy.
Sheilah

EquineLVR
Thanks Mod 1.

My heart is breaking for the families and children in that area. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain they must be in. As mother of a second grade child, this hits a little too close to home.

I have a first grader and a fourth grader so it does hit too close to home for me too..

shiningwizard255
Holy cow. This is the first I have heard about this. What a crying shame. Crazy world we live in anymore.

spotteddrafter
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:04 PM

Oh my gosh. :cry:

pompeiii
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
I just can't process any of this right now. We're talking about an elementary school, kindergarteners... I'm saddened and horrified about all of this. When I first heard this morning, things sounded "hopeful" with 3 people taken away by ambulance... I come back a couple hours later and suddenly were talking about 26-27 people dead, 18 children...

Thoughts are with the families of everyone involved.

spacytracy
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Thank you Mod 1.

When people say that kids are bubble-wrapped these days, scary stuff like this is why.

Makes you scared to send your children to school.

AirForceWife
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:23 PM
I can't even imagine this. My son is only 2 now and we were thinking about having our second...it seems we can't be safe anywhere now, makes me reconsider bringing another child to this world...

RolyPolyPony
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
Thank you, mods. My friend's daughters go to the school - they're ok, thank God. But this is all so hard to process and I'm pretty much alone here at work. I needed this thread.

Event4Life
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
http://www.pbs.org/parents/talkingwithkids/news/talking.html this came up on facebook and I thought it might help people with kids wondering how to approach them with or answer questions about stuff like this. I've just scanned it, but it has some helpful points for me too (as a hopeful future middle school teacher).

shiningwizard255
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:37 PM
Thank you, mods. My friend's daughters go to the school - they're ok, thank God. But this is all so hard to process and I'm pretty much alone here at work. I needed this thread.

Wow - sorry they had to go through that and so glad they are ok.

m&m
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you, Moderator.

It is truly impossible to even begin to fathom the "Why?" No matter how sick and deranged someone may be, where, where, where is the "appeal" in this? There are easier ways to commit suicide by cop, that don't involve innocents.

My prayers, as insufficient as they are, are with all those impacted. I cannot even imagine trying to raise a happy, confident child if it was one of the survivors of this horror.

dbtoo
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
Thank you mods. I just knew COTH would be there for us.

And there really really are no words.

bludejavu
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to talk here today Mods. Hugs to you too and anyone who needs one. My first reaction was to feel sick, then I felt rage at who did this. After following and reading news reports for a few hours, I've decided rage is a waste of time and only rewarding to the perpetrators who committed this unspeakable crime. So I'm going to finish my day saying prayers for those who have lost their children and family members.

I also just read that this was an attack on the shooter's mother who was a teacher in one of the kindergarten classes. He killed her and many of the children too. What kind of anger does this to someone? I hope to never know that kind of anger either personally or from someone I know.

monstrpony
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
I just feel empty. Cannot get my mind around this.

EquineLVR
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
There are some reports now that he also killed his father..

CVPeg
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks for opening this - how I found out and knew to turn on the news. Trying to rack my brain as someone just recently mentioned that so and so was from Newtown. So unbelievably sad.

sparky6
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Thank you, Mods. My heart aches for the children and parents. Hugging my son extra tight today.

Canaqua
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
Thank you. Tried to call my husband to talk about it after I heard it on the radio and he said he did NOT want to know, someone at work had warned him not to watch the news.

Lots of hugs for everyone.

aspenlucas
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
I've not been around for a while, but figured you may open up OT day and knew it would be a good place to go for some support.

Chester's Mom
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thank you Mod 1. I came to COTH thinking there would be a thread on Off Course at least for awhile ... this is better. I am shell shocked. How could anyone shoot small children, no matter how angry/crazy/depressed they are? :cry::cry:

My prayers are with all affected and especially the children who lived through the attacks. May they and their families find some peace in the days and weeks ahead.

gabby.gator
Dec. 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
I'm in CT, have been sitting here all day, shaking, chills, goosebumps, I feel much the way I did on 9-11, when I WAS working at school.

my granddaughter is in kindergarten, it was everything I could do to not go across the street and get her just so I could hold her .

this is just unfathomable!

Anne FS
Dec. 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thank for providing this today.

These things are happening every day, sadly, but this? this? 5 year olds? I can't wrap my head around anyone wiping out an entire class full of little FIVE YEAR OLD KIDS.

2ndyrgal
Dec. 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
for that kind of disregard for innocent human lives.

If there isn't a special place in hell for someone like the shooter, there should be.

It's not about the guns people. The bad people will always find a way to get them. Prohibition didn't keep people from drinking anymore than laws will keep the guns out of the wrong hands. You'd be better off to give everyone a gun.

In our county (KY) at least 4 young men breaking into the homes of elderly people have been shot and killed by the homeowners, the other few, well, they just followed the blood trails til they found the guys and cuffed and stuffed them.

Seems like lately, there aren't any home break ins in our neck of the woods.

There isn't anyplace that is safe any longer. Do I understand someone being derranged enough to shoot a parent or an ex spouse or a lover, or even a bad boss that fired you and your perception is your life is ruined? No, but at least you can sort of understand the anger.

But to shoot little, tiny children? Who does that?

Crackerdog
Dec. 14, 2012, 04:07 PM
I just heard about this on the news. What a horrible, horrible tragedy for all those involved. My heart goes out to them.

ybiaw
Dec. 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
I just started and stopped and started typing again about 5 times. I can't even get words out.

How do we, as adults, explain this to our children?

Griffyn
Dec. 14, 2012, 04:57 PM
I didnt even hear of this until I got to work this afternoon. I am sickened and sad. The President misting up sent me over the edge as I was just learning what was going on. The brave teachers who helped try to protect children are heros. Prayers for all the first responders, teachers, other children that were witness to the darkest side of humanity as well as to the families directly affected.

Bluey
Dec. 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
I just started and stopped and started typing again about 5 times. I can't even get words out.

How do we, as adults, explain this to our children?

Tell them the truth, that some people just go crazy and do crazy things, some of them horrible like this here.

PonyPeep
Dec. 14, 2012, 05:28 PM
I started shaking when I found out. I am going to go home and hug my mom really, really tight.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
My vet's step-mom was the principal in that school, and is among the confirmed dead.

Violence is senseless no matter who it is committed against, and who commits it.

Heartbreaking.

Chief2
Dec. 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
I don't understand the whole thing. It was just released that the shooter's mother was murdered at home, he took her car, drove it to the school and then it all went down. In this light, this whole business at the school, especially what went down in the kindergarten, makes no sense at all. There are no words. A lot of pain, confusion and shock, but no understanding. We hear there is a vigil tonight at the Washington monument. That is a comfort for folks I think.

flowersmom2
Dec. 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
Spent the day being frustrated with my Kindergardeners because they couldn't settle. Now I want to just hug them all.

MunchingonHay
Dec. 14, 2012, 06:33 PM
This thought kills me.

Thinking of all those empty beds at Christmas. . :cry:

IveGotRhythm
Dec. 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
Thank you mods, thank you.

I spent the morning helping our schools Kindergarteners (and first and second graders) excitedly shop for gifts at our schools Holiday Shop. It was so sweet.

And then came home to this news. I've never been so shaken. I couldn't sit in this house anymore so I went back to the school and stayed at the Holiday shop just to be in the same building with my son.

I'm devastated for the families of all the victims and all the children in the school who had to go through this. My thoughts and prayers to all of them.

Thoughts and prayers also to the first responders on the scene. I can't imagine walking into that and not being haunted for the rest of your life.

SmartAlex
Dec. 14, 2012, 06:41 PM
I was thinking of empty beds, and unopened Christmas presents under the tree too.

We were looking forward to going the Hobbit this weekend, and now this has reminded me of the Batman movie shooting. You just aren't safe anywhere these days. The Mall. Your Elementary school. The Movie Theater. This is almost as bad as realizing that you can die in a plane crash while sitting at your desk in your office.

Most Americans grow up feeling an almost invinceable sense of security. Horrible things happen in far away countries. Not any more. The past 15-20 years with Colombine, the DC sniper, 9/11... Things have changed around here.

bludejavu
Dec. 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
I was thinking of empty beds, and unopened Christmas presents under the tree too.

We were looking forward to going the Hobbit this weekend, and now this has reminded me of the Batman movie shooting. You just aren't safe anywhere these days. The Mall. Your Elementary school. The Movie Theater. This is almost as bad as realizing that you can die in a plane crash while sitting at your desk in your office.

Most Americans grow up feeling an almost invinceable sense of security. Horrible things happen in far away countries. Not any more. The past 15-20 years with Colombine, the DC sniper, 9/11... Things have changed around here.

I know how you feel S.A. - so many of my friends were afraid to go to movies after the theater shooting spree. I just won't be intimidated though and I think you should go see your movie. The day the terrorists (whether they're the ones within the country or out of the country) make us fearful to leave our homes is the day they win.

SmartAlex
Dec. 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
We will go, but we will be mindful.

Muffin
Dec. 14, 2012, 07:51 PM
My vet's step-mom was the principal in that school, and is among the confirmed dead.

Violence is senseless no matter who it is committed against, and who commits it.

Heartbreaking.

How horrible. How unspeakably horrible for everyone. I don't have kids, but kissed my animals more than usual tonight.

My heart hurts for all involved.

MMacallister
Dec. 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
I can't imagine the parents pain, or the loved ones of the adults. This is sickening.
As far as the gun debate I will just repeat my husbands sentiment "Guys like me carry guns because of guys like them" I don't think this should be about guns though. I think it should be about the shock and sadness we all feel for families we have never met.

Judysmom
Dec. 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
I am having such a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Had to turn off the news. So very, very sad.

Jingles for all affected by this tragedy.

happymom
Dec. 14, 2012, 09:24 PM
This has been so very difficult to deal with and I find something as simple as opening the forum for discussion a very positive thing. It provides us with a safe place to commiserate. Thanks.

Griffyn
Dec. 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
Yes, Happymom. CNN has allready started with the gun control debates, and motives and all that. Im still reeling from the senselessness of it all. This thread is a quiet place to sort it out, and I hope it stays this way. Still grappling with the enormity of this. And Im turning off the talking heads

spurgirl
Dec. 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
I live in CT, and the story unfolded as we were setting up for work at the restaurant where I work...We are a small town here, we all know each other, as in Newtown. As the story unfolded, it was just...horrible. Very quiet day, just heartbreaking...

What the h*ll is happening to our young people? That shooting strangers-and children for God's sake, is an "answer", or a "statement"??

dreaminOTTB
Dec. 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you for opening the forum. I am a teacher, I've experienced lockdowns, but none of this makes any sense to me. I feel so much grief for those in Newtown, CT and can only pray that the messages of support from all over the country offers them some measure of comfort tonight.

Slewdledo
Dec. 15, 2012, 03:44 AM
Unimaginable. Tonight, I put a candle on the porch for the first time in over 11 years.

I had seen the initial report, three shot...I was the first person in my office to see the horrific update later on. Coworkers asked what was wrong and I couldn't even speak. One of them said she thought I was going to faint. I felt physically ill. All day, the image in my head was 20 headstones reading 2007-2012.How do you go on as a parent? Especially when you have other children? Or you don't have any other children? My god.

And I don't have kids. How can we surround these people and that community and each other with love?

I will be one of the ones marching in the streets demanding the return of sanity in order to preserve what's left of our humanity. Enough is enough - we are ready to work hard and get past this garbage. Enough is enough.

WB Mom
Dec. 15, 2012, 06:41 AM
I cried and cried and felt physically ill yesterday. I cannot even wrap my mind around why this happened. As a parent, this is worse than your worst nightmare - EVER. I think about the parents waiting for their children in the chaos and then realizing their child won't be coming out. I can't even imagine what they went through. I am also concerned for the first responders/police, etc. I know they have children and even though it's your job, that horrific scene might have been more than some of them could handle. I hope they ask for help if they need it!
I maintain this is not about gun control. It's about taking responsibility for family members when they need help. Taking away guns will not fix this. We have to care enough to fix people, where something like this all begins.
Remember to say prayers come Monday morning for all the students who will go back to school. This will be a stressful time for everyone.

Gray Horse H/J
Dec. 15, 2012, 11:30 AM
There really are no words for this tragedy. Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it.

Every time I think about all those kids - not just the ones who were lost, but every kid who had to be there for that - and how terrifying that must have been, I just start to cry. I do not have kids, but I have a 2 yr old niece, a 4 year yr old nephew, and a 6 yr old nephew that I love to pieces, and I instantly think of them when I think about this. It makes my stomach hurt.

My sister-in-law said my oldest nephew came home from kindergarten a few weeks ago and told her that they had learned in school that day what to do if someone comes in with a gun. It makes me so sick and angry that kids as young as 5 have to learn what to do in that situation.

Kryswyn
Dec. 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you CoTH.

Wellspotted
Dec. 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
The same kind who went in and opened fire on little Amish kids.

Thanks, Mods, I definitely need a hug today, from every COTHer in the world.

J-Lu
Dec. 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
There are no words....

5-10 year olds? Innocent people who devoted their lives to kids?

THere are no words...

JeanM
Dec. 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
I've been single & childless and have never had the maternal drive, so I've never been one to be "mushy" over children... but yesterday as I was running errands after work, I found myself cherishing every little kid I saw and hoped that the adult with them was, too.

I was shocked to learn that schools now are doing drills for this sort of thing. :eek::no: Whatever has happened to our society that this was ever thought to be needed, and now has been proved to indeed, BE needed?!

I was channel-hopping last night because I couldn't break away from the coverage. The local channels, and then the national cable ones...and I found the latter to be absolutely disgusting in the way they gleefully probed into the pain. :mad:

supershorty628
Dec. 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
I remember doing drills for things like that when I was in middle and high school.

JeanM, the last paragraph you wrote made me think of this statement that was published online earlier today: I'm from Newtown and I have something to say to the world (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/14w7lf/im_from_newtown_and_i_have_something_to_say_to/)

Calamber
Dec. 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
The anger and horror should be directed at finding a solution for this kind of seemingly unrelenting nightmare of death, from the wars on down to the creation of serial killers by video games (anyone see that the gunman was a Goth "follower") and that they used to have LAN network video game parties at the house? Anyone know how many of these kinds of multiple killings deaths are related to violent video games? There is a book written called, "On Killing", written by David Grossman, LT. Col. USA retired. Exposes a great deal of this in detail. Worth reading as horrifying and frightening as it is, there are those who are trying to do this to us as a civilization. We must stop them or this will continue. We are in a Dark Age right now, that is for sure and we must face it and pull ourselves out of it.

MyssMyst
Dec. 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
I was shocked to learn that schools now are doing drills for this sort of thing. :eek::no: Whatever has happened to our society that this was ever thought to be needed, and now has been proved to indeed, BE needed?!

I remember Columbine. I was in Jr High at the time. For WEEKS afterward, shooter drills were the norm (several times a week for a pretty decent time). In the days after the shooting, every single class I was in covered the procedures for their particular classroom if there was a shooter. I could count on at least two shooter drills each year, clear through my senior year in high school. And this was in a blasted quiet, close-knit little town. Granted, through my last two years of high school we did have both a bomb threat and Anthrax scare, so the drills did eventually pay off. Even in CA, we had more shooter drills than earthquake/fire drills.

MoonoverMississippi
Dec. 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
What makes a person do this?
I cannot imagine what those families are going through.

Prayers to those affected, and hugs to everyone

Griffyn
Dec. 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
the names and pictures of the children and teachers are starting to roll in. I want to turn away, and yet somehow feel like I need to know them. Remember them instead of the perpetrator.

jetjocky
Dec. 16, 2012, 06:07 AM
Amen.

Prayers & thoughts to all involved....

There really are no words.

Goaliemom
Dec. 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
it is just so sad. thanks for the hug

JGHIRETIRE
Dec. 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thank you for the hug. I started watching on Friday and just couldn't stop crying.

JeanM
Dec. 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
I remember doing drills for things like that when I was in middle and high school.

JeanM, the last paragraph you wrote made me think of this statement that was published online earlier today: I'm from Newtown and I have something to say to the world (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/14w7lf/im_from_newtown_and_i_have_something_to_say_to/)

People need to read that person's comments. Seriously.

So now I see on Facebook that some wackaloon "church" plans to come and protest at the funerals, as they like to do at funerals for our military heroes who died overseas serving their country... really???

And today at a memorial at the church in Newtown, some a-hole thought it would be, what, funny? exciting?, to call in a threat to the church so it had to be evacuated during the service. Really??

I remember back when I was babysitting, and feeling a bit envious of the kids because they would get to see that much more of the wonderful future than I would. Now, I am envious of my dear 86 year old friend because she will escape this quagmire that our society has become so much sooner than I will be able to. And heaven help the generations that are younger than mine.

quietann
Dec. 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
The media coverage is getting to me, too. I don't have TV at home and have not since I went to college. But now I have Facebook, and websites, and and and. 9/11 was far more of a threat and a catastrophe, as well as personally closer to home (e.g. I had many friends working at Akamai, which lost one of its founders that day, and I started grad school that very day.) But I wasn't as "connected" via social media; I avoided the TVs at school and in fact didn't see any video coverage at all for months. My only connection to Newtown is that it's where my horse had her suspensory surgery in 2010.

I had to leave work early on Friday because my coworkers were all talking about Newtown and I just couldn't join the conversation, or listen. Now I am worried they will think that I don't care. Dreading work tomorrow....

Canaqua
Dec. 17, 2012, 07:02 AM
I had to leave work early on Friday because my coworkers were all talking about Newtown and I just couldn't join the conversation, or listen. Now I am worried they will think that I don't care. Dreading work tomorrow....

I think it is fine to just say that you cannot, or are not ready to, talk about it. I was fortunate in that I was working from home on Friday, but my husband was at work and he did tell his coworkers that he did not want to discuss it, as it was upsetting to him to do so. Everyone deals with emotionally disturbing news and grief in different ways, some people like to talk/talk/talk, others like to process it quietly. If anyone thought you didn't care because you don't want to discuss it, I'd say they might be a bit lacking in empathy themselves.

SmartAlex
Dec. 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
I watched Good Morning America, but thus far, I have not mustered the resolve to go on Facebook or turn on the radio. This all takes just another little piece of us.

I couldn't care less what that wackaloon's name was (still don't know it) or how messed up he was or why he may have done what he did. All I want to hear are the names and stories of the heros.

You know, growing up we were taught to fear the communists and terrorists etc, but they are not the real danger.

"We have met the enemy... and he is us"
~ Pogo

morgansnmind
Dec. 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
A little horseback rider. http://abcnews.go.com/US/newtown-shooting-couple-vow-live-dead-daughter-jessica/story?id=17996306

I need to get off the comptuer. This stuff has me bawling. Going to go hug my little ones (1yrs, almost 4 DD, almost 6DS).

Hinderella
Dec. 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
After a tragedy like this, we often wonder, what can we do, as individuals? The only thing that I can think of is kindness. When that car wants to pull out onto the busy roadway, let them. When someone behind you has a few items more than you do, let them check out first anyway. When you put your moeny in the Salvation Army kettle, stop and smile at the bell ringer. Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in line.
And just maybe...that one act of kindness...will be the one thing that stops a spiral of rage in a mentally ill person...and save a life.

SmartAlex
Dec. 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, nice matters.

And just a week or so ago, with that nurse in the British hospital that got the prank phone call from the New Zealand disc jockeys... It may have seemed like a harmless joke, but you never know when it is going to escalate and push someone over the edge. That was such a shame.

Hinderella
Dec. 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
SmartAlex, you're right. So much of today's "entertainment" is at someone else's expense, snarky or humiliating. That's something else we can do, stop supporting that form of "humor"
Alittle bit of the Golden Rule can go a long way.

Lucassb
Dec. 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
Until this time last year, I lived in Newtown. We still have a house there, and the wonderful friend who used to hack my horse for me when I could not get out to the barn has a daughter who was in one of the classrooms attacked by the deranged lunatic who took so many innocent lives. She survived because of her now-dead young teacher's heroic actions, but will bear the scars from living through that horror forever. I know that there is still a lot of good in the world and yet it is very hard to get past this; the senseless violence just astounds me beyond my understanding. If only hugs could make things as right as we wish them to.

HorsesinHaiti
Dec. 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Until this time last year, I lived in Newtown. We still have a house there, and the wonderful friend who used to hack my horse for me when I could not get out to the barn has a daughter who was in one of the classrooms attacked by the deranged lunatic who took so many innocent lives. She survived because of her now-dead young teacher's heroic actions, but will bear the scars from living through that horror forever. I know that there is still a lot of good in the world and yet it is very hard to get past this; the senseless violence just astounds me beyond my understanding. If only hugs could make things as right as we wish them to.

((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS)))))))) to her and her daughter from all of us on COTH, next time you talk to her on the phone or in person.