PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else LIKE it when it gets dark early??

HorseLuvr
Nov. 6, 2012, 02:01 AM
Everyone around me is always saying that they can't stand it when it starts to get dark early during late fall/winter. I love it though! I am a night owl by nature and usually catch a second wind when the sun starts going down! Anyone else weird like me? :D

make x it x so
Nov. 6, 2012, 07:22 AM
Everyone around me is always saying that they can't stand it when it starts to get dark early during late fall/winter. I love it though! I am a night owl by nature and usually catch a second wind when the sun starts going down! Anyone else weird like me? :D

You see, I don't mind it for exactly the opposite reason! I'm an early bird, and I like having an excuse to go to bed at 9-10:00 (It's been dark for 6 HOURS already, OBVIOUSLY that means it's bedtime), and I like the sun to actually be up when I wake up at 6 to take care of the dog!

When I spent a month in the Costa Rican rainforest, I went to bed every night around 8:30-9:00 and woke up at 4:30 with the howler monkeys and the rest of the jungle- and it was heaven!

Daydream Believer
Nov. 6, 2012, 07:37 AM
I don't know if I like it better so much but I appreciate the change and getting in early to have a relaxing evening. It's winter time when I get time to do something fun inside...a craft or even put a jigsaw puzzle together.

I try to think of it as a natural cycle and a time for us to rest. I used to hate it when I worked 8-5 but now I'm self employed and farming, it bothers me much less.

bits619
Nov. 6, 2012, 08:37 AM
I like the light in the mornings- waking up when it's still dark is torture. That being said, two of our foster dogs are killing me.... 7:02am and they're screaming in their crates (my schedule is usually waking at 8). Screaming. We're trying to wait it out a few minutes longer every morning but they aren't having it.

I would much prefer the dark evenings if my barn had arena lights. I live a ways away and would be able to ride twice as often after work if given twenty more minutes of light.
But it is kinda nice and cozy to come home and drink hot teas all evening!

kookicat
Nov. 6, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm not keen on the dark nights, but I do love seeing the ponies all snuggled up in their boxes.

vtdobes
Nov. 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
I hate the dark nights....getting home at 5pm in the dark means there is NO dog training happening during the week. NO good when there are still trials happening!

kasjordan
Nov. 6, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hate it. It's ok on the weekends but when I have to leave the house in the dark and come home in the dark for work, it just plain sucks.

Guilherme
Nov. 6, 2012, 09:10 AM
I'm a morning person and don't like to get up when it's pitch black. We live 30 miles from the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone. That make it even worse during DST.

I'm happy to be back on Standard Tiime. :)

G.

Crackerdog
Nov. 6, 2012, 09:11 AM
Count me in for one who likes the early nights. Winter is my favorite time of year!

ezduzit
Nov. 6, 2012, 09:15 AM
I like the early nights, too. I need the sleep!

clint
Nov. 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
I love early nights. I'm an early riser, and I love having the long evenings to read and relax.

Aggie4Bar
Nov. 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
It bothers me because of my work schedule. It's dark when I leave the house regardless of the time of year. The time change means it's also dark when I leave work, which stinks. I have no daylight at all this time of year M-F unless I take time off work. However, I do tend to get more sleep since it feels later when it gets dark ealier... so there is at least that pro.

Skeezix
Nov. 6, 2012, 12:26 PM
I like that I am not paddling around in the dark in the morning taking care of horses before work. However, I don't see very well in the dark, so driving home from work in the dark, especially on rainy nights can be a bit of a challenge at times.

Janet
Nov. 6, 2012, 12:41 PM
I don't mind either way on the evening. But I DO like it getting light earlier in the morning.

I have GREAT DIFFICULTY getting out of bed when it is dark out.

Alter-ed
Nov. 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Don't like the early dark... love the early light.

MunchingonHay
Nov. 6, 2012, 01:37 PM
I prefer the sun to be up before I get up. I draw the shades in the evening anyway so, the sun setting at 6 or whatever does not bother me.

Thoroughbred in Color
Nov. 6, 2012, 02:00 PM
I like it, but then again I enjoy driving in the dark. The downside is that my horse lives at home now and I have nowhere to work her in the dark.

oliverreed
Nov. 6, 2012, 02:08 PM
I HATE it!!! Like the light in the morning, tho. I am lucky because we have an indoor arena where I board - but that's the only polace to ride during the week and it's boring, IMHO. I'd rather be out on the trail even if it's cold. And I hate to drive in the dark.

wendy
Nov. 6, 2012, 02:25 PM
and getting in early to have a relaxing evening

well, maybe that's why you like it.
I have stuff I have to do after I get home from work. Stuff outside. Doesn't matter if it's dark or not, out I go to have to do it. And if it's dark that just makes it all the harder to get done. Yes, I wear a headlamp and look like a dork. But dark or not, it doesn't mean I get to "Get in early" or "relax" or "rest", it just makes things harder.

FineAlready
Nov. 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hate shortened daylight time period. HATE IT. Especially hate driving to work in the morning in the dark and then driving to the barn in the dark, riding in the indoor, then driving home in the dark.

I think I actually have seasonal affective disorder. I start dreading winter in the summer. Literally. The existence of winter really stresses me out.

kasjordan
Nov. 6, 2012, 03:13 PM
well, maybe that's why you like it.
I have stuff I have to do after I get home from work. Stuff outside. Doesn't matter if it's dark or not, out I go to have to do it. And if it's dark that just makes it all the harder to get done. Yes, I wear a headlamp and look like a dork. But dark or not, it doesn't mean I get to "Get in early" or "relax" or "rest", it just makes things harder.

Zactly!!! There's trash to take out/burn......dogs that need fed and exercised...chickens that need fed and watered...horses that need to be minimally looked at and then fed....their fence needs to be glanced over to make sure there's nothing that happened during the day. Etc Etc Etc.

HATE it.

Nov. 6, 2012, 03:57 PM

You are not alone.
There is Dracula, Wolfman, Creature from the black lagoon, Freddy Krugar.....
You get the drift.

Superminion
Nov. 6, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm not a huge fan of it this year, since we couldn't comfortably afford to move the beast to an indoor. In the summer I can go ride when DH gets home. Now, nope... I wonder how hard it would be a ride by the truck headlights. Cold... but hmm...