View Full Version : western cantles, what the heck is a shovel cantle?

Oct. 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone,

This question is for a tack class i'm taking, sorry I don't have pictures. We were told to research a certain type of cantle we saw and name what type it was and it' purpose by next class... but I can't find anything in all of internet-dom. It was a very vertical cantle with almost no dish, the closest thing I can find is a shovel cantle. Anyone know if there is another type of cantle like this and what purpose it would serve other than being really uncomfortable? (haha)
thank you!

Oct. 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
I had never heard of a shovel cantle, but looking it up on google I saw a lot of wade saddles with hard seats and extra high cantles, very much like my own saddle. Mine is ridiculously comfortable, and extremely secure. Its very hard to get left behind in my saddle, even over rough terrain or while starting young horses. I wish I had a picture of my saddle to show you, but it doesn't appear to have much dish, but I am well rounded and it fits me like it was molded specifically for me.

Oct. 8, 2012, 09:10 PM
In short, it is any cantle without a cheyenne roll but most often applied to 3" or higher.

Oct. 9, 2012, 02:04 PM