PDA

View Full Version : Pine Sap on dog's foot

sheltona01
Sep. 5, 2012, 06:35 PM
Looking for a way to remove pine sap from my dog's paw. It looks like he stepped in it. It is on his pads and stuck to the hair in between. I can not get all of it off without hurting him. Any ideas?

Canaqua
Sep. 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
Olive oil, that's how I get it off my hands after making wreaths or otherwise messing with pine boughs. I pour oil on my hands, rub it around and then wash it off with dish soap to cut the oil...the sap comes off and my hands are really soft!

Rubyfree
Sep. 5, 2012, 07:05 PM
Just cut it out. Really. It's impossible to remove once it has saturated the hair; you can rinse and scrub and comb it down to little bits, but that sucks for the dog. Far easier & more humane to just cut it off, especially in those little nooks like between toes.

blueeyepaint
Sep. 5, 2012, 07:10 PM
Avon's skin so soft. The bad part is your dog will smell like an old lady!

Beentheredonethat
Sep. 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
Try the hand cleaner stuff you get in car parts stores. WE get this stuff called sticky weed which is just like pine sap tat the horses get in manes and tails and it's horrible. That stuff works.

crosscreeksh
Sep. 5, 2012, 09:31 PM
WD40 scrubbed into the hair and between the toes...then wash with Dawn soap.

To the MAX
Sep. 5, 2012, 09:40 PM
Peanut butter always got it out of our horses' coats. We kept a jar in the wash stall, and you probably have it around if you're not allergic to peanuts!

(Your dog may try to eat his leg off though...lol)

Sister7
Sep. 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hairspray has worked every time for me

CVPeg
Sep. 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
Goo Gone. Used to deal in antiques and it's great for taking off very sticky labels, gum off shoes, etc. I've used it on my own hands to take off pine tar. Just make sure you wash well afterwards. A bottle lasts a very long time - you don't need to use much. Believe you can find it in the big box stores. It's been a while since I've had to replace it.

tucktaway
Sep. 5, 2012, 11:04 PM
wd40

sheltona01
Sep. 6, 2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will give some of them a try until it is gone.

I wish I could just cut it out, but it is on a 13 lb Min Pin who does not like his feet touched. I would be afraid of hurting him if I tried to use sissors on his feet. Something tasty like PB would work best because he is very food motivated.

Mako
Sep. 6, 2012, 08:45 AM
I got tree sap once on a favourite pair of pants. I tried everything, nothing got it out. Finally someone suggested I use nail polish remover. It worked like a charm and didn't ruin the pants!

2ndyrgal
Sep. 6, 2012, 08:48 AM
I believe it contains acetone.

msj
Sep. 6, 2012, 08:48 AM
Any type of oil should do it. I have pine trees in my back pasture and a horse that LOVES to rub his butt, mane, neck, head, shoulder and any other part of his body against the low hanging boughs or the trunks. His mane is the absolute worst but I just rub vegetable oil into it until it comes out. Since I give him veg oil with his dinner, I always have it handy.

JanM
Sep. 6, 2012, 11:18 AM
Baby oil. That also removes varnish and other impossible to get off substances.

callmegold
Sep. 6, 2012, 12:11 PM
Vodka works too. Just don't use the good stuff:cool:

twotrudoc
Jul. 6, 2014, 03:34 PM
What worked best? I took Buck to see a friends new house, she has a gorgeous yard with pretty woods on the edge, he got sap all over his little paw running around in it. Poor pup.

Jan? Straight baby oil?

cowboymom
Jul. 6, 2014, 04:32 PM
We use GooGone for all sticky situations. :)

Sanely Eccentric
Jul. 6, 2014, 05:13 PM
My mom told me to suggest some Pine Sol. I seem to remember when I was a kid she used that on me when I got sap on my hands. :)

OnThinIce
Jul. 6, 2014, 05:28 PM
I find peanut butter works the best for my dogs. Not that the other products suggested won't do a great job, I just worry about the consequences of what ingesting it will do to my vizslas. I think I read about the recommendation to use PB right here on CoTH, as a matter of fact, and since my dogs love PB, this is a win-win. I slather a big gob on the sap, working it into the fur with my fingers. (My dogs have short coats.) And then I make sure they're some place I don't mind getting grease stained (like their beds) and the lick fest ensues. They happily keep working the area and freely offer each other assistance for hard to reach spots. Stubborn spots get a reapplication. Works like a charm, the hardened black smear gone from thigh, chest, paw, etc. I bet putting a gob of PB into your dog's paw and letting him work the oils into the sap with his teeth and tongue will reduce if not solve the problem with the least pain and heartache for all parties involved, sheltona01. Plus the best part is the dog's are ecstatic to see me approaching with the PB jar! :lol:

twotrudoc
Jul. 6, 2014, 05:56 PM
I went and got a small bottle of baby oil, it came right off. Then I bathed him so he would not have a chance to lick anything. He fits just perfectly in the sink and the whole bath takes less than 10 minutes. He likes being scrubbed with a soft Grooma ;)

RMJacobs
Jul. 6, 2014, 07:05 PM
Mayonnaise works, and is OK to ingest.

I discovered this when I had hair to my waist and got pine sap in it. No way was I cutting it. A friend suggested washing it with mayonnaise, and it worked fine. Also worked on a hard contact lens (although it took a while for the lens to stop causing blurry vision--what can I say, I was desperate).

Rebecca