View Full Version : Talk to me about Creatine & or Beta Alanine

Aug. 3, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have Race Horses but my supplements always tend to be more focused on weight and health side instead of "peformance enhancing" there just are not many marketed supplements that I believe do even close to what they are supposed to.
But I have been reading up on the idea of supplementing creatine or creatine and beta alanine together. There seems to be some contraversity whether the absorbtion of creatine in horses makes it worth while to supplement with. I like the idea of the combo for muscle fatigue, lactic acid removal, endurance, ect. that it is "supposed" to do for humans and there are studies saying that it coincides for horses. But I am still skeptical. Does anyone have info or experience they would like to share. Thank you!

Jul. 8, 2013, 01:34 PM
Moore4sure you are spot on on your assumptions on creative in horses and illustrates perfectly why you can't simply take human research and apply it to horses as the horses digestive tract is very different. Beta alanine on the other hand is different as horses led the research in this field with beneficial effects being studied in horses first before moving across to people. Many of our clients around the world are seeing the practical benefits of beta alanine in racehorses TB and standardbred as well as sports horses. Not allowed to talk about products on here but a simple google search on beta alanine and horse will lead you in the right direction. Hope this helps :)

Jul. 8, 2013, 02:00 PM
The human research on these products is hardly stellar. Unless you are willing to consider the ads in muscle magazines "research". :lol:

Strip away all of the hype and these are humble amino acids that mammals produce in HUGE amounts without any need for supplementation.

Rather than using Google, which is a vehicle for primarily advertisements, try PubMed or Scirus. See how much you can find on these substances and their benefits as feed supplements. It won't take long. :lol:

Jul. 8, 2013, 02:27 PM
I think Pubmed or Scirus is a good idea to establish the level off efficacy for both creatine and beta alanine in humans as there are plenty o good peer reviewed published studies! There was a meta analysis published on beta alanine in humans just last year I believe. In horses there are 3 studies published on creatine, which all show a failure to be absorbed rom the gut . The research on beta alanine in horses was published in Equine Vet Journal and shows absorption and increased carnosine content in all three muscle fibre types. There are no direct 'exercise' studies following supplementation of BA in horses but improved muscle buffering is reported. Talking about 'performance' as such is always contravertial as it is difficult to prove. Metabolic effects that underpin perormance are easier to show, as is improved work capacity.

Jul. 8, 2013, 02:30 PM
Meaning--bench research shows small incremental changes in muscle cell physiology in some cases, but performance has never been shown to improve. :) There's a billion-dollar supplement industry out there that cashes in heavily on these small findings. Another good example of the (money) cart coming before the (data) horse.

mzm farm
Jul. 8, 2013, 04:49 PM
I always love intelligent discussion instead of bickering! Thank you for thoughtful and educated responses.
Deltaw. I like your "cart"!

For some supplements the time between hypothesis and proof is the time to take advantage of yet "unproven" benefits ahead of the crowd, sometimes it is a time one ends up with money wasted if supplements are used.

As long as you are sure that you will do no harm to your animal, it is pretty much a financial decision to try or not a particular supplement.