PDA

View Full Version : Chickens...What was I ever thinking...

Daydream Believer
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:02 AM
Chickens can be challenging at times to manage...sometimes in a fun way and sometimes not so fun. I had an "adventure" yesterday to rival any I've had in the 2+ years we've raised chickens for our market business.

I had little broiler chicks come in yesterday morning unexpectedly a day early. So I dropped everything, ran to the Post Office, brought them home and set them up in the brooder as fast as I could. All seemed well so I took off to do my trim work. I had a full schedule yesterday with 3 different barns. I did not get home until 4 pm.

So I walk back to the brooder to check on the chicks. The hens coop is right beside that...shares a wall. I converted a shed row barn to be a poultry house... a brooder, a hen coop and a turkey house. I hear "peep peep peep!!!" everywhere...chicks are literally running all over the place darting like little mice (they are quick.) The hens and roosters are ignoring them completely and they are like a bunch of kids at recess...just everywhere quickly.

I run to the brooder and look in and one of the hens flew over the wall and must have frightened the chicks. They probably piled up at the door and there was a crack under the door that they must have squeezed out of. I've learned that new chicks can fit through some VERY SMALL holes. Dang...in my hurry in the morning to get to my appts I had not noticed it...so I patched up the hole and spent the next hour rounding up the little buggers. So after a long day of bending over under horses, I'm now bending over snatching up baby chickens and I had a lot of misses. My back still hurts.

I think I got them all but there are 150 so counting them is impossible unless I caught them all and that isn't going to happen! Not sure what to do about the hen who got in with them but she might have been contemplating motherhood. She saw me and flew back over the wall too fast for me to catch her and clip her wing feathers. She's on my hit list for sure.

Just another day down on the farm. I wonder sometimes if I'm crazy and I should just stick to horses and farrier work. UGH...

fivehorses
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:50 AM
nah, life would be too boring.

JB
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ChocoMare
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:48 AM
:lol:

As my daddy one taught me about animals: If the head fits, the rest of the body fits.

It's true! You'd be amazed at the skinny doorway my 2,000 lb Percheron fit thru! :eek:

TheTwinTiersHorse
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:57 AM
:lol: It is shocking how fast little these little buggers can go. I rescued a couple of redwing blackbird chicks who were in the path of my hay mower, and those little dudes had some crazy fast leg action!

I see ibuprofen in your immediate future.

SmartAlex
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:42 AM
As my daddy one taught me about animals: If the head fits, the rest of the body fits.

That rule no longer applies for my fat kitty. She keeps getting stuck halfway between the rungs of our headboard which is in front of a widow :lol:

Mosey_2003
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
Oh, you poor thing!!! :lol:

ReSomething
Aug. 4, 2012, 12:47 PM
There will always be one you can NEVER catch you know. Advil works for me!

chemteach
Aug. 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
Bless your heart and I am sure your aching legs!

Daydream Believer
Aug. 4, 2012, 02:46 PM
I thought you all would get a chuckle out of that story. My back is a little better today but I could hardly walk on Friday. Almost as bad was the great "turkey walkabout" last year. I had about 30 heritage Turkeys get loose at once. Being the seriously dumb birds they are, they wandered around and got lost and found a shady spot and sat. My neighbor calls me during the day to ask what to do about 30 of my turkeys roosting on her back porch. OMG...

I had to leave the market early to go home and round up the birds. I had two people help me and we got them to leave the porch and herded them back across the road to my farm. They were not terribly far away which goes to show how dumb they are. I've never had a chicken get lost nor a duck.

At least turkeys are herd able as are ducks. Forget trying to herd chickens. They just turn back and run straight at you.

Anyway, once we got them in sight of my barn, they took off at a run back to their coop where their food and water is. They were hungry not surprisingly. We had to clip their wings as they are seriously good fliers when adolescents.

The chicks are doing fine now...no one has succumbed to stress from the escape or anything. I still have no idea how many I found but I don't think I lost more than one or two if that.

quarterhorse4me
Aug. 4, 2012, 03:59 PM
Been there! I thought rounding up 19 was bad; I cannot imagine that kind of volume!!!!