PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Day 2

Pages : [1] 2

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:04 AM
Good Morning .... anyone up and about ?

eponacelt
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:05 AM
Trying to get the streaming working but can't. Really wanted to see Tina!

rebeginner
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:07 AM
All i'm getting is a message: "Invalid parameters." Does anyone else have that, or is it me?

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:09 AM
Calecto is a nice horse, but I can't believe an 80% horse! Scored 70.486%.

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:10 AM
It's working for me, though I only caught the end of Tina's ride as she was saluting.

Here is the NBC viewing link: http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/video-watch.html?video=dressage-1st-team-competition-day-2
Results: http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/event/dressage-individual/phase=eqx001900/index.html

eponacelt
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:11 AM
Bummer I missed it. Still trying to make my iPad work. It worked great yesterday!!!

gabby.gator
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'm watching! have seen them do better,(Tina and Calecto) seems like nerves played a part in that one........

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:16 AM
This is a nicer test, Tinne and Don Auriello. This horse will be getting some good scores in a few years!

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:17 AM
I"m up! Watching on bbc via expat shield. Loved Tina's ride. Just a bit of loss of rhythm and unsteadiness, otherwise lovely.

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hmmm ...thought Don Auriello did better than a 74.
Really like that horse.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
Morning to all you dedicated people in N America! Tina had a lovely ride and it was a pleasure to see once again how much joy she gets from this horse. Overall the scores have been on the low side so far, in the context of recent international competitions. That's not necessarily a bad thing... will be interesting to see if the trend is carried through the rest of today. I am simply loving the fact that we have a REAL competition this time!

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:26 AM
Ah, there you are! MORNING!

I downloaded ExPat last night and got everything set up. This morning? NO SOUND.

Back to slow NBC feed.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:33 AM
Eremo is doing the most impressive test of the morning so far (to me). They are a good partnership and that is a talented horse.

BUT..... whhhyyyy would you take a baby to grand prix dressage?!?!?!!? :eek: It seems to have been a feature of all the events at Greenwich so far to have a screaming child in the stands.

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:33 AM
that's odd. I've got sound on mine. Wait for the break and try again? make sure all your browser windows are closed before you start up the shield.

Polydor
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:34 AM
Good evening from Oz :D

Weather looks good for today. Still sad for our Canadian rider who was eliminated yesterday. :(

Lucinda Green needs to shut up a little bit. Think she's steadly talked through 3 riders and not taken a break yet. :O Liked her for eventing but some of her comments and gossip that she says.

Called Tina " that circus rider girl" in a somewhat negative way. And figured these will be the last games we will see top hats and everyone will be wearing crash helmets "which look really big and crappy" ( not quite those words but weren't favorable).

P.

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:38 AM
It's nice to not have commentary, though the screaming child was distracting, as was the squeaking during that last ride.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:39 AM
Well after reading Polydor's post....maybe Ill stick with blessed silence. An eventer? Really? Lucinda is an Icon, surely, but ....?

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:45 AM
whhhyyyy would you take a baby to grand prix dressage?!?!?!!? :eek: It seems to have been a feature of all the events at Greenwich so far to have a screaming child in the stands.

Flash forward 28 years....the gold medal winning rider says "I owe it all to my mother who brought me to my very first Olympics when it was in London. I had no idea what I was watching of course, but she wanted me to see the pretty horses. I'm so glad she did."

That's going to come out at some point !! lol.

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:46 AM
Same commetator from yesterday, Judy something or other, FEI judge and GP rider.

Polydor
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:46 AM
Yup I'm guessing she's signed on for the entire equestrian section. She's describing each movement they do and reading out the scores as she see them on top of her on comments. And already has admitted to not being the best judge of dressage either!

Might be flipping channels and popping in periodically and maybe even on mute too!

Did hear a fair bit of gossip about all the eventers from her too. Really hope most/all of it was public info! Everything for martial status/newly divorcing and who know what else!

P.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:57 AM
Oooh it all heats up now - Edward Gal up next!

the BBC commentator is Judy Harvey, who is a rather good judge of dressage to say the very least - not sure who could be better.

:D

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:00 AM
Love the frame the french horse is in. Just a lovely picture.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:01 AM
Undercover seems a bit tense and going short in the neck at times, but good talent for the piaffe.

dudleyc
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:06 AM
Undercover looked tense in the canter but no mistakes !

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:06 AM
Undercover seems a bit tense and going short in the neck at times, but good talent for the piaffe.
I was thinking the same thing.

Edit: Gal/Undercover received a score of 75.289, the same as Kasprzak/Donnperignon.

spotteddrafter
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:07 AM
Master class by Gal indeed!

Lost_at_C
My gosh that man can ride. Mind you, his legs could nearly wrap all the way round Undercover.

nomeolvides
75.289%, judges quite kind to Edward and Undercover!

2tempe
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:08 AM
I could watch E.Gal all day long. Pretty nice score; anyone know how long he as had this horse?

Speaking of scoring, it looks like we have come back to a land of reality?

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:09 AM
He just said he'd had him six months. Interview with Edward over the PA

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:09 AM
HA! "Umbrella" playing in the background, apt :D

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:16 AM
Good luck to Richard Davison - he deserves a good showing!

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:19 AM
Artemis and the Austrian horse (Fabriano?) very similar, you can tell they have the same sire :)

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:23 AM
Solid test from Richard and Artemis. I'm so pleased that they got the individual spot! And I like how he always gives Artemis a treat after their test.

dudleyc
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
I love love love Desparados!

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:27 AM
Kristina Sprehe and Desperados have made a great start, I'm sure they'll be at or near the top of the leaderboard after this. Stunning horse.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm happy to see the Gorton's Fisherman is back today :)

dudleyc
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oops short change after the extension

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:34 AM
I really hope the German team's advertising-on-breeches thing doesn't catch on.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:35 AM
Well, that was a well deserved score! 79.392%. It's tight at the top now. It would be a real nail biter this afternoon if it were the usual format :eek:

Lord Helpus
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:36 AM
Is it really live streaming now? I do not have it on the list of current streams and the Eq. page says "coming up"

WTF is wrong with my feed?????

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:36 AM
The results page is showing Gal's score is now 75.395%. Did they explain why it changed from 75.289%?

rothmpp
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:37 AM

Ditto. So distracting.

dudleyc
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:38 AM

Agree looks like a bird splatted on them

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:39 AM
I hope it doesn't! I have visions of newbies making threads that ask if their score will be marked down if they don't wear the "right" breeches.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:42 AM
Lord, try a refresh. Mine did that today, but I kept refreshing. I finally got it.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm going to need sedatives before this is all over... I'm not used to dressage being so nail-bitingly close! Doesn't help either that my loyalties are completely divided between the UK and US, and I'll be completely confused for the individual final. I think I need blood pressure meds.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:46 AM
OH CANADA! GO, CANADA!

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:50 AM
Silly Q - are Breaking Dawn's hooves really black? Looks like it-cool.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:53 AM
Your individual is on now, guys :cool:

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:55 AM
Canada - you were robbed. Deserved better score IMHO.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:56 AM
There were quite a few bobbles and little mistakes for Ashley Holzer so to be honest, for a tough marking competition, that wasn't a bad score?

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:58 AM
Keep it together, Wizard.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:03 AM
Well done Adrienne :) What a cool lovely rider!

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:04 AM
Steffen really has to put in a blockbuster test (or someone else has to blow it) or we may not move up to the team finals. I take that back upon second thought, I'm going to think we can beat Australia for a team spot.

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:09 AM
I love the little American flags on the horses' leg bandages.

Equitese
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:17 AM
Silly Q - are Breaking Dawn's hooves really black? Looks like it-cool.

I was wondering the same thing! I think they really are b/c there are patches of black near his coronet band. Unless the groom got a little crazy with the hoof polish.

MsM
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:31 AM
Great being able to watch so many tests! Even if my feed isnt always the best.

My impressions from a lowly rider/spectator who couldnt see all the details due to the feed:
Seems like many more open, more free-flowing tests than the last Olympics. And they are scoring well.
Any one else think Gal was overscored? I thought his horse was tight and "held" the whole test - horizontal curb through most. Seemed like what we saw more of four years ago. I would have thought he would have been marked down more in every movement even though they performed many movements well, save for that. To me, the whole performance lacked the ease and self-carriage and appeared held-together. In contrast Desperados looked lovely!

I've kinda gotten used to the helmet with tails thing. Looked weird at first, but now I think it might be a nice combo - tails for the elegance and helmet to indicate it is still a sport! (and of course to protect!)

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:39 AM
Rubi looked like he was doing those changes on his own, gorgeous.
Nice one times as well, I think the flying changes are a real highlight for this pair. Great harmony.

wcporter
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:40 AM
OMG I am in love with Rubi!!

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:43 AM
MsM I agree with your overall impressions of Gal's test but I don't think it was drastically overscored - again, I'd love to see the individual movement marks because I'm willing to bet he got top notch marks for the piaffe and other highlights. Those coefficients, transitions, etc can really alter the overall score. Add to that the fact that Gal put in a masterful peformance on a young, inexperienced hothead and you get an excellent rider score that counterbalances the perhaps lower submission mark. All just conjecture though!

To me, this wasn't the overbent curb-heavy riding of earlier years, but just a case of getting the job done as tactfully and subtly as possible. Maybe it was overscored... it will be interesting to dissect later.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:46 AM

My impressions from a lowly rider/spectator who couldnt see all the details due to the feed:
Seems like many more open, more free-flowing tests than the last Olympics. And they are scoring well.
Any one else think Gal was overscored? I thought his horse was tight and "held" the whole test - horizontal curb through most. Seemed like what we saw more of four years ago. I would have thought he would have been marked down more in every movement even though they performed many movements well, save for that. To me, the whole performance lacked the ease and self-carriage and appeared held-together. In contrast Desperados looked lovely!

I'm a nobody too :cool: but I agree completely. It was a masterful ride, though.
I've kinda gotten used to the helmet with tails thing. Looked weird at first, but now I think it might be a nice combo - tails for the elegance and helmet to indicate it is still a sport! (and of course to protect!)

[I'm still transitioning from hunt cap to Great Gazoo helmet, myself. I love top hats but noggins are more important :) and I'm getting used to them, too.

wcporter
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
love the helmet too :yes:

accio
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
I missed Ashley's ride! How was she and Breaking Dawn?

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:55 AM
Is there a place where we can watch yesterday's rides?

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:56 AM
Fuego is next!

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:58 AM
Fuego is next!
I'm excited to see how he does!

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:00 AM
To me, this wasn't the overbent curb-heavy riding of earlier years, but just a case of getting the job done as tactfully and subtly as possible. Maybe it was overscored... it will be interesting to dissect later.

"Tactfully and subtly as possible" - that's it right there.

Technically the horse did everything, but the tenseness was blatant and present throughout.

I thought Edward rode him brilliantly.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:00 AM
I hear castanets in my head :D

Go Fuego!

accio
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:03 AM
Is there a place where we can watch yesterday's rides?

All the event replays are available on NBC's site after logging in with your cable subscriber information.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/browse/index.html?menu3#sx=sports&cx=equestrian&fx=fullEventsReplays&ox=recent&vx=grid&px=1

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:05 AM
Thank you, accio!

As for Fuego - WOW.

Pony+ an inch
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:05 AM
I hear castanets in my head :D

Go Fuego!

I am obsessed with this horse. I'm also in awe of his tail today--so white, so shiny, so full. Oh to have a tail like that.

vineyridge
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
I am obsessed with this horse. I'm also in awe of his tail today--so white, so shiny, so full. Oh to have a tail like that.

I have one of those. It's white, usually sort of shiny, and very full. But my horse is bay. :)

Renn/aissance
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:12 AM
I ADORE Fuego. I don't know nothin' about dressage, but it is really cool to see the difference in the way he looks out there versus the Warmblood crew doing the same movements. Plus he's adorable. :D

lovey1121
At first halt I had a flash of Mr.Bean on Fuego. :lol: I watched the whole test picturing Rowan Atkinson up there. :)

Anne FS
Fuego 75.53 into 6th place.

Just beautiful dressage.

Renn/aissance
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:13 AM
GO CHARLOTTE!

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:13 AM
It is so obvious that Juan loves Fuego. I love watching that team so much! Now, he HAS to make it to the freestyle.

Go Charlotte and Valegro

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:14 AM
wow Fuego !!! Wonderful !

Thank you judges for rewarding that ride !

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fuego was lovely but not quite as nice as I've seen him in the past. Perhaps a bit tighter in the neck than usual.

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:15 AM
Charlotte Dujardin of Great Britain, on Valegro, wearing a helmet, for those keeping track.

Renn/aissance
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:16 AM
Charlotte Dujardin of Great Britain, on Valegro, wearing a helmet, for those keeping track.

And, since I really like DQ fashion, the helmet is subtly piped with red to match the collar and points of her shad. You can't make that fashion statement in a top hat!

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:20 AM

Fuego was lovely but not quite as nice as I've seen him in the past. Perhaps a bit tighter in the neck than usual.

Agreed. Piaffe not as brilliant today. Still yummy.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:20 AM
Superb, that was beautiful riding from Charlotte. Controlled power, stunning.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:21 AM
Live Scoring is apparently screwed up. Shows Australia in 3rd putting USA in 8th. Can't be right since Australia's combined score is 68.5% or am I missing something?

Nevermind. I see they are final scoring them as the last rider for each team goes.

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:22 AM
MAN can Valegro SIT! His haunches lower SO nicely. That was a nice ride

Steffen Peters has his work cut out for him.

Anne FS
And, since I really like DQ fashion, the helmet is subtly piped with red to match the collar and points of her shad. You can't make that fashion statement in a top hat!

Agreed. That helmet looks elegant.

War Admiral
How did Adrienne & Wizard do? Loff that pair, but their test came in the middle of my commute so I couldn't watch.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:23 AM
AMAZING AMAZING!!!!!!:eek::eek: VALEGRO IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Light yet supremely powerful. Solid yet fluid connection. Oh WOW.:)

Anne FS
83.784!!! 1st place for Charlotte and Valegro.

Renn/aissance
HOLY FREAKING COW YOU GO CHARLOTTE!

Now I'll be civilized again. :) That was a phenomenal test. What a fabulous horse.

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:25 AM
What a beautiful pair. Power, elegance, lightness.

Congrats GB !

mayhew
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:26 AM
Oooh, I LIKE Fuego.

accio
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:26 AM
I really hope Great Britain wins a Team medal and/or Individual medal. Very impressed with all of the rides over the last two days! :D Charlotte's ride was outstanding!

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:27 AM
Oooh, I LIKE Fuego.

Me too but I think I like Valegro more right now. That was one NICE TEST!

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:27 AM
Is all that clapping for the tractor people exiting the ring after dragging it? :lol:

hundredacres
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:28 AM
Superb, that was beautiful riding from Charlotte. Controlled power, stunning.

That ride gave me chills.....I'm at work...should be working....

Belleaphant
What does the green "Q" mean before the score on the scoreboard?

hundredacres
Is all that clapping for the tractor people exiting the ring after dragging it? :lol:

I think they're showing scores on the monitors :).

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:29 AM

Qualified

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:29 AM
How did Adrienne & Wizard do? Loff that pair, but their test came in the middle of my commute so I couldn't watch.

A beautiful test. Wizz was a very good boy:). Adrienne rode exquisitely and oh so tactfully. One mistake in ext trot, but clean test in general. Wizz looked CALM and POISED.:eek: They both made the selectors happy with their choice, IMO.

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
Means they qualified for the next round. We need Steffen to do a phenomenal test.

Equilibrium
Live Scoring is apparently screwed up. Shows Australia in 3rd putting USA in 8th. Can't be right since Australia's combined score is 68.5% or am I missing something?

Nevermind. I see they are final scoring them as the last rider for each team goes.

That's just because the 3rd rider for the US has not gone through yet. Should be different after Ravel.

Charlotte and Valegro were such a pleasure to watch!

Terri

accio

Qualified for the next round.

1 226 Great Britain DUJARDIN C VALEGRO 83.663 Q +
2 231 Germany SPREHE K DESPERADOS 79.119 Q +
3 227 Great Britain HESTER C UTHOPIA 77.720 Q +
4 224 Great Britain BECHTOLSHEIMER L MISTRAL HOJRIS 76.839 Q +
5 230 Germany SCHNEIDER D DIVA ROYAL 76.277 Q +
6 233 Italy TRUPPA V EREMO DEL CASTEGNO 75.790 Q +
7 219 Spain MUNOZ DIAZ JM FUEGO 75.608 Q +
8 237 Netherlands GAL E UNDERCOVER 75.395 Q +
9 213 Denmark KASPRZAK A DONNPERIGNON 75.289 Q +
10 216 Denmark ZU SAYN - WITTGEN. DIGBY 74.924 Q

Equitese

Adrienne scored 69.620 - a fairly conservative ride and a bobble breaking into canter on an extended trot. My favorite pair!

Teacup
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:31 AM
I think I could watch both Fuego and Valegro all day.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:32 AM
I really hope Great Britain wins a Team medal and/or Individual medal. Very impressed with all of the rides over the last two days! :D Charlotte's ride was outstanding!

I don't think you need to worry on that ;) The question will be what color(s)??!!

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:33 AM
I really hope Great Britain wins a Team medal and/or Individual medal. Very impressed with all of the rides over the last two days! Charlotte's ride was outstanding!

Never mind that, it's the COLOUR of the medal that we hardly dare think about!!! My god, I literally couldn't breathe during Charlotte's ride. I need to go school my own horse and get some perspective.

accio
Last group of riders after the break:

254 14:35 United States of America PETERS Steffen RAVEL +
246 14:44 Sweden KITTEL Patrik SCANDIC +
242 14:53 Poland MILCZAREK Katarzyna EKWADOR +
214 15:02 Denmark SEIERSKILDE Lisbeth RANEUR +
236 15:11 Netherlands CORNELISSEN Adelinde PARZIVAL +
229 15:20 Germany LANGEHANENBERG Helen DAMON HILL

Anne FS
I think they're showing scores on the monitors :).

Rats. I was hoping it was for the tractor people. They always get a big cheer over here. :)

chancellor2
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
Come on Steffan. We need a phenomenal test right now.

2tempe
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
HOLY FREAKING COW YOU GO CHARLOTTE!

Now I'll be civilized again. :) That was a phenomenal test. What a fabulous horse.

The best conclusion, especially the "uncivilized" version

dressagetraks
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
Rats. I was hoping it was for the tractor people. They always get a big cheer over here. :)

In Atlanta 1996, the grounds crew was dancing and doing the YMCA. :D The crowd loved it.

Can't wait to hear how Ravel does!

LadyNeon01
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:41 AM
Argh, my video keeps buffering during Steffen's ride. Guess I'm going to have to watch it later. Grr!!

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
By my calculations, Peters will have to score a 79.8 to get a head of Denmark and land the US in a medal spot.. The last German and Dutch riders still have to go, so even that might not be enough.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
Steffen Peters is doing a great job, Ravel looks lovely and relaxed, think they'll be 3rd or 4th.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yep, into 3rd with 77.948%

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
Best pirouettes and halfpasses for Steffen IMO.

War Admiral
Yep, into 3rd with 77.948%

Sweet!

Thanks for the updates on Adrienne, ladies!

Lost_at_C
Lovely test from Steffan - do we think it was underscored? Perhaps less impulsion than some others, but so correct overall.

Anne FS
Steffan: 77.948 3rd place

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
Best pirouettes and halfpasses for Steffen IMO.

Pirouettes tightests ever IMO

Yea Steffen ! (round of applause)

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
Looks like US won't medal. Last German rider just needs a 64% to beat US team score.

yaya
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:49 AM
By my calculations, Peters will have to score a 79.8 to get a head of Denmark and land the US in a medal spot.. The last German and Dutch riders still have to go, so even that might not be enough.

They still have to do the Special before team medals are decided.

There is still time!

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:49 AM
Lovely test from Steffan - do we think it was underscored? Perhaps less impulsion than some others, but so correct overall.
I don't think it was underscored. The scoring for the entire 2 days has been fairly harsh. Ravel's test was really beautiful and correct but I think if you compare to Valegro you can see why he didn't get to the 80's, a lot less power. The judges are being more conservative and realistic, when compared with the monster scores given recently.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:50 AM
Kittel and Scandic not having a good round. Gorgeous horse but loads of mistakes.

accio
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:52 AM
Lovely ride by Steffen Peters and Ravel! :D Great job USA!

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:52 AM
They still have to do the Special before team medals are decided.

There is still time!

Ok, gotcha.

Still looks like an uphill climb, but ya never know.

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:53 AM
Score correction for Steffen, now in 4th with a 77.705.

War Admiral
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:53 AM
Kittel and Scandic not having a good round. Gorgeous horse but loads of mistakes.

Good. This is the "blue tongue" rider so no love lost here!!

solstince
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:01 AM
Good. This is the "blue tongue" rider so no love lost here!!

Don't mind me, an Eventer here but..what does this term mean? :)

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:02 AM
Pirouettes tightests ever IMO

Yea Steffen ! (round of applause)

The carrying power was in a different class so far - a Masterclass on pirouettes!!

accio
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:03 AM

http://eventingnation.com/home/classical-dressage-attacks-modern-dressage-over-blue-tongue-rollkur-video.html

I feel sorry for those poor horses :(

caffeinated
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:06 AM

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2009/10/218.shtml

War Admiral
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:06 AM
Anybody know why Steffen's score was corrected?

glimmerling
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm going to assume because they realized he was beating Hester and that just wouldn't do! j/k

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:07 AM
Anybody know why Steffen's score was corrected?
Charlotte's was as well, lots have been corrected over the two days. Something to do with the Judging Supervisory Panel?

yaya
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:08 AM
Sometimes it's just an input error by the e-scribe that gets corrected when checking against the hard copy.

joiedevie99
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:08 AM
I doubt it is the work of the supervisory panel. It's very common for a typing mistake to occur when the electronic scorer is inputting the scores in real time. They are checked against the scribe's handwritten scores before being finalized.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:09 AM
I doubt it is the work of the supervisory panel. It's very common for a typing mistake to occur when the electronic scorer is inputting the scores in real time. They are checked against the scribe's handwritten scores before being finalized.
Good point!

Velvet
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe correcting perceived bias in scoring?

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:11 AM

A few years ago a warm-up video emerged that showed Scandic with his tongue trapped between the two bits of the double bridle. Some believed the images showed a tongue that had turned blue from lack of blood flow, though that was always a somewhat dubious interpretation. Kittel, if I remember correctly, said he was initially unaware of the situation and corrected it as soon as possible. The incident became known as the Blue-tongue episode.

Since that time the people behind the video, Epona, have released unverifiable but disturbing footage of a Reining warm-up, but they refused to turn it over to authorities who wished to investigate.

Kittel is known for using hyperflexion in warm-ups and training, but also since that time the FEI has introduced rules limiting the duration of hyperflexion in warm-ups.

I'm sure others will correct what I've missed.

nomeolvides
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:13 AM
Kittel got death threats over the episode, which was disturbing!

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:13 AM
This may be a stupid question, but didn't there used to be 5 judges? I notice there are 7 scoring judges now. Has it always been 7?

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
Well Parzival has chin to chest entering the stadium...lovely.:cool:

Supertight curb.

Sigh.

vineyridge
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:19 AM
Does Ravel's test put the US in the GP Special as a Team?

yaya
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:20 AM
So tight, he wouldn't reinback.

"but Mom, you have the brakes on!"

yaya
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:21 AM

Yes, we're in the top 7

nomeolvides
Yes :)
Well it seems Parzival is going to get over 80% but I personally didn't enjoy watching that test, Uthopia, Ravel and Desperados were far more pleasant and harmonious.

Denali
Well Parzival has chin to chest entering the stadium...lovely.:cool:

Supertight curb.

Sigh.

It's just gross to watch, the entry and surround.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
Btw, I really like Judy the BBC commentator. Knowledgeable and kind, but not afraid to call it the way she sees it.

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:22 AM

Yes, by the end of today they can be no worse than 5th.
Currently 3rd, with one Dutch rider in the ring and a German up next.

Anne FS
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
HATE the sponsorship logos plastered all over.

mimiwenk
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
How i the world can they score Parzival over 80%? Didn't they see her cranking his head to his chest prior to entering the ring? Didn't they see how short and tight in the neck he was throughout the test? Did he not miss his last canter ziz-zag of 6 (or did I miss count)? This makes me so angry and sad.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:29 AM
I'm really finding the Dutch riding style increasingly disparate (not to mention disturbing) from the way competitive dressage is going (thank Gawd). The wagging and rollkur and the waterski position is so ugly, and produces such a different animal. (I know, DUH...) Thanks to Steffen, Carl, Charlotte and others for giving us shining examples to aspire to.

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
TeamStandings

1. GB - 79.407
2. Ger - 78.845
3. Hol - 76.809
4. Den - 73.845
5. USA - 72.801
6. ESP - 72.467
7. SWE - 71.940

Looks like the medals are pretty much decided. Lot of ground for Americans, Danes and Spaniards to make up on top three, probably too much.

Forte
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
Totally agree about Parcival. I've never understood why the judges score Adelinde so high. To me she always looks like she's leaning WAY back and waterskiing on the curb. I'd love to see her try to ride him in a snaffle!

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
81 for Damon Hill? Why??

But ohmygoodness I can't wait til next week.

Pony+ an inch
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:36 AM
81 for Damon Hill? Why??

But ohmygoodness I can't wait til next week.

Well I liked that ride far better than Parzival, albeit my dressage knowledge is limited.

LadyNeon01
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:42 AM
I liked Damon Hill's ride better than Parzival's also. Adelinde was really riding on the curb. The close up of Parzival's head they showed on LiveExtra was really disturbing to me. The only time I've ridden a GP horse, I had a really loose curb rein. So much fun riding piaffe and passage on the snaffle!

Now I have to go back and watch the USA rides and Charlotte's!

vineyridge
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe SP didn't really push Ravel to be flamboyant as the US needed a decent score to make the GP Special as a Team? Maybe he'll take more chances later.

Denali
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
I thought Damon Hill's test was lovely to watch and of course Valegro. I fell in love with Charlotte and Valegro the very first time I saw video of her riding in a warmup.

GO TEAM USA too for putting in solid performances!

Auburn
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
When did it become OK to use your voice during a test?

Kittell told his horse to "whoa" just before his free walk.

Poland rider clucked her horse into the trot from the opening salute. You could see her do it, as well as hear it.

During one part of her test, I could hear the last British rider clucking in rhythm. She must have used her tongue on the back of the roof of her mouth, so that her mouth did not move.

The sound comes through really well. It is too bad that the judges could not hear them as well.

The last rider from the land of everything Orange ;) was definitely using Rollkur before entering the stadium. The horse's neck was so short during the test that it looked about a foot long. The horse resisted the rein back, then took six steps back, instead of five. There was no extension of the horse's head, during the walk. He did have a super passage and piaffe, though.

I was surprised that Stephan Peters ride was not more accurate. He was starting movements before letters, after letters and nowhere near some letters (ie: transition from extended walk at H, he was still gathering up his reins after H). I loved his extended canter! I did think that he was scored a bit low, especially when compared to the riders after him.

Did anyone else notice the last German horse rope walking in front, during his extended walk?

DLee
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:01 AM
When did it become OK to use your voice during a test?

Kittell told his horse to "whoa" just before his free walk.

Poland rider clucked her horse into the trot from the opening salute. You could see her do it, as well as hear it.

During one part of her test, I could hear the last British rider clucking in rhythm. She must have used her tongue on the back of the roof of her mouth, so that her mouth did not move.

The sound comes through really well. It is too bad that the judges could not hear them as well.

The last rider from the land of everything Orange ;) was definitely using Rollkur before entering the stadium. The horse's neck was so short during the test that it looked about a foot long. The horse resisted the rein back, then took six steps back, instead of five. There was no extension of the horse's head, during the walk. He did have a super passage and piaffe, though.

I was surprised that Stephan Peters ride was not more accurate. He was starting movements before letters, after letters and nowhere near some letters (ie: transition from extended walk at H, he was still gathering up his reins after H). I loved his extended canter! I did think that he was scored a bit low, especially when compared to the riders after him.

Did anyone else notice the last German horse rope walking in front, during his extended walk?

Every comment you just made echoed each of my thoughts exactly! Except maybe for Stephan's accuracy as I missed the first half of his test.

Cornillson (sp?) ride was really unpleasant to watch imo.

joiedevie99
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:05 AM
I tend not to judge accuracy from video because the angles can make it look very distorted. The only thing I noticed was that Ravel's change on the centerline, between the pirouettes, was short behind.

As to the sounds, the mics are right in the flowers, so much closer to the rider and horse than the judge is.

Sonesta
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:11 AM
I think they need to put speakers in the judge's boxes so they can hear all the use of voice. It was amazing how many riders were clucking to their horses!

tm
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:29 AM
Coverage-wise, I'm impressed with the NUMBER of broadcast cameras that they've got working the arena. I count three from the top of the stands, three from the corners on the ground, one hand-held at the in gate and one remote at C. I can't remember a network EVER having such a complete view of things. Anyone else see other angles?

Carried Away
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
I was saddened by Parzival's test too, very unpleasant to watch. I don't think she let go of the curb rein once. I loved Ravel's soft expression and wonderful floppy ears!! Valegro was amazing, and deserved to be 1st.

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, its fabulous to see all the angles. I especially love the rein back cam.

Just wish they had a camera on the scoreboard to see the individual . movement scores.

tm
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
I don't believe they are showing the individual movement scores anymore - they haven't at the last few CDIs I've been to. Instead they do a running score which shows what the horse in the ring's average is at that point.... But it would be interesting to see that.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rubi looked like he was doing those changes on his own. that was a truly moving test. I'm so glad I got to watch him. I think he deserved a bit higher score.
And the italian's piaffe was a 9 for me!

Isabeau Z Solace
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:29 PM
I think they need to put speakers in the judge's boxes so they can hear all the use of voice. It was amazing how many riders were clucking to their horses!

The riders are very good at doing it in the right place at the right time, and out of range of the judge's boxes. I don't know if it really matters that much. I'd rather they clucked than gouged with the spur.

Petstorejunkie
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:30 PM

That was my impression too. He seemed not present in a way, yet Juan did his best to bring out what he could. I hope whatever has Fuego distracted is alleviated when we see more of him.
Juan was tidy but not as giving with the hand today.

KellyS
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:43 PM
Regarding the rider's voice/clucking/etc...

My husband and I also drive, and for driving dressage, your voice is one of your main aids and you are never marked down for using it during a test (within reason of course).

It's made me see what a wonderful aid it is and I think it's sad that it's not allowed in ridden dressage. You can finesse your ride with some simple voice aids--a soft whoa to back up a halt or a cluck to help a transition.

I can say it's lovely to watch driven dressage tests where people are telling their horses, "Good boy!" or "You've got it!", during a test. Makes for a much more positive experience for horse, driver, and spectators.

JMHO

Kim
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
Charlotte made it look easy!! Gorgeous horse and test!

rothmpp
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
Regarding the voice aid - glad to see that I was not the only one who heard the whoa from Kittel. Thought maybe I was hearing things...

Very subtle (or not so subtle) voice aids are heard all over dressage tests. It's hard to remember not to, unless you never speak to your horse when riding, ever. And most judges tend to ignore, or at most make a comment in the remarks, a small slip. It's got to be pretty blatent for most judges to deduct for it. And in those booths that they were using, I'll bet they weren't even hearing the horse as much as we were on tv.

Totally agree I'd rather have a small voice aid, than a gouging spur. The problem then comes from what is small... The next thing we'll have is riders yelling and grunting all through tests ALA Monica Seles tennis of the 90s.

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Aug. 3, 2012, 01:26 PM
Well I have to admit that watching dressage over the past two days was just a kick in the pants! I loved every second of it. I had some trouble predicting the scores it seemed, but it was fun watching so many "super stars" compete all in one place. Just had to gush for a second and stop and really appreciate the opportunity to watch the competition. I am so loving my sport right now! (Sorry, was that over the top?)

Lost_at_C
Aug. 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
Remarks from Charlotte Dujardin and Richard Davison:

http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/news/show/1507-day-two---grand-prix-part-2

I did think Artemis looked a bit tense but nowhere near what Richard describes... I'm sure that atmosphere affected many of the tests.

Cancara
Aug. 3, 2012, 01:32 PM
I was saddened by Parzival's test too, very unpleasant to watch. I don't think she let go of the curb rein once. I loved Ravel's soft expression and wonderful floppy ears!! Valegro was amazing, and deserved to be 1st.

I was swearing at that woman from the moment she came into the arena. She was dragging the horse's nose right into his chest and it looked horrendous. Never saw her ease up on his mouth from step one. 80% disgraceful. :mad:

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
Well I have to admit that watching dressage over the past two days was just a kick in the pants! I loved every second of it. I had some trouble predicting the scores it seemed, but it was fun watching so many "super stars" compete all in one place. Just had to gush for a second and stop and really appreciate the opportunity to watch the competition. I am so loving my sport right now! (Sorry, was that over the top?)

:)its been great! I'm starting to watch the replay now...educational to watch again knowing how the scoring went;)

I cant wait to see Valegro, Ravel, and Damon Hill again. And to :no::no: at the Dutch.

MsM
Aug. 3, 2012, 01:51 PM
Interesting how things change. Who would have thought ten years ago that the Germans would be riding more open and forward and the Dutch would be the Crankin' crew.

It would be nice if the judges would look at the socring of these cranked and confined horses and try to alter the directives or scoring so that it is penalized more. Many, many dressage enthusiasts do NOT want that to represent the pinnacle of the sport! Yet the judges universally rewarded those rides, so it may be that it works with the current scoring system. And unless something is changed it will continue. With the lovely horses performing and scoring well without this ugly, constrained appearance, it cannot be argued that it is what must be done to win.

I am afraid that there will be much politicking and once again they will decide that the judges were exactly right, the system is exactly right and all is well in dressageland...

yaya
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:03 PM
Replaying some rides on MSNBC right now. Can't believe they went to commercial in the middle of Gal's ride!

lovey1121
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:09 PM
I happen to be watching EG's ride on the mercifully mute replay. He could have done 12 2s with that teacup canter! Talented horse, though, despite the tension.

Velvet
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
Btw, I really like Judy the BBC commentator. Knowledgeable and kind, but not afraid to call it the way she sees it.

:yes:

grayarabpony
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
Just saw Valegro on TV -- LOVE that horse! What a nice test.

MsM
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:39 PM
So the team medals are awarded after the GPS. Are the scores averaged?

And then the individual medals are determined how?

They seem to change things every Olympics!

betonbill
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:47 PM
To my eye it seemed like the last Dutch rider had a terribly loose curb chain, since there was so much play in the angle of the bit. A tight one would have had a much steeper angle.

The horse also had thatlook like he might be like a steamroller to ride--not terribly pleasant.

Equibrit
Aug. 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
Kittel causing trouble again; http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=553759

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics2012/7631/313649.html

Amy Mathieson, H&H news writer
3 August, 2012

The FEI has moved to reassure people who have expressed concern about a photo of Swedish dressage rider Patrik Kittel warming up his horse in what appears to be a rollkur position.
The photo of Patrik and his horse, Scandic, was taken yesterday (Thursday 2 August).
The picture has caused online outbursts from dressage lovers calling it “disgusting” and calling for his disqualification.
But the FEI reassured fans on its Facebook page that its stewards were "monitoring" training sessions — and that single photos could be “misleading”.
A spokesman wrote: “Looking forward to top class dressage performances at the sensational Greenwich Park venue today.
“We are aware that there is concern about some training methods, but photographs can be misleading. Rest assured that our stewards are always there, on the ground, monitoring all training sessions.We’re on the case.”

dghunter
Aug. 3, 2012, 03:15 PM
I do hate that people will use one photo to make a point. I'm sure there could be some terrible pictures of all of us doing different things!

Weatherford
Aug. 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
Regarding the rider's voice/clucking/etc...

My husband and I also drive, and for driving dressage, your voice is one of your main aids and you are never marked down for using it during a test (within reason of course).

It's made me see what a wonderful aid it is and I think it's sad that it's not allowed in ridden dressage. You can finesse your ride with some simple voice aids--a soft whoa to back up a halt or a cluck to help a transition.

I can say it's lovely to watch driven dressage tests where people are telling their horses, "Good boy!" or "You've got it!", during a test. Makes for a much more positive experience for horse, driver, and spectators.

JMHO

Agree!!!

The voice is such a wonderful aid!

NOMIOMI1
Aug. 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
So funny about the Parzival comments.

I didnt see the entry so wasn't blinded by the entry and saw an extremely (almost impossibly) active hind and nice poll up ride. As did the judges ;)

The horse is obviously the most "dancing" one of the bunch if that matters.. in activity.

In person I am sure he is a pretty amazing beast.

Where the funny part comes in is because I would love to see some of the cothers enter that arena and avoid the giraffe their horses would turn into (if we could stay on long enough) wihout coming behind the verticle LOLOLOLOL.

There is NOTHING wrong with riding round right before hand right before your test. NOTHING.

I saw a lot more to like in dressage today !

JBCool
Aug. 3, 2012, 03:42 PM
Watching on replay, but:
I love Fuego and his rider! The smile on Juan's face just showed how proud he is of that horse and the way he waved to the crowd (blew someone a kiss!) seems like he was happy to have been able to please the crowd as much as the judges. That's the first I've seen them, but I think I'd actually like to meet Juan. :)

And Valegro's test took my breath away. SSOOO beautiful, I had tears in my eyes: it seemed like Valegro was more than just a horse. Definitely will be rooting for them!

RiverBendPol
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm an eventer and have been glued to the dressage coverage...You guys are amazing and if you really do get those horses to go the way they do and not via Rollkur, then I am thoroughly blown away! :) This morning I saw Charlotte Dujardin's test and pretty much sobbed my way through it! What a gorgeous symphony it was and she was so thrilled and loving of her horse it made my day.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:07 PM
NOMIOMI1--I'm going to follow you around and agree with you. I forwarded to Parzival's ride so I could see what they were talking about. I DID see the entrance. He was NOT cranked in. The reason the curb looks like that is the chain is so loose it is ineffective. The only reason he can open his mouth is because the noseband is loose enough.

Again, it seems a LOT of people commenting on this do not ride FEI, have not, and have not ridden hot horses. Sometimes you need to basically ride without a curb chain to make them happy, which is the ONLY way the curb can come back that far. The ONLY times I have gotten comments about curb too tight was when I had the chain so loose as to be ineffective.

I saw a LOVELY test with a relaxed, happy horse, poll high, swinging tail abd back,

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:09 PM
Regarding the voice aid - glad to see that I was not the only one who heard the whoa from Kittel. Thought maybe I was hearing things...

Very subtle (or not so subtle) voice aids are heard all over dressage tests. It's hard to remember not to, unless you never speak to your horse when riding, ever. And most judges tend to ignore, or at most make a comment in the remarks, a small slip. It's got to be pretty blatent for most judges to deduct for it. And in those booths that they were using, I'll bet they weren't even hearing the horse as much as we were on tv.

Totally agree I'd rather have a small voice aid, than a gouging spur. The problem then comes from what is small... The next thing we'll have is riders yelling and grunting all through tests ALA Monica Seles tennis of the 90s.

You can't have voice in Dressage, otherwise horses would just be taught to respond to voice cues and not proper aids. That is trick/circus riding not real riding.

TrinitySporthorses
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
I am one of Valegro's biggest fans but he looked OBESE today! I hate seeing fat dressage horses- they are athletes, people! How often do we compare dressage to ballet...have you ever seen a fat ballerina at the top of the sport?! No wonder he seemed to be missing a bit of his usual extreme lightness. His ride was very correct and he's still a phenomenal horse, but I am positive he would've scored higher if his weight wasn't fighting to keep him earthbound.

Frank B
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:22 PM
Those high-gain directional microphones they're using are picking up a lot more than the occasional "Mysterious Gwook"!

grayarabpony
Aug. 3, 2012, 04:44 PM
You can't have voice in Dressage, otherwise horses would just be taught to respond to voice cues and not proper aids. That is trick/circus riding not real riding.

Disagree, voice is just one aid.

War Admiral
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:05 PM

Hmmmm. The voice has been considered one of the "Natural Aids" for many centuries. Are we then in agreement that obedience to all the other natural aids - seat, legs, hands - constitutes "trick/circus riding"? And that only the "Unnatural Aids" (whips, spurs, LDR etc.) constitute "REAL dressage"? :cool:

RedmondDressage
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
Where the funny part comes in is because I would love to see some of the cothers enter that arena and avoid the giraffe their horses would turn into (if we could stay on long enough) wihout coming behind the verticle LOLOLOLOL.

There is NOTHING wrong with riding round right before hand right before your test. NOTHING.

I saw a lot more to like in dressage today!

THIS! You can comment any way you want about how the riders are handling their mounts but until you've ridden in competition on a horse with the fire to make it at that level (which for the record I have not :)) I don't think you really have any idea what they are dealing with.

I'm still working my way through the rides between meetings today... So far I am impressed (as usual) with the way Ed Gal handled his very fiery young horse. So steady, calm, and matter of fact - it was perfection.

Not Adrienne Lyle's best test but I am consistently impressed with her as a rider. She is just gorgeous and so elegant in the saddle. She is one of my favorite to watch and I'm sure will be a force as she gets more experience under her belt.

Lamb Chop
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:09 PM

If I saw great dressage produced via voice and not iron, I'd watch a heck of a lot more dressage.

Auburn
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:12 PM
Beentheredonethat and NOMIOMI1,

OK. So, you thought that Parzival's halt, with the rider trying and trying to get him to back, then getting six steps, instead of five, was correct? How do you believe that movement should have been scored?

Of course, I am not an FEI rider like you are, so I must know nothing. :eek:

FYI, there are many educated riders, who happen to have an educated eye, who happen to disagree with your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Auburn
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:14 PM
Beentheredonethat and NOMIOMI1,

OK. So, you thought that Parzival's halt, with the rider trying and trying to get him to back, then getting six steps, instead of five, was correct? How do you believe that movement should have been scored?

Of course, I am not an FEI rider like you are, so I must know nothing. :eek:

FYI, there are many educated riders, who happen to have an educated eye, who happen to disagree with your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

Mickey the Marcher
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:27 PM
If I saw great dressage produced via voice and not iron, I'd watch a heck of a lot more dressage.

Cool. Then you could put a monkey on the horse and have someone stand at the side of the ring and shout out commands.
That's not riding.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 3, 2012, 05:46 PM
Auburn--Chill out. Horse got stuck on the back up. I would have given it a 5. So? It happens.

I never said because you don't ride FEI, you know nothing. BUT, if you haven't, you don't know what things are like sometimes. For example, some people think the extended walk is a hard move because the horses are so "hyped up," when in fact it's usually the easiest one to get the horses to relax. Logically, thinking it would be hard makes sense. In reality, when you've ridden it, it's not true.

Um. I've said like 50 times everyone has their own OPINION. When you start to call things abuse, you'd better back it up. Like I SAID, our OPINION happens to coincide with the FEI judges. Go ahead and stick to you guns if you'd like.

And, I just watched Steffen go. IN my OPINION he got ripped on his ride. I thought it was at least as good as Charlotte's.

I'm watching Kittel on Scandic now. Looks like a lovely, relaxed ride with his nose more forward than most. I am pretty impressed the horse managed to poop and do half pass changes at the same time. And the Swedes gave him the foam finger! Well, foam HAND to be exact. WHERE are the Americans and their foam fingers??

OK, watching Eqwador now. WHat a cutie and lovely moves, but he looks like the Michelen man on steroids with a teeny, tiny head. Am I the only one thinking some of these horses have heads too small for their bodies?

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:26 PM
I am just now watching the replay of today and I have to say I love all the brown tack.

And the Spanish team's shadbellies.

This is my expert opinion so far.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
I agree TheHorse Problem. I like the grey shadbelly look. Now, if we could have different colored saddle pads!

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:40 PM
Dislikes so far are the microphone placement that makes the horses sound like walruses, and whoever brought their crying baby to a 6 hour dressage competition.

Gestalt
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:40 PM
I'm watching Kittel on Scandic now. Looks like a lovely, relaxed ride with his nose more forward than most. I am pretty impressed the horse managed to poop and do half pass changes at the same time. And the Swedes gave him the foam finger! Well, foam HAND to be exact. WHERE are the Americans and their foam fingers??

OK, watching Eqwador now. WHat a cutie and lovely moves, but he looks like the Michelen man on steroids with a teeny, tiny head. Am I the only one thinking some of these horses have heads too small for their bodies?

I've noticed the move to the arab/pony face in the WB world. Years ago it seemed like all the Quarterhorses had big, beautiful heads and now they too have itsy bitsy ones. I'm a lover of a horse with a big head and big ears.

That foam hand is cool. :cool:

RedMare01
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
Dislikes so far are the microphone placement that makes the horses sound like walruses, and whoever brought their crying baby to a 6 hour dressage competition.

Possibly the same people who brought their crying baby to WEG in 2010 and sat right next to me at the dressage freestyle. #*!\...*^#&...:mad: Seriously. Who in their right mind?

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:04 PM
I am one of Valegro's biggest fans but he looked OBESE today! I hate seeing fat dressage horses- they are athletes, people!

Valegro has a big engine, just like his father (Negro) and grandfather (Ferro). He's very strong across his loins and hindquarters. Neck is correctly muscled too. For his type, he looked balanced and in excellent shape; I saw little to no fat on him, just GP horse muscle.

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:09 PM
the FEI reassured fans.... “We are aware that there is concern about some training methods, but photographs can be misleading. Rest assured that our stewards are always there, on the ground, monitoring all training sessions.We’re on the case.”

Case ? Who said anything about a case ? :)
Seems after the FEI Reining Championships in Sweden/Epona tv
scandal that the FEI is taking no chances.

It wouldn't be a surprise if Kittel is warned.

NOMIOMI1
Aug. 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
Im all for Valegro but was so happy to see this one in there of Parzival in piaffe http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=37291

Could be lower but the head and neck to me it just was just a picture of correct :)

Canterwell
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:02 PM
BUT.... look at the curb angle on Parzival compared to almost every other horse in the slide show - almost parallel to the ground. Big contrast to Vallegro where the curb rein is almost loose.

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:07 PM
Auburn--Chill out. Horse got stuck on the back up. I would have given it a 5. So? It happens.

Parzival obviously has some mouth problems, and mouth problems are learned. No one can deny that. The bottom lip flapping, teeth grinding, and the open mouth throughout the test. It was clear to everyone. He also attempted to evade her strong hand as they walked into the arena and he ducked his head. It didn't work though.

I believe Auburn's point about the reinback is that had the contact been lighter/more forgiving, Parzival would have responded immeditately. He was leaning on her hand, again as a way to evade the heavy contact. I didn't see any other horse do that, even the very tense Undercover with Edward Gal, who rode with the horse BTV the entire test, albeit "tactfully and skillfully" as a another poster said earlier this morning.

Just MHO, it's unfortunate that Adelinde was rewarded with such a high score.
Sorry, there is no way that can be considered correct riding, no matter which discipline you ride.

NOMIOMI1
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:08 PM
Valegro is very earthbound compared to Parzival (not bad just different). It may take greater control to get through the Olympic venue.

I like that there is diversity there at the top. A very collected animal in the movements and a very active one.

The judges understand these things and are trained to look beyond a simple ability to have a looser shank.

People really need to use these world competitions to train their eye better (beyond American riding). Open their minds to better riding and training (cause it is).

I think they need to be very strict about RK as well, but every shank or entry that is overly round should not be put down with ignorance.

Mardi
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:13 PM
You make some interesting points and I value your opinion.

Where the shank is or isn't doesn't bother me too much (if at all).

It's what the horse is telling us that we should watch.

pony baloney
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:25 PM
I managed to catch almost all of the coverage today except Steffen's, when my internet pooped out on me.

What breed is Portugal's Rubi? Boy, that horse could sit back on his haunches. He was gorgeous and built like Fuego. Those horses look as if dressage comes more naturally to them.

The sponsors' logos are making everything look a bit tacky. Equestrian apparel is going the way of tennis where no one wears their whites anymore.

I agree that Parzival's warmup outside the arena was a bit difficult to watch.

fish
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:30 PM
Didn't get to see everyone go, but absolutely loved Uthopia and Painted Black. Valegro and Parzival may have had better tests, but I much prefer the movement and type of the other 2. Absolutely blown away by Uthopia's extensions and do hope they got 10's.

Doesn't hurt that everything I read about Carl Hester delights me, too! What a great representative of our sport! I'd love to see Steve Colbert take a few lessons from HIM!

Perfect Pony
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:56 PM
Just watched Parzival's go on my big screen, that was really painful to watch. "Ugly dressage" defined. Sad.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:47 PM
The last ride I watched on replay was Edward Gal's ride. All I could think was that there's something wrong with that horse. That canter was like no other, tense and almost like he was cantering in place. Some of his transitions were so rough it was like a bad training level ride. Flame me all you want, but the smile on Gal's face made me ill. Some of the other riders made mistakes or had trouble with the changes, and you could tell from their faces afterwards and the somber demeanor of their supporters that they knew they had blown it. Not Gal. That was a terrible ride that should have scored in the low 60's, but he was beaming.

It seems to me like the come to Jesus moment after the scoring in 2008 was for naught.

And I haven't watched Parzival yet.

J-Lu
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:06 PM
Just catching up on the rides. Fuego. How white is that tail? Great ride.

SnicklefritzG
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:12 PM
Fuego is awesome. I love that horse. If I could get 5 min. on any of the Olympic mounts it would be him.

J-Lu
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:18 PM
Valegro - great ride, don't think I ever noticed his front leg inward arc of travel before. Great ride, though.

Wooooot, Olympic GP record! WOW!

MLMcFaddenJD
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:33 PM
Isn't it interesting that the judges still value a horizontal piaffe to a true sitting piaffe as was demonstrated by Rubi - and true harmony, demonstrated by several pairs, which Parzival, IMO, didn't show. But when he walked out of the arena on a loose rein - and we got to see that he really does have a neck - one has to ask - is it so difficult to ride him without cramming him in the front? No wonder folks from other disciplines rail against "dressage"! Damon Hill was far more correct if not so flamboyant. Seems like you have to have a BIG, FLAMBOYANT horse to win at this game. Whether it's correct is entirely another matter.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 3, 2012, 11:39 PM
Didn't get to see everyone go, but absolutely loved Uthopia and Painted Black. Valegro and Parzival may have had better tests, but I much prefer the movement and type of the other 2. Absolutely blown away by Uthopia's extensions and do hope they got 10's.

Doesn't hurt that everything I read about Carl Hester delights me, too! What a great representative of our sport! I'd love to see Steve Colbert take a few lessons from HIM!

I don't know if you have the NBC coverage, but I noted this before on Utophia. They showed sloe mo of his extended trot after the ride, and his legs were clearly not parallel--the front legs moved before the back and higher. That's one of the problems with the big movers, not a good thing. I saw lots of other big extended trots where the legs were parallel.

J-Lu--I noticed that in Valegro's walk, too. He's pigeon toed. I wonder how that's going to affect long term soundness.

TheHorseProblem--my teacher friend. I think Gal was on a new, very energetic, tight horse in a new situation and did a super job with it. He is a master at taking super hot horses no one can ride and making it look easy.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 4, 2012, 01:02 AM
I want to take Rubi home in my pocket.

The Austrian rider Victoria Max-Theurer on Augustin had a loop on her curb rein the entire ride. I loved her ride and her horse.

thwartedequestrian
Aug. 4, 2012, 02:38 AM

THAT BABY! :mad:

this competition could do with some good commentary.

Cancara
Aug. 4, 2012, 03:30 AM
Not sure if this will work but

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w305c

Adelinde Cornelissen makes her entrance at 4.16.39.

Horse is hyperflexed from get go.

Skippity
Aug. 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
Can we access the scoring for each individual test movement anywhere? I'd like to see that; it would be quite educational.

Mardi
Aug. 4, 2012, 12:24 PM
this competition could do with some good commentary.

Have to say I'm really enjoying the no-commentary on the NBC live stream. I can hear the PA announcer, the jets landing at Heathrow, crowd applause, riders talking, horses sneezing, post-ride inspection chatter.... I feel more connected to it without a commentator talking over it.

just mho....

PrettyBayMare
Aug. 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
I want to take Rubi home in my pocket.

The Austrian rider Victoria Max-Theurer on Augustin had a loop on her curb rein the entire ride. I loved her ride and her horse.

I noticed that too and loved it. Good for her (and her horse).

grayarabpony
Aug. 4, 2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know if you have the NBC coverage, but I noted this before on Utophia. They showed sloe mo of his extended trot after the ride, and his legs were clearly not parallel--the front legs moved before the back and higher. That's one of the problems with the big movers, not a good thing. I saw lots of other big extended trots where the legs were parallel.

J-Lu--I noticed that in Valegro's walk, too. He's pigeon toed. I wonder how that's going to affect long term soundness.

TheHorseProblem--my teacher friend. I think Gal was on a new, very energetic, tight horse in a new situation and did a super job with it. He is a master at taking super hot horses no one can ride and making it look easy.

I'd be surprised if Valegro's being pigeon-toed affects his long term soundness, considering how well he carries himself.

fish
Aug. 4, 2012, 01:19 PM

I believe I read years ago in one of Hilary Clayton's articles that diagonal legs in the best extended trots will not be parallel or simultaneous in striking off (I think she said the hind will push off a bit before the front-- which is what I see in photos of my own best mover). I also believe I heard on the BBC coverage that Uthopia's extended trot has earned 10's. That seems about right to me!

P.S. I also wouldn't worry much about Valegro toeing in. Even racehorse people don't consider that a horrendous fault-- and racehorses are at a much greater risk of front end lameness than dressage horses whose training is, after all, entirely geared toward shifting weight bearing to the hind legs, lightening the front.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 4, 2012, 02:43 PM
Since I'm experiencing some show-jumping-day malaise, I rewatched Hester's ride repeatedly and in slow motion. I can confirm that in the first extended trot at least, the hind legs definitely land first. It's a bit tricky because the angle of the sun means that the forelegs are in shadow and the hind legs are not, and of course camera angles can always be deceiving. However, I did isolate at least three frames of hind hooves landed when front hooves were just barely aloft. As I'm such a geek I will now go back and look at the other trots in the same test... I should really get a life.

RiderWriter
Aug. 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
I had noticed watching Calecto's piaffe, that something seemed "different," but i didnt know what. Then I could see in the slo-mo that his hind toes dragged on the ground just a tiny bit before he picked them up. Judging from his very respectable score it's not a serious fault, but isn't it a fault? Don't you want equal action in the hinds?

quietann
Aug. 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'd be surprised if Valegro's being pigeon-toed affects his long term soundness, considering how well he carries himself.

Having some experience with the pigeon-toed horse, what I have heard from vets and others is that if the leg above the hoof is well-conformed, being pigeon-toed is not a big deal.

OTOH if the horse has offset cannon bones, big splints etc. that can be a problem. (ohhhh, yes it can. I speak from sad experience... :cry:)

ideayoda
Aug. 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
Riderwriter it IS a serious fault

And I love the mike by the flowers....you hear the GRATING of teeth (on half the horses), the sheaths sucking air in the tensed bellys, and the walrus sound is the compressed throatlatches and attempting to inhale. I will bet they are NEVER put next to the ring again, it falls under give the publc TMI about what is really happening. Those which are properly ifv are quiet, you only hear soft breathing.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 4, 2012, 08:11 PM
Since I'm experiencing some show-jumping-day malaise, I rewatched Hester's ride repeatedly and in slow motion. I can confirm that in the first extended trot at least, the hind legs definitely land first. It's a bit tricky because the angle of the sun means that the forelegs are in shadow and the hind legs are not, and of course camera angles can always be deceiving. However, I did isolate at least three frames of hind hooves landed when front hooves were just barely aloft. As I'm such a geek I will now go back and look at the other trots in the same test... I should really get a life.

I didn't see it on slo moing myself. If you have the MBC coverage they do some slo mo of moves after each ride. That's where I saw it. It's VERY clear. It's not just the hind feet landing first, it's also that they were NOT diagonal with the front feet, and in fact following behind the front feet. Interesting if he does this regularly that he gets 10's because it IS incorrect and used to be called toe-flipping and was almost always knocked down.

Briar was like that (love him.) He had an "impressive" trot until you looked at the hind end and noticed that it was not moving parallelly (OK, wrong word--tired, just got back from a show) to the front.

fish
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:06 PM
I didn't see it on slo moing myself. If you have the MBC coverage they do some slo mo of moves after each ride. That's where I saw it. It's VERY clear. It's not just the hind feet landing first, it's also that they were NOT diagonal with the front feet, and in fact following behind the front feet. Interesting if he does this regularly that he gets 10's because it IS incorrect and used to be called toe-flipping and was almost always knocked down.

Briar was like that (love him.) He had an "impressive" trot until you looked at the hind end and noticed that it was not moving parallelly (OK, wrong word--tired, just got back from a show) to the front.

It is NOT "incorrect," and Uthopia is definitely NOT a toe-flipper. The hind feet landing first is the result of collection and activity which increase the push, raise the forehand and earn those 10's. Watch this horse: his toes do not "flip." The entire forehand is raised as the hind legs push so the front feet barely touch the ground, towards which the toes consistently point. Toe-flippers flip the toes UP, while the hind legs trail instead of landing first and pushing. They're not the ones who get 10's. The judges giving Uthopia those 10's know what they're seeing, and it sure the H___ isn't "toe-flipping!"

ShannonLee
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
Dressage is a sport ideayoda, and doing a GP test is the ultimate of the sport. Would you have the horses not breathe? Goodness knows no other athletes at the Olympics need to breathe heavily to get the oxygen needed to compete for a gold medal....

SaddleFitterVA
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:57 PM
Riderwriter it IS a serious fault

And I love the mike by the flowers....you hear the GRATING of teeth (on half the horses), the sheaths sucking air in the tensed bellys, and the walrus sound is the compressed throatlatches and attempting to inhale. I will bet they are NEVER put next to the ring again, it falls under give the publc TMI about what is really happening. Those which are properly ifv are quiet, you only hear soft breathing.

On the sheaths sucking in air...I've never noticed any association with tension. If anything, there seems to be more "gelding noise" when they are more relaxed.

I'll pay more attention to this in the future for further observations.

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:00 AM
It is NOT "incorrect," and Uthopia is definitely NOT a toe-flipper. The hind feet landing first is the result of collection and activity which increase the push, raise the forehand and earn those 10's. Watch this horse: his toes do not "flip." The entire forehand is raised as the hind legs push so the front feet barely touch the ground, towards which the toes consistently point. Toe-flippers flip the toes UP, while the hind legs trail instead of landing first and pushing. They're not the ones who get 10's. The judges giving Uthopia those 10's know what they're seeing, and it sure the H___ isn't "toe-flipping!"

I'm tired from a show. I meant to say "like" toe flipping. The diagonal legs not being parallel IS a problem. I do not know if Uthophia does this all of the time, but in the slow mo I saw he was not even close to parallel. I did not say the hind feet were landing first--they were lagging, so leaving the ground AFTER the front feet and hitting the ground while before the front feet--taking shorter strides behind, not in front.

TrinitySporthorses
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:21 AM
On the sheaths sucking in air...I've never noticed any association with tension. If anything, there seems to be more "gelding noise" when they are more relaxed.

I'll pay more attention to this in the future for further observations.

It is noticeably correlated in my gelding, FWIW

TrinitySporthorses
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:24 AM
Valegro is very earthbound compared to Parzival (not bad just different).

But when I first fell in love with Valegro 2 years ago, he was no where near the way he is now. I was so impressed with his lightness and "springy-ness."
I have no problem with big engines and muscular physiques but I maintain that he had a lot of flab, which was particularly evident in the collected work and the slow mo's.

For those who are discussing the diagonal pairing of legs at the trot: the hindleg SHOULD land moments before the opposite front when watching slo-mo trot work. It means the horse is taking more weight on the hind end (thus making him uphill and more powerful- which is what we want!). There is even a NAME for this phenomenon: DAP, or Diagonal Advanced Placement. It can be positive (meaning hindleg strikes first) or negative (foreleg first).
Any horse that naturally lands foreleg first is no upper level dressage candidate as it means he is very on the forehand. I look at all my young horses frame by frame when I am making sales video or taking pictures and it is natural for them to have positive DAP.

TrinitySporthorses
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:25 AM
Have to say I'm really enjoying the no-commentary on the NBC live stream. I can hear the PA announcer, the jets landing at Heathrow, crowd applause, riders talking, horses sneezing, post-ride inspection chatter.... I feel more connected to it without a commentator talking over it.

just mho....

I totally agree :yes:

Mad Mare
Aug. 5, 2012, 12:52 AM
Dressage is a sport ideayoda, and doing a GP test is the ultimate of the sport. Would you have the horses not breathe? Goodness knows no other athletes at the Olympics need to breathe heavily to get the oxygen needed to compete for a gold medal....

Her point is that they *can't* breathe, because they are being compressed at the throatlatch. The ones that aren't compressed as much breathe much more quietly.

Eileen

Beentheredonethat
Aug. 5, 2012, 01:17 AM
I'm tired from a show. I meant to say "like" toe flipping. The diagonal legs not being parallel IS a problem. I do not know if Uthophia does this all of the time, but in the slow mo I saw he was not even close to parallel. I did not say the hind feet were landing first--they were lagging, so leaving the ground AFTER the front feet and hitting the ground while before the front feet--taking shorter strides behind, not in front.

I did NOT say the hind leg landing first was incorrect, I said the hind leg LAGGING and not being parallel was incorrect. I know what DAP is. Of course, when I go to try to find day 1 of dressage to find the minute marker where you can see this on the NBC site, day 1 of dressage is the only one I can't find. Argh. Stuff just blinks in and out on that site all of the time.

As for breathing, pshaw. I couldn't crank my mare's neck in like that with a winch, but she sounds like a train ALL of the time, ESPECIALLY when she is relaxed and walking. I call BS that a correct horse breathes "more quietly." When I listened to two days of dressage, it sounded like most of those horses were choo chooing along.

Crockpot
Aug. 5, 2012, 09:13 AM
So much negativity here.

The judges were apparently impressed with the quality of horses and riders,for example

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2012/08/05/maribel-alonso-place-b

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2012/08/04/presidential-view-olympic-grand-prix

But they are always wrong -BiG sigh-and should consult the forum experts!

Meanwhile in the peanut gallery, top horses are too fat, pigeon-toed,and because of incorrect riding and training are suffocating and have incorrect gaits.

Glass is always half empty in the peanut gallery.

Lost_at_C
Aug. 5, 2012, 02:25 PM
What Fish and Crockpot said. Maybe I should stick to talking to myself about the dressage rides.