PDA

View Full Version : approx cost of barn with large apt above in new england?

suz
Aug. 2, 2012, 09:23 PM
i'd need a 3 bdrm apt over barn/storage space.
think it could be done for under 75k?
we'll probably build on a slab; the road and power are in, plus approved septic design and all permits ready to go.
i'd be good with modular or kit or whatever is well built and well priced.
any suggestions?

SMF11
Aug. 2, 2012, 09:28 PM
That would be much, much more expensive near me -- taking a wild guess, I'd say over $300,000. But there's New England and then there's New England -- I'm 2 miles over the CT border and 100 miles north of NYC. If you are in northern Maine, the prices must be closer to what you are expecting!

Good luck!

Marshfield
Aug. 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
Check out Barn Pro for some ideas. You could get a barn with 1200 square feet apartment in that range. 95k for 1700 square feet.

LittleblackMorgan
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:02 PM
Putting an apt over a barn is going to be tough with the fire code, at least in mass

nightsong
Aug. 3, 2012, 03:15 AM
You have checked with zoning, permits, setbacks, etc. to make sure it's legally allowed?

fivehorses
Aug. 3, 2012, 08:53 AM
also insurance...very difficult to obtain insurance in new england for this kind of building.
Price wise, I think your budget is very low, unless you are looking for the shell.
expect at least 20 per sq foot for a shell only..no stalls, no electric,etc no rooms in apt, etc

goodhors
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:03 PM
I know some folks that put a modular home, doublewide, on the side of their barn, which came out fairly cheap. AND they had none of the issues of dirt and smell you can't escape that happen over stalls. There was an enclosed porch/airlock area between barn and house, so that trapped most dirt and smell, before going into the living area.

Not sure if you are trying to save footage on the ground for taxes, or other reasons. Just that living upstairs for a long time can wear on you.

Friend has been extremely happy with her setup all on one level. She is not having to deal with stairs for EVERY little thing you want out of the house or forgot when you came down. Same with not having to haul everything UP the stairs like groceries. Also easier on the dogs who follow her around all day, not having to do stairs a lot.

This might be an idea for reasons you had not considered.

MistyBlue
Aug. 3, 2012, 06:10 PM
Yup, depends on what part of NE. I'm in south central CT...my 24x40 modular barn without a loft was almost 40k soup to nuts. (grading and drainage was a huge expense) The building only was $17,650. But adding delivery, taxes, set up, electric, plumbing, foundation, grading, flooring, interior finish work and stall kits more than doubled it.

suz
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:49 PM
mistlyblue i'd love that price!
the property we looked at is in chittenden county, so the pricier side of the state i'm afraid.
it would be sweet if we could swing it!

Ambitious Kate
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:42 AM
What state?

Ambitious Kate
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:47 AM
Yes, it does look like these people have what you are looking for:

http://www.barnpros.com/products/apartment/index.html

AiryFairy
Aug. 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
I used to live in an apartment built onto the side of a 250 yo barn (in NH). Insurance was dicey, they wanted to make sure there was no hay stored on the property, (at that time it was only there seasonally), and the auto alert hard wired security/fire alarm worked in my favor to get renter's insurance. Then they started asking "what kind of dog do you have", fortunately for me, not a pit bull or a dobie...

baylady7
Aug. 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
also you need to factor in the cost of a septic system or sewage connection, which could be $15K or higher in that area.

MistyBlue
Aug. 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
mistlyblue i'd love that price!
the property we looked at is in chittenden county, so the pricier side of the state i'm afraid.
it would be sweet if we could swing it!

I would too if it included living quarters. That's for a basic 24x40 4 stall barn. No loft. No overhangs. No living area.

As mentioned, adding septic and well is pricey. Then there's the necessary firewalls, vapor barriers, etc needed to add a legal living space. And then the cost of the living space...insulation, drywall, extra electrical and plumbing and all that boring stuff before you start putting in flooring and trim and and doors and cabinets and bathroom fixtures and kitchen appliances.

But do call a few places and ask for a rough guestimate on the building and finish work without the land, prep, foundation and utilities. That'll at least give you a base to work from. Barn Pros should be able to give you a price psf.