PDA

View Full Version : barn clothes for hot weather?

grayarabpony
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't like to wear shorts when outside working because of the bugs and sunburn (have to apply enough sunscreen already) and I find jeans to be too hot. Leggings work but the last 2 pair I got from Old Navy were too fuzzy for really hot weather. Any suggestions on wear to buy cool leggings or other pants for hot weather?

Leather
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:35 AM
Check out the Champion leggings at Target. I have some Double Dry leggings for working out and they are great.

wsmoak
Aug. 2, 2012, 11:45 AM
Sometimes you can find thin, slightly stretchy jeans that aren't quite so hot.

Otherwise, as Leather said, look in the athletic departments for Champion, Danskin, etc. type leggings that wick sweat and dry quickly.

The gold standard is Under Armour, but those will be very pricey unless you can find them on sale.

grayarabpony
Aug. 2, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks!

2ndyrgal
Aug. 2, 2012, 03:54 PM
And light weight.

I wear loose cotton shorts, loose cotton t-shirt
In the sun or hay, long, lightweight cargo type pants from Dicks.

Stuff for summer hiking works well.

Not cheap, but lasts forever. Unlined cotton bras are your friend. As loose as you can stand and still be presentable.

Hinderella
Aug. 2, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cotton scrubs (like hospital pants) are good. They're lightweight and loose. For riding, I've been using light cotton blouses, as they dry almost instantly and keep you cool.
You can probably find scrubs that are good enough for the barn at Goodwill.

lily04
Aug. 2, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ditto scrubs. I also have a couple of lightweight jumpsuits from a vet supply catalog. I throw chaps on over the jumpsuit to ride.

carolprudm
Aug. 2, 2012, 05:56 PM
I've been wearing cotton knit yoga pants

Hippolyta
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:00 AM
hay with most leggings = no fun. are there any that prevent the poke through?

I used to think cotton for tshirts, but this summer I got a bunch of wicking tshirts (Champion at Target) for about 10-20$ each.

I have had wicking clothes b/f, but they were so pricey I wouldn't wear them to barn. The ones from Target are fantastic for the price & they fit nicely, too.

Either way, they really feel much better than cotton & I def. stay cooler

When haying, a sun shirt (can get one from REI or similar) is must & worth the money.

Hippolyta
Aug. 3, 2012, 12:01 AM
Anyone know of a lighter weight or wicking baseball cap?

Mine are all heavy cotton (& have nice sweat marks)

2ndyrgal
Aug. 3, 2012, 09:57 AM
not hot, keeps your hair out of your face, sweat out of your eyes and fits under a helmet.

JB
Aug. 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
I wish I knew where I got my pants, but they are like parachute material, only not quite, just that they are light and airy and SO not form fitting. They have a zipper lower leg for getting over shoes, and are loose at the bottom, not with an elastic ankle. I am fairly certain they were in the boy's department somewhere LOL Elastic waste band too. The tent-ness of the legs keeps me MUCH cooler than ANYthing form-fitting. They're like a cargo pant, but *thin*. I sooooo wish I'd gotten a few pair when I found these, as I cannot find anything like them now :( :( They don't stick to sweaty legs, and when they do get wet, they dry quickly which helps with the cool factor

On top, I usually wear a sports bra, or a thin tank top, and a sunscreen shirt (http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/17400) (mine are from Sun Precautions, but so many folks have good ones for cheaper these days, there was a nice long thread here recently). And I wear a Sun Precautions wide-brim (4") hat (http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/47000)as well. If I'm mowing I use a baseball-type hat with a big neck/face cover (http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/48100)

I cover up. Not just because it's better sun protection, but it's COOLER. I ended up having to do some work outside last weekend, 95*, without my shirt or hat, and while I slathered and sprayed on the sunscreen, I was so much hotter with less clothing on LOL