PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff badger thread and rabies

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:00 PM
I live in NW Pennsylvania and we have a pretty serious threat of rabies in our area.

So, rabies is one vacc I don't skip on each year.

From the other thread, apparently rabies vaccines are not commonly administered in all parts of the US.

What area do you live in and do you routinely vaccinate for rabies?

Bluey
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:05 PM
TX panhandle. We had a horse infected last fall and about 30 people had to get shots because of it.

We have a problem with skunks and coons and too many people not vaccinating their cats and dogs.

With the severe drought, more wildlife came to towns and yards and that is why last year we had more cases than normal.

We have been vaccinating for rabies for many years, too serious to take chances.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:07 PM
We have large tracts of forested land, which of course, harbor the dreaded 'coons/skunks/small mammals that are vector species.

I agree (depending on location of course) that rabies is far too serious a threat to let my domestic pets go unvaccinated or my horses since they are out on pasture at night and even when kept indoors, who knows what comes visiting after dark.

Wayside
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'm in Southern Wisconsin, and I vaccinate all my animals. Horses and sheep get the rabies vaccine annually, the dog and the cats are on the 3-year rotation, if I recall correctly.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm in Southern Wisconsin, and I vaccinate all my animals. Horses and sheep get the rabies vaccine annually, the dog and the cats are on the 3-year rotation, if I recall correctly.

that is the rotation I am on as well.

HPFarmette
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:12 PM
Western New York, every year. Had a very scary raccoon near my barn at one point. Not afraid of my dogs. Just sat there by the pine tree and one dog went at him, dog got bit. Threw the dog in the house and called animal control to come and deal with the raccoon, no luck. Reason why I'd like to have a gun. Raccoon proceeded to go into barn, into barnyard and then started coming towards ME. At that point I departed, bathed the dog and got him a booster shot (horses were out in the pasture). Raccoon took off who knows where.....Am aware of one positive feral kitten, and several foxes......

Simkie
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:24 PM
Northern Colorado, and last year was the FIRST year I ever vaccinated my horses for rabies. It just wasn't a threat previously, and no vet I ever used carried the vaccine or recommended it.

Things have changed now. Colorado saw a terrestrial reservoir of rabies for the first time last year, in the south part of the state. Now we're popping rabid skunks all over the place.

Hippolyta
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Northern Colorado, and last year was the FIRST year I ever vaccinated my horses for rabies. It just wasn't a threat previously, and no vet I ever used carried the vaccine or recommended it.

Things have changed now. Colorado saw a terrestrial reservoir of rabies for the first time last year, in the south part of the state. Now we're popping rabid skunks all over the place.

CT was rabies-free for a long time, once it hit we had the same thing. The populations of vectors was initially so high, there were raccoons & skunks w/ rabies all over the place.

It has since settled down. Scary.

A lot of states have regulations (maybe all?) that rabies vac should only be administered by a vet. If you have an animal that has been exposed, & you don't have accurate record of valid vaccination, animal has to be under surveillance or quarantine. If said animal then bites/scratches human, then it is destroyed for testing (rabies test requires this).

I had a friend with a dog that killed a skunk. Vaccination for dog was out of date. Skunk tested + for rabies. Dog was under surv. when he scratched friend's dad. He had to be destroyed for the test

very, very sad (and scary!)

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
A lot of states have regulations (maybe all?) that rabies vac should only be administered by a vet.

PA regs state that small animals must be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian (tho I know one person who vaccinates for herself and keeps the bottle/reciept). For large animals, it is not required.

That said, paying a barn call fee and for the vaccine to have a certificate is a small price to pay in my estimation.

MistyBlue
Jul. 31, 2012, 06:56 PM
Large animals - annual
Small animals - 3 year

I'm in CT, and to keep your animals from being seized and/or destroyed to test in case they bite anyone the vaccine MUST be administered by a licensed vet.

You can do the vaccine yourself, it's not illegal to buy or give it. But your word or receipts don't count if there's any issues. Understandably.

Also with dogs, you can't license without the proof of vaccine from the vet.

There was a badger thread?

JackieBlue
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Keeping the bottle and receipt won't do squat to help your friend if her animals' vaccination status is ever in question. All that proves is that she bought a vial of rabies vaccine and she also has an empty vial in her possession. No proof whatsoever that it made into the right tissue of the right animal in the proper time frame from when vax status came into question.
I'm in central VA and every animal I own is vaccinated for rabies. Well, except for the hermit crabs. ;-) Even my vaccine reactor Dutch Warmblood gets his annual rabies vaccine with his usual side of steroids and antihistamines. Heck, I get my rabies vac, too.
I also have myself and my daughter vaccinated for tetanus every 5overbearing years instead of every 10 since we're the 2 in the family who horse around. Anyone else step up their tetanus vax frequency?

Bluey
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have been getting tetanus every ten years on the dot, all my life.
Working with horses is mandatory.

Just got one again this year, as the vaccine booster for me falls in the ---2 year, as this one.:yes:

I am not sure it is necessary any more often, read some studies where soldiers from WWII were still protected after 30 years without boosters.

Calvincrowe
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:30 PM
Here in WA, we do not vaccinate our horses/livestock vs. rabies, have never had a vet even recommend it in 30 years of horse ownership. Dogs and cats--every 3 years by law. Rabies vax must be administered by a vet and they hold a record of it, as does the owner in WA. Only way to legally vax v. rabies.

Our infection/reporting rates for rabies in wildlife is remarkably low--Oregon had 20 some cases reported in wildlife last year (fox, coyote, bat being the 3 main victims).

For us, rabies is less of a threat to our horses than say, West Nile and the like. Potomac is almost unheard of here, too, as is Lyme. (I've only seen a handful of ticks on a dog and never on a horse here in western WA).

This is a big country with a huge variation in diseases and wildlife as well as climate, all of which contribute to what, when and how you vaccinate.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:52 PM
Mistyblue and Jackieblue, I did tell her that it would not hold up if one of her dogs got into trouble. I don't know if she still does it herself or not.

For me and mine, we go to the vet for it. As I stated, it is a small price to pay for the security of knowing the animal is protected.

leaf
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:55 PM
Of course we vacccinate, everybody, every time they're due. Horses, goats, dogs, cats, and me. (I work for a small animal vet, it comes with the job). Oh dear, I've experienced too many stories about wildlife and family pets. They're just stupid, the owners, for not getting the vaccine. It's insisted upon here in Va, but way out in Oregon-not so much? Not calling you stupid, Calvincrowe :) , (proud member of don't kill unless you absolutely must clique). Rabies is a big deal here, skunks, racoons, bats, and CATS are the typical carriers.
Vaccinate so you don't have to run screaming, with killing on your mind, if you see wildlife.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:55 PM
Calvincrowe, you are fortunate not to have the rabies problem we do. I hope that it never pops up in your area like it did for Hippolyta.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 07:57 PM
Leaf that was uncalled for. I'm asking for what is both traditional and what is required in different areas of the country. Don't make this an inflammatory thread. Take that back to the badger thread.

leaf
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:10 PM
Threedogpack,
I truly did not mean to inflame, I'm sorry. The point I was trying to make, poorly worded, was to vaccinate. Here in Va. we vaccinate every three years for our adult dogs and cats. It's required by law. We vaccinate our livestock every year, that's the recommendation. You're close by in Pa. so you know of the very real threat of rabies. I'm exposed to companion animals on a daily basis. There's no excuse for not having a vaccine when it's required by law for companion animals, and not very common-sensical for we owners of livestock.
Calvincrowe lives waay out in Oregon. They don't have to vaccinate their livestock. They have a lower incidence than we do here in the east.

I've seen people have an inclination, here in Va, to over- react to wildlife encounters. Shoot to kill, any wildlife they happen to see.
Rabies is threat here it's true. But vaccinate so you have less to worry about.
Seems to me that you and I are on the same page.

threedogpack
Jul. 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
Leaf, I apologize if I misunderstood.

Absolutely vaccinate. In PA, it is suggested to vaccinate livestock yearly, mandatory 3 year rabies for domestic house pets.

We aren't required to vaccinate livestock but considering how common it is for us, it would be foolish not to. I was pretty shocked when I had the vet out for innoculations 2 weeks ago and he didn't want to give me a certificate. I went to the office and got them for our 4 horses.

As another spin off....my vet charged me $70 per horse for a 5 way, what do the others on this list pay?

Calvincrowe
Jul. 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Three- yeah, that sounds about right for the 5-way I had done this spring. I have a closed herd of two retired horses at home, so I don't do strangles. WNV is the biggie for me--we have had a horrible year of mosquitoes, horror film worthy clouds of them:mad:. My pastures are lush, because the boys can't go out, they are eaten alive even wearing full fly sheets/neck covers and I spray them with Off! for people. Sigh.

I know some folks are beginning to vax for rabies in their horses...but I did it once and my old boy had a horrible reaction, so he goes without. And I don't really worry, even though my barn seems to house a jillion bats:lol::eek:.

starrunner
Jul. 31, 2012, 11:29 PM
I am now in Wisconsin. Horses done annually. Cat/dog done every 3 years. I am also vaccinated. ;)

I was in Southern Oregon before. Everything is also vaccinated. Same schedule, same veterinary suggestions.

Calvincrowe
Jul. 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
Starrunner--I think southern OR is the only part of the PNW where rabies is slightly more prevalent than elsewhere here, so it makes sense. I think Josephine County had the highest incidence of rabies (out of 20 cases in wildlife)

The PNW is considered free of terrestrial rabies. Bats are the vector to other animals (10% of bats test positive for it).

I'm going to err on fewer vaccines in this case--when the state vets tell me to vax my horses, I will. So far, it is dogs/cats every 3 years. But, I think horse owners need to do what makes them comfortable and keeps their horses safe, so I'd never tell someone to not vaccinate against rabies.

red mares
Aug. 1, 2012, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=JackieBlue;6470254I'm in central VA and every animal I own is vaccinated for rabies. Well, except for the hermit crabs. ;-) Even my vaccine reactor Dutch Warmblood gets his annual rabies vaccine with his usual side of steroids and antihistamines. [/QUOTE]

Jackie - curious about how this works. I always have a problem scheduling my cat's rabies shots since they are on steroids for asthma. The vet won't give steroids for at least 6 weeks after a rabies shot or vice versa. The other vaccines are not a problem, but they are adament about the rabies vac.

Mosey_2003
Aug. 1, 2012, 08:43 AM
I do rabies yearly. And tetanus, and that's about it. I have a 19 yo that's been vaccinated all his life and he's not exposed to strange equines, nor are there any close enough for a mosquito to bite and then fly over. We do have a number of little woodland creatures though.

oliverreed
Aug. 1, 2012, 08:54 AM
I vaccinate all indoor cats and horse for rabies (and various other vaccines for horse as well). I don't think we are required to vaccinate horse but I would not dream of not doing it. And I believe that if cat/dog is not up to date on vaccine and gets bitten by animal that tests positive, pet must be destroyed, period. (MA law).

JackieBlue
Aug. 1, 2012, 10:02 AM
Jackie - curious about how this works. I always have a problem scheduling my cat's rabies shots since they are on steroids for asthma. The vet won't give steroids for at least 6 weeks after a rabies shot or vice versa. The other vaccines are not a problem, but they are adament about the rabies vac.

Steroids can affect the immune response to an antigen (i.e. vaccine), meaning they may impact vaccine efficacy negatively. State laws regarding horses and cats and rabies vaccination are very different. But even if they were the same, in my horse's case I would never risk vaccinating him with anything without his precautionary drugs. He's had naphylactic reactions to 2 different vaccines and be above ground without the swift administration of epinnephrine and supportive care. I don't see much point in killing him with a vaccine to try tosomething avoid killing him with a disease.
Now, if he were on steroids long term for general allergies and didn't have his vaccine reaction history? I would absolutely discontinue the steroids prior to vaccination.

wendy
Aug. 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
rabies is such a nasty thing that I would vaccinate even if it's not required by law. Especially horses- in horses, they don't show the kind of symptoms you expect, instead they just get kind of lethargic. And if you get their saliva on you, and have any breaks your skin, you (or your child or your dog) can catch it. I don't know about you, but it's hard for me to handle a horse without getting any saliva on me-you have to touch the bit, you often get a friendly slobber/nose shove, and who doesn't go around with minor cuts and scratches in their skin?
Once you get infected with rabies you die. Horribly. No cure.
Horses usually catch rabies from infected skunks, so if you have skunks around, it's always a potential risk.
I doubt you really need a booster shot every single year, but it's certainly worthwhile to do the initial series with all mammals that you own.

Wayside
Aug. 1, 2012, 11:21 AM
rabies is such a nasty thing that I would vaccinate even if it's not required by law. Especially horses- in horses, they don't show the kind of symptoms you expect, instead they just get kind of lethargic. And if you get their saliva on you, and have any breaks your skin, you (or your child or your dog) can catch it.

Yes, it's not always the animals that you usually think of that can give you rabies. One of the most common ways for people to get exposed to rabies is from cows. They often salivate excessively, the same way they do when choking, and when the farmer/vet tries to check for and/or clear the possible obstruction, there isn't one, and they've got infected saliva all over themselves.

And as people have mentioned, it's a horrible deadly disease, so I'm not taking any chances.

threedogpack
Aug. 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
I doubt you really need a booster shot every single year, but it's certainly worthwhile to do the initial series with all mammals that you own.

I asked the vet why yearly for livestock and not every 3 as with dogs/cats. He told me there have not been enough studies done to confirm immunity for 3 years.

Schrödinger
Aug. 1, 2012, 02:27 PM
FWIW the state DVM in Oregon recommends vaccinating horses for rabies due to the increased prevalence of rabies + animals.

PeteyPie
Aug. 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm in Southern California. My vets give me a funny look when I ask for rabies for the horses; apparently it's not common here (with horses -- it's mandatory for dogs.) I had the vet come out a few weeks ago about an abscess. Two horses were two months late for their vaccines and the other two were three months early. So we decided to vaccinate them all that day so that I could get them on the same schedule. Since it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, he only had vaccines he normally uses, no rabies. I will have them done next visit.

The short answer is that NORMALLY I vaccinate for rabies every year, but the vet thinks it is not necessary. I asked him if he had ever had a case of equine rabies and he said he had not. The few people I have talked to regarding this issue had never vaccinated their horses for rabies. It surprises me because there are so many wild mammals here: coyotes, opossums, bunnies and squirrels (okay, not normal vectors...), bats, rats, skunks, wild cats, stray dogs, bobcats, cougars...

Canaqua
Aug. 1, 2012, 02:48 PM
Massachusetts, NW of Boston. Dogs and cats are on three year vaccine, horse annual.

There IS rabies around. There was a human case in Mass in December, presumably caught from bats. Protocol is now for humans to get prophylaxis if they wake up to a bat in their room or come in direct contact with one. We had a close call recently...bat came in juuust as I was drifting off to sleep, so I heard it come in and left the room knowing there'd been know physical contact...otherwise it would have been vaccine fun and games for me too!