PDA

View Full Version : Need telephone poles or similiar for arena lighting in Frederick MD area

springplainsfarm
Jul. 30, 2012, 06:49 PM
Plan is to have outdoor arena lights up by this November!

Need some telephone poles or light poles to make this happen. Anyone know where to get them? Have been watching Craigslist without much luck.

Thanks!

walknsound
Jul. 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
I don't know anything about the area. but if there are any electric cooperatives around they may sell used light poles. Of course they serve rural areas, don't know if you're close to any rural areas. Our electric coop sells the used light poles in lots once a year, they are put up for bid. Don't know how much they usually go for, but I'm sure pretty reasonable.

springplainsfarm
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:55 PM
I don't know anything about the area. but if there are any electric cooperatives around they may sell used light poles. Of course they serve rural areas, don't know if you're close to any rural areas. Our electric coop sells the used light poles in lots once a year, they are put up for bid. Don't know how much they usually go for, but I'm sure pretty reasonable.

THanks! I called Potomac Edison with no information. I will try and stop by field office and maybe the locals will have better info for me.

goodhors
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
You might also check with a pole barn company, see what they use for poles or if they could order some in for your needs. You might pay them to install those poles, since they have the trucks and equipment to do that.

My utility company did not ever sell old poles. Liability factor involved the Company didn't want to ever have to deal with later on. We had our old poles picked up and disposed of by the Vendor we purchased them from, as part of the contractual agreement.

walknsound
Aug. 1, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hope you find some.

kathy s.
Aug. 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
Our electric coop gives them to customers at no charge and will cut them to the length you need. They will also load them for you. We used them to build our barn and around the perimeter of the arena to keep the footing in.

Hope you find what you need.

Valentina_32926
Aug. 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
My husband actually found a fiberglass pole for ours (local vendor) - it was broken at the bottom (part that gets buried) yet still plenty long eought to get enough in the ground for stability and remain tall enough to support the lights.

Got it for practically nothing. :cool:

Frank B
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
Check with a large electrical contractor and see if they can get either short utility poles or 6"X8" pressure treated timbers. The stable where I used to board purchased 25' ones and set them about 5' in the ground. If you don't have a power auger, the contractor can also set the poles for you.

According to our local electrical contractor, burial depth should be 2' plus 10% of total pole length. This will vary with the type of soil.

Marla 100
Aug. 4, 2012, 10:32 AM
Most utility companies subcontract the pole work to smaller companies who install new poles and remove used ones. If you can ask around and find out who the subcontractor is for the work, they usually have a yard where they park and store their equipment and store the poles, used and new. Some poles are free, some up to $100. each.