PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question- Where do you go to wash a trailer if your barn's setup isn't ideal?

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
Dumb Question- Where do you go to wash a trailer if your barn's setup isn't ideal?

Love my current barn but the layout makes it impossible to wash my trailer there. There's no spigot/hose anywhere NEAR where the trailers park and doing it anywhere else would block the driveway for everyone else coming in/out.

Are there friendly public places where you can (I'm happy to pay) use a hose in a big open space? I can't think of a place like that!?

JB
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:12 AM
Around here, some of the car washes have big wide/tall bays, with the hose on a boom so you can go over and around taller vehicles.

So yes, you pay the machines, and you get creative in how you soap and rinse things before running out of ALL your money LOL

ChocoMare
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Truck stop ;)

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
There is a tractor trailer style truck wash not far from my house, maybe a 10 minute drive. Those things are AWESOME! YOu just drive in like you do a regular car wash, truck & trailer, and it washes it for you. Cost me about $25.00 for truck and trailer wash.

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
There is a tractor trailer style truck wash not far from my house, maybe a 10 minute drive. Those things are AWESOME! YOu just drive in like you do a regular car wash, truck & trailer, and it washes it for you. Cost me about $25.00 for truck and trailer wash.

OMG, DUH! I knew there was an obvious answer!

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
Around here, truck washes are set for cattle trailers.
They have personnel with big power washers getting them clean.
I have seen horse trailers there also.
I expect it would not take long for a horse trailer, compared with a big cattle truck.

Laurierace
Jul. 30, 2012, 11:46 AM
Add the acid wash if your trailer is aluminum and you leave the truck stop with a brand new looking trailer.

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, the one near me, you can pull in the wash, and then jump out, pause the auto machine,a nd they have pressure washer guns on the sides of the building and you can use those on the whole rig to really make sure you get where the washer may not reach, and then start the machine again, jump in before it gets to your open door, and let it do the job with the soap and whatnot. It dries it too!

springplainsfarm
Jul. 31, 2012, 05:15 AM
Add the acid wash if your trailer is aluminum and you leave the truck stop with a brand new looking trailer.

Anyway to add acid wash at home? Never heard of this.

Thanks!

Katyusha
Jul. 31, 2012, 08:58 AM

I have an aluminum trailer - what does the acid wash do?

Katyusha
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Also, if your horse urinates in the trailer, should you spray the mats down, or just remove the sawdust that soaked up the urine? I'm paranoid about getting the boards underneath wet.

red mares
Jul. 31, 2012, 10:41 AM
I have an aluminum trailer - what does the acid wash do?

It removes the white-ish oxidation layer that forms on the surface of any aluminum surface. The layer that protects aluminum from any further oxidation and corrosion.

2ndyrgal
Jul. 31, 2012, 10:45 AM
And the "RV type" cleaners. They'll give you a bad chemical burn if you aren't careful.

Just go to the truck wash place.

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 31, 2012, 11:06 AM
Also, if your horse urinates in the trailer, should you spray the mats down, or just remove the sawdust that soaked up the urine? I'm paranoid about getting the boards underneath wet.

I would rather spray the urine off the boards than leave it to rot the wood.

Also, those same boards are getting wet on the bottom whenever you trailer in the rain. Not much different than removing the mats and spraying the top too...

I remove my mats twice a year and pressure wash the entire inside. I do this in the middle of the summer, and in the fall when the trailer gets put away for winter. In between, I just make sure to remove any dirty sawdust and poop. My horses generally don't pee in the trailer, but if they do, I will remove mats after that trip and hose out. The twice a year thing is if they haven't peed in the trailer in between times.

Katyusha
Jul. 31, 2012, 11:33 AM

Also, those same boards are getting wet on the bottom whenever you trailer in the rain. Not much different than removing the mats and spraying the top too...

I remove my mats twice a year and pressure wash the entire inside. I do this in the middle of the summer, and in the fall when the trailer gets put away for winter. In between, I just make sure to remove any dirty sawdust and poop. My horses generally don't pee in the trailer, but if they do, I will remove mats after that trip and hose out. The twice a year thing is if they haven't peed in the trailer in between times.

Thank you!

vxf111
Jul. 31, 2012, 11:34 AM

Good advice!