PDA

View Full Version : what the heck crapped in my hay barn?

buck22
Jul. 27, 2012, 08:57 PM
I am not an icky poo person by a LONG stretch, and I love all critters large and small, even (especially!) the spooky slimy ones. But today I was shocked out of my muck boots an am in need of CoTH wisdom and consolation.

After moving some haybales I had stacked on pallets, not two weeks ago, I picked up the wooden pallet to sweep up the chaff and found a quite disturbing turd.

This was no little cute lil' poopy... this was a great big Cleveland Steamer. Under a wooden pallet :confused: under 16 bales of hay :confused: on a tarp over gravel surface. The largest entry space in the pallet is approximately the size of a deck of cards. :confused:

It resembled a pile of differently sized tootsie rolls, not pellets, not soft-serve squiggle. It was a turd approximately the size a 15# dog would make, bigger than a cat's turd. It was a pile 'o poo. There was no nest, no carcass or critter remains near by, no signs of scratching or scuffling, no tunneling or digging signs.

I should have taken photos but I was so horrified and ticked off I picked up the pile (in my gloved hand) and tossed it into the woods. It was a full handful.

So who is the owner of this masterpiece? Cats bury theirs, no coon or dog is going to fit into the teeny space. Skunks have no reason to crawl into little spaces in a hay barn, do they? Other than mice and barn spiders and hayseeds, there is no 'food', its a stand alone portable garage I use for hay storage. I've been in there nearly daily rearranging, its not a forgotten space or particularly safe hide out.

A 6' black rat snake that has recently adopted me, affectionately named SnakeyPoo, she is friendly and fetching and has been on a mouse rampage, I am so happy to have her around. Though she nests in the other barn (and pays me a visit each morning during my coffee) I am hoping against hope this is her work. I must admit however, despite being large for her species and a full figured gal, I would be shocked to learn a snake could crap this large.

Please, someone tell me its not possum poo :no:

2tempe
Jul. 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Did it look like this????????http://www.wildlife-removal.com/possumpoop.html

I'm now truly convinced that you can find anything on the internet.....lol

JB
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
It does indeed sound like possum pewp

rizzodm
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Well, that's a bunch of sh!t.

alicen
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
Just to be really safe, you might want to burn those gloves, but I'd defintely stop using them.

GotGait
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thank you. I'm dying! I guess I'm like a 12 year old with the poop and fart jokes, but I can't stop giggling. I woke my husband up. I needed a laugh.

Oh... and I'm guessing baby raccoon or poop-snake.
Is there a raffle prize?

hundredacres
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:32 PM
Wait....what is an "icky poo person"? The image I have is a dark brown version of the marshmallow guy in Ghost Busters.

Bluey
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
Around here pack rats make nests out of most anything, including piles of such stuff as you found, horse apples, dried weeds, hay stems, etc.

Maybe that pile was not dumped there, but left outside and something else moved it under there.

Hippolyta
Jul. 28, 2012, 01:28 AM
Hopefully not possum. EPM.

ICK

buck22
Jul. 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Did it look like this????????http://www.wildlife-removal.com/possumpoop.html

I'm now truly convinced that you can find anything on the internet.....lol

Now why didn't *I* think of googling poop pictures :confused::lol:

Sadly, yes, it did resemble the cluster of turds in the lower right hand corner on the first image on the page you shared... about the right size too... though not as spread out, these lincoln logs were stacked. Didn't have the doohickey twist of the upper ones. Author's comment "It tends to be more curly than straight." gives me a ray of hope.

eta: oh dear, I just googled snake poop, and while I found some pictures that resemble what I saw too, turns out python crap has value :eek: too bad its out of stock, its a possum deterrent
http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/snake-poop-python-poo-for-sale.html

I should go wrangle up SnakeyPoo, she could eat my mice AND pay my board :lol:

It does indeed sound like possum pewp
*snort* pewp. :lol:

What would it be doing here though? There was no nest or attempt to build one. The turd looked at least 4 days old (and not greying like the possum poops above). I've moved these pallets and stacked this hay several times in the last 3 months. I'm continually in there sweeping and leaf blowing. I'm back and forth daily taking my carriage in and out. Even the mice have given up nesting there as there is just so much activity. What on earth would a possum want in a busy active hay barn with no food source nearby (unless they eat hayseeds too?), is this normal activity for them?

And don't they like to be up high? like attics and trees and hay lofts maybe? This is on the ground. Whoever left this candygram was sandwiched between the pallet and the earth (over tarp and gravel).

Well, that's a bunch of sh!t.
OMG funny you say that :lol: After I got over the shock and horror (it was so unexpected, my jaw dropped slightly as I looked at the pile, then to the little holes in the pallet then back to the pile with that puzzled blank look confused dogs get "does not compute":confused:) I finally figured it had to be possum or snake and was so outraged at the idea of a possum hanging around that as I flung the feces I barked "what a bunch of S***!" :lol:

Just to be really safe, you might want to burn those gloves, but I'd defintely stop using them.
Good point. I am very upset over the idea of a possum feeling the need to crap around my horses' food source. I did go scrub the spot on the tarp with lysol too. I thought I was being over the top but perhaps not.

Oh... and I'm guessing baby raccoon or poop-snake.
Is there a raffle prize?
Poop-snake?!? HRM SnakeyPoo would not take kindly to that :lol: And yes if you can figure this out I will gladly give you a prize :lol: But if it turns out to be possum poop don't expect a very nice prize :lol:

Wait....what is an "icky poo person"? The image I have is a dark brown version of the marshmallow guy in Ghost Busters.
OMG thats gross, might give me a nightmare :lol: I meant I'm not one to get wound up over fecal matter ordinarily. Very few things shock or abhor me, I didn't want anyone to think I was complaining over your garden variety turd.

Maybe that pile was not dumped there, but left outside and something else moved it under there.
Thats an interesting thought, but this was stuck to the tarp floor, so I'm assuming the muffins were baked fresh and hot right there.

Hopefully not possum. EPM.

ICK
I know :no: As funny as poopy talk is, I really am upset by the idea of a possum going out of its way to take a shit where I store my horses' food.

Googling poop pictures, it could go either way between possum or snake. Snake I can buy more readily (though it would be really really huge for a snake), it could easily fit in the space, and since I already have a resident snake she could have just been hunting in that barn and took a nap under the pallet in the warm barn.

Possum is about the only other thing it could be though and I am not happy about that. And judging from poop pictures, it could go either way.

I'd be curious if anyone else has had experience with possums wanting to hang out around hay barns. If it has a real reason for wanting to be there then the likelyhood skyrockets.

Thanks so much everyone!

JB
Jul. 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, I NEVER knew snake poop looked like that! That explains some of the tootsie rolls I've seen around here!

2Jakes
Jul. 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
FWIW...snake poop can be a pretty good sized turd, even from a native-sized snake. If Snakey-poo had a big meal, like a large rat, the turd might be dog-sized. Did you see any white or cream colored, once-liquid-now-crumbly stuff nearby? That would be urates, like the white part of bird crap...snake poo is sometimes accompanied by urates, though not always.

Given the description of the space the poo was in I would not think opossum. Opossums, for all their less-than-cuteness and EPM potential, are fastidious (unless they are very debilitated)...so, if it was using that place to hide, it would probably make every effort to poop elsewhere.

Interesting thread...are you keeping an eye out for more deposits in that area? Perhaps you could post some pics if you find more...? :winkgrin:

anna's girl
Jul. 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
I vote the snake too. If she is 6 feet long that's a pretty big snake and therefore big poo. :)

buck22
Jul. 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
No there wasn't any white chalky urates with the poo, but I am aware its not every time they go too.

Phew, thanks so much for the insight on opossum behavior, I agree this doesn't fit that pattern.

I guess she must have just had one enormous meal, perhaps a chipmunk (never have seen evidence of a rat).

I don't particularly think SnakeyPoo is *that* huge, but everyone who sees her tends to think she's enormous, she is on the big side for her species. Everyone tells me she's easily 6', but I think she's closer to 5'.

Sunning herself (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/SnakeyPoo/be057eea.jpg)
Off for the morning hunt (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/SnakeyPoo/184bf5f3.jpg)
A clever huntress (http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/SnakeyPoo/?action=view&current=46025491.mp4)

Now that I think about it, about a month ago the place was crawling with smaller snakes, all following her around, I assume a bunch of male suitors. She was probably eating so aggressively so she could lay her clutch..... which would make a large meal, and large poo likely.

I just had no idea snakes could crap this large. :lol:

Thank you!! and yes I will be keeping an eye on the location, though it is filling in with hay for 2012 so pallets going down now won't be moved until next year. But if I do find such a prize in my crackerjacks again I'll definitely be taking photos! thank you!!!!

carolprudm
Jul. 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Nice pic of the lady sunning herself but you might want to keep your distance, that looked a whole lot like poison ivy she was sunning herself in.

FWIW a number of years ago I met a black snake laying her eggs in my manure pile. I removed them and hatched them out in a bucket rather than destroy them when we turned the pile

Bacardi1
Jul. 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
That certainly is one handsome snake!!

Hampton Bay
Jul. 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
She is rather large, and she could easily have made dog-sized poop.

JackieBlue
Jul. 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
Oh, she's beautiful! And so lucky to have found an appreciative soul to share her space with. I know far too many barn owners who deliver a swift death to anything that slithers. I LOVE black snakes! We have many resident snakes here, but my favorite is the local giant black snake that keeps all varieties of rodentia out of our outbuildings. I tell her every time I see her just how much her vigilance is appreciated!

2Jakes
Jul. 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
Snakey-poo is gorgeous! She is, indeed, very lucky to have found your place to call home! Hopefully the poo was her calling card to keep the rodents out and stake her claim to your hay barn!

vicarious
Jul. 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Is this a horse related thread? The mods just might shut it down!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

buck22
Jul. 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Aww, thank you guys. Nice to have so many snake supporters, *so* many people are bothered to the point of wanting to destroy them. I get that snakes top the phobia list of many, and goodness knows I have strange phobias of my own so who am I to judge, but its sad how many people feel the need to kill them off.

Thats incidentally how she got the goofy babytalk type name, so I can tease visitors that are horrified by her.... scared of big bad SnakeyPoo?? ;)

She is a very handsome lady, and she is very good at what she does and I am thrilled to have her around. I do like black snakes in general, they are curious, bold, adaptable and have an even temper, very nice animals.

And yes, horse related as my main concern was this might have been possum poo in which case a real potential health hazard to my horses and I would have had to start brainstorming measures to take to keep my horses' food supply safe.

Thank you all sooooo much!