PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wavy patterns in my arena.

Palmtreegirl3
Jul. 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know what causes these moguls in my ring and how to fix them, causing uneven footing. I use a Parma drag w John Deer 2305.

sk_pacer
Jul. 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
You're probably the culprit causing them. Most people get in the habit of running a piece of equipment in one direction only either because of familiarity or limitations of the design of the equipment.Even if it doesn't look like you are moving dirt with your drag, you are and it makes mounds and hollows. Ultimate in mounds in this area are around grain fields.....they are called headlands and were caused by the limitations of the discers - they could only be easily handled going clockkwise around the field and depositing, gradually, 2-4' high by 14'+ wide humps between the different fields. Don't go one direction only but vary it with every trip - clockwise, anti-clockwise, diagonally, up and down both length and width. If you have gone consistantly in one direction forever, you have probably pulled up base as well, making deeper and deeper holes with every trip. I would think to fix it, you have to start over - remove the footing and redo the base and replace the footing.

Palmtreegirl3
Jul. 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for that response, but I learned right off the bat that it was important to vary dragging pattern, so I do diagonal, up - back, circles and serpentines. I have had my drag for 3 years and this is a new thing. Any other suggestions?

sk_pacer
Jul. 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Most people don't learn that trick until they tear up the base, good on you for catching that before it got to be a problem. Next, look to something amiss with the drag - check the teeth, settings, and anything else you can think of. Also keep your speed down, getting the machinery bouncing can also make a mess.

AliCat518
Jul. 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
Roto harrow!!! We had waves in our ring, and tried everything to fix it. Finally we borrowed a roto harrow from SO's dad and they were completely fixed in one use. I highly recommend it.

HPFarmette
Jul. 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Aliens.

Cluck
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:27 AM
I would guess that you are going too fast and bouncing the drag (as already suggested). Do you have the levelling bar and roller on your Parma groomer? If not it might be worth adding them.