PDA

View Full Version : Rubber footing washing out of arena

keatssu
Jul. 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Has anyone had this problem? The salesman never mentioned this as a potential problem. We got 3 inches of rain last night and this morning there were piles of rubber around the arena. It is fenced with boards all the way around on the bottom - to hold the footing in.......

The arena has been in for about two months. This happened once before with a heavy rain. Any suggestions?

JB
Jul. 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
Rake it back in ;)

Rubber floats, that's all there is to it.

E D
Jul. 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Your boards aren't high enough or leak enough for rain water and rubber to pass through. I used curb bumpers, like the ones used in parking lots. Premade and ordered from a masonry supply. Installed on top of arena with rebar stakes through premade holes in the bumpers into the arena base. The bumpers haven't moved in 15 years. I do have movement of the rubber when we get those 9 inch rains because "rubber floats" and because of boarded horses who can't seem to pick up their feet. All arenas require maintenence - an arena rake is your best bet.

ReSomething
Jul. 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
Put up six inches of screening so your water will drain out but the rubber won't. That much rainfall can make a real mess with a sloping gravel driveway or drylot too. You just watch the gravel and the dirt heading off with the water.

keatssu
Jul. 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Put up six inches of screening so your water will drain out but the rubber won't. That much rainfall can make a real mess with a sloping gravel driveway or drylot too. You just watch the gravel and the dirt heading off with the water.

We spent the day yesterday doing just as you described, I think it will work very well, glad to know it has worked for you.

I do appreciate the constructive feedback. The first response I received was so incredibly unhelpful.

keatssu
Jul. 29, 2012, 05:57 PM
Your boards aren't high enough or leak enough for rain water and rubber to pass through. I used curb bumpers, like the ones used in parking lots. Premade and ordered from a masonry supply. Installed on top of arena with rebar stakes through premade holes in the bumpers into the arena base. The bumpers haven't moved in 15 years. I do have movement of the rubber when we get those 9 inch rains because "rubber floats" and because of boarded horses who can't seem to pick up their feet. All arenas require maintenence - an arena rake is your best bet.

Thanks - yes obviously the boards were not doing the job. The curb bumper idea is very clever.

We have a TR3 and a tractor with a bucket that came in handy for moving the rubber that we shoveled back into the arena back to the other side of the arena. The TR3 does a great job.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 30, 2012, 03:27 PM

For some reason, even though I think I know what you are describing, I cannot picture this at all--BUT I would LOVE to see a picture, pretty please!

SanJacMonument
Jul. 30, 2012, 06:22 PM
What kind of base does the arena have? It sounds like the water puddles, thus the rubber has a chance to float and flow out.

keatssu
Jul. 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
What kind of base does the arena have? It sounds like the water puddles, thus the rubber has a chance to float and flow out.

We have 6 inches of compacted class I sand - we did everything by the book, there is a 1% grade and it drains very well. I think the rubber comes up and floats with the heavy rain then gets carried off with the draining water. We haven't had any puddling or even sloshing.