PDA

View Full Version : Kiefer Built door repair?

Muckmaster2010
Jul. 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
I just recently purchased a 2001 Kiefer Built bp trailer and need to repair one of the rear doors. The door is kind of "floopy" and when I pull the trim back it looks like the inner wood core is rotted out. I know there was an issue in the past with Kiefer outsourcing doors but I think this is something different. I was wondering if I could simply take the door apart and replace the inner core with new wood? Has anyone tried this before? What kind of wood should I use/not use? Any other tips?
Thanks

Tom King
Jul. 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
Probably pressure treated plywood.

Ambitious Kate
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
The best plywood - which is rated "marine" plywood (might be the same as pressure treated, dunno) but marine plywood is meant to really hold up well under moisture. Use the highest grade, thickest size you can. I asume this is the door, not the ramp.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
Marine and pressure treated plywood are similar but not identical. Both are pressure treated, but in marine plywood there are no gaps in the core layers. For your uses, that's not necessary. The gaps are fine for larger areas and for applications where the plywood isn't going to be curved as in the hull of a ship.

I would probably go with 3/4 inch plywood if it will fit in the door, and I would seal it with a good polyurethane coat, including the edges, to help it last longer.

Muckmaster2010
Jul. 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Great! Thanks so much this is just the info I'm looking for! Has anyone ever made this repair?

Hampton Bay
Jul. 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
I haven't. I just ended up building a whole new ramp. Mine had some metal fatigue so it all had to go.

BasqueMom
Jul. 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
My Circle J two horse dressing room door has gotten water to the wood and needs to be replaced. Interested to see how your repair goes.