PDA

View Full Version : Pond Fish People, serious fish dying problem!!

2ndyrgal
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
Advice needed.

We have about a 2 acre pond, probably 30-40 ft deep in the center. Aerators installed professionally and working perfectly. Pond treated professionally by guys who know what type/how many fish there are. We feed recommended food at recommended times, in short, we are doing everything the fish and pond guys told us to do. Pond is about 7 years old as are 8 really big, really pretty Koi fish.

In the last 36 hours, I saw a flock of buzzards down by the pond. One of my favorite ones was being consumed. We could not determine why it died. Not a huge problem, just one fish, right?

Wrong. Went down last night after seeing buzzards and no time to check yesterday morning. Found a second boney carcass on the grass and near the bank, an obviously dead, but intact and, except that it was dead, healty looking fish with no obvious injury.

So 3 of my big about 24-30 inch, thick as your thigh Koi, who would come up to get fed in the evenings.

The only thing different in the last week or so was the introduction of some Pet Smart little Koi by my husband. They looked healthy and vibrant.

The fish that died woul have been about 7 years old.

Any ideas? The pond was just water tested and proclaimed healthy.

Donkaloosa
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
When I was in college, one of the priests on campus had a big black Lab who would frequently dive into the pond in front and "retrieve" the large koi who were there. They'd be all over the ground, looking "normal" except for where the birds had started in on them. Got any big stray dogs roaming around?

Donkaloosa
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
Other than that, we had a massive koi kill when I lived on the farm --- neighbors just uphill from us drained an above ground pool that hadn't been emptied in years, just had chemicals added --- they didn't drain it into the sewers but let it run down our yard into the pond. Killed off hundreds of koi of all sizes. It was pretty disgusting cleaning up that mess.

judybigredpony
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Herons.....

2ndyrgal
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
The placement of the farm makes it almost impossible for any chemical runoff, since we don't use any.

No stray dogs of any kind.

These things are WAYYYYY too big for Herons, they're probably nearly 3 feet long and weigh 15-20 pounds, they're enormous.

I could barely get it out without falling in, no beak marks whatsoever on the one last night.

Justa Bob
Jul. 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Herons.....

Herons keep the koi in check here - much to the pond owner's dismay. The buzzards might just show up after the initial mayhem.

Guin
Jul. 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
Has it been really hot where you are? Maybe the water temperature?

walknsound
Jul. 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
Advice needed.

We have about a 2 acre pond, probably 30-40 ft deep in the center. Aerators installed professionally and working perfectly. Pond treated professionally by guys who know what type/how many fish there are. We feed recommended food at recommended times, in short, we are doing everything the fish and pond guys told us to do. Pond is about 7 years old as are 8 really big, really pretty Koi fish.

In the last 36 hours, I saw a flock of buzzards down by the pond. One of my favorite ones was being consumed. We could not determine why it died. Not a huge problem, just one fish, right?

Wrong. Went down last night after seeing buzzards and no time to check yesterday morning. Found a second boney carcass on the grass and near the bank, an obviously dead, but intact and, except that it was dead, healty looking fish with no obvious injury.

So 3 of my big about 24-30 inch, thick as your thigh Koi, who would come up to get fed in the evenings.

The only thing different in the last week or so was the introduction of some Pet Smart little Koi by my husband. They looked healthy and vibrant.

The fish that died woul have been about 7 years old.

Any ideas? The pond was just water tested and proclaimed healthy.

I have a 1/12 acre lake, 12 ft. in depth when full, but seriously down now due to drought. Several years ago a bunch of our bass, catfish, bream died. We were told it was lack of oxygen in the water. Since you have an aerator, that's not gonna be the problem. I read the other day where a guy close to me had fish dying, he was told it was the heat. Anyway, we lost about 30 big fish, buzzards had a feast. Unless the new small fish brought some kind of fishy disease, don't know. My pond is man made, pump water in from old well we don't use anymore, but good water. That keeps it oxygenated. Hope you find problem, please post if you do. I've had couple people fishing lately, fish they caught were fat/healthy, so guess ok now. I need to know more about farm ponds.

3020HV
Jul. 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
2ndyrgal, if you are in an area where the weather has been - ahem - hot, it's likely the cause. I doubt a heron would leave behind a carcass.

What a shame to lose such nice fish, for whatever reason.

2ndyrgal
Jul. 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
Why just the Koi? And the pond is very deep in the middle and not down all that far (probably at least 30 feet deep in the center, some hidey holes, etc.

I hope we don't lose any more.

Last week or so was just as hot and they came up to feed just like always.

Big and lovely fish.

It's supposed to cool down this weekend, maybe that and the rain will help.

judybigredpony
Jul. 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
Still say Heron and 2nd hot weather...we lost 3 Koi same size but older last year in the heat...this year I pump in some fresh water weekly and have water falls going..to replace them @ that size..$1k each :(....

Big Koi dealer here w/ huge natural ponds says it happens, the jump out onto bank and die.
we see it sometimes...

Tamara in TN
Jul. 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
your pond has "turned over"
I have 11 big ones and sometimes the heat causes the oxygen to drop and the fish die
esp in the more shallow ones
it just happens

Tamara

goodhors
Jul. 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Lot of lake fish dying around here, water is too warm in the lakes. With the heat daily, above 85F, lakes do get heated up for overall warming.

Unless your pond is getting new water from springs, it is probably too warm overall. The aerators have to be helping, but they are not cooling the water.

My little garden pond, 300 gal., gets warm, but I can run the hose and add cold water to prevent my goldfish dying. I would think you might kill your well trying to cool off a big pond running water in to it.

sk_pacer
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
Water is probably too warm. Koi, like all fancy carp and that includes goldfish, are cold water fish and a few degrees rise in temperature can send them belly up. I don't know how fussy they are about oxygenated water as they are dual breathers, air and oxygen filtering through the gills

2ndyrgal
Jul. 27, 2012, 09:23 AM
And it's supposed to cool down.

The buzzards were waiting on the fence, but no more "bodies" this morning.

I know the buzzards are necessary, but when they perch on the fence like that, it kind of creeps me out.

goodhors
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
The buzzards were waiting on the fence, but no more "bodies" this morning.

I know the buzzards are necessary, but when they perch on the fence like that, it kind of creeps me out.

Just seeing buzzards on a fence is not so bad. Think about seeing them on that fence while on your way to compete cross country that morning! You know it will be strenuous, but REALLY! Buzzards? Weirded us out, until we started laughing because they resembled the political cartoon buzzards of doom. We actually had a great go that day.

We later learned the buzzards sit on the fence to warm up their wings to fly after a cool night. They are NOT "out to get you", just getting solar heated for the day.

Better to have them clean up the dead fish, than smell it for a while on hot days. I HAVE done beaches, dead fish and it stinks.

wendy
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
The only thing different in the last week or so was the introduction of some Pet Smart little Koi by my husband.

could easily have brought some disease along with them. When buying commercial fish generally you get the best results if you quarantine them for a week (to see if any are diseased among them) before introducing them to your main fish container (pond). Commercial fish, esp. from places like petsmart, are often heavily contaminated with disease organisms.