PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my "new to me" 2500HD tonight!

B Street Tango
Jul. 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm so excited and figured others here could appreciate it with me. I've been used truck shopping for a little while and finally found a 2004 Chevy Durmax Diesel 2500HD with 102,000 miles on it in decent shape at a fare price. It's a 4x4 extended cab with the tow package that hasn't really done a whole lot of work so hopefully has lots of life left in it. I had my mechanic check it out and he gave me the thumbs up. So I picked it up tonight and drove it home! :D And it's a pretty hunter green with cloth seats and spray in bed iiner.

I ordered a new trailer last week so will hopefully be mobile by early to mid-September!! WooHooo!!

mzm farm
Jul. 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
What trailer did you order?!
Congrats on the truck, sounds nice

Simbalism
Jul. 26, 2012, 03:28 AM
Congrats! It is such a good feeling to be independantly mobile.

quarterhorse4me
Jul. 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
Have fun!!! Should be a great truck! My GMC Duramax is.

lilitiger2
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, congrats! Sounds lke a great truck you will really enjoy!! Careful shopping pays off!!

Rabtfarm
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
We have been using an 05 Duramax between Virginia and Maine for the last 4 years and it has held up well.(135,000 miles now). Be prepared to replace the fuel filter frequently(a job you can do yourself and save some serious $). Oil changes on diesels average over $100. You can look up online how to reset your oil and your fuel filter "alarms" on the truck computer online; it involves steeping on the accelerator various times with the ignition on/truck engine not running.
Other issues: brake line over the left front wheel rusted out twice. Idler bearings (2) will need replacement on the serpentine belt..another fairly easy job, but the truck loses everything when it goes: battery, power steering, power brakes, etc.
If your trailer is a bumperpull, then take advantage of the roll over tonneau cover add on which covers the bed of the pickup, making it waterproof and out of sight for saddles, hay, suitcases etc.
Lastly the tailgate on these trucks is made of tinfoil, so be careful! We have had ours banged out and repainted three times.

MtyMax
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
Congratulations! We also just got a new to us 2500HD...although its a gasser and not diesel. Enjoy it!

vxf111
Jul. 26, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have a similar truck, mine's a 2004.5. I just ADORE it. I LOVE it. Congrats!!!

HydroPHILE
Jul. 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
I love our truck! We just bought an '04 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab, 4x4 (gasoline.) We got a great deal on it because the owner was going through a divorce and didn't want the truck as part of his divorce settlement. DH is a mechanic so he went and did an inspection on it (didn't need to put it on a lift because of the ground clearance without a lift on it.)

We also love it because you can fold down the crew cab seats, and it is MORE than enough room for our German Shepherd and Pit Bull to ride in the cab (they never ride in the bed anyways, but it's more room than my Honda Accord's back seat.)

It has some minor scratches, but it's a farm truck so.... :) I love driving it, too. It handles so much better than our '04 extended cab 1500 truck.

B Street Tango
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
Thx everyone! I test drove a 3500 long bed and that thing drove like a car...so smooth, but it had other issues so passed on it. This one is a short bed and feels a little more like a bumpy truck but it will be primarily for hauling. I liked the extended cab better for me because when I'm working out of it for a show, I can open up the front and back doors and dont have to walk around the back door to get to the seat. And I only have one dog...my pittie can sit in the front or back seat. :D

I ordered a new hawk. I splurged on a gooseneck, 2-horse straight load and added an extra foot in the dressing room and an awning. I figured the horse was getting a brand new ride while I had to settle for a used one...i deserved a little extra room and some shade, too. :cool:

I'm at the dmv now trying to get the truck registered and titled so I can start driving it! ;)