PDA

View Full Version : farm shopping

Eastern Promises
Jul. 25, 2012, 11:33 AM
Just posting this in case there are other sites that I dont know about...........

been on realtor.com, coldwellbanker.com, remax.com

constantly hearing how the housing market crashed, all time low, bla bla bla!!! yeah??? WHERE?!!!! I havent seen prices come down in my area!

I tried searching for foreclosures but those sites always want you to PAY!! realtors piss me off because theyre like shady car salesmen, if you arent buying a MILLION dollar house TODAY, they dont want to talk to you. I know what we can afford and I DONT want to go over there so STOP showing me places that are WAY over my price unless the people plan on coming ALL the way down TO my price!!!

anyways.........anyone know of farm for sale websites???
or do you just put up with realtors and hope they find something you like?

carolprudm
Jul. 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
I know of 3 here in my neighborhood, $625K to $1.1 mil

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 25, 2012, 11:40 AM
You should be able to search for foreclosures for free on your county's website. That's how it is here. I would talk to your lender about buying a foreclosure and what will be involved or if it is possible (depending on whether or not you require financing). Some types of financing require the property to be up to a certain level and that includes outbuildings, if I understand the rules correctly.
[Edited to add--the ones on the county website here are already going to auction--hence the lender issues if you need to borrow! Just to clarify]

Prices are up in my area. They never went down. I think that is a regional thing. I know they sure went down in my "old" area though (minneapolis). *sigh*

I just think you need a different realtor. Mine stuck to my guidelines, although I generally found the properties before he did. Of course we were looking for years, and went through A LOT of places before we made our first offer (which was last year). We lost that because we had a contingency to sell our house. This spring we sold our house, so we would be taken more seriously.

Good Luck!

walknsound
Jul. 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
I looked for two years before finding this place. There was nothing for sale I didn't know about! LOL! We made a deposit the day we looked at it b/c reasonable price, everything we wanted. I was terrified the old man would sell it before we could get it, I called the bank every day! LOL! It may take some time, homework, but you'll find your place, don't give up. Good luck!

HPFarmette
Jul. 25, 2012, 12:21 PM
www.unitedcountry.com

geog272
Jul. 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
I totally understand. We just bought a place (a foreclosure) but it took two years of looking. Prices have not come down here due to the influence of rich summer people. At least here, all the foreclosures are listed on the MLS. However, be prepared: it took us over 6 months and many headaches to close on our house, and that is apparently quite normal for a foreclosure.

Valentina_32926
Jul. 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
we have local sites like "Ocala4sale.com" (etc. for Orlando, Jacksonville, etc...) all lsiting relaestate as well as horses, tack, etc.

Also what about 4 sale by owner sites?

Worth a try (we rented/sold our last 2 places using sites like these and saved the realtor costs).

ariel.damon
Jul. 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
What location are you looking at? We are considering putting our place up for sale, in western / central Mass. Not big, but enough room for three horses. Not on the market currently, so it wouldn't come up on realtor's searches...

IronwoodFarm
Jul. 25, 2012, 01:08 PM
My suggestion is to work with a realtor who specializes in farm properties. Internet shopping is okay, but it is not the same as seeing the property. You're likely to need a realtor for that.

We looked for about 6 months before finding what we wanted. And over that time period, what we thought we wanted and what we bought changed. We were lucky to work with a knowledgable realtor. I appreciate that the OP may have had bad luck with prior realtors, but they are not all like shady used car salesman.

ReSomething
Jul. 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
www.unitedcountry.com (http://www.unitedcountry.com)

We found that site and they had lovely farms for sale, BUT. None of the farms had a physical address, just a general location. For me the actual physical address is very important, if I can't hack the commute I have no intention of looking no matter how "perfect" the place is.
And, when we got here on vacation every single prospect that they had at that time was "under contract". Well, why is it on your website then? I understand that contracts fall through so often places remain on the website but why is there no notation that it is under contract? I just drove 50 miles for a maybe??

What I did was retain a buyer's agent. She wasn't a horse farm expert, we couldn't afford a turnkey horse farm, but she worked hard for me and worked with me and we got a place I like very much. And the other thing, in KY especially there are offices that don't list in the MLS and/ or the MLS is extremely regional. So I would drive around neighborhoods and see signs and have to write down the agency name and go hunt for information that wasn't available on Realtor.com or any site that was likely to be found by an out of state/area buyer.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
A few other ideas:

1) Facebook. I put it on facebook and specifically posted to the town's facebook friends' page (which they had) that I was looking for an approx. 10 acre place.

2) I told large animal vets, who drive all over the countryside and do a lot of chit-chatting with farmers while they do their job.

3) I told my CPA, who is sort of the local CPA. She did call me about a word-of-mouth place that was going to be listed, but it was too far. Still, everyone tells their CPA all kinds of stuff.

Put a "Farm Wanted" ad up on the bulletin board at the local vet clinics (particularly large animal) and also at local feed stores.

SharonA
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
I can spend hours looking through all the absolute dream properties (for me) at:

Farms & Barns (www.farmsandbarns.com)

and Bean Group (www.beangroup.com). Bean Group is slightly more work than Farms and Barns to search through, but you can sort by acreage, region, etc.

It seems like if you do an internet search on "New England Farm Property" you get a bunch of other sites, too.

When I win the lottery that I never play, I have about 30 farms "bookmarked" and I AM BUYING THEM ALL!!! They're all perfect for what I want, and money will be no object with the $350 million payout that I expect.

suz
Jul. 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
What location are you looking at? We are considering putting our place up for sale, in western / central Mass. Not big, but enough room for three horses. Not on the market currently, so it wouldn't come up on realtor's searches...

and my place too in north central vermont is about to be listed.
20 minutes to btv, montpelier, stowe and the mad river valley.

oh and check whinney new york.

NJRider
Jul. 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
Foreclosed property after it goes back to the bank

http://www.homepath.com/

horseclicks is actually a very popular site for horse farms

http://www.horseclicks.com/properties-for-sale

PeteyPie
Jul. 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
I like trulia and zillow:
www.trulia.com
www.zillow.com

You can specify acreage and use the map function as well. I also use an MLS site that my realtor gave me a link to. Some sites list APNs (property ID numbers from the county/borough assessment system) which you can then cross reference on the county's website if the county is up-to-date on the internet.