PDA

View Full Version : storing grain in humid climates?

morganpony86
Jul. 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
I'd like to hear suggestions for how to store grain in humid climates. I only have a few horses, and one of them gets Empower (the high fat supplement grain). He's given 1.5-3lbs/day (depending on workload), and it comes in 40lb bags. So in some instances I have a bag for 20+ days. I've had two bags go moldy on me before they're done in the summer in the northern Midwest. I've just recently moved to the south and I'd like to figure out how to avoid mold now that it's 90% humidity!

AliCat518
Jul. 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
I dont feed grain anymore but when I did, I just poured the feed into trashcans. It would stay good quite a while like that

D Taylor
Jul. 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
Have any extra storage space in the freezer? Pull 10 or so pounds out of the bag for use at the barn and put the rest in the freezer. Refill the barn supply as needs be.

Here I store ingredients and then crimp/mix as needed. Basically the feed made this AM will be fed this PM. The feed made this PM will be fed tomorrow AM. My bulk unprocessed ingredients have a shelf life of 3 mths to 18mths as long as they do not come in direct contact with H2O. In the winter with the extreme cold I can mix feed a couple days in advance.

In the off chance I need a prebagged feeds from the feedstore then in this heat/humidy I never purchase more than a 10 day supply.

morganpony86
Jul. 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
I wasn't sure if trashcans would just cause more problems, so it's good to know that they worked for you.

And I hadn't thought about the freezer. If I have a problem, it may be worth it to buy a big horizontal freezer. I do try to buy a bag at a time, but as I said I don't always go through the bags fast enough, and the Empower is rather expensive to be wasting it every month.

cutter99
Jul. 22, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have Tuff Stuff containers that are hard rubber with a fitted hard rubber lid. I've had these containers for at least 12 years and have never had a problem with mold. I do keep some in the bottom of my bank barn where things can mold, but have not had an issue. I have containers that hold anywhere from one 50 lb bags to a 55 gallon size.

I also store bagged feed in the bottom of my bank barn on pallets that do not touch any walls. Even with the extreme heat and humidity we have had this year, I have not had any problems. Air circulation all around the pallet seems to make a big difference.

TheJenners
Jul. 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
I lived in Alabama and worked at a 70 horse facility. While the "main" grain went too fast to mold, we had some horses on senior, sweet feed, etc, and they rarely went bad in the trash cans (metal or rubber). FWIW, I think the times they went bad, they often came with a hint of it already developing from the feed store.

Getting a small chest freeze would work for you, plus keeps rodents out. BIG prob in the south, tenacious little meeses.

ChocoMare
Jul. 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
Georgia here, where humid is a season unto itself. One answer: Dead Chest Freezer.

Moisture, critter, bug, moisture proof means of storing any and all feed stuffs.

Check Craig's List free section or your local www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org) chapter. I've found 4 this way, 2 I kept and 2 I shared with other horse owners ;)

JB
Jul. 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
I store all my feed in either metal or plastic trash cans. The most it takes me to get through something, this Summer for example, is about 25 days right now. Even in this weather, with a pelleted feed (ration balancer) nothing is remotely moldy at the bottom, and that's in an enclosed tack room, no windows, in the NW corner of the barn (so gets lots of direct sun all day), BUT, the ceiling is open-ish to the roof if the barn (there are some ceiling tiles and insulation, but it's not truly enclosed). So, that might help some.

I've stored alfalfa pellets in the plastic trash can for MONTHS, Spring to Fall, without them getting the slightest moldy at the bottom.

GotMyPony
Jul. 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
I second the dead chest freezer! Ours is about 5' long and holds one each 50 lb. bag of grain, beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, plus a couple of supplement tubs and a few things like the jar of Swat that would otherwise liquify in the summer heat. Build a shelf above it (high enough to let the top open all the way) and you've got a great place to store empty buckets and other stuff.

Hippolyta
Jul. 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
good practice is to have one extra, empty trash can:
when you get to bottom of your grain & have a new bag, dump new bag in empty can & add remainder on top- this way you don't just keep old stuff at the bottom.

Grain in old chest freezer is def. best option - keeps out everybody (mice, bugs), as mentioned above, including loose horses if they get into locked grain room (some manage...)

JB
Jul. 24, 2012, 09:47 AM
I use my trashcan lids to dump the little bit left :)

LauraKY
Jul. 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
When it's really hot and humid and I was using Empower as a supplement for one horse, I'd pour a weeks worth out in a large tupperware container in the barn and bring the rest into the house. I store my TC senior in the feed closet in the house in the winter too. That way it's not a frozen brick.

LauraKY
Jul. 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
I use my trashcan lids to dump the little bit left :)

Me too. Works out just fine.

PRS
Jul. 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
I live in Georgia too and have used large Rubbermaid trash cans for over 20 years. They work great. The ones I have can hold as much as 150 pounds at a time and I've never had it go bad and have never had rodents get into the bin. When it's time to refill, I dump the little bit left into a bucket, refill and top off with the old stuff.

jbonifas
Jul. 24, 2012, 06:49 PM
I would use the galvanized trash cans as the rubbermaid ones can and will be eaten thru by mice. I live in hot and steamy Louisiana and my bags of feed I have in my horse trailer dressing room with a fan on 24/7 for air circulation and I buy enought feed to last 2 to 3 weeks.. I also keep feed in the barn in 55 gallon drums with lids and that seems to work (holds 5 bags of feed at a time). I feed and oil covered feed in lieu of a molasses base sweet feed and that set up works for me. (Sunday our heat index was in the 110 range)