PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy round fence posts?

She's Pure Gold
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
DH and I plan to put up Ramm fencing at our new farm and I'm having trouble searching on line for plain round wood fence posts- the ones I'm finding (which are few) are all pre-made for split rail fencing or designed for decorative yard fencing. Where do you all buy fence posts? Where can I get the best deals? I'm guessing places like Home Depot and Lowes are going to mark them up a bit more than perhaps a lumber yard. We'll be buying enough to fence in about an acre+. We're in MA north of Boston if anyone local has recommendations of specific places. TIA!

showidaho
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Tractor Supply should have them...they do in our area.

Gryhnd
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
We've gotten them delivered from lumber supply place when we needed a large amount, and when we need a small amount, we've gotten them from Tractor Supply.

ReSomething
Jul. 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
Around here the feed mills often have fencing supplies, or can direct you.

alabama
Jul. 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
I got mine at our feed/farm supply store. They have sized from 4"-5" up to 10"-12".

wsmoak
Jul. 22, 2012, 07:20 PM
The best deal I found for corner posts is from a place that supplies telephone and utility poles. They chop off the excess at the top and sell large diameter (6-12") 10' pressure treated posts for $7 each.

I figure it cost me another $1 in fuel to go get them, but that's still *way* cheaper than I can buy shorter, lower quality corner posts at TSC or similar.

Too far away for you, but it's http://www.acepole.com/index.html .

I'd call the local phone or power company and ask where they get their poles.

TheJenners
Jul. 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
Great idea re: power poles!! I'll be filing that away for sure...

She's Pure Gold
Jul. 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
The best deal I found for corner posts is from a place that supplies telephone and utility poles. They chop off the excess at the top and sell large diameter (6-12") 10' pressure treated posts for $7 each.

I figure it cost me another $1 in fuel to go get them, but that's still *way* cheaper than I can buy shorter, lower quality corner posts at TSC or similar.

Too far away for you, but it's http://www.acepole.com/index.html .

I'd call the local phone or power company and ask where they get their poles.

Great idea! Thanks will look into that. I checked on Tractor Supply's website and found them- not sure why I didn't find them before. Oh well. Thanks for the tips!